Head Coaching Vacancies

Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Re: Head Coaching Vacancies

Post by Truth Serum »

I remember Williams being an excellent player for eastern and piketon. I also know he coached out of the area. Anyone know what kind of success he had ? Record ? Tourney success ?

Best of luck to Williams and the Indians. Hopefully western can keep him there.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I've heard Barrick has retired from Eastern today, anyone else hear this??

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

greygoose wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:03 pm I've heard Barrick has retired from Eastern today, anyone else hear this??
The only surprise with this news would be "retire". I never expected him to return for another season at Eastern but am surprised he would retire.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Geesh, is Robertson at Waverly starting to worry about his job? The 3 other Pike County coaches all stepped down, he has to be nervous! :D

Only kidding..

Hate to see Barrick step down, but can't say I'm fully surprised. Eastern has a very difficult task at hand joining the SOC 2 this year and graduating a ton of talent from last year's team. Whoever the new coach is will have a difficult hand dealt to them, but I've heard they have some younger kids (junior high maybe?) that are pretty good.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

So barrick steps down after ensuring the school he is their for the long haul has to hurt. After most available coaches have accepted other positions.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:13 am Geesh, is Robertson at Waverly starting to worry about his job? The 3 other Pike County coaches all stepped down, he has to be nervous! :D

Only kidding..

Hate to see Barrick step down, but can't say I'm fully surprised. Eastern has a very difficult task at hand joining the SOC 2 this year and graduating a ton of talent from last year's team. Whoever the new coach is will have a difficult hand dealt to them, but I've heard they have some younger kids (junior high maybe?) that are pretty good.
My guess is eastern won't remain in the SOC2 for long, I'm sure they'll realize they made a big mistake in wanting to move up.

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

greygoose wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:51 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:13 am Geesh, is Robertson at Waverly starting to worry about his job? The 3 other Pike County coaches all stepped down, he has to be nervous! :D

Only kidding..

My guess is eastern won't remain in the SOC2 for long, I'm sure they'll realize they made a big mistake in wanting to move up.
Minimum of 5 years. That's what I heard.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Boys basketball and girls volleyball the only reason to move up?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

mattash wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:52 pm Boys basketball and girls volleyball the only reason to move up?
Everyone at eastern is still trying to figure it out haha. Senior basketball team is gone. Good group of freshman coming in next year but I would guess that most soc2 schools have the same scenario as well as good teams currently. It will absolutely kill volleyball and baseball. I know parents get mad and say things they dont follow through on but I have had a few parents say they are transferring their kids. Significant athletes. We will see.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

If Eastern's basketball program is going back to D4, the move to SOC II will help them come tourney time, but say goodbye to any league championships. As far as the other sports, don't see much benefit for them other than bigger gates (SOC II schools bring a lot more fans).*

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Watson45 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:06 am
mattash wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:52 pm Boys basketball and girls volleyball the only reason to move up?
Everyone at eastern is still trying to figure it out haha. Senior basketball team is gone. Good group of freshman coming in next year but I would guess that most soc2 schools have the same scenario as well as good teams currently. It will absolutely kill volleyball and baseball. I know parents get mad and say things they dont follow through on but I have had a few parents say they are transferring their kids. Significant athletes. We will see.
Waverly will take a few..... make up for the ones we lost to Eastern 4 or 5 years ago, lol.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:21 am If Eastern's basketball program is going back to D4, the move to SOC II will help them come tourney time, but say goodbye to any league championships. As far as the other sports, don't see much benefit for them other than bigger gates (SOC II schools bring a lot more fans).*
Heard ppl say this, but when you win 4-5 games a year and you land a terrible seeding going up against the 1 or 2 seed has that really helped?? Then when you lose kids because they content to be a punching bag for 20 games a year, I don't by into this at all. Maybe if you were going to be competitive but playing a season where you get beat by 15-25 points game in and game out doesn't help anyone.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Watson45 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:06 am
Nothing for them to figure out, ask the school why the heck did they move up, I mean honestly I don't believe anyone was thinking on that.

EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

Eastern will be down but they're not going to be a punching bag in the SOC 2 in basketball. They've got some good young pieces to work with and I've yet to hear of any players going to transfer becuae of moving up.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Maybe for bigger gates (eastern)

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

mattash wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:41 am Maybe for bigger gates (eastern)
DING DING DING

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

[/quote]

I find this hysterical. So parents are going to transfer their kids because they are moving up and moving up on Level of Play? Wow! If you are one of these parents and reading this the only thing I can say is "COME ON MAN"! LOL

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

The SOC I and II are supposed to be split evenly according to enrollment I think.

I know they haven't always stuck to this with Northwest and Valley for football.

But, I think according to numbers and Ironton St Joe coming in, Eastern had to move up to balance out the conference.

Someone needs to list the newest #s that just came out, some of them are surprising to me.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

BBALL99 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:55 pm The SOC I and II are supposed to be split evenly according to enrollment I think.

I know they haven't always stuck to this with Northwest and Valley for football.

But, I think according to numbers and Ironton St Joe coming in, Eastern had to move up to balance out the conference.

Someone needs to list the newest #s that just came out, some of them are surprising to me.
Below is the proposed enrollment for each school for the 2019-2021 seasons. Keep in mind this does NOT count in the CB, but is simply the student population of the district.

SOC 1

*Ironton St. Joe 23
Notre Dame 31
New Boston 48
East 50
Clay 62
Green 78
Symmes Valley 105
Eastern 113
Western 119

* Future member of SOC 1

SOC 2

South Webster 101
Valley 116
Oak Hill 162
Wheelersburg 158
Northwest 174
Minford 179
West 190
Waverly 242

https://ohsaa.org/school-resources/school-enrollment

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Looking at these numbers only furthers my belief that the SOC should slightly expand and have 3 divisions. I've always liked something along these lines:

SOC 1

Notre Dame
St. Joe
New Boston
East
Clay
Green

SOC 2

Symmes Valley
South Webster
Eastern
Western
Valley
Oak Hill

SOC 3

Wheelersburg
Waverly
Minford
West
Northwest
Portsmouth

Portsmouth is obviously not a member of the SOC nor has there been any recent talk of them joining..... this is just something I've thought for many years now.

Could always add in a Manchester to SOC 1.... Rock Hill to SOC 2...... Ironton to SOC 3.... to make it leagues of 7 which would probably be more beneficial for scheduling purposes.

Again, just spewing out loud. None of this is actually being discussed and the OVC schools are obviously very happy with what they have going.

Return to “Boys Basketball”