SOC 1 vs. SOC 2

C4Three3
Waterboy

SOC 1 vs. SOC 2

Post by C4Three3 »

I personally believe that the SOC 1 was way more competitive in basketball than SOC 2! Anyone agree? We have great ball players from each level. I’m excited for the tournament. I believe we have some state potential here.

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: SOC 1 vs. SOC 2

Post by wobycat »

Are you saying overall they are better or just more competitive within the league?

Overall better- no way
Competitive - possible

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Soc1 Bottom 4. Symmes Valley, Clay, East And ND.

Top 4 —. I agree. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Eastern — Burg
Western — Waverly
New Boston — Oak Hill
Green — South Webster.

Those 4 games wouldn’t be bad.

But SOC1 is going 0-4 vs bottom 4 of SOC2 and West, Valley, Minford And Northwest haven’t had great seasons.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

I agree in recent years(2016-present) the SOC 2 and SOC 1 top 5 teams would be pretty competitive head to head, saying that though after this year and probably until the end of time SOC 2 would run the SOC 1. 2010-2015 the SOC 2 was much better than the SOC 1 there has just been a couple good groups that came through. Clay, Eastern, Western, Notre Dame, and East were all very good teams 2 years ago, and Eastern/Western have remained solid out of the teams listed. It has been a treat watching the SOC 1 have some talent come through just don't see it lasting.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Eastern and Burg would be a phenomenal game to watch.

Waverly > New Boston

Oak Hill > Western

South Webster and Green is a toss up. Green won by a basket a month or so ago, but my money would be on South Webster if they were to meet again.

The interesting conversation is taking the best players from each league for a 5 on 5 game. That would be a battle and there would be a ton of dunks with Blevins and Holden on the court

Watching SE Ohio basketball
3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

I know it was early in the year but Oak Hill won @ Eastern and were up as much as 14 points in the 4th quarter before Leist made everything in the final minutes

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

bobcats94 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:16 pm I agree in recent years(2016-present) the SOC 2 and SOC 1 top 5 teams would be pretty competitive head to head, saying that though after this year and probably until the end of time SOC 2 would run the SOC 1. 2010-2015 the SOC 2 was much better than the SOC 1 there has just been a couple good groups that came through. Clay, Eastern, Western, Notre Dame, and East were all very good teams 2 years ago, and Eastern/Western have remained solid out of the teams listed. It has been a treat watching the SOC 1 have some talent come through just don't see it lasting.
Agreed...hope SOC I can keep up the improved play from last couple of years, but I worry about the next few years. With Eastern moving up to SOC II, the league will for sure take a hit. St. Joe's (team replacing Eastern) record is good on paper, but they are probably a 4th-5th place team in SOC I.

New Boston will be the favorite the next 2 years with Sexton and Co. returning, and Western still looks decent as well, but after that, the rest of the league looks down (Green will have a drop off, East and Clay still look rough, and ND will be playing multiple freshmen next year). I look at SOC I junior high teams, and it was pretty weak basketball this year (Notre Dame 8 was undefeated and Symmes Valley 8 was decent, but not much behind them). You can even go down to the 5-6 grade level and see a huge talent disparity between the SOC II schools and the SOC I schools. Like bobcats94 said, I don't know when, if ever, this will be an argument again.*

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:33 am Eastern and Burg would be a phenomenal game to watch.

Waverly > New Boston

Oak Hill > Western

South Webster and Green is a toss up. Green won by a basket a month or so ago, but my money would be on South Webster if they were to meet again.

The interesting conversation is taking the best players from each league for a 5 on 5 game. That would be a battle and there would be a ton of dunks with Blevins and Holden on the court
I wish they would have an all star game of 1 v/s 2 now that would be awesome game to watch

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:32 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:33 am Eastern and Burg would be a phenomenal game to watch.

Waverly > New Boston

Oak Hill > Western

I wish they would have an all star game of 1 v/s 2 now that would be awesome game to watch
They do, but it's only Seniors.

Both sides have multiple talented Seniors so it will be a very good game to watch. But, there's some good underclassmen I wish would be involved as well.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:34 am
Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:32 am

Waverly > New Boston

Oak Hill > Western

They do, but it's only Seniors.

Both sides have multiple talented Seniors so it will be a very good game to watch. But, there's some good underclassmen I wish would be involved as well.
my soc 2 starting 5, if all players could play, would be Darby, Truitt, Holden, Blevins, and Hammond. Going big on em. Maybe throw in some guard play with Mullins, Robertson, Marquez, and even another forward in Bockway.

Don't know a whole lot about SOC1 but I'm assuming Leist, Miller, Sexton, Caldwell, and Kimbler would be candidates. idk anybody from western lol, please feel free to give me some players to watch during the tournament.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Brewster from Western would be on your SOC 1 team u would think. Great player.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I'd go with

SOC 2

PG - Remington
SG - Mullins
SF - Holden
PF - Blevins
C - Darby

SOC 1

PG - Leist
SG - Brewster
SF - Kimbler
PF - Miller
C - Sexton

What an awesome game that would be.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Soc 2 would dominate if Holden and Blevins really tried hard. Don’t know how hard they play in these types of games. Add in Remington and that SOC 2 group is way more athletic!

southpaw
Waterboy

Post by southpaw »

Would be a great matchup! I would personally take the SOC 1 in this one though. I think it has already been proven that Leist and Brewster both can hold their own against a few SOC 2 schools, you add the size and strength of Miller with Sexton and Kimbler shooting, the SOC 2 would get handed their lunch if they didn't try hard, and would be a good competitive game, if of course they did try. And I have to believe that they would try, it kills them to get beat by "little brother".

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:19 am
bobcats94 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:16 pm I agree in recent years(2016-present) the SOC 2 and SOC 1 top 5 teams would be pretty competitive head to head, saying that though after this year and probably until the end of time SOC 2 would run the SOC 1. 2010-2015 the SOC 2 was much better than the SOC 1 there has just been a couple good groups that came through. Clay, Eastern, Western, Notre Dame, and East were all very good teams 2 years ago, and Eastern/Western have remained solid out of the teams listed. It has been a treat watching the SOC 1 have some talent come through just don't see it lasting.
Agreed...hope SOC I can keep up the improved play from last couple of years, but I worry about the next few years. With Eastern moving up to SOC II, the league will for sure take a hit. St. Joe's (team replacing Eastern) record is good on paper, but they are probably a 4th-5th place team in SOC I.

New Boston will be the favorite the next 2 years with Sexton and Co. returning, and Western still looks decent as well, but after that, the rest of the league looks down (Green will have a drop off, East and Clay still look rough, and ND will be playing multiple freshmen next year). I look at SOC I junior high teams, and it was pretty weak basketball this year (Notre Dame 8 was undefeated and Symmes Valley 8 was decent, but not much behind them). You can even go down to the 5-6 grade level and see a huge talent disparity between the SOC II schools and the SOC I schools. Like bobcats94 said, I don't know when, if ever, this will be an argument again.*
ND 8th grade was undefeated?? Not sure how they done that one when Eastern Pike's 8th grade team went undefeated and won the tournament. Heard they were beating teams by 30-40 points.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

3sUp wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:22 am I know it was early in the year but Oak Hill won @ Eastern and were up as much as 14 points in the 4th quarter before Leist made everything in the final minutes
Very early, 1st game :lol:

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

greygoose wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:25 pm

ND 8th grade was undefeated?? Not sure how they done that one when Eastern Pike's 8th grade team went undefeated and won the tournament. Heard they were beating teams by 30-40 points.
What tournament? I heard New Boston tourney that most of SOC I junior highs play in was cancelled, so ND didn't play in a tourney from what I was told. Not sure about regular season, just told that ND was undefeated. Regardless, overall point still that SOC I only gonna get weaker with Beaver Eastern going SOC II.*

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

art_vandelay wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:05 pm
greygoose wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:25 pm

What tournament? I heard New Boston tourney that most of SOC I junior highs play in was cancelled, so ND didn't play in a tourney from what I was told. Not sure about regular season, just told that ND was undefeated. Regardless, overall point still that SOC I only gonna get weaker with Beaver Eastern going SOC II.*
Yeah ND wasn't undefeated. I don't think it mattered if EP was in SOC1 or SOCII come net year with what they're losing they weren't going to be very competitive. Going to SOCII though it's going to be ROUGH on them next year, New Boston should handle the league fairly easy next year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”