The 24 year drought is over! 🏈🏆
Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Warren vs. Vinton County 2/22

Post by Dundas »

Warren-61
Vinton Co-55

Final

VC battles until the end. The game was mostly a 5-10 point warren lead all the way but VC didn’t quit. I’m extremely proud of our kids and coaching staff. Facing adversity all year and then meeting a team in the sectional final that just beat Chillicothe and lost to Logan by 2 (who beat VC by a ton), VC could’ve played dead. Easily. Great job by the underdogs. You made warren earn it.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

VC played tough but ran out of gas at the end.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Dundas wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:24 pm Warren-61
Vinton Co-55

Final

VC battles until the end. The game was mostly a 5-10 point warren lead all the way but VC didn’t quit. I’m extremely proud of our kids and coaching staff. Facing adversity all year and then meeting a team in the sectional final that just beat Chillicothe and lost to Logan by 2 (who beat VC by a ton), VC could’ve played dead. Easily. Great job by the underdogs. You made warren earn it.
... Dundas THAT'S the VC I THOUGHT I would see ALL season ! ... before I post the Napkin Stats I have to take my hat off to Coach Combs - Coach "coached the heck outta this game courtside" tonight !!! outstanding job by Coach Combs - not that I expected anything less - Coach Combs is simply outstanding - great game plan, well executed by the Vikings players - everyone of them ! this was as Dundas pointed out Warren's game to win or lose (on paper) ... VC kept it close - anywhere from 3-10 points throughout ... THAT margin KEPT the thought of "we can win this thing" in the VC players minds ... this one was a 5-6 point/2 possession game right down to the the :14 sec mark ... a Seth Dennis steal stopped any chance of VC getting closer ... fun to watch both coaches in this one !!!

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Vinton County

Scoring ...Gavin Arbaugh 18, Eli Griffith 16, Will Arthur 11, Ash Abele 6, Lance Montgomery 2, Trafford Dunn 2
3 Pointers ... 3/18 ... Ash Abele 2, Gavin Arbaugh 1
FT's ... 22/30
TOs ... 18
PnP ... 11 fg/22 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/4 points in transition

... outstanding effort by the Vikings ... I don't keep the rebounding numbers but VC had to have won the battle on the boards ... great effort, execution of Coach Combs' game plan in this one by the VC TEAM ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren

Scoring ... Seth Dennis 16, Austin Barta 13, Noah Nichols 11, Brandon Simonette 8, Clay Miller 7, Dylan Place 4, Bryce Knost 2
3 Pointers ... 6/15 ... Noah Nichols 3, Brandon Simonette 2, Austin Barta 1
FTs ... 11/15
TOs ... 13
PnP ..... 16fgs/32 points in the paint
PnT ... 7fgs/14 points in transition

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Shot more threes and still had 15 more free throws attempted? Sounds like JamesHarden

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Ed Ott wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:31 am Shot more threes and still had 15 more free throws attempted? Sounds like JamesHarden
😂😂😂😂😂😂

E High
All State

Re: Warren vs. Vinton County 2/22th

Post by E High »

Good win for Warren. Not surprised VC played them tough. 2 outstanding programs

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Great effort last night by VC--shows that you can be in any game if your kids believe. We will be back!!!!!!

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

As a life-long Viking fan, alumnus, and current coach for Vinton County, I could not be prouder. All week, great friends, friends that I hold in high regard, were very doubtful of our chances, (I guess they were right after all), but all I heard they beat Chillicothe, beat Athens by 15, lost to Logan by 2, how were we going to compete? Sometimes, it is all about match-ups. It is being prepared, building belief, and having the right game plan.

As far as this game, it really came down to two moments; first, there were a two, two and half minute stretch, after the four minute mark in the first quarter, that we were unable to stop the basketball in transition, that allowed Warren to get out to an 8 point lead. Next, at the end of the third, when Dennis fell with the ball in the closing seconds, (should have been a foul or a travel), was able to kick the ball out for an open three, causing us to lose that quarter by one. We had this game to a one point game, 31-32, but could never get over the hump, I felt like if we could have, we would have won, but give Warren credit, they made the plays they needed. Good luck to them moving forward.

I am going to say this, and he may be mad at me, but I am extremely proud of Coach Combs. Despite the double-digit losses, 11, (his first in 18 years), he coached his butt off all year. He prepared, he plan, he grinded, he got the most he could out of this year. Sometimes, you don't truly appreciate it until see it, and granted, we have been spoiled for the past couple of years, but in my opinion this has been Coach Combs' best coaching season. It is funny, as we were walking out, I turned to him and said "Great job." At that moment I am sure that he didn't want to hear it, but he needed to, he needed to know that people notice and our coaches are more than their win/loss record. But because of this year, I am looking forward to the grind of next year. We will be back.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Way to represent the TVC Vikes. People put down Athens cause we lost by one down at your place. These teams are better than their record indicates and well coached.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:44 am As a life-long Viking fan, alumnus, and current coach for Vinton County, I could not be prouder. All week, great friends, friends that I hold in high regard, were very doubtful of our chances, (I guess they were right after all), but all I heard they beat Chillicothe, beat Athens by 15, lost to Logan by 2, how were we going to compete? Sometimes, it is all about match-ups. It is being prepared, building belief, and having the right game plan.

As far as this game, it really came down to two moments; first, there were a two, two and half minute stretch, after the four minute mark in the first quarter, that we were unable to stop the basketball in transition, that allowed Warren to get out to an 8 point lead. Next, at the end of the third, when Dennis fell with the ball in the closing seconds, (should have been a foul or a travel), was able to kick the ball out for an open three, causing us to lose that quarter by one. We had this game to a one point game, 31-32, but could never get over the hump, I felt like if we could have, we would have won, but give Warren credit, they made the plays they needed. Good luck to them moving forward.

I am going to say this, and he may be mad at me, but I am extremely proud of Coach Combs. Despite the double-digit losses, 11, (his first in 18 years), he coached his butt off all year. He prepared, he plan, he grinded, he got the most he could out of this year. Sometimes, you don't truly appreciate it until see it, and granted, we have been spoiled for the past couple of years, but in my opinion this has been Coach Combs' best coaching season. It is funny, as we were walking out, I turned to him and said "Great job." At that moment I am sure that he didn't want to hear it, but he needed to, he needed to know that people notice and our coaches are more than their win/loss record. But because of this year, I am looking forward to the grind of next year. We will be back.
Well said Hawkeye ... I totally agree, EVERY TIME I have seen Coach Combs courtside this season he has coached the heck out of the game - LAST NIGHT as I posted in my summary on the 1st page - simply outstanding !!! the kids WERE ready, the kids DID execute , Coach DID coach! - I was smiling the whole game watching the back and forth - strategies by both sides ... nothing better than 2 outstanding coaches going back and forth as their troops execute on the court ... as you said Hawkeye it came down to those 2 spots in the game ... I was sitting in the cheap seats with the VC video person - it was Warren 32 VC 31 - told him"I feel it right here , VC as the momentum, they get the lead this is their's to win" ... the shot didn't fall, BUT it seemed they were always IN reach, but as good TEAMS do Warren kept them at arms length all night - but the arms were getting tired LOL ... I stayed courtside after the game, thought I might be able to shake Coach Combs' hand & that of his staff ... I did get to tell Will Arthur and Ash Abele what a great game they played last night as they came out first heading to the food court ... Arthur was excellent, his first step getting by the defender, into the paint, finishing in the tall timbers - great game by the junior guard for VC ...
Dundas wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:24 pm Warren-61
Vinton Co-55

Final

... Dundas THAT'S the VC I THOUGHT I would see ALL season ! ... before I post the Napkin Stats I have to take my hat off to Coach Combs - Coach "coached the heck outta this game courtside" tonight !!! outstanding job by Coach Combs - not that I expected anything less - Coach Combs is simply outstanding - great game plan, well executed by the Vikings players - everyone of them ! this was as Dundas pointed out Warren's game to win or lose (on paper) ... VC kept it close - anywhere from 3-10 points throughout ... THAT margin KEPT the thought of "we can win this thing" in the VC players minds ... this one was a 5-6 point/2 possession game right down to the the :14 sec mark ... a Seth Dennis steal stopped any chance of VC getting closer ... fun to watch both coaches in this one !!!

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Vinton County

Scoring ...Gavin Arbaugh 18, Eli Griffith 16, Will Arthur 11, Ash Abele 6, Lance Montgomery 2, Trafford Dunn 2
3 Pointers ... 3/18 ... Ash Abele 2, Gavin Arbaugh 1
FT's ... 22/30
TOs ... 18
PnP ... 11 fg/22 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/4 points in transition

... outstanding effort by the Vikings ... I don't keep the rebounding numbers but VC had to have won the battle on the boards ... great effort, execution of Coach Combs' game plan in this one by the VC TEAM ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren

Scoring ... Seth Dennis 16, Austin Barta 13, Noah Nichols 11, Brandon Simonette 8, Clay Miller 7, Dylan Place 4, Bryce Knost 2
3 Pointers ... 6/15 ... Noah Nichols 3, Brandon Simonette 2, Austin Barta 1
FTs ... 11/15
TOs ... 13
PnP ..... 16fgs/32 points in the paint
PnT ... 7fgs/14 points in transition

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Congrats Vinton County on a great effort against Warren last night. I didn't think it would be this close, you certainly proved me wrong.

Return to “Boys Basketball”