3/9 8PM Wheelersburg (24-0) v Alexander (17-7)

rxburgfan
All State

Re: 3/9 8PM Wheelersburg (24-0) v Alexander (17-7)

Post by rxburgfan »

At some point Holden will need to defend to keep moving forward. He just needs to decide to or be told to. Either way I’d like to see some defense.

Sportsfan32
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan32 »

Wheelersburg 56
Alexander 41

GO BURG!!

Whether Hell freezes over or pigs learn to fly, I'll be a Wheelersburg Pirate till the day I die
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Burg by many.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

I've heard many hope that Wheelersburg is just bored and ready for regionals, but they have not looked like any 24-0 I've ever seen. Alexander will give the Pirates a battle unless a new team other than the most recent games shows up for Burg.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

N2Hoops wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:50 am I've heard many hope that Wheelersburg is just bored and ready for regionals, but they have not looked like any 24-0 I've ever seen. Alexander will give the Pirates a battle unless a new team other than the most recent games shows up for Burg.
I have to agree.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

N2Hoops wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:50 am I've heard many hope that Wheelersburg is just bored and ready for regionals, but they have not looked like any 24-0 I've ever seen. Alexander will give the Pirates a battle unless a new team other than the most recent games shows up for Burg.
Don’t let what you’ve seen deceive you because the other teams are intentionally slowing it down. It’s the only way to play burg unless you have athletes. Even then teams like waverly and Jackson with solid athletes still had a hard time. There’s a reason they are 24-0. Also Tanner Holden hasn’t played his best tournament game.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Assuming Wheelersburg does win, Alexander will be a great test for the next round. Garaway/Meadowbrook are both very physical and well coached. Alexander isn't quite on their level, but they have very similar playing styles.

I'm still banking on a Meadowbrook/Burg regional semi-final. That would be an absolute battle and an awesome game for us fans to enjoy.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

scott1297 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:51 pm Is it Saturday yet? Can't wait to go back to the round house and watch some more Pirate Basketball! Should be a great game and I think Burg will hit atleast 8 threes in this one and break the streak of 2 poor shooting games in a row
I'm betting on 4 from Mullins!

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

I too hope the shooting woes are behind them but the bottom line is survive and advance. If they hold Alexander to under 40 as they have the last two teams, I REALLY like our chances. Seems like Alexander has struggled to score the past two games also. Maybe first team to 50 wins lol

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Despite some shooting woes for the Pirates from time to time, the bottom line is that they have won every game.....24-0........which tells me that they don't have to totally rely on perimeter shooting to win.

Truth Serum
Riding the Bench

Post by Truth Serum »

Pirates have not looked sharp at all. Alexander will play hard but have trouble matching up with the Pirates. Wheelersburg by 15+

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I agree with what you're saying, Truth Serum, but it seems like the farther you go in the tourney, the uglier the games get. I know from watching Portsmouth advance to the district finals and beyond that the Trojans didn't look nearly like the team they did in the regular season or sectional play. But the Trojans found ways to win other than their normal game. The reality is that it's difficult for a team to look really sharp when the pressure of the tournament sometimes makes teams win games other than their status quo.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

trojandave wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:56 pm I agree with what you're saying, Truth Serum, but it seems like the farther you go in the tourney, the uglier the games get. I know from watching Portsmouth advance to the district finals and beyond that the Trojans didn't look nearly like the team they did in the regular season or sectional play. But the Trojans found ways to win other than their normal game. The reality is that it's difficult for a team to look really sharp when the pressure of the tournament sometimes makes teams win games other than their status quo.
I agree with what you're saying trojandave, and even though last year has no bearing whatsoever on this year, I think back to the Sec.games at Jackson, plus the District games at the Convo, to me and even though they lost, I thought that the Burg looked and played as well against Harvest Prep as about any game during the year. I know that may be a hard thing to say, but Burg played right with HP, and very easily could have won that game. I know it was one of the best all around games that I ever saw Tanner Holden play. A lot of people didn't give Burg much of a chance going into that game. The whole Burg team seemed to gain a lot of confidence from that game, well at least 24-0 worth of confidence.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Burg’s shooting woes at The Convo was because they were shooting behind the wrong line, which just about every team does. IMO that is the reasoning behind a lot of 3’s being shot short. They are not used to shooting that extra step back.

They either have to add a little more to the shot of shoot from behind the right line.

Burg has averaged making around 8-9 3’s per game and have only made 6 the first two games. They get hit behind the arc they could possibly make it out of Athens and on to the Schott!

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Meadowbrook going to OT in District Semi

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Sandy Valley 48
Meadowbrook 47. 5.3 in OT

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Sandy Valley 48
Meadowbrook 47. F

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Garaway v Sandy Valley in East District Final.

Winner to Athens.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

The Region is Wheelersburg to lose! They are the most talented team left in the Region. Meadowbrook got beat tonight but they were not as good as they were last year. Garaway is a solid team but they are not as good as they were last year! Harvest Prep is not as good as they were last year. (But the Anthony kid is a nice guard)

Holden will be the best player on the floor until the Final Four and he may still be the best player on the floor. The teams in the Regional will try to run up and down the floor with Wheelersburg which will let them be at their best. I will be surprised if the Alexander game is within 15 points.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:17 pm The Region is Wheelersburg to lose! They are the most talented team left in the Region. Meadowbrook got beat tonight but they were not as good as they were last year. Garaway is a solid team but they are not as good as they were last year! Harvest Prep is not as good as they were last year. (But the Anthony kid is a nice guard)

Holden will be the best player on the floor until the Final Four and he may still be the best player on the floor. The teams in the Regional will try to run up and down the floor with Wheelersburg which will let them be at their best. I will be surprised if the Alexander game is within 15 points.
athletically, HP is much more talented. If Burg makes it to HP, it will be a WAR...

Return to “Boys Basketball”