Sectional Final: #1 Wheelersburg vs #9 Meigs @ Jackson, 2/22

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Re: Sectional Final: #1 Wheelersburg vs #9 Meigs @ Jackson, 2/22

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

Meigsican wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:00 pm If Meigs hits half their shots they win by 20. Burg most overrated team I’ve seen. If they played Meigs schedule they have 6 losses.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Burg took twice as many shots as Meigs and don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure Meigs had more turnovers than shot attempts in the first half. Meigs had a good game plan to slow it down but Burg couldn't have hit sand tonight falling off of a camel! Maybe it was the week layoff Burg had who knows but they played horrible offense tonight but the defense was excellent Meigs only had 2 players score that's good defense! So burg would beat Meigs 10 out of 10 games. But I will give Meigs credit for playing hard and were well coached

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

Bosshog wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:35 pm #2 in state? Underrated if you ask me? From the sound of the radio Meigs had Burg!
#3 in the state and why is Meigs fans saying Burg is over rated ? So what are you trying to say that your team is no good? Lol !

Bosshog
Waterboy

Post by Bosshog »

Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:44 pm
Meigsican wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:00 pm If Meigs hits half their shots they win by 20. Burg most overrated team I’ve seen. If they played Meigs schedule they have 6 losses.
Burg took twice as many shots as Meigs and don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure Meigs had more turnovers than shot attempts in the first half. Meigs had a good game plan to slow it down but Burg couldn't have hit sand tonight falling off of a camel! Maybe it was the week layoff Burg had who knows but they played horrible offense tonight but the defense was excellent Meigs only had 2 players score that's good defense! So burg would beat Meigs 10 out of 10 games. But I will give Meigs credit for playing hard and were well coached
Sounds like you are making excuses for Burg and low scoring! I think Burg was a little surprised by Meigs! Wasn’t the blowout you exspedted expected.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Meigs had a great game plan. Stall and take good shots. Then make Burg take a contested shot and box out so there’s no second shot.

But anyone that says burg is overrated is making themselves sound foolish. They haven’t lost a game and are moving on. Until someone beats them, you’re going to sound stupid saying such things. Meigs was held to 28 points because of burgs defense not because they shot poorly. Trust me. I was there.

Bobbbbbb
Freshman Team

Post by Bobbbbbb »

Sounds like Meigsican & Bosshog are sore losers! Maybe you two can get your baseball gloves out and toss a little! Baseball season in your neck of the woods!😜

ballplayer1992
Freshman Team

Post by ballplayer1992 »

Bosshog wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:54 pm
Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:44 pm
Sounds like you are making excuses for Burg and low scoring! I think Burg was a little surprised by Meigs! Wasn’t the blowout you exspedted expected.
He actually seems to be complimenting Meigs by crediting them with having a good coaching staff and athletes that play with a lot of effort and passion? Normally the winning team does not make excuses for why they prevailed in the contest. The bottom line is that Wheelersburg is simply a better basketball team than Meigs. The Pirates had their worst shooting performance of the entire season and they still won. Congratulations to Meigs for providing some excitement early in the tournament and hitting Wheelersburg with a hard punch on the chin. Wheelersburg took that punch, stood tall, and came out victorious. The Pirate Ship is now setting sail to The Convo!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Bosshog wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:35 pm #2 in state? Underrated if you ask me? From the sound of the radio Meigs had Burg!

I agree. We Burg fans think they are underrated as well! SMDH!!

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I don’t have a dog in this fight came to this game because I wanted to see burg play. You have a great team and a off shooting night. I will give you that. You didn’t fall behind in first quarter by 12-1 because of poor shooting. In the first quarter I had Meigs out rebounding wheelersburg 11-2 and Meigs got to every 50-50 ball and loose ball and in 1st quarter you had more turnovers then Meigs.

I don’t know why you didn’t extend defense and 1st quarter and go after them like you did in second quarter and rest of game.

Meigs had over double the fouls that burg had. I thought they did a pretty good job letting kids play. But if you don’t think the Meigs kids were getting killed and hacked by wheelersburg just as bad as you were your not being honest with yourself.

If Meigs would of not spent an entire quarter afraid of holden it might of been interesting how it would of turned out. I am sure wheelersburg would of won either way.

All you guys talking about Meigs slowing game down wheelersburg had plenty of possessions they ran clock to shorten game.

Wheelersburg a great team. Deserved win Meigs gave it there best shot

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

svac83 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:19 pm I don’t have a dog in this fight came to this game because I wanted to see burg play. You have a great team and a off shooting night. I will give you that. You didn’t fall behind in first quarter by 12-1 because of poor shooting. In the first quarter I had Meigs out rebounding wheelersburg 11-2 and Meigs got to every 50-50 ball and loose ball and in 1st quarter you had more turnovers then Meigs.

I don’t know why you didn’t extend defense and 1st quarter and go after them like you did in second quarter and rest of game.

Meigs had over double the fouls that burg had. I thought they did a pretty good job letting kids play. But if you don’t think the Meigs kids were getting killed and hacked by wheelersburg just as bad as you were your not being honest with yourself.

If Meigs would of not spent an entire quarter afraid of holden it might of been interesting how it would of turned out. I am sure wheelersburg would of won either way.

All you guys talking about Meigs slowing game down wheelersburg had plenty of possessions they ran clock to shorten game.

Good summary

Cliff notes

Burg played uninspired.
Both teams fouled a lot but the officials let them.
Burg shot poorly
Meigs hustled

Burg won

ballplayer1992
Freshman Team

Post by ballplayer1992 »

svac83 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:19 pm I don’t have a dog in this fight came to this game because I wanted to see burg play. You have a great team and a off shooting night. I will give you that. You didn’t fall behind in first quarter by 12-1 because of poor shooting. In the first quarter I had Meigs out rebounding wheelersburg 11-2 and Meigs got to every 50-50 ball and loose ball and in 1st quarter you had more turnovers then Meigs.

So are you saying that all 11 rebounds Meigs had in the 1st quarter were offensive? That would obviously have to be the case if Wheelersburg did not shoot poorly, but was being outrebounded that severely.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Burg didn’t fall behind 12-1 because of poor shooting?? *scratches head*. Burg missed plenty of wide open 3’s they have hit all year. Had nothing to do with defense, they were wide open shots.

Not sure what quarter you thought they were afraid of Holden. Still curious as to why Holden didn’t even take a shot in the 3rd qtr.

Sure Burg slowed the game down after they got a 3-5 point lead in the 4th qtr. You do that when your offense just isn’t getting it done. Burg held the ball Meigs had to foul and Burg hit the FT’s.

No one is taking anything away from Meigs at all. The had a great game plan that they executed perfectly but they only had two players score. Hard to win games like that.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

ballplayer1992 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:25 pm

So are you saying that all 11 rebounds Meigs had in the 1st quarter were offensive? That would obviously have to be the case if Wheelersburg did not shoot poorly, but was being outrebounded that severely.
What I am saying to you is it was crowded and I didn’t take as good as notes as usual. But I had burg with zero second shots in first quarter. I am not saying that is right I am saying that is what I had. In the first quarter there were a lot of shots not rebounded on either end. The ball went out of bounce and defense got the ball.

Officially I don’t know how you stay that. If no one comes up with ball after a shot. I don’t reward a rebound or a turnover.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

svac83 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:39 pm
ballplayer1992 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:25 pm

What I am saying to you is it was crowded and I didn’t take as good as notes as usual. But I had burg with zero second shots in first quarter. I am not saying that is right I am saying that is what I had. In the first quarter there were a lot of shots not rebounded on either end. The ball went out of bounce and defense got the ball.

Officially I don’t know how you stay that. If no one comes up with ball after a shot. I don’t reward a rebound or a turnover.
It used to be if the ball hit the floor after a missed shot it was considered a team rebound.

Burg has not been a strong offensive rebounding team all year. Reason being is they usually don’t miss that many wide open shots.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:57 pm Weston Baer may get his points, but overall I'm not sure that Meigs has enough talent to be able to compete with the Burg. If they put Holden down low, from what I've seen he will have a field day. Being that the Burg hasn't played in a few days, it might be close early on, then the Burg will pull away. I may be completely wrong and it may be a good ballgame, I really hope that it is.
I will say that I was completely wrong in what I thought was going to happen, and I'm sure it won't be the last time. Guys, that's why they lace-um up and go play the game, it doesn't always turn out the way we're sure that it will.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Like I said I haven’t seen your team play until tonight. I agree if we look at whole first half I would agree with totally poor shooting and all. What I think is the difference is I a normal game you come out and miss your first four shots. You go on a little roll and hit 6 of 9 to end quarter and you score 14 or 15 points.

When you only shoot it 6 or 7 times an entire quarter and in first quarter you really only had maybe 2 wide open looks. It seems much worse.

In the second quarter after holden deflected 2 shots and had the big block. You didn’t see the kids shoot the ball straight up invair and not come within 4 feet of basket.

Or getting passes inside but could not catch them because they were trying to find holden. I set on the burg side. It was burg fans who pointed it out to me and I started noticing.

Either way. From what I have saw on tape andcwgat I saw tonight obviously you have a great team and a great season hope to catch another one of your games at convo.

I just think that in first quarter Meigs just outplayed you in every facet of the game. It wasn’t just because you couldn’t make a shot. You didn’t shoot a high percentage in second but your defense got tougher. Your boys hustled more for loose balls and you rebounded better. Because in second quarter the only real difference offensively was holden drove to the bucket a few times.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

svac83 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:08 am Like I said I haven’t seen your team play until tonight. I agree if we look at whole first half I would agree with totally poor shooting and all. What I think is the difference is I a normal game you come out and miss your first four shots. You go on a little roll and hit 6 of 9 to end quarter and you score 14 or 15 points.

When you only shoot it 6 or 7 times an entire quarter and in first quarter you really only had maybe 2 wide open looks. It seems much worse.

In the second quarter after holden deflected 2 shots and had the big block. You didn’t see the kids shoot the ball straight up invair and not come within 4 feet of basket.

Or getting passes inside but could not catch them because they were trying to find holden. I set on the burg side. It was burg fans who pointed it out to me and I started noticing.

Either way. From what I have saw on tape andcwgat I saw tonight obviously you have a great team and a great season hope to catch another one of your games at convo.

I just think that in first quarter Meigs just outplayed you in every facet of the game. It wasn’t just because you couldn’t make a shot. You didn’t shoot a high percentage in second but your defense got tougher. Your boys hustled more for loose balls and you rebounded better. Because in second quarter the only real difference offensively was holden drove to the bucket a few times.
I wouldn’t say outplayed. I would go more with executed their game plan better than burg. Meigs still had some turnovers and contested shots by burg.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Potato ,pototo. I think we can mostly agree Meigs gameplan to slow it down. And their effort and burgs impatience and possibly taking Meigs lightly worked to a charm in the first period Love the all classy posts by svac83 in his explanation of what he saw and the rebuttal. Reading debates like that is why I come on here very refreshing from some of the other stuff. Bottom line is burg cannot shoot the ball like that thru the tourney and home to keep winning. I did like how thy really turned up the intensity defensively once they dug themselves into the hole. Going into the game their defense was at times suspect and imo am are they needed to improve. Great job by coach Ater and the staff to keep our kids heads in the game. Also kudos to Meigs. Great coaching job by their staff as well and their kids played hard the entire game

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I thought it was great game. And after the first quarter I kept being amazed that the score was so close because after first it seemed like burg dominated in all facets of game but it kept only being a 1 two or four point lead.

Not sure what games I will catch at the convo but hope to see burg again. Enjoyed the game and the people who sat around me from wheelersburg

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson is not a good shooter’s gym for a first time. Burg perimeter players have been excellent in the other games I have watched. Mullins didn’t score? I think he’s averaged 18 in the 2 other games I’ve seen. He and Salyers will hit shots at the Convo

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:57 pm Jackson is not a good shooter’s gym for a first time. Burg perimeter players have been excellent in the other games I have watched. Mullins didn’t score? I think he’s averaged 18 in the 2 other games I’ve seen. He and Salyers will hit shots at the Convo

This group has not shot well at Jackson over the last three years. SP knocked them out two years ago and they struggled shooting the ball last year there against Ironton in the sectional final.

Mullins did score 3 I think for the game, 1 FT and 1 FG late. Salyers couldn't throw it in the ocean. Burg averaging around 8-10 3 pointers made per game hit I think 2 last night.

Return to “Boys Basketball”