Basketball :30 Nite #2 ... D2's

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Basketball :30 Nite #2 ... D2's

Post by pfloyd »

Probably won't find too many better story lines than the Friday Night D2 menu of games :

Sheridan vs Waverly

... "the Rematch" (from last year's tale of 2 halves - Waverly Tiger comeback ... 50-23 second half blitz by WHS ...71-60 win)

Sheridan:

Ethan Heller (12) ...... 6-0
Luken Hill (11) ......... 6-5
Landen Russell (10) ... 6-1
Grant Heileman (12) ... 6-7
Ethan Malone (10) ......6-3/Costa Coconus (12) 6-0/Adam Boyle (12) 6-5 ... each started as the 5th man in the games I saw SHS this season

Waverly:

Cobe Marquez (12) ... 5-10
Trey Robertson (9) .... 5-8
Cody Remington (12) .. 5-10
Easton Wolfe (12) ...... 6-3
Ethan Dunn (12) ........ 6-4

Tanner Smallwood (11) 6-6/Payton Shoemaker (11) 5-8/Hayd'n Shanks (10) 6-3/Jackson Wise (10) 6-1/Will Futhey (9) 6-4

Warren vs Jackson

... 2 SEOAL schools getting back together on the hardwood ... Warren a frequent recipient of visits to the Convo under Coach Maddox (14 trips) ... the last time the Ironmen made it to Basketball 30 was 2003 when their head coach Max Marrow played in that loss to Gallia Academy ...

Warren :

Brandon Simonette (11) .... 6-1
Noah Nichols (12) ............6-0
Austin Barta (12) .............6-3
Clay Miller (12) ...............6-4
Seth Dennis (10) .............. 6-0

Bryce Knost (12) 5-11/Joel Chevalier (10) 6-0/Dylan Place (11) 6-4/Isaac Colgrove (11) 6-4/Gabe Venham(12) 5-10/Matt Goodman (12) 6-1

Jackson:

Treylan Davis (10) ..... 6-5
Caleb Wallis (11) ...... 5-7
Nevan Yates (12) ...... 5-11
Cooper Donaldson (12) ... 6-3
Caden Donaldson (11) .... 6-2

Matt Humphreys (12) 6-0/ Evan Spires (9)6-0/Drew Bragg(9) 6-1/Braxton Hammond (10) 6-3/Brice Graham (11) 6-1
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Re: Basketball 30 Nite #2 ... D2's

Post by LucasDavenport »

This might be a good spot to do updates....

Warming up now as Waverly requires a little more attention than most.

Good luck to Waverly and Jackson tonight.

smurray and UKfanatic and Ironman92 in the house tonight!

Coach Robertson in a special position tonight -- back at the Convo but also with his son in the starting 5. Pretty cool.

Also -- good luck to my favorite Tiger -- Payton Shoemaker -- Cobe Marquez would be second but only because his old man was so slow on The Track back in the day.
Last edited by LucasDavenport on Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... looking over my napkin stat sheets from the regular season ALL 4 of these TEAMS play a bunch ... I know Warren played 11 in the sectional vs VC ... Sheridan went 9 deep with significant minutes ... Jackson goes 8-10 easy ... Waverly 8-10 ALL with again significant minutes ... you lace 'em tonight YOU BE PLAYIN' !!! ( a 2 pencil night at the Convo) ...

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Tri-State has done a wonderful job with brackets and etc. this year and he has the scores and updates thread up now so I will do the updates there and allow this one to stay mainly for the positive commentary.

Waverly had 3 fouled out for most of OT vs McClain and is one of the few teams who could withstand that reduction.

I said in the Waverly v McClain thread that Waverly has a swagger about them that makes them very dangerous. Then they score 9 points in the final 25 seconds vs McClain...…… they always think they are in the game and they are dangerous. Not to steal anything from Baker Mayfield because Waverly wakes up feeling dangerous every morning.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... playing at the Convo, Basketball Thirty, Lou making it real ... turns the "anticipation" levels up a notch JUST BEING IN THAT ATMOSPHERE - heck I was excited just being down by the scorer table talking to Lou yesterday LOL ... throw in the importance of the games , ADD a TEAM like Waverly which is built on turning up the pressure for 32 minutes !! - I'm smiling !!! fun times !!! Basketball 30 !!!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Is Makiah Merritt still on the team for Warren? Does he get minutes?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

should be two great games tonight!

WWBBB
Freshman Team

Post by WWBBB »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:03 pm Is Makiah Merritt still on the team for Warren? Does he get minutes?
Think I heard he left the team after their 2nd game. Not sure why he left though.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

WWBBB wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:01 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:03 pm Is Makiah Merritt still on the team for Warren? Does he get minutes?
Think I heard he left the team after their 2nd game. Not sure why he left though.
Wow. He is a good athlete, definitely has lots of potential moving forward.

Is he still enrolled at Warren or has he transferred elsewhere?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Sheridan 65
Waverly 45 a final

Pfloyd's Official "un-official" Napkin Stats - Waverly ...

Scoring
... Cobe Marquez 12, Easton Wolfe 9, Cody Remington 6, Trey Robertson 5, Tanner Smallwood 3, Payton Shoemaker 2,Ethan Dunn 2, Hayd'n Shanks 2, Will Futhey 2, Gage Wheeler 2
3 Pointers ... 4/14 ... Cobe Marquez 2, Trey Robertson 1, Cody Remington 1
FTs ....... 7/11
TOs ..... 17
PnP ..... 11 fgs/22 points in the paint
PnT .... 3 fgs/6 points in transition

... Sheridan played a 3-2 zone - pushed the Waverly offense out on the court ... so much length out front made it difficult for much more than NBA threes for the much undersized Tigers on the perimeter ... Tigers never got into the Generals - as the TO's were on the Waverly side of the ledger early in this one (WHS with 7 TOs in the opening quarter) ... size does matter - as Waverly could not find a way to get to the rim - only 11 fgs in the paint combine that with the Tigers finding life tough on the perimeter with the SHS zone ... 19-6 after 1qtr ... the Tigers never really threatened from there ... no 50-23 come from behind bid in this one ...

Pfloyd's Official "un-official" Napkin Stats - Sheridan

Scoring ... Ethan Heller 25, Costa Coconus 12, Grant Heileman 9, Luken Hill 6, Landen Russell 4, Ethan Malone 3, Adam Boyle 2, Nate Johnson 2, Shay Taylor 2
3 Pointers ..... 5/12 ... Costa Coconus 2, Ethan Heller 2, Ethan Malone 1
FTs .......... 14/18
TOs ..... 16
PnP ... 17 fgs/34 points in the paint
PnT .... 1 fg/2 points in transition

... Sheridan is the most complete TEAM in the D2 district with true size in the paint that can post up and change shots - Heileman/Luken Hill/Landen Russell ... players who can get into the paint from the perimeter - Heller/Russell/Coconus ... nice ball club - the 3/2 zone kept Waverly searching for an offense all game - the little FT line jumper was the only open shot the Tigers were getting but couldn't hit it consistently enough to make SHS move the D ...

Warren 32
Jackson 42 a final

... Jackson's last visit to the Convo was 2003, with Max Morrow the player... a 39-26 loss to Gallia Academy ... Friday night Coach Morrow the Head Coach avenged that loss by leading his Ironmen over the Warren Warriors ... one of the best defensive efforts I have seen in long time - not only holding WHS to 32 points but taking away virtually everything from the Warrior offense for 4 quarters ... the win gets JHS into the district finale vs Sheridan ...

Pfloyd's Official "un-official" Napkin Stats - Warren

Scoring ... Clay Miller 8, Seth Dennis 8 , Brandon Simonette 6, Austin Barta 5, Noah Nichols 3, Bryce Knost 2
3 Pointers ... 4/10 ... Brandon Simonette 2, Noah Nichols 1, Austin Barta 1
FTs ....... 4/12
TOs ...... 13
PnP .... 6 fgs /12 points in the paint
PnT .... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition

... the Warriors went 3/3 from downtown in the first quarter ... those 3 shots might have been the only open/uncontested shots of the game for Warren as Jackson was outstanding in taking away EVERYTHING - perimeter shots, nothing in the paint - any passes into the paint were deflected or shots blocked by Davis and Cooper Donaldson who had "unofficially" 5 blocks down low for the Ironmen , dribble penetration non-existent ... at one point from the 2nd period thru the 1 minute mark of the 3rd quarter Jackson had held Warren to 2 fgs in 15 minutes of game clock - outstanding D by the Ironmen in shutting down the Warren Warrior offense - 32 points for the game ...

Pfloyd's official "un-official" Napkin Stats - Jackson

Scoring ... Cooper Donaldson 21, Caleb Wallis 13 , Treylan Davis 5, Caden Donaldson 3
3 Pointers ... 4/11 ... Caleb Wallis 3, Cooper Donaldson 1
FTs ........ 6/9
PnP ...... 8 fgs/16 points in the paint
PnT ...... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition

... Warren could not find/get into an offense due to the Jackson D ... Jackson found enough offense via 3 straight treys by PG Caleb Wallis in the 2nd to get separation for the Ironmen as the D held Warren to 1 fg in the 2nd quarter ... when Seth Dennis was able to make 3 driving shots in the final 1:15 of the 3rd Warren was able to pull within 3 points 24-27 ... the 4th was all Cooper Donaldson for JHS as the 6-4 senior swing man dropped 11 points on WHS, while the Warriors got 6 from Clay Miller to keep Warren moving forward ... WHS went 0/4 from the FT at crucial points in the quarter to seal their own fate and give the Ironmen the district semi-final "W" ... this one was a War from the opening tip to the end with Caleb Wallis dribbling out the clock on the Warrior season ... Ironmen 42 Warriors 32 a final ...

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Good seeing you and everyone tonight.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:09 am Good seeing you and everyone tonight.
... We should be good for tomorrow's games LucasDavenport ... I'm worried about the Sunday D4's with all of the snow being forecast for all day and into the night Sunday ... 6-10 inches ? - many of the D4's are coming from the River and West of Rte 23 ... I asked at the scorer's table if there was any contingency plans for Sunday - no one was aware of anything other than - leave home early, make plans to stay late and take your time going both directions ...

... good to see you & your better half as well ... didn't get to give a shout at Coach Scott but saw he made the trip back tonight ... not as many folks stopping up tonight ! busy times - good to see our friends on the Jackson radio - Dan Morrow & Co. went down to press row after the game - told Dan to give my congratulations to Coach Max & his kids - they just plain got it done defensively tonight vs Warren ... I don't know the Coaches from John Glenn but they found their way to the pfloyd Cheap Seats for both game tonight - looked like 4-5 coaches a couple rows above me ... Coach Kellough from Zane Trace , Coach Wolfe of Meigs County fame ... Coach Davis - the younger from Chesapeake stopped by - always good to see our friends from Chesapeake - looking forward to seeing the 'peake tomorrow ! good to meet the gentlemen from Oak Hill who stopped down to introduce himself ! - sounded like you spent a lot of time at the state tournament over the years ! as I told you - I don't usually go to the state tourney unless the SE District gets a team out of the regional - the last team I went to C'bus to watch was Warren back in 2013 ...

... time for the D3's to take the court ! 4 games starting at 3 pm !

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Basketball :30 Nite #2 ... D2's

Post by VetteMan »

Great run down and stats as usual Pfloyd.

Return to “Boys Basketball”