Eastern pike has won 20 straight games. How far can they go in the tourney??

Prime Time
All State

Re: Eastern pike has won 20 straight games. How far can they go in the tourney??

Post by Prime Time »

Congrats to Eastern and a long tournament run. Coach Barrick is one of the best Coachs in entire state of Ohio. One of only 3-4 great Coachs in Southern Ohio. Howie, Norm,Gene and Tom the best of the best. These guys are legends in there particular communitys and has tasted great success with different style of teams. These guys are Winners and great examples of young men growing up. Eastern should be very grateful for the great Coach on the bench. Good Luck to Coach Barrick and the Eastern Eagles.

E High
All State

Re: Eastern pike has won 20 straight games. How far can they go in the tourney??

Post by E High »

Been a few more but they’re great !

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Watson45 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:19 am
AnkleBraces wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:14 am After seeing both teams. I wouldn't want to see Chesapeake if I was Eastern.
Haha. When did you see eastern? Against oak hill?
I have seen 2-3 in person and almost every game on video. I would just be concerned with their depth. They are great team, but they have won almost every close game this year and played in a down SOC 1 this year. Chesapeake is in a much tougher league, so it's hard to compare records. See you at the game!

OSU Alumni 2000
Riding the Bench

Post by OSU Alumni 2000 »

AnkleBraces wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:04 pm
AnkleBraces wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:14 am After seeing both teams. I wouldn't want to see Chesapeake if I was Eastern.
I have seen 2-3 in person and almost every game on video. I would just be concerned with their depth. They are great team, but they have won almost every close game this year and played in a down SOC 1 this year. Chesapeake is in a much tougher league, so it's hard to compare records. See you at the game!
I would almost agree with you somewhat about playing Chesapeake, but sooner or later, they have to play a good team.
Eastern is a team that can look sloppy. Even in some of their quality wins, they've looked sloppy. But they somehow find a way to win ballgames.
I also believe we haven't seen what this team is potentially capable of. At times, shot selection and ball movement are a major weakness. There have been several games, where Eastern should have buried some good teams and failed to do so. On the contrary, there have been times where eastern has been behind double digits late in games and won. They risen up to challenges and proved they have what it takes to win. They are a team that has experienced every possible game situation against solid teams which I think will play a big factor in the tournament play.

As far as SOC1, I don't find that the league is down. About like the past 3 years or so. 3 or 4 very good teams. New Boston, Green, and Western are all very tough. New Boston and Green should make very good tournament runs, but unfortunately, Either Eastern or Western will have a short road regardless.

Old Dog 98
Waterboy

Post by Old Dog 98 »

I find their fans to be very low class! Had one fan ejected during the game against Wellston and continue to taunt one of their players, just a kid! Sad!

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

Sorry to say, but there are a lot of fan bases that have "low" class fans! Majority of people are great, just those 5% that make everyone else look bad. Administrations start cracking down on these few fans maybe it will get better. JMO

Waverly69
Waterboy

Post by Waverly69 »

Old Dog 98 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:08 pm I find their fans to be very low class! Had one fan ejected during the game against Wellston and continue to taunt one of their players, just a kid! Sad!
He had it coming for him, the kid was a punk

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Old Dog 98 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:08 pm I find their fans to be very low class! Had one fan ejected during the game against Wellston and continue to taunt one of their players, just a kid! Sad!
So you are classifying an entire fan base, because 1 fan was ejected?? Interesting way to judge others that you have going on there. I've seen games where fans were ejected from West, Oak Hill, Burg, Waverly, Valley, East just to name a few over the years, but to say I'm going to lump everyone in one box calling them "very low class" is a pretty classless move. An over zealous fan here and there isn't going to make me or should make anyone look down on an entire fan base. In the end I guess your statement is pretty low class and just sad. Should the fan be taunting a player, no, but unfortunately it happens a lot and a lot of people get caught up in the moment especially if people have witnessed the player acting in poor sportsmanship to the other team.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

OSU Alumni 2000 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:53 pm

I would almost agree with you somewhat about playing Chesapeake, but sooner or later, they have to play a good team.
Eastern is a team that can look sloppy. Even in some of their quality wins, they've looked sloppy. But they somehow find a way to win ballgames.
I also believe we haven't seen what this team is potentially capable of. At times, shot selection and ball movement are a major weakness. There have been several games, where Eastern should have buried some good teams and failed to do so. On the contrary, there have been times where eastern has been behind double digits late in games and won. They risen up to challenges and proved they have what it takes to win. They are a team that has experienced every possible game situation against solid teams which I think will play a big factor in the tournament play.

As far as SOC1, I don't find that the league is down. About like the past 3 years or so. 3 or 4 very good teams. New Boston, Green, and Western are all very tough. New Boston and Green should make very good tournament runs, but unfortunately, Either Eastern or Western will have a short road regardless.
The bottom four has less than 20 wins combined and that counts the wins against each other. 8 easier wins for the teams you mentioned. Let’s watch it play out. I’m just not sold on EP

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

AnkleBraces wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:56 pm
OSU Alumni 2000 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:53 pm

The bottom four has less than 20 wins combined and that counts the wins against each other. 8 easier wins for the teams you mentioned. Let’s watch it play out. I’m just not sold on EP
I guess if we're just talking about their standings within the conference that is one thing, but let's not forget Eastern Pike did defeat a very good Fairland team, took down Waverly at Waverly, Africentric at home convincingly, Valley and Minford 2 teams in SOC2, so only teams left from SOC2 they didn't beat was West, which they'd handle with ease and an undefeated Burg team. So given their schedule of playing both SOC1 & 2 teams I think they've more than earned where they are, even if you're not sold on them because they didn't blowout teams. It is the tourney and anything can happen

EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

They also beat a pretty solid Esstern Brown team on the road. With the style of ball this team plays they're not going to blow the doors off of teams.

EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

What good wins does Chesapeke have for the year? Looked like a fairly easy non conference schedule to me.

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

I stand corrected. Watched Chesapeake last night. They are a darn good team. Possibly the best matchup with eastern yet. That was a good call. This may be easterns toughest game yet. They will have to play 4 good to beat them. That freshman guard is a baller. Should be a great game.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Watson45 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:04 am

I stand corrected. Watched Chesapeake last night. They are a darn good team. Possibly the best matchup with eastern yet. That was a good call. This may be easterns toughest game yet. They will have to play 4 good to beat them. That freshman guard is a baller. Should be a great game.
Thanks. I agree is it a very good matchup. If Eastern handles the 2-2-1 pressure I think they will still win, but my whole point was Chesapeake has the guys to guard Miller and contain Leist.

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

Yep. You are right. Now belpre was pretty bad. But that half court trap is pretty brutal. Excited to watch this one.

I can admit when I was wrong haha.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I think it is very hard to compare Chesapeake’s schedule to Eastern’s schedule. I think Chesapeake’s league is much tougher than Eastern. Yes .... Eastern has a great record but the OVC might be the best league in southern Ohio. 2nd place in the OVC (Ironton) took 1st place SVC (Zane Trace) to the wire. And I’m a big SVC fan.

But looking at both schedules I think Eastern might have played a better non-league schedule. Who know! The main thing is the Jackson Sectional Finals are shaping up to be one of the best in the state.

OSU Alumni 2000
Riding the Bench

Post by OSU Alumni 2000 »

AnkleBraces wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:17 am

Thanks. I agree is it a very good matchup. If Eastern handles the 2-2-1 pressure I think they will still win, but my whole point was Chesapeake has the guys to guard Miller and contain Leist.
But do they have guys than can contain Weaver and Cochenour. Weaver is probably our leading scoring over the past 6 or 7 games and Cochenour is a pure shooter that can get hot anytime.
But I wouldn't be surprised of any outcome from this game. If Leist has solid night on the Point and distributes the ball like he is capable of, then I can see this being a 10-15pt victory for the Eagles.

EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

What's great about Eastern is you have 4 players that are capable of getting 20 on any given night. If we come out to a good start and play good team ball I'll take the Eagles by 12.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I think Eastern handles the pressure just fine, it's a senior heavy team so you're not going to surprise them with it. Leist has probably seen every pressure possible and even with Waverly's pressure defense with Remington he was still able to handle it very well. Think this could be a really good game but what'll be interesting is if Leist is able to break the press at that point it's going to speed up the pace and get Eastern easy looks. So I guess it comes down to will the press work well enough to stay in it or will Eastern beat it enough to make Peake get out of it and play more halfcourt.

Watson45
Riding the Bench

Post by Watson45 »

greygoose wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:33 pm

I think Eastern handles the pressure just fine, it's a senior heavy team so you're not going to surprise them with it. Leist has probably seen every pressure possible and even with Waverly's pressure defense with Remington he was still able to handle it very well. Think this could be a really good game but what'll be interesting is if Leist is able to break the press at that point it's going to speed up the pace and get Eastern easy looks. So I guess it comes down to will the press work well enough to stay in it or will Eastern beat it enough to make Peake get out of it and play more halfcourt.
Good point. Looked they had 2 shooters that were pretty consistent. Leist will give the 1 all he can and it looked like Clemmons can work the other. He has shut down some good shooters this year. Miller and weaver on their 2 bigs and cochenour doing his thing. Should be a good one.

Return to “Boys Basketball”