Official Suspended by OHSAA

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by bbjunky81 »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:15 am Perhaps the OHSAA handed down the punishment not based on the severity of the rule being broke, but for the amount of stupidity it required to break it.

They probably looked at the situation and said the same thing I did "are you f'ing kidding me?"

Who in their right mind (a) asks to wear the wrong uniform in a district tournament game when they have the correct ones on hand and (b) who in their right mind lets them when they have the authority to say no?
Summed up perfectly and this is exactly how I feel also.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

What I would like to know is, will the school, the coach, the AD and anyone else that signed off on this, and knew what the rule was, will there be some kind of a penalty yet to be determined for them ? Whether the official made the right decision or not, if the school, the coach and whoever had not did what they did, the official would never had been drawn into this mess to begin with. It just seems like the only "bad guy" so far, has been the official. Also, is there a lead official, or do all 3 make the decisions ?

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:38 am What I would like to know is, will the school, the coach, the AD and anyone else that signed off on this, and knew what the rule was, will there be some kind of a penalty yet to be determined for them ? Whether the official made the right decision or not, if the school, the coach and whoever had not did what they did, the official would never had been drawn into this mess to begin with. It just seems like the only "bad guy" so far, has been the official. Also, is there a lead official, or do all 3 make the decisions ?
[/quote

All valid questions.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

For anyone asking why only one official is getting in trouble and not all three, there is a head referee assigned for all of the games. Kind of like the team speaking captain.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:03 am For anyone asking why only one official is getting in trouble and not all three, there is a head referee assigned for all of the games. Kind of like the team speaking captain.
Thanks 93Bulldog!

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

bfry wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:39 am
danicalifornia wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:16 am It was Orange and Green, not the disasterous Red and Red situation of last year. Obviously, this should never happen, but if both teams agree to it before hand, then it should be alright.

These coaches really have to start bringing both sets. It can’t add much to their trip. We’ve done it for years, just in case.

Thus, I feel like this is much less on the official then the teams.
Agreed. But how do you come to the conclusion that the official should be suspended if you're the OHSAA? That's the question. And who would even think to turn this in?
People stand in line to “turn stuff in” infortunately.

PHStide
Waterboy

Post by PHStide »

OMG it’s a rule folks. The official knowingly broke the rule. IMO Whiteoak put the official in a bad position, but he should have followed the rule. If it’s true that WO wanted to wear their “Lucky Jersey” that’s all the more reason to not allow it.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Ironman92 should’ve just been made to run five laps around the OU track, in the stead of Whiteoak’s punishment for their role in this situation.

That way, the ref doesn’t have to get punished for trying to not be the bad guy.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I’m all for the ref not being punished.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

I think the ref in question is just being used as an example for all refs in the tournaments. It has def. got my attention. Trust me, I guarantee 75% or more officials have not enforced uniform policies in the Reg. Season. I bet that number goes down in the future! LOL IF OHSAA takes games away from Reg. Season they would really be complaining about a shortage in Refs.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

PHStide wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:59 pm OMG it’s a rule folks. The official knowingly broke the rule. IMO Whiteoak put the official in a bad position, but he should have followed the rule. If it’s true that WO wanted to wear their “Lucky Jersey” that’s all the more reason to not allow it.
Yeah, we know. There are a bevy of rules that aren't enforced by the book every night. Officials aren't ostracized for it.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Seems like something Ohsaa would enforce. A school gets 7 transfers to move in, no problem. A team wears the dark jerseys, give them the ban hammer

SEFan
JV Team

Post by SEFan »

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:27 pm Seems like something Ohsaa would enforce. A school gets 7 transfers to move in, no problem. A team wears the dark jerseys, give them the ban hammer
THIS!!! 100%. Let’s play a game with the girls and boys state qualifiers the next two weekends. How many teams can say they have no transfer athletes?

Also, another problem with this jersey situation is it isn’t consistent. How many times do we see pants rolled, or different colored headband in season? Then in tournament it is the most important thing?

blockcharge7
Freshman Team

Post by blockcharge7 »

Rolled shorts are no illegal, unless a draw string is left out or a visible manufacturer logo is present. Headbands can be black, beige, white, or primary uniform color, unless it is a hair control device then color doesn't matter.

Rosscoresident
Freshman Team

Post by Rosscoresident »

SEFan wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:23 am
Raider6309 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:27 pm Seems like something Ohsaa would enforce. A school gets 7 transfers to move in, no problem. A team wears the dark jerseys, give them the ban hammer
THIS!!! 100%. Let’s play a game with the girls and boys state qualifiers the next two weekends. How many teams can say they have no transfer athletes?

Also, another problem with this jersey situation is it isn’t consistent. How many times do we see pants rolled, or different colored headband in season? Then in tournament it is the most important thing?
Adena has zero players that have not attended Adena since grade school. 0 transfers!!! Very proud of what they have accomplished this season!!!

SEFan
JV Team

Post by SEFan »

Rosscoresident wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:47 pm
SEFan wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:23 am

Adena has zero players that have not attended Adena since grade school. 0 transfers!!! Very proud of what they have accomplished this season!!!
Just saw this! That is awesome. The way it should be!

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

The same OHSAA that sent out an open letter telling the public to cut officials some slack? Sounds about right. Beuracrats in their prime.

Kurgan74
JV Team

Post by Kurgan74 »

Now I can say I do not know the entire situation, or what was told to the official in question.
My guess is the main reason for the punishment was not
The wearing of the wrong color, but that the team was not assessed the required technical foul for wearing the wrong uniform.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Wow. OHSAA has way more problems then short,shorts ! Transfer rule is a joke, basically among other things

Return to “Boys Basketball”