Portsmouth v Portsmouth West 2/18 6:15 @ Waverly

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Re: Portsmouth v Portsmouth West 2/18 6:15 @ Waverly

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Great to see the Trojans win a tough one in dramatic fashion. Loved the decision to go to the press late in the game. Was hoping to see it earlier, but it's difficult when you are in foul trouble and the bench is thin..
It's been a rough season for Coach Collins and Co. The OVC was a bear. Nice for these boys to get one.
Tough loss for West. They played well enough to win. I believe it was Berry that played a good defensive game on Fraulini limiting his looks.

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:37 pm Is this considered an upset?
I would think so

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:36 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:37 pm Is this considered an upset?
I would think so
Portsmouth was the #8 seed and West was the #9.

Post by Bobevans »

West was the better team. Poor game management at the end by west coach. They shouldnt have been in that situation to lose. But it was a poor call by the ref at the end

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

The Trojans had a lot of tough calls go against them throughout the game. It just so happened PHS got the last one.

Yikes
Riding the Bench

Post by Yikes »

Both teams played amazing last night. It made for a really good show. That call was awfully close and possibly was a bad one, the ref was right there 3 ft away so maybe he saw something I didn't but the Trojans had a hard time with calls a lot of the time. Like Moses Guthrie said, it just so happened that the Trojans got that one, not often does this happen tbh. Myquel McKinley stepped up in a big way in the 2nd half that Trojan fans haven't seen since they played South Point in the beginning of the year. Good luck Trojans against Adena!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Congrats to Trojans. Been a rough year, but the kids kept at it and got a tourney win. Keep it going against Adena! Tough loss for West, but same thing for them...their kids played hard all year. Hopefully they come back strong next year.*

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Very proud of our the Trojans for the win......and a salute to the West kids for playing as hard as they could. As Moses Guthrie said, the Senators did a great job of defending Matthew Fraulini......the 11 points he did score, though, were very important indeed. Very happy for a great kid like Myquel McKinley to make the game winning basket. PHS fought back from a 6 point deficit with barely 3 minutes to play. As offensively challenged as Portsmouth is, I wasn't very optimistic at that time that we could pull out the win.......but we did, and now the Trojans will have to up their game if they want to beat #1 seed Adena.

From where I was sitting, I didn't get a good look at the controversial call with 8 seconds to go, so I can't comment on whether it was a good/bad call. As has been posted by others, West really hurt themselves at the FT line in the 4th quarter. If they did better at the line,they win the game, no doubt.

I told Coach Collins afterward that his defensive plan won the game. Portsmouth played probably 95% man to man, which utilized their quickness. Even though the Trojans' fouling put West in the double bonus rather early, the defense kept them close enough to make a rally at the end........and as good as the defense played, it still came down to the Trojans needing a basket at the buzzer......and McKinley came through just in time.

GO TROJANS!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”