Point Guards

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Re: Point Guards

Post by LucasDavenport »

I’ve seen Matthew Miller. He’s not bad. He will be even tougher as he moves into his junior/senior year.

Great family!

I haven’t seen Williams from Athens — except on tape — I’m betting that he and Upthegrove would match up the best. And, I’m praying it happens.

Last night I was impressed with Lattimore from Portsmouth. He would make the list.

Little from Unioto is hard to get the ball from. Good foul shooter.

I think the best point guards get the ball where they want on the floor when they want to. Or get the offense started from the place on the floor where the coach wants the offense started — they don’t let the defense dictate where the offense starts.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
sportsjunky22
Waterboy

Post by sportsjunky22 »

Andrew Shope from Valley. He may not be the best shooter, but he is very unselfish, great leader, and also plays some defense.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

sportsjunky22 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:07 am Andrew Shope from Valley. He may not be the best shooter, but he is very unselfish, great leader, and also plays some defense.
I thought Valley played a good second half/ great 4th quarter last night.

I was trying to think who their point guard was and thought they did more of a committee thing as they have several guards. Shope played a good game.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

sportsjunky22 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:07 am Andrew Shope from Valley. He may not be the best shooter, but he is very unselfish, great leader, and also plays some defense.
Games I seen Mollette is the one handling the ball most of the time.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:54 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:52 pm
Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:47 pm The best "true points" I have seen all year are Williams from Athens and Wallis from Jackson. Leist has been around for 11 years so I know he is tough as well.
Not seen the kid from Athens but Wallis is really good.

Robertson from waverly and Miller from burg are up and comers.
Williams may be the quickest kid I seen this year with the ball in his hand.

Is Tre playing the point for Waverly? I haven't seen them, but I figured him to be more off the ball.
I don't believe there's a true point in Waverly, they use a combination of Trey, Cody and Cobe. Depending on game flow against West they were using a weave offense all night so no true point guard was controlling and dishing. Cody especially but Cobe also are the better dribble drive penatrators for Waverly, really allows Trey to spot up and get him open shots from behind the arc.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

greygoose wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:38 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:54 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Not seen the kid from Athens but Wallis is really good.

Robertson from waverly and Miller from burg are up and comers.
Williams may be the quickest kid I seen this year with the ball in his hand.

Is Tre playing the point for Waverly? I haven't seen them, but I figured him to be more off the ball.
I don't believe there's a true point in Waverly, they use a combination of Trey, Cody and Cobe. Depending on game flow against West they were using a weave offense all night so no true point guard was controlling and dishing. Cody especially but Cobe also are the better dribble drive penatrators for Waverly, really allows Trey to spot up and get him open shots from behind the arc.
I was trying to think of a positive way to word this. You did an excellent job.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

I haven't seen Coal Grove this year but if Aaron Music is playing point for them then he has to be at the top of the list. Also Ripley has a really good point guard.

sportsjunky22
Waterboy

Post by sportsjunky22 »

greygoose wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:33 am
Games I seen Mollette is the one handling the ball most of the time.
Yes Shope and Mollette both have played PG. Either way, Shope is my ideal PG. A LEADER

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

If I had to pick one PG in SE Ohio as a pure leader: Either Leist from Eastern Pike or Beard from Chillicothe

If I had to pick one PG based more off talent: Either Upthegrove from WCH or would have been Fox from South Point had he not been injured all season.

There's a lot of "tweeners" that have the ball in their hand a lot but I'm not sure are PG's -- like Evans at Zane Trace. If he's labeled as a PG, give me him all day.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Ohio1234
JV Team

Post by Ohio1234 »

Tre Beard chillicothe all season teams have been face guarding him from almost full court the kid is excellent a jumper from anywhere in the gym handles pressure well and is a true floor general being a coaches son he know the game . he went from about 5'4 last season to about 5'9 this season and has the heart of a lion .

gobluehoops20
Waterboy

Post by gobluehoops20 »

Alex Blanton from Piketon does an good job leading his team every night, and he is capable of playing off the ball

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Two that I have seen quite a bit are Aaron Music of Coal Grove and Ethan Wilson of Ironton. Both of them could hold their own against anybody else that's mentioned on this topic.

cavsbkb
Riding the Bench

Post by cavsbkb »

Ohio1234 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:35 am Tre Beard chillicothe all season teams have been face guarding him from almost full court the kid is excellent a jumper from anywhere in the gym handles pressure well and is a true floor general being a coaches son he know the game . he went from about 5'4 last season to about 5'9 this season and has the heart of a lion .
Had a chance to talk to this young man a few weeks a go before a home game. The question that I asked him was "why don't you look to score more" especially in the 1ist half of games. His answer was: "As a PG it is my job to make sure that Jayvon Maughmer and Brandon Noel get going early and then I can look to be aggressive". True definition of point guard! I believe this kid will get another growth spurt over the summer and understands that he must get stronger. His basketball IQ is through the roof and as been stated before pound for pound the best player his team. If he continues to work on his game and gets stronger during the summer, this is a kid that will be talked about a lot next year!

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:54 am
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:41 am I’d put Matthew Miller from Wheelersburg up against any player mentioned on this thread.
And you would get smoked.
Apparently nobody can have an opinion different than yours. Stop being an ass.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:25 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:41 am I’d put Matthew Miller from Wheelersburg up against any player mentioned on this thread.
Matthew Miller is good. He still needs more experience but he more than holds his own. I seriously doubt he’d get smoked.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

So I'm the ass because I disagree with you? Got it.

Miller is a solid player. He is not in the upper level of guards in this area. Period. I am sure you have watched Wheelersburg and only Wheelersburg games. If you watched the other kids on this list, you would see.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:37 pm

Miller is a solid player. He is not in the upper level of guards in this area. Period. I am sure you have watched Wheelersburg and only Wheelersburg games. If you watched the other kids on this list, you would see.
He may not be upper level yet, but he's pretty good and will be one of the top guards the next two years. He doesn't start but probably should.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I agree with both of you. He's not in the upper level. However, he has a very bright future the next 2 years and could eventually get into that upper level.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:37 pm

No you were being an ass from the comment you made not because you disagreed my statement. Awful aggressive for no reason. My original statement did not include anything negative toward any other player. Just my confidence in Miller. While I haven’t seen all the players mentioned on this thread, I have watched more than just The Burg. Have a good day Crab.

southernfam
Waterboy

Post by southernfam »

Wallis from Jackson is a true point guard! Kid is a hard worker and I am really impressed with his work ethics. I do like Ethan Wilson from Ironton. He is a crafty point guard that can knock down the three. These two are the top point guards in the area for me.

Return to “Boys Basketball”