New Boston Glenwood 32 Berlin Hiland 75 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

New Boston Glenwood 32 Berlin Hiland 75 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

New Boston 32
Berlin Hiland 75 a final

... Hiland the #1 D4 Team in the state did nothing to "damage" their reputation ... Hiland gives up 34 ppg defensively ... the Hawks held the Tigers of Coach Cox to 32 points - outstanding D ... I was sitting on press row tonight and could hear the communication between players on the defensive end ... NB struggled early to find looks ... to find the bottom of the net with the Hiland perimeter D ... the Tigers were held without a field goal made until the 6:06 mark of the 2nd quarter ... no fgs for the first 9:54 of the game ... nothing on the perimeter/nothing would fall down low ... the first quarter napkin stat line for the Tigers ... 0 fgs/ 0 for 4 from 3 point land ... 4/8 from the FT line / 5 TOs ... while NB was looking for answers Hiland put up 19 points ... 9 fgs/ 1 for 4 from downtown / 0 for 2 from the stripe / 3 fgs in transition ... the Hawks were led by Samuel Habeger's 6 pts/Korrie Hostetler 4/ Kendall Hochstetler 4/ a trey from William Schlabach 3 points/ and a deuce from Hunter Sommers ... Hiland 19 New Boston 4 after 1 ... the Hawks were in total control from the outset ... in period 2 the Hawks put this one away as Hiland put up 30 points led by Kendall Hostetler's 12 pts in the qtr/16 for the half ... William Schlabach dropped back to back to back three balls giving the sharpshooting guard 4/4 from downtown for the half ... the Tigers picked up 2 fgs from their bigs Kyle Sexton/Tyler Caldwell (1 each) ... Hiland 49 New Boston 15 at intermission ... the Hawks were reserving rooms in C'bus at the half ... the second half was played out with the Tigers being able to put up 17 points- all from the field - departing senior Tyler Caldwell added 6 in the final 2 periods all in the paint ... the only triple for NB in the game was dropped by Marcus Saunders from the deep left corner as time expired to end the 3rd ... Hiland 63 New Boston 26 after 3 ... a running clock in the 4th period shortened the game as Hiland kept their starters on the floor all but the final 3 minutes of the game as both teams made full scale substitutions ... Hiland 63 New Boston 26 after 3 ... Hiland 75 New Boston 32 a final ... the Hawks are headed for the Final 4 in D4 from the SE District ...

Pfloyd's Official "un-official" Napkins Stats - New Boston Glenwood

Scoring ... Tyler Caldwell 8, Kyle Sexton 7, Marcus Saunders 7, Jerome McKinley 5, Gardy Jackson 4
3 Pointers ... 1/15 ... Marcus Saunders 1
FTs ... 11/17 all in the first half
TOs ... 13
PnP ..... 8 fgs/ 16 points in the paint
PnT .... 0 points in transition

... the Tigers got a feel for what the "next level" looks like playing the #1 Hiland ball club ... what we have gotten used to seeing from the Tigers was taken away - only 1 three pointer for the game ... NB could only turn the Hawks over 3 times in the game resulting in 0 points off of turnovers ... give credit to Hiland's defense on taking away what the Tigers do best - shoot the perimeter 3 ball/ get to the rim / turnover the opponent ... Great season for my home town Tigers !!! ...an Elite 8 appearance starting 2 freshman, a junior, a sophomore and a senior - outstanding !!! nothing to be ashamed of tonight - would you like to have been able to do what you do best ? absolutely !!! ... my thanks to Coach Cox for having me come into the locker room before the game (along with Lou Horvath) ... he introduced me to the team as pfloyd, an alum of New Boston Glenwood High School ... Coach Cox asked me to say a few words to the TEAM ... I appreciated having the opportunity to meet these young men - the young men who have brought PRIDE back to a small river town in SE Ohio ... as I told them - it doesn't matter what the scoreboard would read after the game ... win or lose ALL of these young people are winners ... I meant every word of it - a group of young people who took a town on the ride of a lifetime ... where now the young kids in NB are playing hoops taking on their favorite Tigers personas - dropping 3's as Tyler Caldwell, making a spin move in the paint for 2 as Kyle Sexton , breaking a defenders ankles & laying the ball off the glass as Jerome McKinley, putting up/reliving that 30 foot bankshot triple by Malachi Potts vs Berne Union , going baseline with an up & under as Marcus Saunders and picking the pocket of an offensive player and going the length of the floor in transition for 2 just like Grady Jackson ... the youngin's in New Boston now have hardwood heroes to emulate ... the Pride is Back ... Coach Cox, the Tiger basketball team did so much more than "play basketball" this winter you brought a small town back to life ... I NOW have a New Boston official Elite 8 T-shirt !!! - I WILL wear it with pride ! - great season ... a goal for NEXT season ! getting BACK to the Elite 8 & Basketball :30 !!!

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Berlin Hiland

Scoring ... Kendall Hochstetler 24, William Schlabach 12, Korrie Hostetler 9, Samuel Habeger 8, Andrew Miller 5, Kody Miller 4, Jared Raber 4, Hunter Sommers 4, #15 3 points, Christopher Shetler 2

3 Pointers ... 9/20 ... William Schlabach 4, Kendall Hochstetler 3, Andrew Miller 1, #15 with 1
FTs ..... 2/7
TOs .... 3
PnP ..... 22 fgs/ 44 points in the paint
PnT ..... 6 fgs / 12 points in transition

... I was sitting in the Cheap Seats during the Hiland vs Coal Grove game ... said to myself "THAT'S what a Final 4 Team looks like" ... outstanding in all phases of the game are the Hawks ... only one loss on the regular season to Cleveland East Tech by 5 or 6 points ... as a New Boston supporter you have to now root for the Hawks to go on to C'bus and win the state ... great D, outstanding ball movement, excellent PG play , size off the bench, strong rebounding team , excellent 3 point shooting team ... ALL of the components to do what they did in the SE District Regional - win it going away ... Berlin Hiland will be a tough out at the Show in C'bus ... Good luck Hawks !!
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Re: New Boston Glenwood 32 Berlin Hiland 75 a final ...

Post by Hoopie74 »

We tasted the wrath of Hiland last year. They are for sure a TEAM. Great season by the Tigers. Good luck to Caldwell. Loved watching him play. D4 has some great teams. Many overlook the talent in D4 and the great games they bring. Looking forward to the upcoming season. This coming week,. GO HAWKS!!!!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hoopie74 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:04 pm We tasted the wrath of Hiland last year. They are for sure a TEAM. Great season by the Tigers. Good luck to Caldwell. Loved watching him play. D4 has some great teams. Many overlook the talent in D4 and the great games they bring. Looking forward to the upcoming season. This coming week,. GO HAWKS!!!!!!
... overall the BEST games I have seen in the post season have been the D4's AND after tomorrow's 2 regional D3, D2 finals I will have seen 30 games in the post season AND the D4's STILL stack up on top of the heap as the best basketball I've seen in the one and done season ...

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Hope Burg brings it tomorrow.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Listened to it on the radio, and it sounded like at times Hiland couldn't miss, and the tigers couldn't get anything to fall. I believe they have a good bit of their kids back, New Boston has a good chance to make another run next year possibly two years.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

pfloyd wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:29 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:04 pm We tasted the wrath of Hiland last year. They are for sure a TEAM. Great season by the Tigers. Good luck to Caldwell. Loved watching him play. D4 has some great teams. Many overlook the talent in D4 and the great games they bring. Looking forward to the upcoming season. This coming week,. GO HAWKS!!!!!!
... overall the BEST games I have seen in the post season have been the D4's AND after tomorrow's 2 regional D3, D2 finals I will have seen 30 games in the post season AND the D4's STILL stack up on top of the heap as the best basketball I've seen in the one and done season ...
I counted after seeing this and we are tied Pfloyd. I have seen 30 also.

1) Waverly v McClain @ SE
2) South Webster v New Boston @ Convo
3) West v Portsmouth @ Waverly
4) Unioto v Washington Court House @ SE
5) Sandy Valley v Wheelersburg @ Convo
6) Trimble v Peebles @ Convo
7) Jackson v Warren @ Convo
8) Jackson v Gallipolis @ SE
9) New Boston v Berne Union @ Convo
10) Adena v Ironton @ Convo
10) Zane Trace v New Philadelphia @ Convo

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Thanks Pfloyd! Great rundown and stats as usual.

Return to “Boys Basketball”