SEOPS HOF

Opening Nite of Basketball 30 ... D2's

Post by pfloyd »

Athens 28
Zane Trace 48 a final

Athens.........5 ...11 ... 24... 28
Zane Trace ..13 ..26 ...38 ... 48

Pfloyd's Official "un-official" Napkin Stats - Athens

Scoring ... Elijah Williams 13, Eli Chubb 4, Logan Maxfield 4, Brayden Markins 3, Josh Mace 2, Blake Shover 2
3 Pointers ... 1/22 ... Elijah Williams 1
FTs ...... 3/3
TOs ..... 17
PnP .... 9 fgs/18 points in the paint
PnT .... 5 fgs/10 points in transition

... Athens strength is the bigs on the inside ... Justin Hynes had 2 touches the entire game ... Athens scored 18 points from their offense for the game /10 points off of ZT turnovers in transition ...

Pfloyd's Official "un-official" Napkin Stats - Zane Trace

Scoring ... Nick Nesser 17, Cam Evans 15, Triton Davidson 10, Colby Swain 2, Chad Ison 2, Luke Johnson 2
3 Pointers ..... 2/11 ... 7 in the first quater/2 sec qtr/0 3rd/2 by jv's in the last minute ... Nick Nesser 1, Cam Evans 1
FTs ...... 8/11
TOs ...... 16
PnP ...... 11 fgs/22 points in the paint
PnT ..... 3 fgs / 6 points in transition
Medium range jumpers - 6 fgs /12 points

... ZT the better all around TEAM tonight ... nice defensive effort - kept the Bulldogs on the perimeter most of the game, limited touches in the paint - as Hynes was never an option down low in the AHS offense ...

Washington CH 39
Fairfield Union 50 a final

Wash CH ..... 9 ...17 ... 25 ...39
FU ............. 15..29 ... 35 ... 50

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Washington CH

Scoring ...Evan Upthegrove 12, Blaise Tayese 11, Richie Burns 6, Garett Leisure 5, Omar Porter 3, Drew Moats 2
3 Pointers .... 3/21 ... Richie Burns 2, Garett Leisure 1
FTs ... 1/4
TOs ... 12
PnP .... 8 fgs/16 points in the paint
PnT .... 1 fg/2 points in transition

Coach Scott's Blue Lions went 1/8 from behind the arc in the first quarter in falling behind the Falcons of Fairfield Union 15-9 in the first - FU was led by Chase Poston (7 pts) & Ryan Magill (3 pts) both with triples in the opening qtr. FU going 2/3 from downtown ... qtr 2 was mush the same - FU appeared more relaxed, played with a nice tempo in setting up their perimeter scoring - Poston added 2 more treys (8pts/16 for the half) ... for CH Evan Upthgrove put up 8 points the first half of action to lead the Blue Lions in the scorebook ... FU 29 CH 17 at intermission ... 12 point lead to open the 3rd for FU was cut into in the first 2 possessions - a transition bucket by Upthegrove followed by an Omar Porter triple cut the lead to 7 points after a couple of possession to open the 3rd ... the BL defense held FU to 6 3rd quarter points but the Courthouse offense could only muster 8 points in the quarter themselves ... FU 35 CH 25 after 3 ... down 10 points the Blue Lions went to Richie Burns out on the perimeter - the 6-5 big man for CH responded with 2 three pointers that dropped the FU lead to 6 points and the ball - game on ... both teams lost their way as each could not move the point totals forward - with each possession seemingly important - neither team took quality shots, each with chances to either extended the lead or get back in the game ... at the 4:08 mark FU pushed the lead back to 9 points at 39-30 ... FU outscored the House the rest of the way 11-5 to finish the scoring ... FU 50 Washington CH 39 a final ...

Pfloyd's Official "un-official" Napkin Stats - Fairfield Union

Scoring ... Chase Poston 17, Huston Harrah 15, Evan Conley 9, Ryan Magill 7, Andrew Moll 2
3 Pointers ... 4/12 ... Chase Poston 3, Ryan Magill 1
FTs ...... 8/12
TOs ..... 11
PnP ... 13 fgs/26 points in the paint
PnT .... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition

Reds Fan
JV Team

Re: Opening Nite of Basketball 30 ... D2's

Post by Reds Fan »

Great write up! it was nice chatting with you up in the cheap seats tonight!

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

It was 29-13 late 2nd. 29-22 early 3rd.

It was 37-25 early 4th. 39-35 with around 2:30 to go. Layup by Harrah to push to 41-35 and Richie missed the 3 that went halfway down. Got it to 4 one more time at 41-37 but ran out of gas.

I thought Fairfield made some tough shots in the 2nd quarter. Very good quarter that was hard to overcome. 29-13 late in the first half to 41-37 was a pretty good push but they were better tonight

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... great spending about a half hour chatting with Lou Horvath before the game tonight ! - not sure Basketball 30 is Basketball 30 without Sweet Lou on the PA - thanks for welcoming pfloyd "home" tonight - being at the Convo is like putting on your favorite pair of old jeans - as comfortable as it gets - home ... got to greet Coach Kellough as ZT arrived this evening - Coach K - one of the best of the best courtside for sure - congratulations to you and the Pioneers on advancing in the one & done season ...

... made my way up to the Cheap Seats - joined by many tonight - the Knost /Hall families sat in the pfloyd cheap seat section ! wonderful peoples - always welcome on the west side of the Convo ! ... the Warren coaching staff sat with pfloyd - Coach Maddox, Coach Mitchem, Coach Coffman, Coach Hall , Coach Padgett , along with Coach Matt Hoops/Coach John Bruce of Unioto high school ... good to see smeltzy tonight rooting on his Falcons ... Reds Fan - stopped up to introduce himself tonight - nice to meet you young man ! always good to put a face with the user names on seops Coach Helber/Coach G/Coach Eversole gaves us a shout in the Cheap Seats as well ... Coach Scott of Washington CH -good to see you to wish you & the Blue Lions well before your game along with LucasDavenport before he took his seat next to Lou at the scorers table ! nice seat LD !

... Sheridan vs Waverly in the "rematch" tomorrow night to tip things off followed by the Warren Warriors vs the Jackson Ironmen in a trip down SEOAL Days on Memory Lane ... good stuff ! hope to run into more folks tomorrow night at the Roundhouse !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... almost forgot my partner in crime at the Convo for the many years I have been going to the Convo - 93bulldog ! great seeing you before and after the Athens game that you called tonight on the radio with your partner/play by play man Lukas Moore - you guys do a great job ... SEO thanks you for your coverage of Athens & the TVC sports ... you still have Alexander on the play list !!!

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Shocked that Athens played that bad and Court House didn’t do a whole lot better. Basketball getting really ugly at the HS most places. Hopefully there’s a turnaround in next couple years. 👏

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

E High wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:57 am Shocked that Athens played that bad and Court House didn’t do a whole lot better. Basketball getting really ugly at the HS most places. Hopefully there’s a turnaround in next couple years. 👏
Sounds like 2 ugly games that were never in doubt. A lot of these high school kids anymore watch all these 3's being thrown up in the college and pro games and think that should be the norm. The mid-range 10-15 footer, bank shots using the glass and boxing out are lost arts in the big boys game and It's becoming that way in the high school game with less talented players. The showboat mentality is taking over and basic fundamentals are being lost in the shuffle. I'm glad high school kids don't give interviews after the games or it would be much like the college or pro scenario: (reporter: how did you manage to work through the adversity and win this game tonight ? - player: coach just told me to keep shooting and I finally hit a couple and as long as they kept feeding me the ball I knew I'd hit them sooner or later).

* 10 for 66 on 3 pointers, both games combined, 15.1%* ugghhh !!!!!
Last edited by FANOSPORTS on Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:56 am
E High wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:57 am Shocked that Athens played that bad and Court House didn’t do a whole lot better. Basketball getting really ugly at the HS most places. Hopefully there’s a turnaround in next couple years. 👏
Sounds like 2 ugly games that were never in doubt. A lot of these high school kids anymore watch all these 3's being thrown up in the college and pro games and think that should be the norm. The mid-range 10-12 footer, bank shots using the glass and boxing out are lost arts in the big boys game and It's becoming that way in the high school game with less talented players. The showboat mentality is taking over and basic fundamentals are being lost in the shuffle. I'm glad high school kids don't give interviews after the games or it would be much like the college or pro scenario: (reporter: how did you manage to work through the adversity and win this game tonight ? - player: coach just told me to keep shooting and I finally hit a couple and as long as they kept feeding me the ball I knew I'd hit them sooner or later).

* 10 for 66 on 3 pointers, both games combined* ugghhh !!!!!
I could definitely add to this and elaborate more. May do so later when I have time. But you are right, FANOSPORTS ... But not entirely, still more games to come with teams that DO PLAY with really good fundamentals, starting with Warren tonight.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:38 am ... almost forgot my partner in crime at the Convo for the many years I have been going to the Convo - 93bulldog ! great seeing you before and after the Athens game that you called tonight on the radio with your partner/play by play man Lukas Moore - you guys do a great job ... SEO thanks you for your coverage of Athens & the TVC sports ... you still have Alexander on the play list !!!
And Trimble, Floyd. Don't forget about Howie and the Cats. My weekend is booked with high school basketball tournament action, which is great!

BTW, loved the Jersey last night! #9

:mrgreen:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Not much Athens could do without 3 starters. Butcher was suspended, Chubb looked like he was gonna die from the flu, and Maxfield left the game and went to the ER. I heard it didn’t break so that’s a positive note

E High
All State

Post by E High »

That explains one of the blowouts.

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Thanks for the shoutout pfloyd!! It's always great to see you. I have only been a SEOPS member for 4 or 5 yrs but you have always treated me like we've known each other for a long time. Look forward to seeing you for many more years to come.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:14 am
Not much Athens could do without 3 starters. Butcher was suspended, Chubb looked like he was gonna die from the flu, and Maxfield left the game and went to the ER. I heard it didn’t break so that’s a positive note
Maxfield left in the 3rd when it was already a 15 point game. I’m thankful to hear that he didn’t break anything, that was a nasty fall.

If WCH had their original starting roster there last night, I think that they win fairly handily. But, things happen and they battled with the guys that they had last night and were able to give themselves a chance in the 4th. If Burns’ 3 would’ve stayed down, things would’ve gotten really interesting down the stretch.

Bud07
Freshman Team

Post by Bud07 »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:20 am
Maxfield left in the 3rd when it was already a 15 point game. I’m thankful to hear that he didn’t break anything, that was a nasty fall.

If WCH had their original starting roster there last night, I think that they win fairly handily. But, things happen and they battled with the guys that they had last night and were able to give themselves a chance in the 4th. If Burns’ 3 would’ve stayed down, things would’ve gotten really interesting down the stretch.
They lost by 11 and I don't think it was ever in doubt. How can you say they would win handily. I just don't understand that.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Thanks Dani!

We were able to get within 4 twice — And goodness the table thought that 3 was down.

Our 6th man’s family left on vacation Sunday. Connor didn’t know until Monday morning when they called into school that he was going to be gone. There’s a new one for ya.

It was an interesting season.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Bud07 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:27 am
danicalifornia wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:20 am

They lost by 11 and I don't think it was ever in doubt. How can you say they would win handily. I just don't understand that.
It wasn’t in doubt last night. But, you add 20 ppg and a great defender, plus 2 more kids who were no longer with the team (at least last night) and they have the depth to play the harder, more aggressive defense that they showed early on.

That’s also from seeing both squads up close at full strength early in the season.

It doesn’t matter, because the better team last night won and did so by 11.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I’m not sure if some of you left before the last 6:00 of the 2nd game.

I understand I have bias but it amazes me how a narrative can be painted that simply isn’t true.

At 29-13 late first half I was afraid it might get ugly.

It was 29-22 with 7:00 to go 3rd quarter — that was our first opportunity to force the issue and we didn’t convert

At 37-25 or perhaps even 39-25 early 4th again I worried it was pushing to a breaking point — but then it was 39-30 with 4:00 to go and a steal with a conversion and a Burns 3 made it 39-35 with around 2:30. If that isn’t game pressure then I’m not sure we watched the same game

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

LucasDavenport wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:39 am I’m not sure if some of you left before the last 6:00 of the 2nd game.

I understand I have bias but it amazes me how a narrative can be painted that simply isn’t true.

At 29-13 late first half I was afraid it might get ugly.

It was 29-22 with 7:00 to go 3rd quarter — that was our first opportunity to force the issue and we didn’t convert

At 37-25 or perhaps even 39-25 early 4th again I worried it was pushing to a breaking point — but then it was 39-30 with 4:00 to go and a steal with a conversion and a Burns 3 made it 39-35 with around 2:30. If that isn’t game pressure then I’m not sure we watched the same game
Agreed.

We talked about going at halftime, but figured to stay since WCH went on a mini run to end the half and knew that they would come out similar to what they did end up doing.

FU started to rush its offense in the 2nd half after being fairly methodical and borderline surgical in their execution in the 1st half, which helped WCH get back into it, along with some great defense.

It was a good game that looked like it was going to get out of hand at times, but both teams did a good job of dealing with the other’s runs and it made the final score feel about right for the game.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Even on their best night I don't think Athens beats ZT.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

The second quarter #23 hit some shots that were special. In the first half he had 15 I believe. He was the difference. If he has a first half like his second half then it’s game on the whole way.

The better team won last night — but I assure you the table enjoyed the 4th quarter. Lou thought Burns’ 3 was down. It would have been 41-38 and we would have called timeout with like 1:50? Got it to 41-37 but couldn’t convert after that.

Lack of depth changes what you can do. Pick your spots and try and have a chance at the end.

Return to “Boys Basketball”