State Tourney Dilemma, Attendance

Pol pot
SE

Re: State Tourney Dilemma, Attendance

Post by Pol pot »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:13 pm How would they do the seating at the Convo? Would the administration guys and coaches get the lower bowl and the real fans get stuck up top?

Would be the reason they would never hold the Final Four at the Convo!
Well, for your information, lower level seating is going to open up at the Schott this year. As for Convo, there is only 2700 seats in the lower level, so I’m sure someone would complain about not getting a good seat and someone else getting one “they don’t deserve”.

And, no that is not the reason the games would not be at the Convo, lack of lodging would be the reason. The Convo would be the most profitable of any venue, and would do things right. Reason it’s the most used venue in the entire State of Ohio.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

No place around Convo for the RV park either.
I ventured back to that park once at the Schott, rest of the day was a blur. Smh

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm No place around Convo for the RV park either.
I ventured back to that park once at the Schott, rest of the day was a blur. Smh
Disagree, you had to shuttle to the RV lot at Schott, Athens has the same capability.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Pol pot wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:27 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm No place around Convo for the RV park either.
Disagree, you had to shuttle to the RV lot at Schott, Athens has the same capability.
Shuttle my a**
We walked! lol

SEFan
JV Team

Post by SEFan »

Hulk wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:49 pm
Pol pot wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:48 pm
SEFan wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:28 am

Why isn’t it available? I thought last year it might not have been because the Ohio State women were hosting 1st and 2nd round that same weekend, but that’s not a yearly thing.

On top of that, shouldn’t those NCAAs be at Nationwide or Schott? I believe I read the men are at Columbus this year for NCAA first and second round. Which depending on that price, might take fans away again.
Saint John arena is home to wrestling, gymnastics, fencing and then his use for other activities as well It’s not available because OSU has no place to put these sports and OSU has said NO to the OHSAA on this issue. Regardless of how badly some think these games should go back to St John areana, the owners of the facility have said NO. So, in light of that what do you expect the OHSAA to do? Just show up anyway????

Well I was going to ask the same question but glad I didn't now ,LOL.
Right! My bad! :shock:

LeftHanded
Freshman Team

Post by LeftHanded »

I wonder if they've considered the Columbus Convention Center. I'm sure they have it as a potential option. A little more centralized in Columbus and it has (if I'm not mistaken) the ability to change it's grand ballroom into an arena set up that holds around 16,000. I know they hold basketball games there every now and then.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

why not rotate it each year to each part of the state? in the north, south, east or west ? Have each area have different places "bid" on holding the finals.

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

I have not seen where there will be any TV coverage of the state tournament this year. Spectrum Sports did away with their sports channel late last year. If so I would suspect there will be a big attendance boost.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

9.5 INCHES wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:58 pm I have not seen where there will be any TV coverage of the state tournament this year. Spectrum Sports did away with their sports channel late last year. If so I would suspect there will be a big attendance boost.
Oh boy, that will set this board on flames!!!!! People can give all the reasons they want for declining attendance, but TV is the biggest factor! Why go to the game when you can watch at home for free?

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Lol. High sports attendance may never be what it used to be. State tournament week is into way too many other sports. Parents/kids and coaches just don’t go much anymore more for many different reasons. Still a great show !

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:40 am
9.5 INCHES wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:58 pm I have not seen where there will be any TV coverage of the state tournament this year. Spectrum Sports did away with their sports channel late last year. If so I would suspect there will be a big attendance boost.
Oh boy, that will set this board on flames!!!!! People can give all the reasons they want for declining attendance, but TV is the biggest factor! Why go to the game when you can watch at home for free?
I can honestly say I have never watched one single state tournament game on TV

If I'm in my recliner and it's between Berlin Highland vs St. Henry or Duke vs Michigan in the final 8 ... I'm probably watching March Madness.

But ,,, You're right, T.V. is a huge factor. For me, it's football. Why go to Canton and freeze my a** off when I can just watch it.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Re: State Tourney Delimna , Attendance

Post by Raiderball »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:06 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:15 pm Per usual, I will be in attendance. It is one of my favorite weekends of the year and I’d only miss it if tickets became hundreds of dollars.
It was mine also for around 30 years, not so much anymore. (Me and a few of my long time friends and acquaintances are in that 40-50% attendance drop club they speak of in the article).
Count me in that drop club too.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

E High wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:10 am Lol. High sports attendance may never be what it used to be. State tournament week is into way too many other sports. Parents/kids and coaches just don’t go much anymore more for many different reasons. Still a great show !
Agreed. The NCAA tourney is bringing in more money than ever now on that same weekend and starting with TV agreements between OHSAA and ONN years ago then STO and now Spectrum dropping their high school coverage sports channel, the horse has left the barn and isn't coming back. No TV coverage will not bring fans back to the Schott or Canton. Most will just regress to using the old standby radio coverage (albeit streaming nowadays) which has been around for 100+ years now.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

While I appreciate OHSAA attempting to take advantage of technology, I just can't bring myself to pay a 25% processing fee (ticket $6 + $1.52 processing fee).

Post by MC Noles SportsFan »

State tournament should stay at the Schott...these games are about the kids and the teams who make it to the final 4 and I'd say they want to play on the floor and in the building where the Buckeyes play...they aren't thinking about the atmosphere of St Johns or anywhere else.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

The Schott atmosphere stinks. Great venue but high school kids would quickly love St. Johns

Flyers58
Freshman Team

Post by Flyers58 »

Raiderball wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:21 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:15 pm Per usual, I will be in attendance. It is one of my favorite weekends of the year and I’d only miss it if tickets became hundreds of dollars.
It was mine also for around 30 years, not so much anymore. (Me and a few of my long time friends and acquaintances are in that 40-50% attendance drop club they speak of in the article).
I am joining that club as well.......getting too old for all that driving....

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Flyers58 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:47 am
Raiderball wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:21 pm

I am joining that club as well.......getting too old for all that driving....
It was a good ride for me over the years. I started following the state tourney with the Columbus East teams in late 60's when Bo Lamar (Southwestern Louisiana), Nick Connor (Illinois) and Ed Ratleff (Long Beach State) played ......

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 2v6I8AGxXs

and continued (except during my military time in mid to late 70's) up through and a little past the LeBron and then O.J. Mayo, Bill Walker years at Cincinnati North College Hill. Saw a lot of great SEO teams in tourney, Racine Southern, Ross Southeastern, Ironton, Wheelersburg , Belpre, Waverly, Chillicothe , South Webster, Reedsville Eastern, Oak Hill and Portsmouth. Off the top of my head at the Convo in district and regionals a few teams stand out other than the one's listed above. Columbus Walnut Ridge, Logan Elm, Geenfield McClain, Chesapeake, Gallipolis , Buckeye Trail and Ft. Frye were some of my favorites and this doesn't include the teams from true SWO mainly West of Rt 23 and the teams of true NEO that played down there with a few of these teams winning State such as Berlin Hiland , Strasburg and Indian Valley South and others Garaway, Carrollton, Dover, New Philadelphia, Lynchburg Clay, Peebles, White Oak and North Adams to name a few. Anyway, It's almost " Basketball :30" time at the Convo and good luck to all teams !!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

The girls last week drew a whopping grand total of 36,298 fannies in the seats for 12 games, an average of 3,025 per game with the DI, 2 and 3 Champs having the fewest fans. The boys this weekend will more than double that plus some but not by much. What would be a good over / under line this year for boys attendance ? I'd say 98,000 or so which would be the first time attendance has been below 100,000 in decades.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:43 am The girls last week drew a whopping grand total of 36,298 fannies in the seats for 12 games, an average of 3,025 per game with the DI, 2 and 3 Champs having the fewest fans. The boys this weekend will more than double that plus some but not by much. What would be a good over / under line this year for boys attendance ? I'd say 98,000 or so which would be the first time attendance has been below 100,000 in decades.
I brought back last years State Tournament thread for the attendance stats on the last page

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk

Return to “Boys Basketball”