Gallia Academy VS Jackson sectional final saturday @3

svac83
SE

Re: Gallia Academy VS Jackson sectional final saturday @3

Post by svac83 »

Congratulations Ironman. I hope we get back on each other’s regular season schedule. You have a very nice team. And building a solid program

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

I want to start out by saying congratulations to Jackson and wishing them well at the Convo. I said this game would be a war and it was a war between 2 good teams with a lot of rough play and a lot of fouls. Both teams come out and played a little uptight to start the game. I thought Henry kid played a great game scoring 13 points in first half and 15 points for the game he also did a great job on Donaldson who finish with 12 points, but didn’t score , but 2 fields goals and 8 free throws and Henry wasn’t on him when he score the 2 field goals. I thought we went away from letting Henry and Blouir drive the ball the second half and try too Hard at trying to getting Call and McCelland going in second half. Free throws was the difference in this game Jackson was in double bonus for the entire 4th quarter and they made most of them. Great job by these seniors for a good year.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

1995 Ironmen at Convo
“I have a photo of the shirts we wore to Athens that year. You are correct
Jared Wolford Brad Howe Shane Shanton were a few of the players. “ - anonymous

CTE<allamericanironman

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

The biggest difference in this game was the quickness of the hands of the Jackson players. That really upset are rythum like no other team had all season.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Make one thing clear ! At the season start lose 3 games at max! A lot went wrong , But the move should have been done before or after the season ! Jmo! Can under stand D-1 but listen not always does it happen !
Last edited by Geronimo on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Poo Bear wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:46 pm Great Win Jackson ! On to the convo !

FAC !!!!!
I still struggle to put Jackson and "FAC" together in the same sentence since they were in that other league I followed for many decades but i'm working on it.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:18 am
Poo Bear wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:46 pm Great Win Jackson ! On to the convo !

FAC !!!!!
I still struggle to put Jackson and "FAC" together in the same sentence since they were in that other league I followed for many decades but i'm working on it.

Imagine old seoal conference right now

Logan
Warren
Athens
Gallia academy
Jackson
Marietta

That would be a brutal league night in night out

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Geronimo wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:50 pm Make one thing clear ! At the season start lose 3 games at max! A lot went wrong , But the move should have been done before or after the season ! Jmo! Can under stand D-1 but listen not always does it happen !
This is really not the thread for this but what was it about this team from the 2017-2018 season orcwgat happened over summer that made you think this team was going to be so good this year. In 2017-2018 they beat athens early. Justin peck single handily beat Jackson before he left team. They managed to split with ironton and with coal grove and got a tournament win against a so so Zane trace team.

You lost Evan wiseman and the Thomas kid. Who did you put on the roster that made you better then the 2 kids you lost? What improvements did they make in offseason that made anyone believe we would be so great.

They played a toughe schedule and was 5-3 with loveday here. Do you really think we are beating fairland twice. Ironton, warren, and coal grove all no sweat just because loveday was here?

I understand there were plenty of people talking a lot of hype. But if you look at my posts even in November I never believed we were going to be that much better.

Look I love watching these kids play. Butvwe haveca bunch of athletes not a bunch of great basketball players. I understand loveday was supposed to be great but if you watched this team play they were not equipped to play his game.

I am sure we will have a kid or two on all league team. But no one comes and plays this team and says man. Look at how good these guys are. I think if we have a honest vote. You would not put any Gallia player on even an all OVC team. And I have a feeling if you take all the teams SEOPS cover and you had people list the top 50 or 75 players in the area I am not sure you have blue devil on the list. Even if you go 75 deep. You might even be able to go 100 deep.

I think the future for program is bright. Bringing the program back to respectability has brought a few kids out for basketball players we have some kids in program now that are basketball players and we will see how they develop

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

svac83 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:33 pm
Geronimo wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:50 pm Make one thing clear ! At the season start lose 3 games at max! A lot went wrong , But the move should have been done before or after the season ! Jmo! Can under stand D-1 but listen not always does it happen !
This is really not the thread for this but what was it about this team from the 2017-2018 season orcwgat happened over summer that made you think this team was going to be so good this year. In 2017-2018 they beat athens early. Justin peck single handily beat Jackson before he left team. They managed to split with ironton and with coal grove and got a tournament win against a so so Zane trace team.

You lost Evan wiseman and the Thomas kid. Who did you put on the roster that made you better then the 2 kids you lost? What improvements did they make in offseason that made anyone believe we would be so great.

They played a toughe schedule and was 5-3 with loveday here. Do you really think we are beating fairland twice. Ironton, warren, and coal grove all no sweat just because loveday was here?

I understand there were plenty of people talking a lot of hype. But if you look at my posts even in November I never believed we were going to be that much better.

Look I love watching these kids play. Butvwe haveca bunch of athletes not a bunch of great basketball players. I understand loveday was supposed to be great but if you watched this team play they were not equipped to play his game.

I am sure we will have a kid or two on all league team. But no one comes and plays this team and says man. Look at how good these guys are. I think if we have a honest vote. You would not put any Gallia player on even an all OVC team. And I have a feeling if you take all the teams SEOPS cover and you had people list the top 50 or 75 players in the area I am not sure you have blue devil on the list. Even if you go 75 deep. You might even be able to go 100 deep.

I think the future for program is bright. Bringing the program back to respectability has brought a few kids out for basketball players we have some kids in program now that are basketball players and we will see how they develop
For you to say there is no basketball players on this team you don't know much about basketball at all. I know for a fact that all 5 of Gallia Academy Starters Played AAU ball for a few years and they have try outs for players to make these teams and go up against other Kids who are pretty talented and Call, McCelland, Carter, Blouir and Henry are all pretty good basketball Players and not only played on AAU teams but Started. Henry and Carter played together one year and Call and McCelland played together a couple of years and Blouir has played a couple years. Henry has Played AAU since 8th grade. These kids held their own against all the teams they played. Yes Loveday would have made a big difference with this team I believe they would have beat Fairland twice, Coal Grove twice, Ironton, Warren and yes Jackson. Kids do read these post for you to say these kids aint good enough to make OVC all League and aint in the top 100 in the area is just plain stupid and a disgrace to these kids.

bluefan1
Waterboy

Post by bluefan1 »

I don’t know how you follow this team so closely and not know their basketball history. To say there are no basketball players on this team is completely wrong. Justin McClelland and Cory Call have played AAU since 7th grade on a team they were hand selected for over several other players on teams from the area. Call played on a team last summer that travelled up and down the east coast, a team he had to try out for, a team he started for. Henry also played AAU since 7th grade. Blouir is the same. I have read your posts all year. You never give credit to these seniors... Call, Henry and Mccleland especially. Do I think one or all 3 will be OVC, they should be. Call had a few bad games but he and Henry are two of the top defenders in the OVC. These boys faced a set back when Loveday left them. But they rose above it. They are not only athletes but basketball players, and true leaders. It They will be missed by the Academy.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Ok I didn’t say there was no basketball players I said we are a team of athletes. And let me make a clarification on what I said about all OVC team. I did not mean what willcome out In a paper I am sure we will have kids on that. What meant by that is if I asked you who was best point gaurd in the league would he be a blue devil? How about shooting gaurd? Center? Small forward? Power forward? I am saying I don’t think any of them would be blue devils. Maybe they would but I think there would be another name

The next part is Pfloyd I think follows 72 teams. Ifvwe take all 72 teams. Do you think the blue devils has one of the 10 best point gaurds? Do you think we have one of the 10 best shooting gaurds? Small forwards? Power forwards? Or one of the 10 best centers. You might have a blue devil in there but I think if you asked everyone in the southeast to name 10 you would not have very many people put a blue devil in one of those sports.

If you don’t have a blue devil as one of the top 10 at one of those positions you don’t have a top 50 player.

You can still have a hell of a team if you have the 15th best point gaurd out of 72 and the 19 best shooting gaurd and the 12 best small forward. And the 21st best power forward. You would be a one heck of a team.

Don’t take me pointing out a fact as disrespecting a team or young men.

If you read my post and read what I was referring to I was defending these young men against unrealistic expectations. My statement was take the 2017/2018 team take wiseman and Thomas off of it. Who did you bring up off of JV that were that big of upgrade over those two boys? I say no one I do believe you replaced them with similar quality players. So you have basically same team as a year ago and made schedule harder. But people predicted such higher results and I just don’t see how you guys added 2+2 and came up with 5. I am just saying I would of been thrilled and thought we were better then last year if we won 17 games with this schedule.

People were calling our season as a disaster and a discount and I was explaining how it was anything but a disaster it was a tremendous success.

And this group of seniors have brought back dignity and respectability to the program. Because we sucked for quite awhile and had empty gyms and the program was a joke. These young men have brought back the tradition and left the program in a better place.

As far as Corey and Justin go. They both know that I think they are terrific young men and both think that me calling them athletes is a compliment. What both those boys also are. Is a quality you can’t teach they are winners and clutch and that will bode well for them.

As far as Caleb Henry goes besides to say hello to him how he is working his butt off in Holzer fitness center I don’t know the young man bad have no reason to believe he isn’t a fine young adult also. In the two years Henry has been a part of the program he had worked his butt off and turned himself into a pretty good “basketball “ player.

Much better then I ever thought he would be he is terrific defender I wish he would defend different but he proved how good he is Saturday afternoon. And has a nose for the basketball as good “basketball” players do.

I feel that this year of basketball was great I hope Blouir has a great off season and is ready to lead this team next year that I think will have several basketball players on it.

I will only touch on the AAU thing. And that is that there is way to many AAU teams and just because you start on a AAU team doesn’t make you a great basketball player.

There are plenty of kids out there that could play AAU and start but don’t because of family situations. I know there was a AAU team in our area almost begging for players in the last couple of years. So I am not impressed by the fact you played AAU.

The only other thing is I would like to say what I know or don’t know about history of players. I follow the Gallia academy blue devil sports. I don’t follow kids. After the season is over I will know nothing about this team until I show up at a practice or scrimmage in November.

The fall I follow football. In the spring in summer I work and play golf. I have better things to do then worry about what teenage boys are doing.

The only other comment I will make is on athletes and basketball players. If a team of athletes are athletic enough they can beat a team of basketball players. To me the difference between athletes and basketball players are many but can be defined in a few.

Most basketball players are good distributors of the basketball because they have court presence and no where there teammates are or should be. For the most part they don’t make any unforced turnovers. They make foul shots and they understand how to put there foot on opponents throats and close them out late in a game.

Athletes a lot of times have poor fundamentals because there athletes mallows them to not make smartest play and still over come it. They are not great distributors because they always think thy can make it too the hoop they rely on there athletic ability not fundamentals.

Now not all these things are true of all basketball players or athletes. Magic Johnson said he was a athlete not a basketball player until he was in college. When he was asked about his great high school career he said. Athletes can play great basketball earn scholarships win state championships. None of this things make you a basketball player. So if my definition of a basketball player and a athlete offends anywhere at least I explained what I meant.

I think some of you think me being a realistic supporter of the programm and school even though I haven’t had a kid in a sports program since these seniors were like 7th graders. And not over zealous Iike a parent or a crazy fan

I guess we will just disagree

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Your b-ball players and athletes is a different breed both are good but a true b-ball player can be seen !

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

Here's what ten CoachUp coaches have listed as their one quality, more than any other, that makes basketball players great.
Awareness. “Having a sense of awareness about the game. ...
Strong Mind. ...
Desire to Get Better. ...
Determination. ...
Passionate. ...
Mentally Tough. ...
Being Coachable. ...
Confidence I believe all of these kids had these traits that make up what a basketball player really is and yes we had some athletes on
this team, but deep down in side they were basketball players too!

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Seen a lot of players go and come Jmo Gil Price Jamie Lane ! And a under sized J Noe plus any player on the OZZ team that was on Cladwell & Tony Moore group would of had lunch ! D-1 is a hard hand to deal !

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

SEOAL74 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:38 pm Here's what ten CoachUp coaches have listed as their one quality, more than any other, that makes basketball players great.
Awareness. “Having a sense of awareness about the game. ...
Strong Mind. ...
Desire to Get Better. ...
Determination. ...
Passionate. ...
Mentally Tough. ...
Being Coachable. ...
Confidence I believe all of these kids had these traits that make up what a basketball player really is and yes we had some athletes on
this team, but deep down in side they were basketball players too!
If that is your definition of a basketball player I would think most of the kids on this team would be considered great basketball players. I have no problem with that. Just not what I was saying when I was differentiating between the two

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

JMO Peck was a better player than Loveday ! See peck sometimes acts like a good kid!

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Geronimo wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:35 pm JMO Peck was a better player than Loveday ! See peck sometimes acts like a good kid!
I agree peck was a better player. Don’t think he had a lot more upside potential. Loveday was a player people thought should take over a game. Peck took over games.

I would of loved to see how his senior season would of worked out if his heart was in it.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Home life JMO! Good kid! Down life road hope he wise up ! Just one high school career!

Return to “Boys Basketball”