Athens 43 Logan Elm 40 OT ... a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Athens 43 Logan Elm 40 OT ... a final

Post by pfloyd »

Athens 43
Logan Elm 40 OT a final

Can't play a game much closer than this one ... as the Bulldogs of Athens punched their ticket to the Convo and Basketball Thirty in A'town beating a very game Logan Elm Braves squad 43-40 in overtime ... Athens coming into to this one had the decided size, length, upperclassmen advantage over the sophomore heavy Braves ... on paper in the pre game Athens needed to be able to take care of the ball (keeping their TOs in the 15 or less range) while being able to go to their strength - Hynes/Chubb/Butcher in the paint ... while Logan Elm without any size had to play toe to toe in the paint, while turning the Bulldogs over in the 20 TO range while offensively being able to score from the perimeter AND in my mind I felt LE need to score in transition - in the neighborhood of 4+ fgs in transition ... obviously Athens got the win ... how did the Napkin Stats pan out vs the bullet points of what each team needed to do to get the W :

Logan Elm :

* Turned Athens over ONLY 13 times while turning the ball over 19 times themselves.
* Perimeter scoring from downtown ... 3/14
* Points in transition ... 3 fgs off of TOs/6 points in transition

Athens :

* Athens scored 13 fgs in the paint /26 points in the paint ... Hynes 12pts/Chubb 8pts/Butcher 4pts
* Turned the tables on LE turning the Braves over 19 times
* Points in transition ... 2 fgs off of TOs /4 points in transition

... biggest spread of the game was an Athens lead of 7 points in 3rd quarter that forced an LE timeout with 5:14 to play in the quarter ... the young Braves responded with a 7-0 run of their own with 2 transition buckets and an Isaac Ward triple to tie the score at 28-28 ...

The quarter breakdown:

Athens .... 15 ...21...31...39... 43
Logan Elm 13 ...19...30...39...40

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats ... Logan Elm

Scoring ... Gabe Chalfin 11, Jason Sailor 11, Isaac Ward 10, Jeremy Wietlemann 5, Luke Baldwin 2, Jared Harrington 1
3 Pointers ... 3/14 ... Isaac Ward 2, Jeremy Wietlemann 1
FTs ... 7/11
TOs ... 19
PnP ... 7 fgs/ 14 points in the paint
PnT ... 3 fgs/ 6 point in transition

... I have to give a shout out to Jason Sailor for LE - JS is maybe 5-8'ish but one of if not the strongest players for LE ... Sailor played an OUTSTANDING game defensively vs one of the most physical players for AHS Isaiah Butcher ... kept Athens from pounding the ball inside to Butcher, as JS battled every possession in the paint with the 6-4 280-300 pound Butcher ... held Butcher to 2 fgs (4pts) ... great job by the LE sophomore G/F/P ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Athens ...

Scoring ... Elijah Williams 13, Justin Hynes 12, Eli Chubb 8, Logan Maxfield 5, Isaiah Butcher 4, Brayden Markins 1
3 Pointers ... 1/9 ... Elijah Williams 1
FTs ... 10/23
TOs ... 13
PnP ... 13 fgs/26 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/4 points in transition

... Athens took care of "bidness" - survived and are advancing to the Convo ... carried there by senior PG Elijah Williams - talking to Coach Cozart before the game Williams did not practice all week due the ankle injury sustained vs Logan last Friday night/he did not play vs Jackson Saturday night ... excellent job handling the ball, penetrating , scoring ... great defensive effort as well for the Athens PG ... player of the game imo ... probably the main reason the Bulldogs were under the 15 spot for TOs on the game ... Athens now at 17-6 on the season ... a trip to Basketball Thirty ... nicely done Coach Cozart ...

VisionQuest
All State

Re: Athens 43 Logan Elm 40 OT ... a final

Post by VisionQuest »

Great Rundown!!! Athens 10 of 23 from the line OUCH!!! I think LE ran them so hard that they felt it at the line. Isn’t there a practice drill where you shoot foul shots when you are winded? Over and over. Hmmmm

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

In my mind, the play of the game was by Williams on defense when LE had the ball and the lead with about 30-40 sec left. He made a steal on the baseline that was unbelievable that he could make and not go out of bounds. On the resulting possession, Athens scored the FT that tied it, eventually going to OT.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

mhs95_06 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:17 am In my mind, the play of the game was by Williams on defense when LE had the ball and the lead with about 30-40 sec left. He made a steal on the baseline that was unbelievable that he could make and not go out of bounds. On the resulting possession, Athens scored the FT that tied it, eventually going to OT.
Williams was the difference maker tonight!! And to think he didn’t even practice all week. I like to wonder how that game vs Jackson would have turned out had he played. We will never know. I don’t think Williams came in until about 4 minutes and some change in the 1st tonight and He immediately made an impact.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Athens is going to knock Zane Trace and then Fairfield

Athens will make the regionals

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Good rundown and stats Pfloyd.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Ed Ott wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:29 am Athens is going to knock Zane Trace and then Fairfield

I was headed in to work today. Saw a truck bed. Emblazoned into the Diamond Plate was the word Hillsboro. A sign?!?? Guess we will know after tomorrow nights game between ZT and Hillsboro. The way these Sectionals are going and the way every team is playing their hearts out. I truly believe anything is possible. So exciting...

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Logan Elm has a great coach. Hats off to a fine program. Outstanding effort tonight

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Congrats to Athens on the win and good luck at the Convo.

Solid effort by Logan Elm tonight. Kids played hard. Just have to keep working and make that next step in 2020.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Anyone know what times Zane Trace and Hillsboro game is and what radio station might be streaming it?

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Allthewayup11 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:30 am Anyone know what times Zane Trace and Hillsboro game is and what radio station might be streaming it?
WKKJ 94.3 FM

Trevorstephens22
JV Team

Post by Trevorstephens22 »

bman wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:22 am
Allthewayup11 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:30 am Anyone know what times Zane Trace and Hillsboro game is and what radio station might be streaming it?
WKKJ 94.3 FM
7pm Southeastern HS

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

What a close game----good luck next week playing Zane Trace---might be best d2 in the area.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

vcgrad wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:52 am What a close game----good luck next week playing Zane Trace---might be best d2 in the area.
That’s all you can say? I think deep down you hate it that Athens won. Even though you claim you wanted TVC teams to win. That’s ok. Athens is going to the Convo baby and that’s all that matters. And by the way Hillsboro May have a little something to say about ZT making it to the Convo. Either way the Bulldogs will battle whoever they face, I guarantee that!

BUCKEYES
Freshman Team

Post by BUCKEYES »

Ed Ott wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:29 am Athens is going to knock Zane Trace and then Fairfield

I've seen both teams play and that would be the shock of the tournament for me. Zane Trace matches size with athens. Zane Trace can and will run the court which is a larger court. Zane Trace doesn't have very many weaknesses they really do play an all around game. Good Luck to both teams...but then again Zane Trace has to beat Hillsboro tonight to even play at the Convo....lol

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Congrats Athens on your victory over a good young Logan Elm team last night. Good luck at the Convo.

Return to “Boys Basketball”