Tournament Time...Referees

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Tournament Time...Referees

Post by mlittle »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:05 pm
mlittle wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:58 am Guarantee my kid gets called for traveling at least once Friday
I’m hoping for 3-4. :-).

One of us moves on and one of us gets to watch basketball without being nervous.

Not exactly a win-win but I’m trying to tell myself that.
The pressure really is more intense for me as a parent than I ever imagined it being. Not just for tournaments but literally every time either of them step on to the court/field/track. There is a bit of relief in the offseasons so I feel ya

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:33 am
smurray wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:44 am Not a complaint about referees or any certain crew. Just a couple genuine questions in general:

1. Why is the game called differently during the tournament than during the regular season (don’t pretend it isnt)?
If you’re going to let them play a certain way during the tournament why not let them play that way all year?

2. Is it true crews have been told to cut back on “traveling” calls? If true, how exactly do you determine which travels you wont call and what is this teaching these H.S. kids. This isnt the NBA and please dont turn it in to that farce of a league.

Clarification from officials would be greatly appreciated......
Interesting smurray. My wife just told me the same thing from your point #2. She heard it from the wife of a referee at the junior high tournament. He wasn’t reffing the junior high thing but his wife was there.

Let them play and call less traveling. And she hadn’t seen your post nor had I referenced it.

I am for this !
I heard of the statement last night and it exaplianed the obvious traveling not getting called (it was blatant). It’s not good for the H.S. game, unless they are heading the game the direction of the NBA.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I thought it would be easier now that he’s coaching. He was the point guard for 4 years at SW. and by his senior year he was everyone’s kid. A friend of ours came to the Wheelersburg game his senior year and when he turned it over at the start of the 4th quarter —- everyone yelled at him. The friend got mad ... but as I was explaining it to him — Connor made a 3 and everyone loved him again.

Being the parent of the point guard is tough.

Being the parent of the coach is tough. I won’t one up you because I feel the same now as I did then. I won’t lie and say it’s tougher. It’s not. I should be old enough now to realize it’s just a game and all that jazz. Nope

I think the worst would be — without a doubt — being the wife of the referee. My wife tries to say hello and notice where they might be.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 pm I thought it would be easier now that he’s coaching. He was the point guard for 4 years at SW. and by his senior year he was everyone’s kid. A friend of ours came to the Wheelersburg game his senior year and when he turned it over at the start of the 4th quarter —- everyone yelled at him. The friend got mad ... but as I was explaining it to him — Connor made a 3 and everyone loved him again.

Being the parent of the point guard is tough.

Being the parent of the coach is tough. I won’t one up you because I feel the same now as I did then. I won’t lie and say it’s tougher. It’s not. I should be old enough now to realize it’s just a game and all that jazz. Nope

I think the worst would be — without a doubt — being the wife of the referee. My wife tries to say hello and notice where they might be.
I imagine this feeling will never go away 🤷‍♂️

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

transplant wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:05 am Crabs brother, did Jackie start off the game with "quick"? Glad he is still on the sidelines helping young players with the game of basketball. Also, glad to hear you are back involved in the game too. Heard you called a good game the other night in the Jr. High tourney. Keep up the good works fellas.
You know he did. Never did see Chicago though.

As far as the traveling goes...We are "calling the obvious and advantageous". At least that is what my crew has done for the most part. When it is bad it gets called. When an advantage is gained...It gets called.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Game interruptions! Advantage /Disadvantage! Many times there might be a bump, did it cause advantage or disadvantage? If not, let it go and let the game flow. "Fans" and coaches want everything called on their side. When you hear call it both ways, that usually means please call it more against the other team, because when you see fouls at a 7-1 advantage you never hear anything from a fan or coach that has the 1. LOL
Also, scoreboards should have never included Team Fouls on it. It serves no purpose but to tell the crowd and coaches the discrepancy in fouls. We only shoot 1 and 1 bonus when we are told by the scorekeepers at the table.
If people would just relax and try and enjoy the game it would make the experience better for all. JMO.

Jackie Moon
Riding the Bench

Post by Jackie Moon »

You know he did. Never did see Chicago though.

Chicago was something that was ran my first year here and it never really caught on :roll:
Now "Quick" I made a living off of that with 2 kids that we on the JV team, we would run it at the beginning of the game, and at the end of the quarter after holding for the last shot of the qtr. I know somethings never change!! :lol: :lol:

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Jackie Moon wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:32 pm You know he did. Never did see Chicago though.

Chicago was something that was ran my first year here and it never really caught on :roll:
Now "Quick" I made a living off of that with 2 kids that we on the JV team, we would run it at the beginning of the game, and at the end of the quarter after holding for the last shot of the qtr. I know somethings never change!! :lol: :lol:
no reason to change if it works.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I’ve watched several tournament games and the refs are doing a good job on some tough tough games and environments to officiate

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:13 pm I’ve watched several tournament games and the refs are doing a good job on some tough tough games and environments to officiate
Agreed. Best I’ve seen

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

Officials at Waverly did a good job tonight.

football life
Freshman Team

Post by football life »

What was the bench Technical for in the Athens LE game? After the Tech why was Cozart allowed to keep standing to coach and argue calls?

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

I don't know if people know this or not, but officials have been evaluated in almost 95% of the Tournament games in SE Ohio the past 2 years. This to me has been very helpful. Evaluators never question 50 /50 calls. They evaluate Refs on mechanics, professionalism, positioning, and anything else they see that would improve their Calling. I hope they extend this type of evaluation into the regular season, but I am not sure SE district has the manpower or resources to make it happen. Still a lot of very good Referees that need to be seen in order to get tournament games. Although each AD could designate a group of fans from each team to write up officials. I am sure that would work out well. LOL

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

What about when referees stare down players? I noticed that last night. I’m not a guy that yells at refs. It’s a hard job and I know that they’re going to miss some but I have seen officials watch players outside their zone especially impact players. Last night was no exception. I actually paid attention and the ref was looking straight at a particular player for several plays during the game. Maybe it was coincidence but it was noticeable as the other guy beside me saw it too.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:08 am What about when referees stare down players? I noticed that last night. I’m not a guy that yells at refs. It’s a hard job and I know that they’re going to miss some but I have seen officials watch players outside their zone especially impact players. Last night was no exception. I actually paid attention and the ref was looking straight at a particular player for several plays during the game. Maybe it was coincidence but it was noticeable as the other guy beside me saw it too.
No, it happens. My kid got a T last night for simply mumbling “that was a foul” under his breath while running up the court. Not even directing it to the official. Not saying it was ok to say but definitely shouldn’t have warranted a T in that type of game. He was warned early first qtr for shrugging his shoulders or something by an official which led me to believe that based off prior instances or someone putting a bug in the crews ear before game that he was being watched. At least that’s what the conspiracy theorist in me believes. Lol

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

mlittle wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:16 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:08 am What about when referees stare down players? I noticed that last night. I’m not a guy that yells at refs. It’s a hard job and I know that they’re going to miss some but I have seen officials watch players outside their zone especially impact players. Last night was no exception. I actually paid attention and the ref was looking straight at a particular player for several plays during the game. Maybe it was coincidence but it was noticeable as the other guy beside me saw it too.
No, it happens. My kid got a T last night for simply mumbling “that was a foul” under his breath while running up the court. Not even directing it to the official. Not saying it was ok to say but definitely shouldn’t have warranted a T in that type of game. He was warned early first qtr for shrugging his shoulders or something by an official which led me to believe that based off prior instances or someone putting a bug in the crews ear before game that he was being watched. At least that’s what the conspiracy theorist in me believes. Lol
Holden got one too last night. He said something to another kid but the other kid said something first. There should be a warning first but you can’t tee up one and not the other.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

So let me get this straight, your son was warned once for showing up an official and acting out. He then acts out again and get's T'd and that's wrong? Some values of parenting you are preaching. His job is to play, not officiate and not coach. It's really that simple. And what does "that type of game" have to do with anything? If it's a foul its a foul! If it's a technical its a technical, just because it's a tournament game doesn't mean you can all the sudden act like an a$$. If what Baseball16 says that officials are being observed on their mechinics, positioning, rules knowledge and so forth, they they had better enforce such things if they want to move up. Just my $.02

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I have to side with the officials on this issue. And I don’t do that very often! Lol!!! Players that believe they are “entitled” to express their displeasure with officials are a sign of the Times. (Good Coaches do not tolerate that) There is no question that’s Officials miss calls. But to openly disrespect people of authority is a character flaw. I believe the stare down is the officials way of saying “This is your warning!” Of course if the official didn’t warn them and was to give them the technical they deserve than everybody would be complaining. “He is a special player! He deserves special treatment! Everybody picks on our kids! Everybody bring their best against us! We have to put up with so much!” Lol!!!!

thebarlowbandit
All State

wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:36 am
Holden got one too last night. He said something to another kid but the other kid said something first. There should be a warning first but you can’t tee up one and not the other.
Sure you can, you simply put the whistle in your mouth, expel air from your lungs and then you make a "T" using both hands. Seems reading these threads this kid probably leads the State in T's, so I'd say he's a slow learner.

thebarlowbandit
All State

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:59 am I have to side with the officials on this issue. And I don’t do that very often! Lol!!! Players that believe they are “entitled” to express their displeasure with officials are a sign of the Times. (Good Coaches do not tolerate that) There is no question that’s Officials miss calls. But to openly disrespect people of authority is a character flaw. I believe the stare down is the officials way of saying “This is your warning!” Of course if the official didn’t warn them and was to give them the technical they deserve than everybody would be complaining. “He is a special player! He deserves special treatment! Everybody picks on our kids! Everybody bring their best against us! We have to put up with so much!” Lol!!!!

+1

Return to “Boys Basketball”