Official Suspended by OHSAA

Mr 1000
Waterboy

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by Mr 1000 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:49 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:34 am It's more flabbergasting that NOBODY on the Whiteoak staff knew about the jersey rule when there was the New Boston fiasco at the Convo last year. If that wasn't a clear reminder to all teams out there what the rule was, nothing is.

Whiteoak possessed the white jerseys and should have went in at warmups to change. My guess is the coaches thought it would take away a lot of warm-up time and didn't want to distract the kids...... which didn't end up working out as they lost by double digits anyway.

In terms of the official being suspended, I'm bipartial. I understand the 'rules are rules' thing, but the punishment seems a little severe for the "crime."
It’s called civility. Common sense. This is why I’m not in favor of governing bodies. I guess I’ll bever understand this world. The official did the right thing letting the kids play and he’s punished for it. SMH
The official did not do the right thing! He knew the rule and he failed to follow it. Lets not allow these guys to think they can do whatever they want. He got punished and I am thrilled that he did.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

BBALL99 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:07 pm
bfry wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:57 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:32 pm This thread will get uglier until someone spills who reported it.

Someone important is my guess

I wouldn't say it's ugly. I just think people lack the use of common sense, which is what I believe all three officials used in this instance. Also, I don't think it would do any good to air someone out on this topic by name.
See, I don't think common sense was necessarily used. If that's the case, why do kids have to tuck shirts in? Why do they have any uniform regulations at all in any of our sports?

The common sense thing would have been for Whiteoak to follow the rule.

I don't know why they have uniform regulations to be honest. Wasn't the rolled shorts rule put in place? It's no longer enforced. Why? Common sense tells you that whether a kid rolls his shorts or not, has no bearing on the game. I think the official would tell you he made a mistake if going by the book. However, wiping him off of remaining games due to this is a bit excessive, in my opinion. I think that is the crux of the conversation.

Mr 1000
Waterboy

Post by Mr 1000 »

Myra Fleener wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:23 pm I have seen many games this year and feel as though the officiating has been great. Kudos to the officials.

As the home team, Whiteoak should have worn their white uniforms as OHSAA policy states and not even asked. What even gives them the right? I find the "lucky orange" uniforms comment kind of funny. There's a reason the OHSAA has rules and regulations in place. I know it seems petty, but little things always lead to big things.
I agree 100%

Mr 1000
Waterboy

Post by Mr 1000 »

bfry wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:27 pm
BBALL99 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:07 pm
bfry wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:57 pm

I wouldn't say it's ugly. I just think people lack the use of common sense, which is what I believe all three officials used in this instance. Also, I don't think it would do any good to air someone out on this topic by name.
See, I don't think common sense was necessarily used. If that's the case, why do kids have to tuck shirts in? Why do they have any uniform regulations at all in any of our sports?

The common sense thing would have been for Whiteoak to follow the rule.

I don't know why they have uniform regulations to be honest. Wasn't the rolled shorts rule put in place? It's no longer enforced. Why? Common sense tells you that whether a kid rolls his shorts or not, has no bearing on the game. I think the official would tell you he made a mistake if going by the book. However, wiping him off of remaining games due to this is a bit excessive, in my opinion. I think that is the crux of the conversation.
I think allowing the official to think he has the authority to change rules would have been excessive. The state did the right thing by putting their foot down and sending this guys to the stands with the rest of us.

Older bird
Freshman Team

Post by Older bird »

I don’t want to seem like a stick in the mud but seems pretty cut and dry to me.
Home should wear white.
By not enforcing this yes official should b penaltized.
Is it the end of the world, no, But jersey color is a big one to let slip by.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

The official in question should not be the only one punished IMO. The Whiteoak coach and the site administrator should also face some type of sanction. Where is the common sense in all of this?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

alabama mike wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:13 pm The official in question should not be the only one punished IMO. The Whiteoak coach and the site administrator should also face some type of sanction. Where is the common sense in all of this?
93Bulldog, who is someone that would be in the know, stated that Whiteoak will be punished as well.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Mr 1000 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:26 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:34 am It's more flabbergasting that NOBODY on the Whiteoak staff knew about the jersey rule when there was the New Boston fiasco at the Convo last year. If that wasn't a clear reminder to all teams out there what the rule was, nothing is.

Whiteoak possessed the white jerseys and should have went in at warmups to change. My guess is the coaches thought it would take away a lot of warm-up time and didn't want to distract the kids...... which didn't end up working out as they lost by double digits anyway.

In terms of the official being suspended, I'm bipartial. I understand the 'rules are rules' thing, but the punishment seems a little severe for the "crime."
It’s called civility. Common sense. This is why I’m not in favor of governing bodies. I guess I’ll bever understand this world. The official did the right thing letting the kids play and he’s punished for it. SMH
The official did not do the right thing! He knew the rule and he failed to follow it. Lets not allow these guys to think they can do whatever they want. He got punished and I am thrilled that he did.
Good for him not doing the right thing. He let two teams with high school kids that worked hard play a game and he took the punishment for doing so.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

To me, I don't understand how it's an issue when both teams agreed. Especially since the colors were fairly easy to distinguish between and it didn't decide the outcome of the game.

Mr 1000
Waterboy

Post by Mr 1000 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Good for him not doing the right thing. He let two teams with high school kids that worked hard play a game and he took the punishment for doing so.
He took the punishment because he couldn't follow basic rules.

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

Officials are only there to uphold the rules of the game and not change them no matter what.
What if both coaches agreed it would be O.K if players dunk during warm-ups without getting a T, I mean both agreed and the ref said sounds O.K since neither of you care. Let's give the fans a show. No different in my book, rules were changed.
Now would that happen, NO.
Should the said Ref be removed from upcoming games this year? That's a tough one. I think it's a little harsh, but what should the penalty be?

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
Mr 1000
Waterboy

Post by Mr 1000 »

TIGER#27 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:08 pm

Officials are only there to uphold the rules of the game and not change them no matter what.
What if both coaches agreed it would be O.K if players dunk during warm-ups without getting a T, I mean both agreed and the ref said sounds O.K since neither of you care. Let's give the fans a show. No different in my book, rules were changed.
Should the said Ref be removed from upcoming games this year? That's a tough one. I think it's a little harsh, but what should the penalty be?
Listen! This official cant be trusted. He cant follow basic rules and I wouldn't trust that he is making honest calls during the game. OHSAA did the right thing by giving him a punishment.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Mr 1000 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:01 pm

In which I applaud him for. He didn’t decide for the kids the outcome of the game. I would’ve done the same thing.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Mr 1000 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:23 pm

Listen! This official cant be trusted. He cant follow basic rules and I wouldn't trust that he is making honest calls during the game. OHSAA did the right thing by giving him a punishment.
I get the feeling you don’t like this guy, and I have no idea who you’re talking about. You seem to think he did this on purpose to purposely thwart the other team. If that’s the case, you may want to provide evidence, other than that I will agree with his decision to not affect the outcome of the game.

Mr 1000
Waterboy

Post by Mr 1000 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:25 pm

In which I applaud him for. He didn’t decide for the kids the outcome of the game. I would’ve done the same thing.
So your not a credible human either. You cant be trusted.

Mr 1000
Waterboy

Post by Mr 1000 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:27 pm
Mr 1000 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:23 pm

I get the feeling you don’t like this guy, and I have no idea who you’re talking about. You seem to think he did this on purpose to purposely thwart the other team. If that’s the case, you may want to provide evidence, other than that I will agree with his decision to not affect the outcome of the game.
I have no idea who this guy is and really don't care. All I know is he cant follow basic rules so I don't care to know him.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Mr 1000 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:27 pm

So your not a credible human either. You cant be trusted.
Let’s not get yourself removed from this thread.

bradyquinnd
Waterboy

Post by bradyquinnd »

Mr 1000 take a chill pill dude, you sound like this guy did something to you.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I think you’re missing a key point here.... you’re acting like the guy decided WhiteOak could wear orange so they didn’t have to forfeit..... But they didn’t have to forfeit. They possessed the white jerseys and had them in the locker room. All they had to do was quickly change. Most teams come in from warmups around the 7-10 minute mark, they could have quickly changed then.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:44 pm

I think you’re missing a key point here.... you’re acting like the guy decided WhiteOak could wear orange so they didn’t have to forfeit..... But they didn’t have to forfeit. They possessed the white jerseys and had them in the locker room. All they had to do was quickly change. Most teams come in from warmups around the 7-10 minute mark, they could have quickly changed then.
Perhaps I haven’t. Maybe I didn’t understand correctly. Did whiteoak intentionally wear another uniform fornthe sake of gaining an advantage? Because I read wear a technical foul should’ve been called?

Return to “Boys Basketball”