3/9 8PM Wheelersburg (24-0) v Alexander (17-7)

E High
All State

Re: 3/9 8PM Wheelersburg (24-0) v Alexander (17-7)

Post by E High »

They’re not winning it all. They’ll play maybe meadowbrook and harvest prep in the regionals. That’s going to be really tough.

RedmenFB10
Waterboy

Post by RedmenFB10 »

Good luck to the burg from this rock hill boy !

BigLeagueChew
Waterboy

Post by BigLeagueChew »

Defensively Alex will challenge Burg to be disciplined and efficient on offense. The Pirates better play better than the first 2 rounds or this could be a barn burner. North Adams was a bad minute of basketball at end of 3rd from having a shot to push Burg in the 4th. The Alexander big protecting the rim could be huge for them if the Spartans contest and keep Burg in front. I think this will be a great game, Wheelersburg will be tested here.

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

62-48 Burg
Holden with 28
Truitt with 8
Mullins with 12
MIller with 4
T. Salyers with 5
MIller with 5
Last edited by PirateFan[69] on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Burg is definitely the favorite but Alexander does have plenty of athletes and Kearns is a fantastic coach. He will do what he can to prepare his kids for this game.

I do think Alexander will play primarily zone as it makes the most sense from a matchup perspective. Burg has plenty of perimeter shooters but if Terry guards any of them they'll simply pull him out to the 3 point line and make him guard out there. For Alexander to win they need Terry in the paint blocking/disrupting as many shots as possible.

I think it will be a very physical game and I think it'll be back and forth for 3 quarters before Burg pulls away and wins by 8-10 points.

Burg 54
Alexander 46

Watching SE Ohio basketball
burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

E High wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:36 pm They’re not winning it all. They’ll play maybe meadowbrook and harvest prep in the regionals. That’s going to be really tough.
Tough, but possible. If Burg somehow makes it out of the region, who's better than Harvest Prep? Any guesses?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

burgfella69 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:30 am
E High wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:36 pm They’re not winning it all. They’ll play maybe meadowbrook and harvest prep in the regionals. That’s going to be really tough.
Tough, but possible. If Burg somehow makes it out of the region, who's better than Harvest Prep? Any guesses?
Plenty of good teams capable of beating Harvest Prep. Just look at last year, Harvest Prep not only didn't win it -- they didn't even make the State Championship... The team that beat them, Africentric, lost in the state final.

This year the winner of the Athens Regional will square off in the Final 4 against the Kettering Regional winner. Favorites in that region include: Cincinnati Purcell Marian (#5 AP), Dayton Stivers School for the Arts, Deer Park, and Anna (#8 AP).

Of all the schools, Purcell Marian is the team I think that would be better than Harvest Prep. Absolutely BRUTAL schedule that includes St. Xavier, Moeller, Elder etc... and still wrapped up the #1 seed in their District. They have several players who play well above the rim and would be a very tough matchup for anyone coming out of the SE Regional (assuming they win their own Regional).

The potential state final matchups has plenty of capable teams still alive.... In my opinion the top 9-10 remaining on that side of the bracket are: Ashabula Edgewood (#6 AP), CLE Heights Lutheran East (#15 AP, brutal schedule), Worthington Christian (#13 AP), Johnstown Monroe, Genoa Area (#4 AP), Cardinal Stritch (#11 AP), Archbold (#1 AP), Ottawa Glandorf (#8 AP), and Willard.

Ottawa Glandorf will most likely face Archbold in the district final, both teams are VERY good.

Genoa Area would face Cardinal Stritch in the district final.

Johnstown Monroe would face Worthington Christian in the district final.

An abundance of extremely tough matchups before we can truly expect any team to meet them there.... but the top of D3 is very, VERY good this year with tons of teams capable of winning a state title.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Cin. Deer Park
Cin. Purcell Marian
Lutheran East
Archbold
Anna

All of these teams are state champion caliber, and will challenge Harvest Prep. I am very impressed with Purcell Marian out of Cincinnati. They are probably the most athletic team top to bottom in D3, with Lutheran East being a close second.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:55 am
Plenty of good teams capable of beating Harvest Prep. Just look at last year, Harvest Prep not only didn't win it -- they didn't even make the State Championship... The team that beat them, Africentric, lost in the state final.

This year the winner of the Athens Regional will square off in the Final 4 against the Kettering Regional winner. Favorites in that region include: Cincinnati Purcell Marian (#5 AP), Dayton Stivers School for the Arts, Deer Park, and Anna (#8 AP).

Of all the schools, Purcell Marian is the team I think that would be better than Harvest Prep. Absolutely BRUTAL schedule that includes St. Xavier, Moeller, Elder etc... and still wrapped up the #1 seed in their District. They have several players who play well above the rim and would be a very tough matchup for anyone coming out of the SE Regional (assuming they win their own Regional).

The potential state final matchups has plenty of capable teams still alive.... In my opinion the top 9-10 remaining on that side of the bracket are: Ashabula Edgewood (#6 AP), CLE Heights Lutheran East (#15 AP, brutal schedule), Worthington Christian (#13 AP), Johnstown Monroe, Genoa Area (#4 AP), Cardinal Stritch (#11 AP), Archbold (#1 AP), Ottawa Glandorf (#8 AP), and Willard.

Ottawa Glandorf will most likely face Archbold in the district final, both teams are VERY good.

Genoa Area would face Cardinal Stritch in the district final.

Johnstown Monroe would face Worthington Christian in the district final.

An abundance of extremely tough matchups before we can truly expect any team to meet them there.... but the top of D3 is very, VERY good this year with tons of teams capable of winning a state title.
OG best team I have seen this year. Better than HP and Burg I think.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

As far as I'm concerned, Alexander will have to shoot "lights out" from the outside to be able to have a chance to win this game. Burg has had a couple sub-par shooting games in a row, I don't see that continuing, as they have to many kids that are very capable of scoring the basketball. I don't see Terry on defense other than staying down low and trying to prevent Burg from getting to the rim. If he comes out to guard Holden, he will get beat to the rim all night long. Depending on the match-up, 90% of the time Alexander doesn't even attempt to play through Terry on Offense.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Eh, I'll take Burg 68-55

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

This game will have to be 42-38 for Alexander to have a shot at winning. I don't see how we score in the 50-60 to win this game. I seriously doubt Alexander plays a ton of zone. We have shown it several times but it is not our best defense. We are at our best when we just guard our physical man. However, I would love to see us do something like Chesapeak does with that extended zone and keep Terry in the middle to clean it up. But, like I said, that is not really in our bag of tricks. With one week to prepare, maybe we could put in some new wrinkles.

Nice to see Alexander get a win at the Convo, now we are going for something that has never happened. Get that District title!

Go Alex!

BurgBaskets
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgBaskets »

This one will not be a problem for Burg. Going with Burg by 20+.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

spartans_fan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:02 pm This game will have to be 42-38 for Alexander to have a shot at winning. I don't see how we score in the 50-60 to win this game. I seriously doubt Alexander plays a ton of zone. We have shown it several times but it is not our best defense. We are at our best when we just guard our physical man. However, I would love to see us do something like Chesapeak does with that extended zone and keep Terry in the middle to clean it up. But, like I said, that is not really in our bag of tricks. With one week to prepare, maybe we could put in some new wrinkles.

Nice to see Alexander get a win at the Convo, now we are going for something that has never happened. Get that District title!

Go Alex!
If Alexander goes man, Burg will no doubt start Holden down low like they usually do and draw Terry out and make him guard the perimeter. Is he quick enough to not get blown past by Holden? Or any of Burg's shooters?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Burg will play zone and Alex will play man defense

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Does Alex really have much of a chance ?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:40 pm Burg will play zone and Alex will play man defense
I can see Burg possibly playing some zone, but as mentioned earlier, I don't think Albany can play man. Terry would have to guard someone on the perimeter and that is a big advantage for Burg and multiplied by getting him out of the paint. Against Valley he was able to just hang around in the paint, but there will be an open shooter if he does the same thing against Burg. Terry will create a matchup issue for Burg as well, but either they will be in a collapsing zone or helping man to get the ball out of his hands quickly.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Wheelersburg 67
Alexander 51

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Is it Saturday yet? Can't wait to go back to the round house and watch some more Pirate Basketball! Should be a great game and I think Burg will hit atleast 8 threes in this one and break the streak of 2 poor shooting games in a row

Burg grad 85
rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Burg best team at the convo Saturday. Match ups will be key. Not sure who big man will guard. Can’t guard anyone man to man. If they leave him in paint Burg shooters will be key. But they are only shooting about 25 percent from 3 line but still dominating teams. Alex second best team Saturday. So should be good regional game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”