Resting players

gametime
SE

Resting players

Post by gametime »

Going into the last weekend before Tournament, Does any coach rest players because of injuries or because the draw already set. :?:

You can't handle the truth
rickoshay
SEOP

Re: Resting players

Post by rickoshay »

Smart Coach's will, because injuries will happen in practice, or during games late in the season.
Hate to see good players in games with a 20+ lead late.

Bobevans
Riding the Bench

Post by Bobevans »

You may rest a kid if hes injured, but if not they play. They are 16-18 years olds playing for only 32 minutes a game. Get real.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

No 1million times ..

25th Street NW
Varsity

Post by 25th Street NW »

What is this? The NFL?

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

25th Street NW wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:29 pm What is this? The NFL?
Not the NBA or MLB either just a simple question

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

99.9% of These kids will never play organized basketball again. IDK if too many would be willing to give up a in our eyes "meaningless game". Most only play 2-3 years of varsity,some only one year,so every game is an opportunity to get better,I just don't like the idea of it, furthermore I think staying sharp outweighs the risk of injury. They can get injuried in practice. Kids wanna play, coaches wanna teach,they all want to compete. I hope HS sports doesn't start this.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

To me, there are only 2 reasons to “rest” a player.

1. If they are injured or working through an injury

2. If you immediately play the same opponent again in the first round of the tournament and even that is a stretch

They are kids, who likely won’t play a lot more after high school, so let them play and be smart about things (not play in unnecessarily large blowouts)

joemama
Riding the Bench

Post by joemama »

What message does this send to the other student athletes that bust it hard every day in practice? "I'm not as important as the guys/ girls getting rested..." Bad news- PLAY. Injuries are part of any sport-

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

To me coaches could try different combinations of role players,work on different stuff for Tournament.Everybody wants to win I know that but with a lot of conferences all ready won and draw already set, Just would be a good time to work on something different. JMO

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Only rest them if they are hurt. You may not play them the entire game if healthy but you still try to get two quarters out of them at least. Coaches could use the time to try and work on things for tournament play.

Return to “Boys Basketball”