Has there ever been...

thebarlowbandit
All State

Has there ever been...

Post by thebarlowbandit »

A better program than Wheelersburg basketball in history of Southern Ohio?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: Has there ever been...

Post by Bleeding Red »

Yes. By far better.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

There have been numerous teams go to State from the SEO regional area and not win state with very good teams, with too many to mention that won numerous districts but not regionals, many when there were only 2 divisions (A , B) which turned into (A, AA) let alone 3 or 4 divisions like now. I think for most state appearances and great programs regionally over the years it would go something like this:
Portsmouth - 15 appearances (4 titles, 4 runners up), Zanesville - 12 appearances (3 titles, 1 r/u), Marietta - 8 appearances (1 r/u), Indian Valley South - 6 appearances (2 titles, 2 r/u, Bob & Larry Huggins dad Charlie's teams in 70's), Burg (6 apearances, 2 r/u), Southeastern Ross (5 appearances), Sheridan (6 appearaces including this year - 2 schools Glenford and Somerset won 2 titles in early 40's and combined to form Sheridan in 1960). , Waterloo Wonders with 3 trips won 2 titles in mid 30's and were a powerhouse thru the Early 40's), New Lex St. Aloysius won a title in 54., Nelsonville was 2nd in 52, South Webster , Oak Hill and Chilly with their titles recently. Others i'm aware of that went to State at different times are Waverly who had a lot of great teams under CD Hawhee, Albany, Pomeroy (2x), Middleport, Chesapeake, Ironton (3x, 1 2nd), Belpre (3x, 1 2nd), North Adams , Eastern Meigs and Racine Southern (2x, 1 2nd). I've been around long enough to see a lot of the above teams play and it's been a treat. :D

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
25th Street NW
Varsity

Post by 25th Street NW »

Portsmouth

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:32 am There have been numerous teams go to State from the SEO regional area and not win state with very good teams, with too many to mention that won numerous districts but not regionals, many when there were only 2 divisions (A , B) which turned into (A, AA) let alone 3 or 4 divisions like now. I think for most state appearances and great programs regionally over the years it would go something like this:
Portsmouth - 15 appearances (4 titles, 4 runners up), Zanesville - 12 appearances (3 titles, 1 r/u), Marietta - 8 appearances (1 r/u), Indian Valley South - 6 appearances (2 titles, 2 r/u, Bob & Larry Huggins dad Charlie's teams in 70's), Burg (6 apearances, 2 r/u), Southeastern Ross (5 appearances), Sheridan (6 appearaces including this year - 2 schools Glenford and Somerset won 2 titles in early 40's and combined to form Sheridan in 1960). , Waterloo Wonders with 3 trips won 2 titles in mid 30's and were a powerhouse thru the Early 40's), New Lex St. Aloysius won a title in 54., Nelsonville was 2nd in 52, South Webster , Oak Hill and Chilly with their titles recently. Others i'm aware of that went to State at different times are Waverly who had a lot of great teams under CD Hawhee, Albany, Pomeroy (2x), Middleport, Chesapeake, Ironton (3x, 1 2nd), Belpre (3x, 1 2nd), North Adams , Eastern Meigs and Racine Southern (2x, 1 2nd). I've been around long enough to see a lot of the above teams play and it's been a treat. :D
I’ll add Whiteoak, Eastern Brown And Lynchburg Clay to your final 4 list and Marshall won it all in 1928? (Part of Hillsboro District now)

Return to “Boys Basketball”