All State

Re: Regional 3/14 6:15pm Wheelersburg (25-0) vs Magnolia Sandy Valley

Post by E High »

Slay the dragon

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Congrats Burg! Once they were down 15 I thought it was over, but they battled back and deserved the win.

Tough game coming up with Harvest but if there's any player in SEO that can do it, it's Tanner Holden!

Watching SE Ohio basketball
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:37 am Congrats Burg! Once they were down 15 I thought it was over, but they battled back and deserved the win.

Tough game coming up with Harvest but if there's any player in SEO that can do it, it's Tanner Holden!
Strange I thought it was the wheelersburg pirates vs harvest prep warriors. Tanner scored what 35 last year against prep and they were still beaten handily. Burgs guard play has to be the key in the prep game. Prep goes 8-9 deep and they just run run and play great on ball pressure defense something I've seen really give burg issues in terms of shot selection.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

victor creed wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:46 pm You say hats off to the sandy valley coach for going away from what was working. But how about we give a little credit to Burg coach ater on his switch to a press and a some zone defense that looked like it confused sandy Valley enough for burg to make the run that got it back under 7 and then back to the lead. Great job by coach ater and the burg staff, to make those adjustments. Still didn’t shoot it very well but we are moving on with a chance to go to the shott. Great season by sandy valley I talked to a bunch of their fans while waiting in line to get in. Really nice people.
Yes burg made the proper adjustments, finally after going down 15 and had no other choice. Sandy tried running man to man in the 1st quarter and burg scored 15 and made it look fairly easy. Think they scoed 5 points in tbe 2nd quarter after SV switched defenses thats unacceptable. Sandy switched to zone and burg struggled offensively to get the shot, but that first half kept sending Tanner baseline to baseline not how you attack 2-3 zone, he needed to be in the middle. Tanners help side defense was HUGE in this game and great team rebounding. Big man being in foul trouble for so long was a big factor in this game.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

greygoose wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:25 am
victor creed wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:46 pm You say hats off to the sandy valley coach for going away from what was working. But how about we give a little credit to Burg coach ater on his switch to a press and a some zone defense that looked like it confused sandy Valley enough for burg to make the run that got it back under 7 and then back to the lead. Great job by coach ater and the burg staff, to make those adjustments. Still didn’t shoot it very well but we are moving on with a chance to go to the shott. Great season by sandy valley I talked to a bunch of their fans while waiting in line to get in. Really nice people.
Yes burg made the proper adjustments, finally after going down 15 and had no other choice. Sandy tried running man to man in the 1st quarter and burg scored 15 and made it look fairly easy. Think they scoed 5 points in tbe 2nd quarter after SV switched defenses thats unacceptable. Sandy switched to zone and burg struggled offensively to get the shot, but that first half kept sending Tanner baseline to baseline not how you attack 2-3 zone, he needed to be in the middle. Tanners help side defense was HUGE in this game and great team rebounding. Big man being in foul trouble for so long was a big factor in this game.
SV had someone in the high post or at least they did on Tanner when he would be in there so it was a little difficult to get it inside which is why I assume Burg kept settling from outside. Just needed to be a little more patient and find backside cuts to the rim. Backside was open

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Burg needs to watch the Garaway-HP Regional final from last year. Garaway slowed it down and lost in overtime with a score in the 50’s.

HP did hit 12 3’s last year. Take half of those away and that game is tied at 60.

Burg has to hit open shots. Not particularly 3’s just open shots. They missed a lot of wide open 10-12 footers last night.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Gotta admit I thought Burg was done when they got down by 15, but I should've learned a long time ago not to doubt those kids. Holden is one of the best all-around athletes this county has ever seen...looking forward to getting up to some Wright State games and watching him next few years. Congrats to Burg and keep it going on Saturday*

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

art_vandelay wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:10 am Gotta admit I thought Burg was done when they got down by 15, but I should've learned a long time ago not to doubt those kids. Holden is one of the best all-around athletes this county has ever seen...looking forward to getting up to some Wright State games and watching him next few years. Congrats to Burg and keep it going on Saturday*

I’ve been watching Burg sports for 40+ years and Tanner is by far the best athlete I’ve ever watched. He was dominate in football and basketball! He has the ability to take over any game at any time.

I believe he will be a force to reckon with tomorrow.

Return to “Boys Basketball”