Head Coaching Vacancies

theblessedone33
Waterboy

Re: Head Coaching Vacancies

Post by theblessedone33 »

BackTap wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:27 am
EagleNut14 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:55 am I can see Eastern competing and probably even splitting with Northwest, West, Oak Hill, South Webster, Minford and maybe Valley. Waverly and Burg will be tough but other than that league will not be head and shoulders above Eastern. The sophomore and incoming freshman class had very good records along with this past years 7th grade too. I know the classes behind that also have some talent coming up. We'll be fine.
Just my opinion, but I really disagree with Eastern competing. Northwest is probably the only one they can split with for the foreseeable future...
I agree 100%. Eastern will struggle for at least 3-4 years. Bottom of the SOC struggle.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

greygoose wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:10 pm
BBALL99 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:55 pm The SOC I and II are supposed to be split evenly according to enrollment I think.

I know they haven't always stuck to this with Northwest and Valley for football.

But, I think according to numbers and Ironton St Joe coming in, Eastern had to move up to balance out the conference.

Someone needs to list the newest #s that just came out, some of them are surprising to me.
You would be incorrect on having to move up, otherwise northwest would've moved up over Eastern. The powers to be at Eastern chose to move up in everything but football. Oak Hill moves up and football coach heads for the hills, eastern moves up and barrick heads for the hills. I'm sure neither school planned on moving up without their coaches.
I don't know why Eastern would be surprised Barrick left. Eastern not being in SOC2 was one reason he took the job and from what I heard he fought them moving up.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:48 am
greygoose wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:10 pm
BBALL99 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:55 pm The SOC I and II are supposed to be split evenly according to enrollment I think.

I know they haven't always stuck to this with Northwest and Valley for football.

But, I think according to numbers and Ironton St Joe coming in, Eastern had to move up to balance out the conference.

Someone needs to list the newest #s that just came out, some of them are surprising to me.
You would be incorrect on having to move up, otherwise northwest would've moved up over Eastern. The powers to be at Eastern chose to move up in everything but football. Oak Hill moves up and football coach heads for the hills, eastern moves up and barrick heads for the hills. I'm sure neither school planned on moving up without their coaches.
I don't know why Eastern would be surprised Barrick left. Eastern not being in SOC2 was one reason he took the job and from what I heard he fought them moving up.
From what I'm hearing no-one is surprised by him leaving, at least this soon maybe. You have to believe that he would've told them up front that he'd leave if they moved up. It's almost may, I just find the timing a bit off, as if maybe he has lined something else up first before taking off. He had no say in the move up, he knows what is in the cupboard at Eastern, if he felt they could've competed he wouldn't have taken off. Keep that in mind for those of you talking about splitting this series or that series.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Everybody is talking about the cupboard being bare at Eastern, I thought the good shooter was an underclassmen. Was he a senior too?

This is same narrative that was said about Fairland last Spring. They graduated their top 6 players, the cupboard was bare and they had to compete in what I considered the toughest league in Southern Ohio. I don’t think Eastern is Fairland, but Fairland did proved anything is possible. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

kram
Varsity

Post by kram »

Heard from a source that Barrick himself said he would never step foot in the gym at Wheelersburg again. With the move up, he obviously would have to do so this coming year. Could play a part into why he stepped down?

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Congrats to Western Pike for getting a very good coach to build their future on. Coach Williams is a proven talent. Good luck Indians.

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

Buckler from Piketon would be a good hire for Eastern

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

baseball16 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:11 pm Everyone at eastern is still trying to figure it out haha. Senior basketball team is gone. Good group of freshman coming in next year but I would guess that most soc2 schools have the same scenario as well as good teams currently. It will absolutely kill volleyball and baseball. I know parents get mad and say things they dont follow through on but I have had a few parents say they are transferring their kids. Significant athletes. We will see.
I find this hysterical. So parents are going to transfer their kids because they are moving up and moving up on Level of Play? Wow! If you are one of these parents and reading this the only thing I can say is "COME ON MAN"! LOL
[/quote]

I dont agree with it personally but I understand why a parent wouldn't want to see their kid frustrated for the next few years due to lopsided losing seasons. Most of the people I have talked to dont see it as "moving up a level of play". They see it as "why in the world would we do that"? You are the only person I have seen with any confidence on this move. I hope they do amazing. And that is a good 8th grade group, a few good sophomores and a lights out junior. But freshman have a very hard time competing physically against much bigger kids. Eastern will definitely be undersized. We will see. I hope I am wrong. I think another major complaint is this only addresses boys basketball. There are other programs that will be far worse off.

As far as ticket sales goes, that is fine. But what if the majority of seats you're filling are opposing team fans? Wouldn't the gate draw possibly even out to previous years if eastern people stop coming to bad games? Once again, I pray this isnt the case but it has to be considered.

Also the reason I think it surprised eastern fans is because coach said he was there for the long haul after the move was made. I would bet he will resurface somewhere pretty soon. As for most of us who follow this forum, I dont think we are surprised that he wouldn't want to play soc2 without a team as strong as this past seasons team.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

For all of those who are questioning why Tom Barrick decided to resign from Eastern Pike:

I believe that this decision is based upon family. Not sure how many people know this, but his wife has had severe heart issues over the past 15+ years. She has had several open heart surgeries and valve replacement operations. She is having ongoing issues; I'm sure many people would notice her at games in the past years. This year, she was only able to attend 2 games due to heart issues.

While there may be multiple reasons for Coach Barrick's decision, family needs were the primary issue.

Tom Barrick had a tremendous run at Eastern Pike and I know that he worked his hardest to leave the program in a great place.

I never knew Tom Barrick to back down just because he had a "down" team....

Congratulations to Coach Barrick and I wish you the best as you embark on the next stage of life.
Last edited by socfan on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Thank you socfan, that’s a great post, spot on.

BackTap
Riding the Bench

Post by BackTap »

hbk1999 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:26 pm Buckler from Piketon would be a good hire for Eastern
100% agree with that! He would be an outstanding pick for the Eagles program!

Bobby k
Freshman Team

Post by Bobby k »

BackTap wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:29 pm
hbk1999 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:26 pm Buckler from Piketon would be a good hire for Eastern
No way Buckler leaves what Piketons got going on with the Miller era. He bleeds Red and Grey

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Bobby k wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:16 pm
No way Buckler leaves what Piketons got going on with the Miller era. He bleeds Red and Grey
You’re right. Plus Eastern already has a JV coach

BackTap
Riding the Bench

Post by BackTap »

I don’t think he would leave. Just saying he would be a great hire.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

mlittle wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:24 pm

He will be at Piketon. He told me how much he missed Piketon when he was at another school. I’m sure you can relate to that these days?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

AnkleBraces wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:46 pm

He will be at Piketon. He told me how much he missed Piketon when he was at another school. I’m sure you can relate to that these days?
Only thing we miss about Piketon is the low expectations and free school lunches. $3 a day per kid adds up. Bout to start a go fund me page.

PikeCo23
Waterboy

Post by PikeCo23 »

Buckler would be a good one to look into. He's done well with the JV program for years. Have not heard too many names for the Eastern job yet. Not sure if they are compiling a list or trying to keep it quiet for someone they know or want to ask first.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

PikeCo23 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:20 am Buckler would be a good one to look into. He's done well with the JV program for years. Have not heard too many names for the Eastern job yet. Not sure if they are compiling a list or trying to keep it quiet for someone they know or want to ask first.
Very early in the process for them at this point, heck it just happened a few days ago. They'll have to go through the process of posting and everything, maybe they'll have someone on the inside they're looking at. Probably won't hear any names for a couple weeks would be my guess

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

mlittle wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:26 am

Only thing we miss about Piketon is the low expectations and free school lunches. $3 a day per kid adds up. Bout to start a go fund me page.
How'd this past season turn out for you, mliitle? 0-2 against the Streaks, if I remember correctly. Guess we exceeded our low expectations. :roll:

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

mikepike wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:01 am
mlittle wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:26 am

How'd this past season turn out for you, mliitle? 0-2 against the Streaks, if I remember correctly. Guess we exceeded our low expectations. :roll:
How could I forget? That literally scarred me for life

Return to “Boys Basketball”