Truitt 29
Mullins 11
Miller 6

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Regional Final: Wheelersburg vs Harvest Prep

Post by greygoose »

trojandave wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:17 am This is one game where Wheelersburg must shoot well from the perimeter.......they've gotten to this point in the tournament without a really good game from 3 ball land, but against Harvest Prep they must have their shooting shoes on. There have been many posts on this thread about the Pirates needing to slow the game down, which I think is a good strategy (but not 30-27 slowdown), given that HP much prefers untempo.......but slowing the game down is not really what the Burg has done all year long. Asking them to do something that is averse to what they've done so far could be difficult to adjust to that gameplan. Defensively, I think the Pirates have to minimize HP's ability to dribble drive and force them to win with their perimeter game.

HP is a heavy favorite, but remember it's a one game scenario, not a best of 7. In a series, HP wins easily. In a one game regional final, upsets have happened and could happen again. But Wheelersburg will have to play their best game of the year, no doubt. I have seen it happen on more than one occasion, though.......the best team doesn't always win......a sports cliche that holds true every now and then.
Well they already played that uptempo game last year and lost by 18. So if they do that then another loss will be imminent as prep going 9 deep is to much for a team playing 6-7 guys. As was mentioned earlier they've been beaten by keeping the score low. You look what Meigs done to Burg first round if they play up and down game burg beats them by 20-25 instead they controlled the pace and had a shot in the 4th quarter and that's all you can ask for. Prep last night was just having fun against Adena just looked like guys out playing a pickup game.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

LucasDavenport wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:38 pm So far in 3 games in the Convo

Wheelersburg Scoring
Holden 70
Salyers 34
Truitt 29
Mullins 11
Miller 6
Ouch and that's with Salyers putting up 15 against SV last night. Simply can't play Prep straight up and hope to win the game. They've got to come up with a solid strategy and after last year's game and watching prep last night anyone would be crazy to think otherwise. Look at prep same guy jacked up 3 threes to start the game what'd they do, rotate a different guy over and he nails the 3 next time down out of the same set. Best thing I loved about HP at least for the 1st half I seen, guys didn't say anything didn't complain to refs just played ball.

bobcat2015
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcat2015 »

bsee12345 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 pm Wheelersburg needs to get a copy of the Harvest Prep-Columbus Academy District Final game. Columbus Academy had the game plan to beat Harvest Prep but did not execute in a series of about 2 minutes in the 4th quarter and Columbus Academy went from being up 62-60 to being down on 68-62. Harvest Prep won the game 71-67. May check with Adena if they scouted Harvest Prep in the District Finals.

Once you make regionals you have to give up your two most recent game films to opponents so that would include the district final. Hopefully Burg can see something from that film.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Burg just go play your hearts out give it everything you got! Play smart and hard and no matter what happens tomorrow I am proud to be be from Burg and very proud of each and everyone one of Burgs players. This is a winnable game I truly believe that Burg can pull off an upset but the shots have to start falling and we CAN NOT get into a track meet with HP they are too deep slow down the pace and definitely definitely box out and be really aggressive on the boards. BURG CAN DO THIS!

Burg grad 85
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I think for Burg to win they have to score collectively like they did in a few games earlier in the season.

Like — Holden 26, Truitt 16, Salyers 14, Mullins 12 ...

Win something like 73-70.

Anyone here truly think Wheelersburg can slow down Harvest Prep? Me either. I think they have to outscored them and hope that Prep shoots mid to poor and struggles for their 70.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

LucasDavenport wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:52 pm I think for Burg to win they have to score collectively like they did in a few games earlier in the season.

Like — Holden 26, Truitt 16, Salyers 14, Mullins 12 ...

Win something like 73-70.

Anyone here truly think Wheelersburg can slow down Harvest Prep? Me either. I think they have to outscored them and hope that Prep shoots mid to poor and struggles for their 70.
I think if they are patient, yes. they can slow them down by default by hitting buckets and being strong with the ball in their offense. I don’t think all four can get hot otherwise. One of preps losses was in the 50s. That’s the tape to watch for Burg.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Yeah I don’t buy my 73-70 scenario either.

It’s going to be really tough.

Coach Ater has 24 hours and 1 day of practice to prepare.

I think you’ve simply have to go in there and do what you do best.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Pace of play will be challenging. Burg likes to run but I’m sure HP does too. Burg will have to make the most of all their possessions.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Coach Ater is smart, Burg will be in this one. they probably wont win it, but they'll be in it.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

bsee12345 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 pm Wheelersburg needs to get a copy of the Harvest Prep-Columbus Academy District Final game. Columbus Academy had the game plan to beat Harvest Prep but did not execute in a series of about 2 minutes in the 4th quarter and Columbus Academy went from being up 62-60 to being down on 68-62. Harvest Prep won the game 71-67. May check with Adena if they scouted Harvest Prep in the District Finals.
I don't know what there record was, but after watching the HP-Columbus Academy game, I thought that Academy was a very good team, and as said before, could have very well won that game. I think it's easy sometimes to just say slow the game down, and play at a slower tempo, but when you have already played 26 games, and played at the tempo that you are comfortable in playing, it's not that easy just overnight to completely change your style of play, especially going against a team such as Harvest Prep. Good luck Burg, I have no doubt that you will give one heck of an effort.

sykesb2
Freshman Team

Post by sykesb2 »

You can try to slow Prep down but it ain’t happening. They shoot the 3 ball so well too. If Burg out rebounds them I would be very surprised. Prep by 25 plus

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Be loose and let it go. Play your best game every game and that's all you can do. Can't play tight against HP. Good luck Burg. Feed on the fire that the little league team used last year. Be fearless.Go Burg.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

If Burg slows the pace they can stay in it.

sharpshooter10
Waterboy

Post by sharpshooter10 »

Hate to say it but I don’t think Burg has a chance. HP is just too talented. HP by 20+

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

NewEra wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:33 pm If Burg slows the pace they can stay in it.
You very well could be right. I know that in a couple earlier games, that the other teams played at a lot slower tempo, and the Burg didn't have any other choice. I know in watching the Burg the last few years, they most certainly would rather play at a faster pace. Burg does have some excellent kids that can handle the ball, and they would need to be able to do just that, because HP will be bringing a lot of pressure throughout the game. It might work, because you know HP will not want the game to be slowed down.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Good luck Pirates, take care of business and move on.

Pickoff42
Waterboy

Post by Pickoff42 »

Burg can win this one.

-Defense
-Rebounding
-Play your game, not theirs
-Don't shoot 20 3s-work for good shots
-No dumb fouls

Burg_10
Riding the Bench

Post by Burg_10 »

Made it to the final 8 out of 198 in division 3.
Undefeated to this point.

It’s a tall task but Burg has the best player on the high school floor. Maybe not college projected but Holden has the most impact at this level. Work through him and the supporting cast do their job and see what happens. Most of these kids have played in huge games in their careers. They won’t be intimidated by the moment. Good luck Burg! Bring home a regional championship.

Burg Bias
Riding the Bench

Post by Burg Bias »

Good Luck today Pirates. I know that Prep shoots the three extremely well but in my opinion I’d have all five defenders with one foot in the paint. Make them shoot those threes all night. And walk it up on offense. Cut the game in half.
Go Burg!

Return to “Boys Basketball”