Point Guards

Crab's Brother
SEO

Re: Point Guards

Post by Crab's Brother »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:25 pm
Crab's Brother wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:54 am
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:41 am I’d put Matthew Miller from Wheelersburg up against any player mentioned on this thread.
And you would get smoked.
Apparently nobody can have an opinion different than yours. Stop being an ass.
So I'm the ass because I disagree with you? Got it.

Miller is a solid player. He is not in the upper level of guards in this area. Period. I am sure you have watched Wheelersburg and only Wheelersburg games. If you watched the other kids on this list, you would see.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:37 pm

Miller is a solid player. He is not in the upper level of guards in this area. Period. I am sure you have watched Wheelersburg and only Wheelersburg games. If you watched the other kids on this list, you would see.
He may not be upper level yet, but he's pretty good and will be one of the top guards the next two years. He doesn't start but probably should.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I agree with both of you. He's not in the upper level. However, he has a very bright future the next 2 years and could eventually get into that upper level.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:37 pm

No you were being an ass from the comment you made not because you disagreed my statement. Awful aggressive for no reason. My original statement did not include anything negative toward any other player. Just my confidence in Miller. While I haven’t seen all the players mentioned on this thread, I have watched more than just The Burg. Have a good day Crab.

southernfam
Waterboy

Post by southernfam »

Wallis from Jackson is a true point guard! Kid is a hard worker and I am really impressed with his work ethics. I do like Ethan Wilson from Ironton. He is a crafty point guard that can knock down the three. These two are the top point guards in the area for me.

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

Ukfanatic wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:33 pm Remington is not a point guard, but he guards the opposing teams point guard. Held least to 4 Wallis to 6 and I can’t remember how many Williams had the first game of the year but it wasn’t many. 2 of leists points and 3 of wallises was when Remington was taking a rare breather. For my money give me Browning from Peebles for a point guard with all around game. Robertson from Waverly will be the best in the area the next three years!
I've been able to see all players mentioned here more than once and Leist is a much more all around player than Remington or Browning. Browning can score but can't handle the ball/control the offense nearly as well as Leist. Remington is a decent defender if he can guard without fouling which is a rare occasion anytime I've been watching. All three solid players though, and agree the Robertson kid can play.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Hell I’ll throw my kid in there. He’s not your prototypical Pg but I think he’s done a nice job this year for being thrown into that position. He can hold his own with most on that list

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bobcats94 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:59 pm
Ukfanatic wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:33 pm Remington is not a point guard, but he guards the opposing teams point guard. Held least to 4 Wallis to 6 and I can’t remember how many Williams had the first game of the year but it wasn’t many. 2 of leists points and 3 of wallises was when Remington was taking a rare breather. For my money give me Browning from Peebles for a point guard with all around game. Robertson from Waverly will be the best in the area the next three years!
I've been able to see all players mentioned here more than once and Leist is a much more all around player than Remington or Browning. Browning can score but can't handle the ball/control the offense nearly as well as Leist. Remington is a decent defender if he can guard without fouling which is a rare occasion anytime I've been watching. All three solid players though, and agree the Robertson kid can play.
Decent defender? That’s crazy to me. Not sure anyone else will take that stance.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:08 pm
bobcats94 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:59 pm
Decent defender? That’s crazy to me. Not sure anyone else will take that stance.
Without fouling? Every player gets 5 last time I checked

Sawggerdagger
Waterboy

Post by Sawggerdagger »

Has anyone seen Weber from Trimble he doesn’t run point to often but when he does seems to be very efficient

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:44 pm Caleb Bell of Logan. Probably one of the most underrated point guards around. Doesn't always fill up the stat sheet. But he's integral to what the Chiefs do. Handles the ball as well as anyone around, especially against all these central district guards. Is averaging 9.6 points per game, is an excellent 3-point shooter. And plays lock down defense on the perimeter.
I might be a little partial but at 6-2 and strong as he is I'm glad he's a Chieftain . You might say he's the calm before the storm and I think you know what I mean . High IQ player and does not turn the ball over , just too unselfish to rack up PPG . Can defend 1-5 . BIG part of what the Chieftains are .

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

When I look at PG's ... those that are the best are those that 1) handles the ball/breaks down pressure 2) distributes the ball getting THE scorers/TEAM involved in the game early and often 3) sets the offense in motion from anywhere on the floor 4) is able to penetrate/dish and/or finish at the rim 5) HAS the perimeter game to knock down the 3 ball (which makes him that much more able to penetrate into the paint) ... are they the BIG scorer? no ... can they/do they play D ? absolutely ... these are the best of the best that I have seen this season based on that criteria :

Logan ... Caleb Bell ... so strong with the ball ... does it all AND has in the last half of the season become a legit downtown threat (2-3 per game)
Eastern Pike ... Evan Leist
Jackson ... Caleb Wallis ... as Bell for Logan has done this season - Wallis does it all & IS a 3 point threat this season ...
Washington CH ... Evan Upthegrove ... probably elevates higher on his jump shot more than any player in SEO
Chillicothe ... Tre Beard ... strength IS an important part of being a PG, TB will get there ...
Warren ... Seth Dennis
Waverly ... Cody Remington/Cobe Marquez
Zane Trace ... Cam Evans when he plays that position - fits my description exactly ... may be the strongest guard in SEO with the ball
Fairfield Union ... Evan Conley
Alexander ... JK Kearns
Sheridan ... Ethan Heller ... as scorer 1st imo - a darn good one LOL

... I look at the list I have posted as those players who are pure PG's who "aren't" the show - the distribution of the ball, getting THE true scorers on the team the ball where THEY can score , feeding the post ... there are PG's out there who "ARE THE SHOW" without their scoring the TEAM struggles - Alex Blanton for Piketon fits THIS mold imo ... Brewster for Western Pike ... then you have teams that are full of guards - Logan Elm with Jeremy Wietlemann/Jason Sailor/Isaac Ward/Gabe Chaffin ... the LE motion offense makes them ALL PG's/scoring guards/ & G/F's ... same with Trimble with Brayden Weber/Jeremiah Brown/Cam Kittle/Sawyer Koons/ Blake Guffey ... the motion offense make them all PG/G/F's ...

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

To add another note about Logan's Caleb Bell, as the point guard, he's averaging about 1 turnover a game, he has only 21 turnovers in Logan's 20 games.

WesternIndianFan
Waterboy

Post by WesternIndianFan »

Western's Lane Brewster is averaging almost 21ppg, 10 rebounds, 56% from 2pt range, 76% from the FT line, and 2.5 assists. Also leads team in steals and is second in blocks all from the point guard position. Will likely finish career as Western's 3rd all-time leading boys scorer and 5th overall leading scorer. Aside from his one time fouling out in his career and missing the 4th quarter last night due to injury, he has sat out less than 10 total minutes of game time in the past two seasons.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

trojandave wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:36 pm Two that I have seen quite a bit are Aaron Music of Coal Grove and Ethan Wilson of Ironton. Both of them could hold their own against anybody else that's mentioned on this topic.
I agree, both are very good

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Remington struggled with foul trouble all last year. He dedicated himself this year to not being in foul trouble and still playing great defense. He has not fouled out of one game and has only picked up two fouls in the first half in one game and that was on an offensive rebound and terrible charge call.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ukfanatic wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 am Remington struggled with foul trouble all last year. He dedicated himself this year to not being in foul trouble and still playing great defense. He has not fouled out of one game and has only picked up two fouls in the first half in one game and that was on an offensive rebound and terrible charge call.
Hasn’t fouled out and 1 time out of 22 had 2 fouls in the 1st half?

We don’t need facts man.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:41 am I’d put Matthew Miller from Wheelersburg up against any player mentioned on this thread.
I don't know... Matthew is a competitor, he'd gladly take on any of these guys and I think he'd do so pretty well. Just a sophomore so he may be outmatched in this discussion right now but by the time he's a senior I'd say he would be over any of these guys.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Also, I'd like to add how impressive Wallis from Jackson was against Wheelersburg. I think he is quite the player and does a lot for Jackson.
Wilson from Ironton is a good playmaker for the Tigers
Robertson from Waverly will be a problem in the future even though he's more off ball right now, with Marquez and Remington filling that role quite nicely
Haven't really seen anyone else play enough to make a comment on them, but have heard good things about numerous players in the area.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:36 pm When I look at PG's ... those that are the best are those that 1) handles the ball/breaks down pressure 2) distributes the ball getting THE scorers/TEAM involved in the game early and often 3) sets the offense in motion from anywhere on the floor 4) is able to penetrate/dish and/or finish at the rim 5) HAS the perimeter game to knock down the 3 ball (which makes him that much more able to penetrate into the paint) ... are they the BIG scorer? no ... can they/do they play D ? absolutely ... these are the best of the best that I have seen this season based on that criteria :

Logan ... Caleb Bell ... so strong with the ball ... does it all AND has in the last half of the season become a legit downtown threat (2-3 per game)
Eastern Pike ... Evan Leist
Jackson ... Caleb Wallis ... as Bell for Logan has done this season - Wallis does it all & IS a 3 point threat this season ...
Washington CH ... Evan Upthegrove ... probably elevates higher on his jump shot more than any player in SEO
Chillicothe ... Tre Beard ... strength IS an important part of being a PG, TB will get there ...
Warren ... Seth Dennis
Waverly ... Cody Remington/Cobe Marquez
Zane Trace ... Cam Evans when he plays that position - fits my description exactly ... may be the strongest guard in SEO with the ball
Fairfield Union ... Evan Conley
Alexander ... JK Kearns
Sheridan ... Ethan Heller ... as scorer 1st imo - a darn good one LOL

... I look at the list I have posted as those players who are pure PG's who "aren't" the show - the distribution of the ball, getting THE true scorers on the team the ball where THEY can score , feeding the post ... there are PG's out there who "ARE THE SHOW" without their scoring the TEAM struggles - Alex Blanton for Piketon fits THIS mold imo ... Brewster for Western Pike ... then you have teams that are full of guards - Logan Elm with Jeremy Wietlemann/Jason Sailor/Isaac Ward/Gabe Chaffin ... the LE motion offense makes them ALL PG's/scoring guards/ & G/F's ... same with Trimble with Brayden Weber/Jeremiah Brown/Cam Kittle/Sawyer Koons/ Blake Guffey ... the motion offense make them all PG/G/F's ...
You are the one that can truly " GRADE PLAYERS " and you have done a great job on this and all your other run downs . Keep up the good work ! Enjoy the POST SEASON.

Return to “Boys Basketball”