Regional Final: Wheelersburg vs Harvest Prep

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Regional Final: Wheelersburg vs Harvest Prep

Post by greygoose »

Hulk wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 am Really?

Burg fans complaining about a school that benefit from players around the county?

Imo private schools are no different then open enrollment.

You know what they say about glass houses
:lol: yeah ok if you say so. I don't want to even argue private and public but this comment is simply way off base. Open enrollment gets you a kid maybe a school or 2 over, private schools with recruiting can land you the best of the best from a very large area. Not even in the same conversation it of it was it'd be a non issue right??? Wow

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Best of luck to Burg.

It seems that outside of Holden and Salyers, Burg doesnt have kids that can score. HP will put lots of pressure on Holden who will get his points. The question is can Burg's support roles score? So far in the tourney that hasnt been the case.

Unfortunately I think HP runs away with this one.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

wobycat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 am

Burg fans complaining about a school that benefit from players around the county?

Private schools and open enrollment are completely different. Not even close. Especially in basketball.
U beat me too it

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Hulk wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:37 am
wobycat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 am

Private schools and open enrollment are completely different. Not even close. Especially in basketball.

Yeah ,ok
You have to realize that private schools do not have to follow the Ohio department of education guidelines academically. These kids probably take a basketball class during the day.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Bleeding Red wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:40 am Best of luck to Burg.

It seems that outside of Holden and Salyers, Burg doesnt have kids that can score. HP will put lots of pressure on Holden who will get his points. The question is can Burg's support roles score? So far in the tourney that hasnt been the case.

Mullins is due for a breakout game
Need 15-20 from Truitt

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:02 am The one thing I noticed with Columbus City All-stars is the big man was able to dominate the glass last night against Adena. He was able to go over the Adena players all night long. I don’t think he will be able to do that with Holden in the middle. Tanner has to stay on the floor the whole game.

Burg will be a little quicker on defense than Adena was and Burg can not let them just drain wide open threes like they did last year.

This game is winnable for Burg but they can’t try and run with CCAS!!

The thing I don’t get is why does the OHSAA continue to want these private schools to make it to the Schott!! They bring NO FANS!!!! If it hadn’t of been for The CCAS bringing a student section they would not of had 50 fans there, so in two weeks when they are talking about how low the attendance was I’m going to laugh and say serves you right. These small public schools will bring there whole towns. They might stay in the hotels. They will eat at the restaurants and shop at the malls and stores. These private schools won’t bring enough people to make a difference
Amen brother, GO BURG

piratefan3
Waterboy

Post by piratefan3 »

So what you're saying is I can go to a school in Columbus while living in Wheelersburg off of open enrollment? Sign me up!

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

get lost pal

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

It is what it is, and I don't think we should take away from what Wheelersburg has accomplished this year with a discussion that has nothing to do with the game being played. HP has been beaten this year (albeit) by very good teams, but it is possible if by chance they have an off night. There aren't many times a 26-0 team is an underdog, but sometimes the chips fall that way. Win or lose, Wheelersburg has had one of, if not the best season in school history.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

What I saw out of Harvest Prep was a team that could win it all in all four divisions but they do have some flaws if you call it that. Things I think burg could try to do to win.

- Be active in passing lanes. They threw some bad passes in the Adena game. Unfortunately for Adena they couldn't capitalize on the turnovers.
- Shoot the ball really well. HP is very athletic but I woudln't say they are the best at lock down defending. Adena had some open looks and quality shots however you really can't get to the rim on them, so burg will have to hit outside shots.
- Jump the outlet pass or smother the ball with two defenders after a HP defensive rebound. Burg has to try of gimmick ways from HP getting out and running after a burg's missed shot.
- Don't be heroes. HP is awesome at driving to the basket. Burg should try to get HP to take the mid-range jumper. I think a match up zone say a 1-2-2 or the 1-3-1 could possibly get HP to that shot area but trying to guard them one on one will be tough.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

wobycat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:05 am What I saw out of Harvest Prep was a team that could win it all in all four divisions but they do have some flaws if you call it that. Things I think burg could try to do to win.

- Be active in passing lanes. They threw some bad passes in the Adena game. Unfortunately for Adena they couldn't capitalize on the turnovers.
- Shoot the ball really well. HP is very athletic but I woudln't say they are the best at lock down defending. Adena had some open looks and quality shots however you really can't get to the rim on them, so burg will have to hit outside shots.
- Jump the outlet pass or smother the ball with two defenders after a HP defensive rebound. Burg has to try of gimmick ways from HP getting out and running after a burg's missed shot.
- Don't be heroes. HP is awesome at driving to the basket. Burg should try to get HP to take the mid-range jumper. I think a match up zone say a 1-2-2 or the 1-3-1 could possibly get HP to that shot area but trying to guard them one on one will be tough.
With all due respect, Harvest Prep wouldn't get out of the Columbus district in D1 and would have an incredibly difficult time getting out of the D2 Columbus district (Columbus South is the REAL DEAL!)..... so by saying they could 'win it in all four divisions' I'm assuming you're talking about the Sectional?

There's MULTIPLE D1 teams in Columbus that have more talent on the roster than Harvest Prep. They are good, very good, but lets keep our expectations a little more in reality :D

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:14 am
wobycat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:05 am What I saw out of Harvest Prep was a team that could win it all in all four divisions but they do have some flaws if you call it that. Things I think burg could try to do to win.

With all due respect, Harvest Prep wouldn't get out of the Columbus district in D1 and would have an incredibly difficult time getting out of the D2 Columbus district (Columbus South is the REAL DEAL!)..... so by saying they could 'win it in all four divisions' I'm assuming you're talking about the Sectional?

There's MULTIPLE D1 teams in Columbus that have more talent on the roster than Harvest Prep. They are good, very good, but lets keep our expectations a little more in reality :D
I think in a one game setting they could win in any division championship setting. They are really fast and shoot it well. Now probably no way they could win it all if they were in the D1, D2 and had to play 6 games to win it, of course, but they could win a one game setting.
Last edited by wobycat on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Have you ever seen Truitt and Mullins?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

This is one game where Wheelersburg must shoot well from the perimeter.......they've gotten to this point in the tournament without a really good game from 3 ball land, but against Harvest Prep they must have their shooting shoes on. There have been many posts on this thread about the Pirates needing to slow the game down, which I think is a good strategy (but not 30-27 slowdown), given that HP much prefers untempo.......but slowing the game down is not really what the Burg has done all year long. Asking them to do something that is averse to what they've done so far could be difficult to adjust to that gameplan. Defensively, I think the Pirates have to minimize HP's ability to dribble drive and force them to win with their perimeter game.

HP is a heavy favorite, but remember it's a one game scenario, not a best of 7. In a series, HP wins easily. In a one game regional final, upsets have happened and could happen again. But Wheelersburg will have to play their best game of the year, no doubt. I have seen it happen on more than one occasion, though.......the best team doesn't always win......a sports cliche that holds true every now and then.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:44 am

Have you ever seen Truitt and Mullins?

Don't understand why they are hesitating to take a shot. They haven't done that all year. You can't worry about not hitting the last two or three you just shoot. Once you start thinking about it you are done.

Burg missed a lot of 10-12 footers last night that they have to hit. Thery have to match prep basket for basket. If they get down 7-10 prep can control the ball good enough to keep that lead.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I’ve been saying for a time that Wheelersburg is the most talented team in the Region. I will stick to that and openly admit if I’m wrong after this game. Holden is still the best player on the floor. Yes .... CJ Anthony is very talented but doesn’t have Holden’s length.

This is Wheelersburg’s last chance for a while to get to the Final Four. Because of that urgency I anticipate they will play to their capibility. If they do that then they should win. HP’s trap are very good but they leave a lot of gaps to the basket. Made baskets will slow down HP’s fastbreak.

On a side note .... Wheelersburg posters have once again turned this post into “Wheelersburg vs the World”. Example: “Private vs Public”, “Columbus City All-Star”, etc. My question is “If people think Harvest Preps has an advantage over Wheelersburg because their kids come from all over the city of Columbus does that mean Wheelersburg has an advantage over southern Ohio teams since their kids come from all over Scioto Co.?”

Wheelersburg has the 3rd highest CB number (21) of all the public schools in the Elite Eight. (Regardless of Division) Behind Northridge - 46, New Boston - 31 then Wheelersburg. Using the philosophy that HP has an advantage because they draw their area means that Wheelersburg has an unfair advantage over teams in southern Ohio because they draw their area.

I will now wait for the Wheelersburg people claim “kids want to come to Wheelersburg”. Hmmmmm .... that sounds just like the kids that attend HP!! “They want to go to Harvest Prep!”

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:42 am I’ve been saying for a time that Wheelersburg is the most talented team in the Region. I will stick to that and openly admit if I’m wrong after this game. Holden is still the best player on the floor. Yes .... CJ Anthony is very talented but doesn’t have Holden’s length.

This is Wheelersburg’s last chance for a while to get to the Final Four. Because of that urgency I anticipate they will play to their capibility. If they do that then they should win. HP’s trap are very good but they leave a lot of gaps to the basket. Made baskets will slow down HP’s fastbreak.

On a side note .... Wheelersburg posters have once again turned this post into “Wheelersburg vs the World”. Example: “Private vs Public”, “Columbus City All-Star”, etc. My question is “If people think Harvest Preps has an advantage over Wheelersburg because their kids come from all over the city of Columbus does that mean Wheelersburg has an advantage over southern Ohio teams since their kids come from all over Scioto Co.?”

Wheelersburg has the 3rd highest CB number (21) of all the public schools in the Elite Eight. (Regardless of Division) Behind Northridge - 46, New Boston - 31 then Wheelersburg. Using the philosophy that HP has an advantage because they draw their area means that Wheelersburg has an unfair advantage over teams in southern Ohio because they draw their area.

I will now wait for the Wheelersburg people claim “kids want to come to Wheelersburg”. Hmmmmm .... that sounds just like the kids that attend HP!! “They want to go to Harvest Prep!”
Aside from truitt moving in district, who are the other "scioto county" boys you speak of? Two kids who play varsity to my knowledge don't live in district. One of those has went to burg his entire life. You seem to think that burg has compiled an all-star team.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

wobycat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:52 am
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:42 am I’ve been saying for a time that Wheelersburg is the most talented team in the Region. I will stick to that and openly admit if I’m wrong after this game. Holden is still the best player on the floor. Yes .... CJ Anthony is very talented but doesn’t have Holden’s length.

Aside from truitt moving in district, who are the other "scioto county" boys you speak of? Two kids who play varsity to my knowledge don't live in district. One of those has went to burg his entire life. You seem to think that burg has compiled an all-star team.
Does Mullins and Truitt live in Burg school district? I know both moved in but unsure of residences.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:58 am
wobycat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:52 am

Does Mullins and Truitt live in Burg school district? I know both moved in but unsure of residences.

I think Mullins lives in Burg and I don't think Truitt does but I am speculating. By the way the, Columbus and surrounding cities..population of 2 million +, Scioto County around 75 thousand.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

If you watched both games last night and think Wheelersburg has more talent on their roster then Harvest Prep has on their roster then I’m not sure we can have a logical discussion.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk

Return to “Boys Basketball”