Wheelersburg @ Valley, 2/15/19

burgfella69
JV Team

Wheelersburg @ Valley, 2/15/19

Post by burgfella69 »

The Burg squad closes out the regular season unbeaten in Valley's gym. 22-0, will face South Point/Meigs in the Sectional Finals @ Jackson on the 22nd to (have a chance to) advance to the Convo.
Burg-Valley prediction: 76-48
Valley will play Paint Valley in the Sectional Semis @ Waverly HS on the 18th. Will have to beat 7 seed Paint Valley and 2 seed Eastern Brown to advance to the Convo.

bigburgboy
Riding the Bench

Re: Wheelersburg @ Valley, 2/15/19

Post by bigburgboy »

Burg will get the job done and finish the regular season undefeated. Gonna have some high hopes heading into tourney time

Burg 74
Valley 41

Good luck to all SOC teams in sectionals this upcoming week

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

When is the last time burg finished the regular season undefeated and how far did they make it

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Sometime in the mid 70s they had a perfect season as well as the 87-88 season.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

4thgoal wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:35 pm Sometime in the mid 70s they had a perfect season as well as the 87-88 season.
How far did they go

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:49 pm
4thgoal wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:35 pm Sometime in the mid 70s they had a perfect season as well as the 87-88 season.
How far did they go
The 1976 team went 18-0 regular season and lost in the regional finals to Wellsville I think.

The 1988 team went 20-0 regular season and I think they lost in the regionals as well. Not sure though.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Wheelersburg 29
Valley 17

Halftime

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Burg comes out on fire and are up 41-21 now mid 3rd

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

End of 3rd

Wheelersburg 52
Valley 32

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Final

Wheelersburg 16 - 13 - 23 - 16 = 68
Valley 10 - 7 - 15 - 12 = 44

Burg
SHT 13/29 45%
3's 11/24 46%
FT's 7/12 53%
TO's 7
Didn't give rebounds for either team or players

Holden 15
Mullins 12
Darnell 12, four 3's in second half. Three in 3rd
Pruitt 9
J Salyers 9
T Salyers 8
Miller 5

Valley
SHT 17/32 53%
3's 1/18 5.5%
FT's 7/12 58%
TO's 12

Cunningham 12
Zaylor 10
Mitchell 8
Moylett 6
Shope 4
Bell 2
Stewart 3

These are radio stats, not mine.

StolenTalents12
Freshman Team

Post by StolenTalents12 »

I really think Burg with the team they knew they had coming in should have scheduled up a bit knowing their league wasn’t very strong. There was really only 1 game on that schedule that I believe they shouldn’t have won by 20. They’re so use to playing these blow out games, other than the Jackson game. How are these kids going to respond to close/grind out games later in the tourney. They have the talent but does this group of kids this year have the experience to grind out close games against much better teams than they have seen all season.

On another note, great season burg! Not trying to bring anyone down I was just looking at their schedule and wanted to give my input. Sometimes scheduling better teams can benefit you in the long run, I’ve seen it the last 5-6 years at Fairland. They schedule some teams that no one gives them a shot against and sometimes they play them very close or when them & sometimes they get blown out. Either way it’s a learning experience and you learn so much more about your team in those games.

Good luck though! Once my dragons are eliminated I’ll be
Rooting for ya!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

You do realize schedules are made up a few years in advance.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

StolenTalents12 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:25 am I really think Burg with the team they knew they had coming in should have scheduled up a bit knowing their league wasn’t very strong. There was really only 1 game on that schedule that I believe they shouldn’t have won by 20. They’re so use to playing these blow out games, other than the Jackson game. How are these kids going to respond to close/grind out games later in the tourney. They have the talent but does this group of kids this year have the experience to grind out close games against much better teams than they have seen all season.

On another note, great season burg! Not trying to bring anyone down I was just looking at their schedule and wanted to give my input. Sometimes scheduling better teams can benefit you in the long run, I’ve seen it the last 5-6 years at Fairland. They schedule some teams that no one gives them a shot against and sometimes they play them very close or when them & sometimes they get blown out. Either way it’s a learning experience and you learn so much more about your team in those games.

Good luck though! Once my dragons are eliminated I’ll be
Rooting for ya!
I agree
It wasn’t to far of a stretch a couple years back to think this years team was going to be pretty solid.

StolenTalents12
Freshman Team

Post by StolenTalents12 »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:01 am You do realize schedules are made up a few years in advance.
Yes sometimes they are. Not always but I know you can only play the games on your schedule.
I was just thinking they knew they were going to be a pretty tough team 2 years ago. Holden is the best player in southern Ohio. But Burg hasn’t really played anyone that can take him away and make the rest of the team beat them.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

StolenTalents12 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:18 am
Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:01 am You do realize schedules are made up a few years in advance.
Yes sometimes they are. Not always but I know you can only play the games on your schedule.
I was just thinking they knew they were going to be a pretty tough team 2 years ago. Holden is the best player in southern Ohio. But Burg hasn’t really played anyone that can take him away and make the rest of the team beat them.
They did that years ago when they had cam miller

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I think it is just a coaching philosophy. Some coaches like to schedule tough non-league games and some coaches believe in playing easier non-league games. It can work either way. Coach Persin has always played an easier non-league schedule and his record speaks for itself. You can’t argue with a State Title. I believe Coach Ater played for Coach Persin at Chesapeake. Maybe he believes in a easier non-league schedule. 10 years from now nobody is going to remember who they played. They are going to remember a perfect season. Congrats on the perfect regular season!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

JTEK wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:34 am
StolenTalents12 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:18 am
They did that years ago when they had cam miller

The only real non-league foe they played that year was Greenfield McClain and Dante Jackson. They lost on a long three pointer by Jackson at the buzzer.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

There are schools now making their schedules for next year. Schedules can easily be manipulated if needed. Don’t use that as an excuse on why Burg didn’t schedule up with Holden.

If they believe that scheduling up doesn’t matter, then that’s fine, but don’t act like they are locked in for years in advance.

Wburgfan
Waterboy

Post by Wburgfan »

Let me play devils advocate for a second. What if they did try. It teams refused to play them due to their skill level? They traveled 4 plus hours for a holiday tournament this year because they couldn’t get teams to play them.

To get the right schedule it has to work for both teams. It’s very difficult a year in advance to get that taken care of with conference schedules already set. It limits open dates for both teams to match and be able to play. You also are hoping the team you schedule will be good the year you play them. A good example is what Burg did in football. Scheduled Heath who went undefeated the year before but then was very down the year the Pirates played.

Maybe they could have got a game or two with tougher opponents but sometimes is a crapshoot. We can discuss this until we are blue in the face but it’s a difficult thing to align with year after year.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

Jackson has to play 14 away games just 8 at home. We will see if it pays off.? I’m kinda glad Yates missed his shot you all deserve the win! It just would have been a tragedy to lose at home to my Ironmen. See you all in a few months now 30 some days to spring. Again congrats on a perfect season!

Return to “Boys Basketball”