Covo 3/1 6:15PM Waverly v Sheridan

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Covo 3/1 6:15PM Waverly v Sheridan

Post by LucasDavenport »

1st game of the 2nd night of Action in the Convo

17-6 Waverly v 18-5 Sheridan.

Rematch from same place same time last year.

Promises to be interesting!

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Friday 3/1 6:15. Waverly v Sheridan

Post by pfloyd »

THE REMATCH !!! ... the Tigers made me look good last year ... I had posted that I felt that the Generals have difficulty handling perimeter pressure ... before the game Coach Maddox & the Warren crew asked me who I had in the game - I said Waverly & my reasoning "I don't feel Sheridan can handle the 32 minutes of pressure Cody Remington & Co. would apply" ... Sheridan 17 Waverly 13 after 1, Sheridan 37 Waverly 21 at intermission ... rut ruh (pfloyd doesn't know what he is talking about ?) ... Remington got in early foul trouble in the first 2 qtrs - Cody came back in the 3rd qtr. AND SO DID THE TIGERS ! holding Sheridan to 7 pts AND turning the Generals over 8 times in the 3rd leading to a score of ..... wait for it 44-44 after 3 ! the 4th ? ALL TIGERS - Clayton Howell scored 12 of his 16 points in the 4th, Easton Wolfe 9pts ... the Tiger pressure turned SHS over 5 more times in the 4th (13 TOs in the 2nd half/21 for the game) ... Waverly 71 Sheridan 60 a final ... the Tigers had 4 players in double figures (Easton Wolfe 21/Ethan Adrian 14/Cody Remington 14/ Clayton Howell 16) ... I look at the Waverly lineup - Cody Remington, Ethan Dunn, Easton Wolfe, Cobe Marquez ... same MO ... cause 32 minutes of havoc/pressure on your perimeter people ... going to be fun to watch AGAIN !!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Here was my post game write-up after the Sheridan vs Waverly Round 1 game :

Waverly 71
Sheridan 60 a final

... talk about a tale of 2 halves ! Waverly was knocked out in the first 2 quarters - they were "stick a fork in 'em - done" ...

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - First Half - Waverly ...

Scoring (21)... Wolfe 7, Remington 5, Adrain 4, Howell 3, Dunn 2
3 Pointers ... 1/9 ... Howell 1
FT's ... 10/12
TOs ... 12
PnP ... 4fgs/8 points in the paint
Transition Buckets ... 2 fgs/ 4 points off of turnovers

... Coach Robertson's Tigers could not buy a basket from anywhere but "putback" range in the opening 2 quarters ... the strategy - which IS the Tiger "regular" MO - was on the court ... push the ball offensively, score in transition, attack the rim, get Sheridan back on their heels while pressuring the ball "everywhere" - in the locker room, at the concession stand, full court, 3/4 court, in the 1/2 court ... you get my point ... MY mo for Sheridan was they couldn't handle on ball pressure - you can turn them over ... IT WORKED .. the Tiger pressure turned the Generals over 8 times in the first half of action ! but unfortunately the Tigers were up to the task on their end - as apparently the phrase was "hold my adult beverage" as the Tigers turned the ball over 12 times in the first half on their own ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - First Half - Sheridan ...

Scoring (37) ...Heileman 8, Heller 7, Hill 6, Russell 6, Bennett 6, Emmert 4
3 Pointers ... 3/5 ... Bennett 2,Hellar 1
FTs ... 10/10
TOs ... 8
PnP ... 3fgs/6pts
Transition Buckets ... 2 fgs/ 4 points in transition

... the first half was all Generals ... they got their rotation on the floor - 9 players / 6 scored the ball ... the perimeter scoring showed up as SHS went 3/5 from downtown ... the size vs quickness matchup was evident as well - the Generals had 7 fgs in the paint with 4 offensive boards resulting in putback buckets ... the size advanage put Sheridan on the line going 10/10 from the FT line ... ALL was perfect in quarters 1 & 2 - a 37-21 advantage on the scoreboard ... the weapons were loaded and firing from all chambers ... the defense held Waverly to 1 fg in the 2nd quarter ! game over !... BUT (and there is ALWAYS a but) a closer look at the napkin stats barred out the pregame scouting report - pressure IS a problem for Sheridan on the perimeter and the other napkin stat that you have to go between the lines to find beyond the TOs is the "cause" of those turnovers - a scrappy, no quit, we were down by 20 points a week ago vs Jackson Waverly Tiger squad with nothing to lose and everything to win including a district semi ...

Sheridan 37
Waverly 21 at intermission

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...talk about a role reversal ! the 3rd quarter STARTED with an "oh no" as Waverly turned the ball over on its' first 2 possessions ... AND due to the fact that Coach Robertson and his staff BELIEVED in their game plan - yes the same one that had them down 16 points with 16 minutes to play - there was no panic in the Tigers - obviously there was a "NEED, URGENCY" to cut into the General lead . get down under 10 by the end of the quarter type of thinking BUT there was no panic - Sheridan could STILL be turned over on the perimeter, they don't handle pressure well, when the game tempo speeds up THEY too speed up their preferred "workman like pace" taking quick shots, not looking to their strength in this game - the bigs in the paint ... to say the third quarter was all Tigers would be a disservice to what the Tigers did in the quarter : turned the Generals over 8 times / 2 transition buckets, held Sheridan to 2 fgs only 1 fg in the paint, held SHS to 7 points as a team, they pushed the ball on every possession, attacked the rim which opened up the perimeter shots (2 triples in the quarter) - the Tigers finally LOOKED comfortable as they TOOK control at both ends of the floor - they had the Generals in full retreat ...Ethan Adrain led the charge putting up 9 points in the 3rd , Clayton Howell added a triple, Cody Remington took it to the hole where he ended up at the FT line for 4/4 in the 3rd ... at the 5:48 mark of the 3rd Sheridan led 37-27 (1st goal accomplished out of half time - get the margin down to 10 pts) ... in the next 5 + minutes the Tigers decided GETTING to 10 wasn't good enough, the Generals were missing shots, weren't getting the ball inside - they were on the run ... the Tigers outscored SHS 17-7 the rest of the quarter ... 44-44 end of 3 ... game on !!! ... the quarter break did nothing to stop the Tiger onslaught as the Tigers forced an SHS timeout with a 6-0 run to start the final period - game over for real ... too much Tiger quickness , 4 more General turnovers to NO Waverly turnovers in the 4th period meant that the Tigers didn't GIVE anything back , the heart and soul for the Generals Ethan Heller picked up his 5th foul ... 12 points in the 4th by Clayton Howell ... 11/18 shooting from the FT line ... the Tigers more than Survived and Advanced ... Waverly 71 Sheridan 60 a final

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Sheridan ...

Scoring ...Ethan Heller 13, Grant Heileman 13, Landen Russell 8, Dylan Emmert 6, Luken Hill 6, Grey Bennett 6, Clayton Radabaugh 4, Amere Royster 3

3 Pointers ... 4/14 ... Grey Bennett 2, Grant Heileman 1, Ethan Heller 1
FTs ... 18/20
TOs ... 20 ... 12 in the second half !
Pnp ... 13 fgs/26 points in the paint
Transition buckets ... 2 fgs/ 4 points off of turnovers
Putback buckets : 4 fgs/8 points on offensive boards NONE in the 2nd half ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Waverly ...

Scoring ... Easton Wolfe 21, Clayton Howell 19, Cody Remington 14, Ethan Adrain 14, Cobe Marquez 4, Ethan Dunn 2
3 Pointers ... 5/16 ... Clayton Howell 3, Ethan Adrain 1, Easton Wolfe 1
FTs ... 28/38
TOs ... 18
PnP ...13 fgs/26 points in the paint
Transition buckets ... 4 fgs/ 8 points in transition

... wish I would have seen the Tigers earlier in the year ! Waverly would have definitely been higher up the rankings ... the "organized" Chaos they bring to the court ? wow - 32 minutes of pressure, the players to make it difficult for the opponent to control the tempo ... a team of runs - last night the run for the entire 2nd half a 50 - 23 blitz ... congratulations to the Tigers & Coach Robertson ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Waverly had their scare...they will do what they did to Sheridan last year. Robertson will flourish at the Convo

Waverly 59
Sheridan 55

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Going to be a tough game for both sides, contrast in playing styles, along with Waverly winning on a buzzer beater to get to this game hopefully they can pull through with a win

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

This is exactly the match Waverly wanted. Waverly has everything going for them and Sheridan has last year’s debacle in their minds. Waverly’s guards will dominate and wear down Heller forcing bad decisions. This is the only div 2 semifinal outcome I’m sure of

Waverly 65
Sheridan 56

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Is Heileman healthy? Saw where someone said he returned from injury yesterday but wasn't himself. Just curious what the injury was or if he will be back to 100% come Friday.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

MasterOfNone wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:52 pm Is Heileman healthy? Saw where someone said he returned from injury yesterday but wasn't himself. Just curious what the injury was or if he will be back to 100% come Friday.
... the big man for Sheridan IS back - played the entire game vs Circleville put up 11 points - all in the 2nd half ... an ankle injury ... seemed fine yesterday - as the game progressed he settle into the post more AND Sheridan began to find him - which in my mind is an important point to make - Sheridan had to play 4-5 games without Heilemann in the post ... they started relying I'm sure on their #1 option Ethan Heller - who can put up 30 points any given night - he's one of the best perimeter shooters around, a lefty who can take you off the dribble - in Heilemann's absence I'm sure SHS went to their bread and butter - Ethan Heller ... now with Heilemann back in the post - the team has to adjust getting him involved in the offense again ... the more he practices/trusts that the ankle is fine the more involved down low he will be ... Sheridan has a legit inside/outside game with Heller/Heilemann add to the mix Landen Russell who looks like HE took on more of the offensive role when Heilemann was injured as well - he had 12 points vs C'ville - strong sophomore player ... Heilemann is fine , did fine in the post - had 2-3 blocks in the paint ...

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Sheridan wins the rematch

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Like to see Waverly advance, but I'm afraid Sheridan will learn from last years pressure waverly applied and adjust accordingly. After that I'm afraid Waverly just won't be able to handle the big men for Sheridan. Hoping for another Waverly upset but Heller and Heilemann I think will be just to much. Good luck to both teams

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Knowing that Waverly is going to play that helter skelter pressing defense is one thing, being able to handle it is another. If the Tigers can shoot a fair percentage from the outside, plus make 75% of there foul shots, I think they have a good chance to be there right to the end.

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

Waverly by 14

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I can’t imagine that Sheridan won’t be better prepared this year lol

Forcing Waverly into a half court game is easier said than done, but if Sheridan can do that, like they did for a half last year, then they’ll have a good shot.

I’ll still take Waverly, but it’ll be a really good game

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

Looking forward to this matchup. Don’t know much about Sheridan but if Robertson gets going it could be a long night for the Generals. Anything can happen at the Convo. Good luck to the Tigers

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:53 pm Knowing that Waverly is going to play that helter skelter pressing defense is one thing, being able to handle it is another. If the Tigers can shoot a fair percentage from the outside, plus make 75% of there foul shots, I think they have a good chance to be there right to the end.
You are correct but last year Sheridan hadn't seen it or dealt with it before. You sunk waverly already though because I hate to say it but I don't know if they've shot 75% from the line in a single game this year. That has been one constant that has really hurt them is the inability to hit from the line and it's not just them it seems like I watch a lot of high school teams that really struggle from the line, there's nights where if a team can hit 60% they're doing good. Had McClain hit 60% Waverly wouldn't be in this position. I wish them the best of luck and I hope they can advance, won't be able to take in the Sheridan game hopefully I'll be able to catch the next with some luck.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Sheridan is really good. I’m sure Waverly is really good. The game should come down to last couple minutes. Good luck to both.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

greygoose wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:41 pm
VetteMan wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:53 pm Knowing that Waverly is going to play that helter skelter pressing defense is one thing, being able to handle it is another. If the Tigers can shoot a fair percentage from the outside, plus make 75% of there foul shots, I think they have a good chance to be there right to the end.
You are correct but last year Sheridan hadn't seen it or dealt with it before. You sunk waverly already though because I hate to say it but I don't know if they've shot 75% from the line in a single game this year. That has been one constant that has really hurt them is the inability to hit from the line and it's not just them it seems like I watch a lot of high school teams that really struggle from the line, there's nights where if a team can hit 60% they're doing good. Had McClain hit 60% Waverly wouldn't be in this position. I wish them the best of luck and I hope they can advance, won't be able to take in the Sheridan game hopefully I'll be able to catch the next with some luck.
You are probably right, 75% may be a stretch, I can always hope though.

WHS2000grad
Riding the Bench

Post by WHS2000grad »

This is going to sound like a broken record from past threads, but I think it depends which Waverly team shows up, If the team that beat Athens, Jackson and Oak Hill twice shows up Waverly will advance.
If the team that played vs. SW the first time or at Minford or against 'Burg shows up our season will be over.

Waverly has seemed to be shooting better as of late. If we can have Robertson, Marquez, and Remmingion all shooting well it will be hard to knock us off.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:41 pm
I think 12/15 against Jackson

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

WHS2000grad wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:39 am This is going to sound like a broken record from past threads, but I think it depends which Waverly team shows up, If the team that beat Athens, Jackson and Oak Hill twice shows up Waverly will advance.
If the team that played vs. SW the first time or at Minford or against 'Burg shows up our season will be over.

Waverly has seemed to be shooting better as of late. If we can have Robertson, Marquez, and Remmingion all shooting well it will be hard to knock us off.
I think they’ll have to play better than Athens game to beat Sheridan

Return to “Boys Basketball”