Enrollment & Competitive Balance #'s for Elite 8/Final 4 Teams

Rosscoresident
Freshman Team

Re: Enrollment #'s for Elite 8 Teams

Post by Rosscoresident »

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:26 pm
Rosscoresident wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 pm So...Adena has a CB of 2 because 2 basketball players live outside the district, but have attended Adena their entire lives. Harvest Prep has a CB of 110 because they have 22 players that came to HP either as Freshman or later in order to compete for state championships at the Division 3 level? Do I have that about right? Seems fair....
They are a D4 school. Trimble had to always run into them and Africentric and they are less than half the size of Adena
If they are a D4 school, then why did Adena play them last night in the D3 tournament? You have been given false information. Your math is also a little fuzzy. Trimble enrollment is 101 which is way more than half of Adena’s 154

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

Rosscoresident wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:41 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:26 pm
Rosscoresident wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:07 pm So...Adena has a CB of 2 because 2 basketball players live outside the district, but have attended Adena their entire lives. Harvest Prep has a CB of 110 because they have 22 players that came to HP either as Freshman or later in order to compete for state championships at the Division 3 level? Do I have that about right? Seems fair....
They are a D4 school. Trimble had to always run into them and Africentric and they are less than half the size of Adena
If they are a D4 school, then why did Adena play them last night in the D3 tournament? You have been given false information. Your math is also a little fuzzy. Trimble enrollment is 101 which is way more than half of Adena’s 154
The OHSAA classifys school a couple of ways. They use actual enrollment to determine Board Members numbers reprsentative to District Boards(Central, Southeast, Southwest, Northwest and Northeast) and it also uses this to determine reprensentation to the OHSAA Board. So each school is classified at Class A, Class AA and Class AAA school. Using actual enrollment Harvest Prep is a Class A school. However, for sports schools are put in Divisions. Using CB (competitive balance) numbers schools will go up in Divisions in sports based on their CB plus actual enrollment.
Not all sports use competitive balance- cross country, track, tennis, lacrose, field hockey and ice hockey do not use competitvie balance formula. Divsions are determined by actual enrollment for the listed sports.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Tri-StateYouthSports: Thanks for the clarification. I now have a much better understanding of the CB guidelines.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Which came first, chicken or egg? The question of open vs. moving into a district or simply going
to a school that has a program, most likely, going to State most years.
In Arizona, my understanding, we have open enrollment as well. In metro Phoenix, the same
schools win and the same schools lose year after year, as a rule...
We have 6 to 7 divisions for sports, in football we have an 8 man division for
some of the outer area schools.
I do not know if we have CB here or not, however there are schools that will draw kids from outside the district
to play ball in that school. Check results in AIA website.
IMO, the day of the homegrown student playing sports to the high level some do, is gone. The schools
that play within the guidelines most likely will not have success year in and year out..there are exceptions of course.
I do not have an answer but, something must happen or sports as we know it in High School will forever change...
Just my two cents worth......having said that
"Go Trojans"

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

I updated the table in the original post after the Elite 8 games. The 4 teams that advanced to the Semi-Finals of each Division are at the top.

Re: Enrollment #'s for Elite 8/Final 4 Teams

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

I've sorted (largest to smallest) the entire D-I & D-III divisions by Collective Balance #'s and listed the top 16 at the bottom of the original post. Anyone see a correlation? lol

Post by FANOSPORTS »

wipala wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:49 pm Which came first, chicken or egg? The question of open vs. moving into a district or simply going
to a school that has a program, most likely, going to State most years.
In Arizona, my understanding, we have open enrollment as well. In metro Phoenix, the same
schools win and the same schools lose year after year, as a rule...
We have 6 to 7 divisions for sports, in football we have an 8 man division for
some of the outer area schools.
I do not know if we have CB here or not, however there are schools that will draw kids from outside the district
to play ball in that school. Check results in AIA website.
IMO, the day of the homegrown student playing sports to the high level some do, is gone. The schools
that play within the guidelines most likely will not have success year in and year out..there are exceptions of course.
I do not have an answer but, something must happen or sports as we know it in High School will forever change...
Just my two cents worth......having said that
"Go Trojans"
Agree and It's running rampant in today's culture with no end in sight . (Good post)

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"

Return to “Boys Basketball”