SE DIV III Athens Regional

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

SE DIV III Athens Regional

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Until they put the private schools in there own Championships, who do you see knocking off the Harvest Preps or the Africentrics of the world? They can bring in anyone they want from anywhere in the world! Little different than open enrollment

Burg had one of the better teams around here in awhile and still lost by 14 to HP.

Someone throw out some teams that can knock them off if they keep coming to Athens.

Burg? Has some size coming back and shooters but don't think they will hang with HP next year.

Oak Hill? Lost a lot this year

Ironton? Young team but don't think they can hang with them

Chesapeake has some nice players coming back but would still lose by 20-25.

Adena returns a lot but got smoked this year by them. Same would happen next year

Could you even put a team together to compete with that? Could a team with Holden, Truitt, Blevins, Bockway, Darby, Carrico, Caldwell, Sexton and maybe Terry from Alexander and a few others have competed with them?

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: SE DIV III Athens Regional

Post by thebarlowbandit »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:04 pm Until they put the private schools in there own Championships, who do you see knocking off the Harvest Preps or the Africentrics of the world? They can bring in anyone they want from anywhere in the world! Little different than open enrollment

Burg had one of the better teams around here in awhile and still lost by 14 to HP.

Someone throw out some teams that can knock them off if they keep coming to Athens.

Burg? Has some size coming back and shooters but don't think they will hang with HP next year.

Oak Hill? Lost a lot this year

Ironton? Young team but don't think they can hang with them

Chesapeake has some nice players coming back but would still lose by 20-25.

Adena returns a lot but got smoked this year by them. Same would happen next year

Could you even put a team together to compete with that? Could a team with Holden, Truitt, Blevins, Bockway, Darby, Carrico, Caldwell, Sexton and maybe Terry from Alexander and a few others have competed with them?
This issue is in the hands of the schools themselves. Public schools have voted to stay with the privates. And those schools are a result of legal action by your state lawmakers. School choice is a state law, and depriving people of extra curricular is a federal law. There are 13-14 exceptions to transfer rules, all of those are brought about by local leaders and voted on by the member schools of the OHSAA. Public schools far out weigh private schools in Ohio.

Oldhickory82
Riding the Bench

Post by Oldhickory82 »

Sugar Greek took prep to ot last year and lost by what 1 or 2 points...so stop complaining that southeast teams cant beat beat prep...if my panthers can beat garaway back in '10 and '11 in regional semis...other southeast ohio teams can...just have to execute...that's not a slight to anyone...I hate the burg..hate the burg...but I would have rather see them at state than. H.p. but as I'm sure has been said...who ever the s.e. team is they are gonna have to play near 100% of potential and prep will have to play down..I wasnt at at prep burg..it sounds like burg played great d...but not great o..but sounds like they put up a good effort..they lost ..so what what 24 1 ..25 and 1..ain't nothing to be ashamed of or make fun of and I hate the burg but no one cant hate on the burg for losing to prep...and as I live In Loveland plan on watching Holden playing n.k.u. and wish the kid a good college career

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

We'll make our own tournament... with blackjack and hookers!

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I think it will be a long time before we see another D-III team as talented as this year’s Wheelersburg team. They could have beat Harvest Prep if they played well but they didn’t. With that said I can’t see any team in the near future beating the Central District champions. Remember Columbus Academy gave HP their toughest test in the tournament so there was two teams that could have won the SE Region from the Central District.

In my opinion, we will see a lot of talent transferring to D-IV teams from now on. Because of the shift of the Central District powers to D-III, D-IV is now the best way to get to the Final Four. In the past a lot of kids transferred to Wheelersburg in hopes of getting to the Final Four and winning a Title. That window has closed. Looking back .... in reality it was never really open because in the past 30 years the 3 state titles from the Southeast has been in D-II and D-IV. (Chilly Div- II, Webster D-IV & Oak Hill D-IV)

With one D-IV school actively recruiting and having success with it, it will be interesting to see it they continue to keep the market or if others D-IV teams will also benefit from transfers! I guess time will tell!

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I still say assign at higher number to move ins and move schools up another division and make the field more even. If these schools allow transfers to come in all the time , then they expect to be moved to a higher level of competition by going up a division. But in reality HP isnt even the best in Div 3 in basketball.But should be moved up a division as other schools that does same thing. Then maybe this would stop the travel team mentality of these parents and schools and students

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Congratulations to Burg who belonged in the big dance. It's a shame that every year four private schools represent Ohio in Columbus. CB numbers in basketball don't mean anything when there are only four divisions. D-3 is stronger than D-2 this year with Harvest Prep, Purcell Marian, Cardinal Stritch, and Lutheran East. Maybe 5 divisions instead of 4 and stronger CB numbers. Or put privates in their own region and let them duke it out. I think it's reasonable to say Wheelersburg was the best traditional school in D3? Could have had a shot at the state title if privates were all in one region. Allowing 3 public schools to reach Columbus makes things more exciting, even if the private school wins the state tourney every year.

OSU Alumni 2000
Riding the Bench

Post by OSU Alumni 2000 »

There doesn't seem to be an issue in baseball or football with burg's success and private schools.
Just curious, do any of these private schools even have football or baseball teams? if they do, are they in different divisions?
or is recruiting in basketball favored over other sports?

25th Street NW
Varsity

Post by 25th Street NW »

Africentric is a public school. It is a part of the Columbus City school system.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

burgfella69 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:37 am Congratulations to Burg who belonged in the big dance. It's a shame that every year four private schools represent Ohio in Columbus. CB numbers in basketball don't mean anything when there are only four divisions. D-3 is stronger than D-2 this year with Harvest Prep, Purcell Marian, Cardinal Stritch, and Lutheran East. Maybe 5 divisions instead of 4 and stronger CB numbers. Or put privates in their own region and let them duke it out. I think it's reasonable to say Wheelersburg was the best traditional school in D3? Could have had a shot at the state title if privates were all in one region. Allowing 3 public schools to reach Columbus makes things more exciting, even if the private school wins the state tourney every year.
You guys are really starting to reach, honestly. Division 2 is not weaker than D3.

Columbus South is the real deal and one of the best teams in Columbus regardless of division. They beat Africentric badly twice and their only loss is a to a very, very good D1 team in Walnut Ridge (the same team that beat a very good SEO Chillicothe team by 29).. The only 'common opponent' we can look at is Northland who South beat by 17 and Harvest Prep won narrowly late in the game.

Sheridan has enough size and talent to compete with any of the D3 schools. Not saying they'd win, but they'd be right there.

Akron Buchtel goes through the gauntlet with their regular season schedule. They just knocked off a perennial power and one of the best private school programs in the state, VASJ, by 14 in the regional final. If they can beat a private school as good as VASJ by double digits, I'm quite certain they could play with (and beat) any private school in D3.

On top of that, Trotwood Madison is one of the best schools in the state REGARDLESS of division. They'd beat any of these D3 private schools by double digits and I'd easily bet on that. They've won their tournament games (in order) by 45, 57, 22, 34, and just won their Regional Final by 48..... 48!!!

I know some of you guys are upset about losing to a private school in Harvest Prep but lets stay within reality. None of the D3 schools left are even remotely as dominant in D3 as Trotwood is in D2.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth is 7-2 in their last 9 regional final games, and has an all time state tournament record of 16-11, which is the 3rd most wins in state tournament history. 8-1 in the last 9 state semifinal games. My Trojans are down now, and most likely will be next year too, but in the near future PHS will have another very good team that could make a run to the state. Our last regional final was in 2015, when the Trojans lost 49-45 to Columbus Eastmoor Academy, a game in which PHS had the lead going into the 4th quarter.

Portsmouth has proven time and again that it can compete and win against schools outside the SE district. PHS is the last SE district school to win a game in the Final 4, that being a 74-66 win over Ottawa-Glandorf in the 2012 D3 state semifinal.

The fact remains that since the OHSAA went to 4 divisions in 1988, no SE district team has ever won the state title in D3. Portsmouth's title in 1988 was in D2. South Webster won the D4 title in 2006, Chillicothe won the D2 title in 2008, and Oak Hill won the D4 title in 2009.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

It'sMyOpinion: I actually think that D2 is the best path for a SE team to make the state......case in point this year's Sheridan Generals beat New Philadelphia in the regional final. The OHSAA set up the D2 regionals so that a SE or East team would make the state. People can criticize the OHSAA all they want, but they made it much easier for the SE and East to send a team to the Schott, with no Central District team coming to Athens. Every now and then, though, the regional format changes, and in the future a team from the Central could be coming to the Convo.

Unfortunately for Unioto in 2015, Columbus Walnut Ridge ended the 24-0 Shermans' season with a 46-45 win in the D2 regional semis. Walnut Ridge ended up winning the regional. That Unioto team would have won this year's D2 regional.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:41 am
burgfella69 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:37 am Congratulations to Burg who belonged in the big dance. It's a shame that every year four private schools represent Ohio in Columbus. CB numbers in basketball don't mean anything when there are only four divisions. D-3 is stronger than D-2 this year with Harvest Prep, Purcell Marian, Cardinal Stritch, and Lutheran East. Maybe 5 divisions instead of 4 and stronger CB numbers. Or put privates in their own region and let them duke it out. I think it's reasonable to say Wheelersburg was the best traditional school in D3? Could have had a shot at the state title if privates were all in one region. Allowing 3 public schools to reach Columbus makes things more exciting, even if the private school wins the state tourney every year.
You guys are really starting to reach, honestly. Division 2 is not weaker than D3.

Columbus South is the real deal and one of the best teams in Columbus regardless of division. They beat Africentric badly twice and their only loss is a to a very, very good D1 team in Walnut Ridge (the same team that beat a very good SEO Chillicothe team by 29).. The only 'common opponent' we can look at is Northland who South beat by 17 and Harvest Prep won narrowly late in the game.

Sheridan has enough size and talent to compete with any of the D3 schools. Not saying they'd win, but they'd be right there.

Akron Buchtel goes through the gauntlet with their regular season schedule. They just knocked off a perennial power and one of the best private school programs in the state, VASJ, by 14 in the regional final. If they can beat a private school as good as VASJ by double digits, I'm quite certain they could play with (and beat) any private school in D3.

On top of that, Trotwood Madison is one of the best schools in the state REGARDLESS of division. They'd beat any of these D3 private schools by double digits and I'd easily bet on that. They've won their tournament games (in order) by 45, 57, 22, 34, and just won their Regional Final by 48..... 48!!!

I know some of you guys are upset about losing to a private school in Harvest Prep but lets stay within reality. None of the D3 schools left are even remotely as dominant in D3 as Trotwood is in D2.
Trotwood is a perennial power in both football and basketball. They make runs every year. Teams in this area cannot and do not do that because they don't draw kids in from bigger cities. Akron Buchtel enrolls kids from Akron obviously and Trotwood enrolls kids from Dayton. Pretty sure they have higher talent pools than public SEO teams. D3's Final Four is ALWAYS dominated by private schools. You don't see a problem with that? Maybe public schools with that kind of talent pool aren't as common in D3? And the Final Four in D3 is arguably better than D2 top to bottom considering Meadowbrook and Sheridan both made it there without running into private powerhouses. It's easier to make the FInal Four in D2. There aren't even any private schools in D2's FF. You may say it's because public schools can beat private schools, but it's very reasonable to assume that D2 isn't as controlled by private schools like D3 is.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Of course I see the problem in it, but it’s better than keeping them in D4 for so many years. D4 is the image for small town basketball and it was dominated by the private’s for many years. Many, many years. D3 has a slightly better chance than D4 to beat those teams due to higher enrollment, albeit a very slightly higher chance.

Yes it’s a problem, but it’s better than what it used to be. The hope that privates / publics will compete in separate tournaments is a pipe dream at best. We won’t be seeing it for a very, very long time.... if ever at all.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:33 pm Of course I see the problem in it, but it’s better than keeping them in D4 for so many years. D4 is the image for small town basketball and it was dominated by the private’s for many years. Many, many years. D3 has a slightly better chance than D4 to beat those teams due to higher enrollment, albeit a very slightly higher chance.

Yes it’s a problem, but it’s better than what it used to be. The hope that privates / publics will compete in separate tournaments is a pipe dream at best. We won’t be seeing it for a very, very long time.... if ever at all.
Need more divisions or stronger CB numbers designed for bigger divisions to prevent the problem. In football, it seems to be working pretty well.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Our D3 region is pretty bad. Harvest Prep will get killed by Purcell Marian

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I will take a beating for this but I do not believe Burg had "one of the better D3 teams around here in a while".

Wheelersburg was good. But Tanner Holden covered up so many issues that team. Couple that in with D3 and the SOC being way down and you get a team that runs off 25 in a row.

I have been watching basketball in Scioto County since birth. This Burg team was not one of the best 5 Wheelersburg teams I have seen in that period. I feel both state teams (06 and 07 I believe) were better. I believe 99-00 was better. I believe 94-95 was better. I could make a case for any of the Burl teams being better. I feel he was a better player than Holden all around. Andrew was never given a chance to score 50 in blowouts or he easily would have. That said, this Burg team was good. But they were there because of Tanner.

Teams that have a more balanced roster will be able to compete with the HP's of the world going forward.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:37 pm I will take a beating for this but I do not believe Burg had "one of the better D3 teams around here in a while".

Wheelersburg was good. But Tanner Holden covered up so many issues that team. Couple that in with D3 and the SOC being way down and you get a team that runs off 25 in a row.

I have been watching basketball in Scioto County since birth. This Burg team was not one of the best 5 Wheelersburg teams I have seen in that period. I feel both state teams (06 and 07 I believe) were better. I believe 99-00 was better. I believe 94-95 was better. I could make a case for any of the Burl teams being better. I feel he was a better player than Holden all around. Andrew was never given a chance to score 50 in blowouts or he easily would have. That said, this Burg team was good. But they were there because of Tanner.

Teams that have a more balanced roster will be able to compete with the HP's of the world going forward.
You won't take a beating from me, as I agree with about everything you said. Andrew Burleson was one of the best big men that ever played at the Burg, or for any other school in SEO. He also went on to prove just that after High School. And as far as Div-3 being down, I can think of a few schools right off, that there teams this year, no way, no how, would have been able to compete with some of there past teams. Fairland, Portsmouth, Ironton, Oak Hill, Minford, and that's just a few.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:37 pm I will take a beating for this but I do not believe Burg had "one of the better D3 teams around here in a while".

Tanner dropped 50 on East Liverpool in a 13 point win. I think the game was pretty close because Liverpool did have athletes. Game is on Youtube. Russell game was fairly back and forth, Burg only pulled away BECAUSE of Tanner. Tanner was even pulled out in both games before the 2 minute mark of the fourth quarter. Quit dogging on Tanner and respect the fact that he's one of the best players in this area's history.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

burgfella69 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:22 am

Tanner dropped 50 on East Liverpool in a 13 point win. I think the game was pretty close because Liverpool did have athletes. Game is on Youtube. Russell game was fairly back and forth, Burg only pulled away BECAUSE of Tanner. Tanner was even pulled out in both games before the 2 minute mark of the fourth quarter. Quit dogging on Tanner and respect the fact that he's one of the best players in this area's history.
Who dogged Tanner?

Pretty sure that two of the sentences were nothing but compliments of him. But of course go ahead and read what you want.

Return to “Boys Basketball”