Point Guards

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Point Guards

Post by VetteMan »

trojandave wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:36 pm Two that I have seen quite a bit are Aaron Music of Coal Grove and Ethan Wilson of Ironton. Both of them could hold their own against anybody else that's mentioned on this topic.
I agree with you completely. Mayby some the fans have not seen these 2 as much as some of the others. They are the QB of there teams, they can score when need be, they are also very good defensive players. Everyone agrees that E. Leist is one of the best point guards around SEO, I put these 2 in that same category.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:48 pm
trojandave wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:36 pm Two that I have seen quite a bit are Aaron Music of Coal Grove and Ethan Wilson of Ironton. Both of them could hold their own against anybody else that's mentioned on this topic.
I agree with you completely. Mayby some the fans have not seen these 2 as much as some of the others. They are the QB of there teams, they can score when need be, they are also very good defensive players. Everyone agrees that E. Leist is one of the best point guards around SEO, I put these 2 in that same category.
... not going to disagree with either you Vetteman or trojandave as you both have seen these players more than I (I have not seen Ironton play at all - one of the few teams in my top 45 I have not seen) so I defer to you both ... I saw Music vs Oak Hill ... he IS an excellent player /does so much for CG ... I came away feeling he was "THE SHOW" for CG - that is not to be taken in a derogatory way at all - I simply mean HE is a MAJOR offensive option - ALWAYS looking to score on his own ... I view the others as PGs who are the "distributors" of the ball/ run the offense etc. BEING THE SHOW IS NOT A BAD THING !!! LOL ... he's outstanding ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Truth&fiction wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:18 pm
pfloyd wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:36 pm When I look at PG's ... those that are the best are those that 1) handles the ball/breaks down pressure 2) distributes the ball getting THE scorers/TEAM involved in the game early and often 3) sets the offense in motion from anywhere on the floor 4) is able to penetrate/dish and/or finish at the rim 5) HAS the perimeter game to knock down the 3 ball (which makes him that much more able to penetrate into the paint) ... are they the BIG scorer? no ... can they/do they play D ? absolutely ... these are the best of the best that I have seen this season based on that criteria :

Logan ... Caleb Bell ... so strong with the ball ... does it all AND has in the last half of the season become a legit downtown threat (2-3 per game)
Eastern Pike ... Evan Leist
Jackson ... Caleb Wallis ... as Bell for Logan has done this season - Wallis does it all & IS a 3 point threat this season ...
Washington CH ... Evan Upthegrove ... probably elevates higher on his jump shot more than any player in SEO
Chillicothe ... Tre Beard ... strength IS an important part of being a PG, TB will get there ...
Warren ... Seth Dennis
Waverly ... Cody Remington/Cobe Marquez
Zane Trace ... Cam Evans when he plays that position - fits my description exactly ... may be the strongest guard in SEO with the ball
Fairfield Union ... Evan Conley
Alexander ... JK Kearns
Sheridan ... Ethan Heller ... as scorer 1st imo - a darn good one LOL

... I look at the list I have posted as those players who are pure PG's who "aren't" the show - the distribution of the ball, getting THE true scorers on the team the ball where THEY can score , feeding the post ... there are PG's out there who "ARE THE SHOW" without their scoring the TEAM struggles - Alex Blanton for Piketon fits THIS mold imo ... Brewster for Western Pike ... then you have teams that are full of guards - Logan Elm with Jeremy Wietlemann/Jason Sailor/Isaac Ward/Gabe Chaffin ... the LE motion offense makes them ALL PG's/scoring guards/ & G/F's ... same with Trimble with Brayden Weber/Jeremiah Brown/Cam Kittle/Sawyer Koons/ Blake Guffey ... the motion offense make them all PG/G/F's ...
You are the one that can truly " GRADE PLAYERS " and you have done a great job on this and all your other run downs . Keep up the good work ! Enjoy the POST SEASON.
... thank you ! Truth&fiction - I appreciate that ... you know ME ! - the POST SEASON is my time of the year ...

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Point guards for sure are the leaders of the teams. They can make you or break you. Now is when the cream rises to the top. Here's to my two favorite guards: Weston Browning and Cody Remington. Good luck guys!!!

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

Caleb Wallis #1.

Bud07
Freshman Team

Post by Bud07 »

All 4 teams in the district finals for D2 this year have excellent point guards I don't think that's a coincidence.

Bballfanseo
Waterboy

Post by Bballfanseo »

D2 Point Guards in District Finals

Wallis and Heller
Wallis is a tough dude. However, I think you can only try to slow Heller down. He is going to get his. Wallis will have to keep him from getting other guys involved.

Evans and Conley
I think Evans gets the best of this matchup. He is just too diverse and strong for Conley to handle. His hesitation and change of speed is really impressive. He can get about any shot he wants on the floor.

Bud07
Freshman Team

Post by Bud07 »

Bballfanseo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:40 am D2 Point Guards in District Finals

Wallis and Heller
Wallis is a tough dude. However, I think you can only try to slow Heller down. He is going to get his. Wallis will have to keep him from getting other guys involved.

Evans and Conley
I think Evans gets the best of this matchup. He is just too diverse and strong for Conley to handle. His hesitation and change of speed is really impressive. He can get about any shot he wants on the floor.
Evans does change his speed really well. He is a great player. Don't sell Conley short. He has been playing great. He has been an animal defensively as of late and he can create his own shot about any time he wants as well. I have been really impressed with his leadership. This will be a great matchup.

Return to “Boys Basketball”