State Tourney Dilemma, Attendance

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

State Tourney Dilemma, Attendance

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Here are 2 good articles that go hand in hand with what a lot of us non-insiders have posted over the years on the basketball forum. We casual fans may not be informed of everything going on yearly but this is a problem that's continuing to get worse even at the District and Regional levels also where attendance is sometimes 1/2 of what it used to be. (Numbers don't lie. There is a consideration on the table to maybe move back to St. John for a trial run, interesting.)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... fp5EBZpO6f

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 7N2M6AjaJl
Last edited by FANOSPORTS on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: State Tourney Delimna , Attendance

Post by danicalifornia »

Per usual, I will be in attendance. It is one of my favorite weekends of the year and I’d only miss it if tickets became hundreds of dollars.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Ticket prices are too expensive. As for St Johns vs The Schott, I know The Schott is massive and the seats get nowhere near filled during the state tournament but I'd much rather play there than St John's.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:15 pm Per usual, I will be in attendance. It is one of my favorite weekends of the year and I’d only miss it if tickets became hundreds of dollars.
It was mine also for around 30 years, not so much anymore. (Me and a few of my long time friends and acquaintances are in that 40-50% attendance drop club they speak of in the article).

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Philos_Finest
All Conference

Re: State Tourney Dilemma, Attendance

Post by Philos_Finest »

Nationwide is where the games need to be played. Much easier to get around and more than enough things and places to do/go around the immiediate area.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

Imagine how empty it would be if all of the coaches, AD's, and administrators didn't go.

It will be interesting to see if the split session idea brings more people out to the games, I dont think it will have a positive effect on attendance.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Attendance at all sports has declined, there are many reasons, the least of which is competing entertainment options. As for prices, well, prices go up because cost go up! As wages increase, the cost of insurance and rental fees increase so must ticket prices!

Take parking at the Convo, it’s been $5 for 40 years, yet people still bitch it’s $5. Been many battles waged to keep it at $5. As for declining attendance, in the SE where we have the cheapest prices and the only combined sessions left in the state we have held on in regards to attendance. But guess what, cost have risen, from security, to staffing, prices go up. Social media and TV cost attendance, but it’s a convenience that people want. Even though Facebook live and other illegal streaming of games is happening. Some would rather sit at home.

Some venues do not even want to host games because the money available is not worth their time nor does it fit into their profit models. People here talk about putting the games at Nationwide, well Nationwide would double the ticket price, then we’d bitch about that. Many high schools even decline to serve as sites because they cannot get workers or the money involved is not worth their time.

Just relax folks and enjoy the games for what they are! And that is entertainment, cheap entertainment at that.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I'm ready and we really do have the best set up in SEO with the Convo. It's worth the 5.00 parking and what 10.00 admission getting 2 games most the time.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

mattash wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 pm I'm ready and we really do have the best set up in SEO with the Convo. It's worth the 5.00 parking and what 10.00 admission getting 2 games most the time.
$6 admission. And yes, there are annual complaints that that is too high.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Go to an AAU game 😂 I’ve paid as much as $15 a person to get in.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I would hope the complaints over 6.00 at the convo would not get a response back lol.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

mattash wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:06 pm I would hope the complaints over 6.00 at the convo would not get a response back lol.
Because I've always entered through the tunnel, usually with radio gear, I hadn't gone through the gate in awhile. I thought it was $10 too. haha

$6.00 for high school hoops at the Convo, even if it just 1 game, is freakin awesome! Period.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I went to the state tournament for almost 35 years, but don't go anymore.......rarely was the weather nice, and that is a factor when you have to leave the building after every game and wait for the doors to open for the next session. Most years that I went I would go to all the semifinals, and then watch the finals on TV. I know they have a new package where you can watch 2 games without leaving the building, and that might get me back to the Schott.

Not going this year, though, I have a 25K trail race in West Virginia on the day of the championships. Maybe next year for the semifinals.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Been paying $5.00 every night this week to get into a 2nd grade tournament, so not gonna complain about prices of Convo tickets! As for State Tourney, its time to move it back to St. John Arena. Atmosphere sucks at the Schott for tOSU games, let alone for high school games. The upper deck seats are a joke there (which is about all that's available for the casual fan with no school connection for tickets). 10k in St. John Arena makes for a great atmosphere, and the upper deck seats are right on top of the action.*

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

art_vandelay wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:59 pm Been paying $5.00 every night this week to get into a 2nd grade tournament, so not gonna complain about prices of Convo tickets! As for State Tourney, its time to move it back to St. John Arena. Atmosphere sucks at the Schott for tOSU games, let alone for high school games. The upper deck seats are a joke there (which is about all that's available for the casual fan with no school connection for tickets). 10k in St. John Arena makes for a great atmosphere, and the upper deck seats are right on top of the action.*
St John’s would be great. ONE problem, St John is NOT available, and OSU will not rent it to the OHSAA for the basketball tournaments. So, yeah, sounds great! But the OHSAA can only use sites that are actually available.

SEFan
JV Team

Post by SEFan »

Pol pot wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:05 am
art_vandelay wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:59 pm Been paying $5.00 every night this week to get into a 2nd grade tournament, so not gonna complain about prices of Convo tickets! As for State Tourney, its time to move it back to St. John Arena. Atmosphere sucks at the Schott for tOSU games, let alone for high school games. The upper deck seats are a joke there (which is about all that's available for the casual fan with no school connection for tickets). 10k in St. John Arena makes for a great atmosphere, and the upper deck seats are right on top of the action.*
St John’s would be great. ONE problem, St John is NOT available, and OSU will not rent it to the OHSAA for the basketball tournaments. So, yeah, sounds great! But the OHSAA can only use sites that are actually available.
Why isn’t it available? I thought last year it might not have been because the Ohio State women were hosting 1st and 2nd round that same weekend, but that’s not a yearly thing.

On top of that, shouldn’t those NCAAs be at Nationwide or Schott? I believe I read the men are at Columbus this year for NCAA first and second round. Which depending on that price, might take fans away again.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

SEFan wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:28 am
Why isn’t it available? I thought last year it might not have been because the Ohio State women were hosting 1st and 2nd round that same weekend, but that’s not a yearly thing.

On top of that, shouldn’t those NCAAs be at Nationwide or Schott? I believe I read the men are at Columbus this year for NCAA first and second round. Which depending on that price, might take fans away again.
Saint John arena is home to wrestling, gymnastics, fencing and then his use for other activities as well It’s not available because OSU has no place to put these sports and OSU has said NO to the OHSAA on this issue. Regardless of how badly some think these games should go back to St John areana, the owners of the facility have said NO. So, in light of that what do you expect the OHSAA to do? Just show up anyway????

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

It’s hard to compare having Lebron James and OJ Mayo. If Lamelo Ball was at an OHSAA school it would be the highest attendance state tournament since Lebron

Hulk
Waterboy

Post by Hulk »

Pol pot wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:48 pm
SEFan wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:28 am

Saint John arena is home to wrestling, gymnastics, fencing and then his use for other activities as well It’s not available because OSU has no place to put these sports and OSU has said NO to the OHSAA on this issue. Regardless of how badly some think these games should go back to St John areana, the owners of the facility have said NO. So, in light of that what do you expect the OHSAA to do? Just show up anyway????

Well I was going to ask the same question but glad I didn't now ,LOL.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Friday, March 22nd, Men’s Volleyball plays at Home v Linwood. Anyone want to guess where the Men’s Volleyball team plays its home matches?

Return to “Boys Basketball”