#4 Athens vs #5 Logan Elm 2/22

BUCKEYES
Freshman Team

Re: #4 Athens vs #5 Logan Elm 2/22

Post by BUCKEYES »

VisionQuest wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:20 pm Does Holberts boy play?
No, he's in 8th grade

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

BUCKEYES wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:18 pm
No, he's in 8th grade
Ok thanks.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

He's in eighth grade.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Any Score Predictions???

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

I think it’s a close game but I like LE in this game. They are not strangers to playing bigger more physical teams. They beat a very good physical Teays Valley team earlier in the season. I actually think the speed and ball movement of LE will cause problems for Athens. I have seen both play and Athens is a much slower team. Should be a good one but I like LE 51-44.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Bulldogs by 14

BUCKEYES
Freshman Team

Post by BUCKEYES »

Really depends on which LE team shows up. I have seen them come out so flat at times that they struggle to score and other times they take the game to their opponents. If they play fast aggressive on both sides of the ball they are a very good team that can frustrate teams.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

In my book, obviously LE has to be able to score from the perimeter & in transition - if the Athens matchup zone forces LE to shoot the deep/and they aren't falling - this one gets ugly fast ... BUT the Napkin Stat I will be looking at following the game will be TO's - specifically the Athens TOs ... Athens has to take care of the ball ...if the Braves can turn the Bulldogs over - 20+ TOs is NOT out of the question - as Athens HAS that kind of difficulty taking care of the ball ... Loss vs Waverly 32 TOs/ Loss vs Warren 25 TOs/ Loss vs Logan 20 TOs/ Win vs Alexander 15 TOs - not many teams can put the kind of "on the ball" pressure as LE can put on a team for 32 minutes - I see LE somewhere between Warren & Waverly for on the ball pressure ... I'll give it the TOs barometer call on the game : IF Logan Elm can turn the Bulldogs over 20+ times LE gets the W ... IF Athens is able to take care of the ball in the 15 TO range for the game (which in my book means they are able to run their offense - get the ball down low to their strength both literally and figuratively to Hynes/Butcher/Chubb ) Athens gets the W ... I'll be in the Cheap Seats keeping an eye on this Napkin Stat ...

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Does LE have more speed than Alexander? I don’t know but Alex is pretty quick and Athens handled them well both games. I would have to think the Seniors for Athens and their experience comes through in this game. Maxfield, Hynes and Chubb this makes their 3rd year on this big stage-2 years ago they were on the Griffin Lutz led team that beat Sheridan in the Sectionals and made it to the Convo-last year they lost in a heartbreaker to VC In OT, a game in which most didn’t give them a chance-by now I would hope they have nerves of steel, they are Battle Tested. I guess We will see come Friday night.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Logan Elm had better shoot lights out, as I think they may have trouble getting a lot of offensive rebounds.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

VisionQuest wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:30 pm Does LE have more speed than Alexander? I don’t know but Alex is pretty quick and Athens handled them well both games. I would have to think the Seniors for Athens and their experience comes through in this game. Maxfield, Hynes and Chubb this makes their 3rd year on this big stage-2 years ago they were on the Griffin Lutz led team that beat Sheridan in the Sectionals and made it to the Convo-last year they lost in a heartbreaker to VC In OT, a game in which most didn’t give them a chance-by now I would hope they have nerves of steel, they are Battle Tested. I guess We will see come Friday night.
... overall LE TEAM speed is more than Alexander BUT LE doesn't have the size/strength of Alexander imo LE has NO inside game on offense ... spotlight will be on Williams for Athens to take of the ball/make good decisions with the ball ... if it is a half court game it's Advantage Athens for sure ... with the quickness that LE puts on the floor Athens will think that there are 7 players out there at times LOL ... LE kids play such solid, physical, defense that over the course of the game will take advantage of lapses in concentration ... TO's and Transition buckets will be what I will be looking at as key napkin stats along with how many PnP (points in the paint) Athens gets ... if the Bulldogs get 20 fgs in the paint - this one is over ... I don't think LE can play a half court game and beat AHS but we'll see ! LE has played some strong/physical teams very well this season losing to ZT at ZT by only 3 ... beating Teays Valley & Hamilton Township ... it will be fun to see the strategies at both ends to counter the size advantage the Bulldogs have AND to see how Coach Cozart works his offense to take full advantage of THAT SIZE ADVANTAGE ! fun times in the one and done season !!!

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan12 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:47 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:30 pm Does LE have more speed than Alexander? I don’t know but Alex is pretty quick and Athens handled them well both games. I would have to think the Seniors for Athens and their experience comes through in this game. Maxfield, Hynes and Chubb this makes their 3rd year on this big stage-2 years ago they were on the Griffin Lutz led team that beat Sheridan in the Sectionals and made it to the Convo-last year they lost in a heartbreaker to VC In OT, a game in which most didn’t give them a chance-by now I would hope they have nerves of steel, they are Battle Tested. I guess We will see come Friday night.
... overall LE TEAM speed is more than Alexander BUT LE doesn't have the size/strength of Alexander imo LE has NO inside game on offense ... spotlight will be on Williams for Athens to take of the ball/make good decisions with the ball ... if it is a half court game it's Advantage Athens for sure ... with the quickness that LE puts on the floor Athens will think that there are 7 players out there at times LOL ... LE kids play such solid, physical, defense that over the course of the game will take advantage of lapses in concentration ... TO's and Transition buckets will be what I will be looking at as key napkin stats along with how many PnP (points in the paint) Athens gets ... if the Bulldogs get 20 fgs in the paint - this one is over ... I don't think LE can play a half court game and beat AHS but we'll see ! LE has played some strong/physical teams very well this season losing to ZT at ZT by only 3 ... beating Teays Valley & Hamilton Township ... it will be fun to see the strategies at both ends to counter the size advantage the Bulldogs have AND to see how Coach Cozart works his offense to take full advantage of THAT SIZE ADVANTAGE ! fun times in the one and done season !!!
Pfloyd, LE and ZT game wasn’t close. The final score was 3 points but ZT was up by 12 with a minute to go. With that being said, IF ZT gets by Hillsboro they will have their hands full vs Athens or LE & vice-versa.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Never count Stiverson and LE out . They will be quicker than the Bulldogs and more discipline . The Bulldogs will go zone because they are not ( IMO) a good Man D Team . TO may play a big part . The Bulldogs needs to keep the TO under 15 . Look for the game to go down to the last possession and may go to OT.. Not a good matchup for either team . Edge to the Braves.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

If LE is quick and guard heavy then I don’t see how Athens doesn’t stay with their Bread and Butter 3-2 Zone. Like another poster said LE will have to shoot lights out. Athens beat LE at LE last year I believe and this year for some reason LE dropped Athens from the schedule. I think 93Bulldog said LE hadn’t beat Athens since 2013. But as many have stated anything can happen in the one and done season.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I can't really find much on LE

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Wasn't me who said LE hadn't beat Athens since 2013. I dont think they played last year either.
Didn't Athens play Fed instead? Or something like that.
I'm not sure. I'm getting old I dont remember so well anymore. Lol

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:33 pm Wasn't me who said LE hadn't beat Athens since 2013. I dont think they played last year either.
We won 49-44 last year. It was pretty close the entire game

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:48 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:33 pm Wasn't me who said LE hadn't beat Athens since 2013. I dont think they played last year either.
Lol thanks
I couldn't remember for sure. Where was that game played? For some reason I cant remember calling it on the radio

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:59 am
Lol thanks
I couldn't remember for sure. Where was that game played? For some reason I cant remember calling it on the radio
At Logan Elm

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

VisionQuest wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:00 am
93Bulldog wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:59 am

Lol thanks
At Logan Elm
Oh yeah, now I remember!
It was the ONE game my play by play guy actually drove to (instead of me) - that's why I didn't remember. haha
I believe Stiverson had just got his 300th win prior to the game, or was trying for it that night, maybe bman can shed some light on the subject.

... And Pfloyd AND Mrs. Pfloyd were in attendance. I seriously must be getting old forgetting all that. smh

Return to “Boys Basketball”