Varsity

Oak Hill @ Waverly 2/12

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Thoughts??

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Oak Hill @ Waverly 2/12

Post by Ironman92 »

Like so many other teams, depends on which Waverly team shows up. I’d like to think their guards win the guard matchup and control the game but Waverly virtually gave up vs Burg, played game of year vs Jackson and then followed with an egg at Minford....so by that they are due to play well.

I look for Waverly to win by 12-16 but if Norm controls tempo it could be a 2-4 point nail biter

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

This game is for 2nd place in the SOC2. Winner gets a couple more players recognized on the all conference teams. Oak Hill has won 6 in a row and seem to be more consistent right now, but Waverly already won @ OH, so this should be a close one. If Waverly hits their free throws, they win by 6, but if they continue with the near 50% from the line, they lose by 8.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

4thgoal wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:00 pm This game is for 2nd place in the SOC2. Winner gets a couple more players recognized on the all conference teams. Oak Hill has won 6 in a row and seem to be more consistent right now, but Waverly already won @ OH, so this should be a close one. If Waverly hits their free throws, they win by 6, but if they continue with the near 50% from the line, they lose by 8.
Lol that’s a lot of free throws

So if they go 29/30 they win by 6....if they go 15/30 they lose by 8. Are there other combos?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:03 pm
4thgoal wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:00 pm This game is for 2nd place in the SOC2. Winner gets a couple more players recognized on the all conference teams. Oak Hill has won 6 in a row and seem to be more consistent right now, but Waverly already won @ OH, so this should be a close one. If Waverly hits their free throws, they win by 6, but if they continue with the near 50% from the line, they lose by 8.
Lol that’s a lot of free throws

So if they go 29/30 they win by 6....if they go 15/30 they lose by 8. Are there other combos?
LOL....just an estimate, but you get the point

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

As Ironman said, it's kind of been one day on, next night off for the Tigers this year. So, like him, I look for the Tigers to play well tonight. It's senior night, so I expect an emotional team to come out of the tunnel. I'm going to chalk Minford down to the post-Jackson letdown. We played an emotional/physical game with the Ironmen, and I think the Tigers thought they could just show up and get it done against the Falcons. The JV team and varsity both came out lethargic vs. the Falcons, and it almost cost us (the JV team did in fact lose for only the third time I believe). Hopefully we have a nice crowd come out tonight as these seniors say goodbye to Hawhee's Palace.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

I think this one is going to be close, but I believe the Tigers find a way to win on senior night. Since seeding and the league have already been determined, this game essentially doesn't matter on paper. But this game does mean a lot to these kids, coaches, and fans. I think the Tigers need to play well and build more confidence going into the tournament. The Tigers did not shoot well vs Minford, so hopefully they are able to get them to fall tonight. Easton played a great game Friday, would be nice if he can maintain that starting tonight. Oak Hill will be looking to get revenge on their early season loss at home to Waverly, and you know Norm will have them ready to play. At this point in the season you want your team to be hitting on all cylinders.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... my concern in this one is that I have felt after watching Oak Hill that their "achilles heel" is they don't have a true PG to handle pressure on the perimeter ... imo pressure on the ball, on the perimeter is the way to attack Oak Hill - IF there IS a TEAM who can put that kind of pressure on any team on the perimeter it is Waverly ... Remmington is as good , as quick defensively as you will find in high school hoops I don't care where you go in search of in the state LOL ... the kid plays D, as does the other Tigers ... 32 minutes of pressure I see wearing done Oak Hill ... with that said I have said THIS all season ! BUT Oak Hill, the Oak Hill players have proven me wrong LOL ... looking forward to reading the recaps tonight ! safe travels to all , it should be a "barn burner" ! ...

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly without the services of big man Tanner Smallwood who is sick. Will hurt the Tiger depth, especially in the paint.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

HALFTIME
Oak Hill 35
Waverly 31

Hammond with 18
Hanning with 12, put back at buzzer to make 4.

Wolfe leads Waverly with 13.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

For those wondering, 5 fouls first half
3 Waverly, 2 Oak Hill.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

FINAL
Waverly 63
Oak Hill 56

Stats later when I get home...

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Great TEAM win by the Tigers tonight!! And congratulations to all the seniors on playing your final game in Tigertown!! Keep the momentum rolling before the tourney boys

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

Great game, Waverly will be a problem in the tourney for sure. At the end of the day Waverly had 7 or 8 kids miles more athletic than anyone Oak Hill had and it showed

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

3sUp wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:12 pm Great game, Waverly will be a problem in the tourney for sure. At the end of the day Waverly had 7 or 8 kids miles more athletic than anyone Oak Hill had and it showed
Guard play is what drives a team. Not the best player on the court.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Oak Hill lead 21-17 after one (Hammond with 12 & Hanning 7 / Shanks 7 & Wolfe 6)
Oak Hill lead 35-31 at the break (Hammon 6 in the 2nd / Wolfe 7)
Waverly lead 50-45 after three (Marquez 8 / Hammond 6)
Waverly 63-56 Final (Dunn 4 in the 4th / Darby 4)

Oak Hill jumped out 5-0 and was up 21-14 when Haydn’ Shanks hit a three at the buzzer to cut the lead to 21-17 after one.
Oak Hill stretched the lead to 8 in the 2nd at 27-19 with 6:29 but threes by Robertson and Wolfe cut it to 29-25 with 4:29 to play in the half. Traded baskets and the Oak Hilllead was at 35-31 at the break.

After traded baskets to start the 3rd, Marquez hit a three to cut the Oak Hill lead to 1 at 36-37 with 6:02. Remington then added a basket to give Waverly the 1 point lead at 38-37 with 5:31 prompting an Oak Hill timeout.
With 3:34 of the 3rd Marquez hit his 2nd three of the period to give the Tigers a 46-41 lead.
After a Tiger bucket and a couple Oak Hill scores Waverly stood near the half court line running the clock down from the 1:36 mark. That paid off for the Tigers as Easton Wolfe made good on the last second shot and Waverly lead 50-45 going into the final frame (Marquez with the big spark in the 3rd with all of his 8 points in the period and an increased defensive pressure by the Tigers).
Oak Hill cut it to 50-48 early in the period. Some missed FT’s by Waverly (6:50) and a missed shot by Oak Hill (4:41) before a bucket by Remington with 4:23 to play - Waverly up 52-48.
Oak Hill turned the ball over with 3:38 to play and then with 2:59 Darby hit 1 of 2 from the line to cut the Waverly lead to 52-49.
With 2:15 to play Wolfe scored and was fouled. He missed the FT and Waverly lead 54-49.
Waverly got the ball back and called timeout with 1:46 to play. Dunn scored with 1:39 to play to make it 56-49 and Oak Hill was tiring.
Remington was fouled with 1:25 to go and went to the line shooting the one and one. Cody made both to extend the end to 58-49.
Wolfe was fouled with 1:12 to play and hit the first but missed the second, Waverlylead by 10 at 59-49.
Darby came down and hit a three with 1:00 and an Oak Hill timeout down 59-52.
With .57 to play Darby fouled out sending Dunn to the line. Ethan made both to extend the lead back to 9 at 61-52.
Hammond scored with .38 to play to make it 61-54.
Robertson was fouled with .28 to play and Trey made both to extend it back to 9 at 63-54.
Hammond was fouled with .13 to play and made one - Waverly 63-55.
Waverly with a travel with .11 to stop the clock to get the Seniors off the floor.
Hammond was fouled with 5.8 to play and made 1 of the 2 form the 63-56 FINAL

WAVERLY SCORING
Easton Wolfe 20 (13 first half)
Trey Robertson 11
Cody Remington 10 (8 second half)
Cobe Marquez 8 (all 3rd period)
Haydn Shanks 7 (all first period)
Ethan Dunn 5 (all second half)
Will Futhey 2
Waverly was 10-15 from the line (all second half)

OAK HILL SCORING
Chase Hammond 28 (18 first half)
Drew Hanning 17 (12 first half)
Mason Darby 11
Oak Hill was 8-13 from the line

Pretty much a mirror image of the game at Oak Hill where the Tigers wore down the Oaks.
Waverly with a great first half from Wolfe and big minutes from Shanks and Futhey in the first period with 9 of the Tigers points keeping it close while Oak Hill was still fresh. Wolfe with 7 and Robertson with 5 in the 2nd period to keep the Tigers within 4 going into the break.
Remington, Marquez & Dunn stepped up their scoring in the 2nd half, 21 of their 23 points came in the 2nd half.
Waverly picked up the intensity and pressure in the second half creating turnovers and just wore them down.

Waverly with 2nd place in the SOC2 looking to close the regular season out with a win at West on Friday.

Nice win over a good Oak Hill team for the last game these Seniors will play in the Downtown Arena:
Ethan Dunn
Landon Hoover
Cobe Marquez
Cody Remington
Easton Wolfe

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

wobycat wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:17 pm
3sUp wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:12 pm Great game, Waverly will be a problem in the tourney for sure. At the end of the day Waverly had 7 or 8 kids miles more athletic than anyone Oak Hill had and it showed
You’re right, Waverly has great and athletic guards. I was complimenting them not discounting them by saying they were athletic

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

3sUp wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:47 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:17 pm
You’re right, Waverly has great and athletic guards. I was complimenting them not discounting them by saying they were athletic
I agree with you. They are good. Oak Hill isn’t strong in guard play.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

How many times did the Tigers turn the Oaks over ?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I wasn't at the game, caught the wrap-up on the radio. The radio guys said Waverly ended with 7 turnovers, that Oak Hill had 18 turnovers. They said that the big turnaround happened in the first 3-4 min of the 3rd Qtr, when OH had 5 straight TO in a row. Wasn't there, just what I heard on the Wrap-up.

Return to “Boys Basketball”