No more championship Saturday?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

No more championship Saturday?

Post by 93Bulldog »

I remember once upon a time you drove to the Convo about 10AM and could watch all the best teams square off in a full day of championship basketball. D2 district title game at noon, DIV at 2:00 and 4:00, and then the D3 teams capped it off at 6:00 and 8:00.

This year you will see all the district championship games spread out over three days.

DIV will take place March 7th
DIII finals are March 9th
DII finals are the 10th

Flyers58
Freshman Team

Re: No more championship Saturday?

Post by Flyers58 »

It is called the almighty dollar.............

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'm not sure it will help - or hurt actually - in terms of attendance.

Fans of each team will show up regardless what day or time it is. That's a given.
But some of your pure basketball fans in and around southeast Ohio are not going to drive to Athens three different days.
What is going to hurt worse than anything is the days in which the games are on. The Thursday DIV games will be lucky to fill the lower bowl. The Friday DIII games should draw an ok crowd. Sunday DII? That is going to be interesting. Could go wither way, but it won't draw as big of crowd if it was Friday night like its been the last few years.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:24 am I remember once upon a time you drove to the Convo about 10AM and could watch all the best teams square off in a full day of championship basketball. D2 district title game at noon, DIV at 2:00 and 4:00, and then the D3 teams capped it off at 6:00 and 8:00.

This year you will see all the district championship games spread out over three days.

DIV will take place March 7th
DIII finals are March 9th
DII finals are the 10th
...93bulldog, are the dates for the Regional games at the Convo to be found somewhere ? I can't seem to find these other than they are March 11-16 ... trying to nail down what days and what regional games I will be able to go see that week ... I have commitments on 2 days (3/12 - I have blood draws/CT scans/oncologist appointment at the James in C'bus all day ... Thursday 3/14 - school related activity that evening) ... might only get to see the regional finals on the weekend ...

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

Regional Dates

D-II: Semis Thursday March 14 (6:15p and 8:00p); Finals Saturday March 16 (3:00p)

D-III: Semis Wednesday March 13 (6:15p and 8:00p); Finals Saturday March 16 (7:00p)

D-IV: Semis Tuesday March 12 (6:15p and 8:00p); Finals Friday March 15 (7:00p)

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

Reason for the split of the the District Championship Games is because Ohio University has a home Women's Basketball game at 1:00p on Saturday 3/9.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

socfan wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 am Regional Dates

D-II: Semis Thursday March 14 (6:15p and 8:00p); Finals Saturday March 16 (3:00p)

D-III: Semis Wednesday March 13 (6:15p and 8:00p); Finals Saturday March 16 (7:00p)

D-IV: Semis Tuesday March 12 (6:15p and 8:00p); Finals Friday March 15 (7:00p)
... thanks socfan ! greatly appreciated - I can complete my post season hoops calendar for the "3 Weeks of the Convo" ... I don't think I will be back from the James Tuesday 3/12 to get to Athens for games , and definitely not on Thursday 3/14 ... so it looks like:

D3's on Wednesday 2gms /Saturday 1gm
D2 Saturday 1 gm
D4 Friday night 1gm
--------------------------------------------------------
5 regional games

... I just plotted out the Sectional games/District games I plan to attend : 31 sectional/district games + 5 regional games= 36 post season games ... unless we get a team from SEOhio to C'bus I don't go to the State Tournament ...

Going to need another napkin stat book and a half to finish out the last week of the regular season and the sectional/district/regional lineup ... that will give me 75 varsity games "in the books" so to speak for the 2018-19 campaign ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Reasons for the split over three days and not doing all the championship games on Sunday is due to 1) there's an ou home game on Friday 2) there's an ou home game on Saturday and 3) if we had all of the games on Sunday, whoever advanced in Division 4 would only have one day to prepare for the regional and we wanted to allow 3-4 days of prep time for all of the divisions

- per se district member

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:40 am Reasons for the split over three days and not doing all the championship games on Sunday is due to 1) there's an ou home game on Friday 2) there's an ou home game on Saturday and 3) if we had all of the games on Sunday, whoever advanced in Division 4 would only have one day to prepare for the regional and we wanted to allow 3-4 days of prep time for all of the divisions

- per se district member
... tell your SEDAB connection - Tootsie Rolls in the Hospitality Room - please ... :P

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Flyers58 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:52 am It is called the almighty dollar.............
The all day was a treat for many years down there where a few of us old friends that were and are still scattered around the state or region could get together, watch games, get a bite to eat, drink and reminisce and watch basketball games all day long . What seemed to be a good thing has fallen apart the last few years, as even with paying for split sessions wasn't enough later it's now all screwed up as Flyers58 said for the almighty dollar. With that being said, another tradition bit the dust. :(

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:15 pm
Flyers58 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:52 am It is called the almighty dollar.............
The all day was a treat for many years down there where a few of us old friends that were and are still scattered around the state or region could get together, watch games, get a bite to eat, drink and reminisce and watch basketball games all day long . What seemed to be a good thing has fallen apart the last few years, as even with paying for split sessions wasn't enough later it's now all screwed up as Flyers58 said for the almighty dollar. With that being said, another tradition bit the dust. :(
The all day was always such a treat, something that most basketball fans all around SEO really looked forward to. I think it's probably the driving 3 different days , even more so than the money for the tickets.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The OU women play on Saturday

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:15 pm
It is not the dollar, but the OU mens and womens teams playing in the Convo Friday night and Saturday afternoon. Does it cost seodab more money that way to have sessions 3 different days? And then they probably take in less money total missing the prime days to play.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

It stinks, but just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. OU can’t really do anything about the schedule they get from the MAC

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

We are the luckiest district in the state that we get to play at that type of venue.It is every little boy's dream to get to play in the Convo. Sometimes due to scheduling conflicts with OU it has to be divided up like it is this year. Don't complain just enjoy the time you all are there. Remember it is for the kids and not the adults.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:07 pm We are the luckiest district in the state that we get to play at that type of venue.It is every little boy's dream to get to play in the Convo. Sometimes due to scheduling conflicts with OU it has to be divided up like it is this year. Don't complain just enjoy the time you all are there. Remember it is for the kids and not the adults.
Nobody is really complaining.
Just commenting about how cool it use to be when all games were on one day.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

I agree that we are very lucky when the games get to be on one day, extremely cheap and a great venue to watch games.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... have to look at the fact that being able to have both the district & regional games ALL at such a great venue as the Convo makes the drives whether that is to a one day event or a 3 day event worth it in my book - even if most of MY book is pictures LOL ... I always plan for the 3 weeks of the Convo as it is the Mecca of SE Ohio hoops in my picture book ... there are so few teams who get beyond the districts, or regional play - having "getting to the Convo, getting to Basketball 30, getting to play on the big floor/dress in the college dressing rooms - has to be a great experience for the teams, the players, the coaches, the schools - AND THAT ONLY HAPPENS IN THE SE DISTRICT ... 1 day or 3 days - pfloyd IS in the house ! EVEN with the $4.50 drinks, $8.00 personal size pizza's - it's all about the time of the year, the event I affectionately call "the 3 Weeks of the Convo" ...

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

The Regionals are even worse. If anyone wants to take in all the games at the Convo nowadays they would have to travel Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and also Saturday with that being 2 different paying sessions @ 3 and 7. In all a person would be paying for 6 tickets, 5 parking fees along with travel time and gas for 5 days let alone having 5 free days in a row to do this. I figured a total cost of a little over $200 , 13 or 14 hours driving back & forth (approx. 800 miles total) and 5 days of free time for myself driving from Columbus. I love my high school sports and tourneys but this is a little much for this casual fan and longtime tourney goer. :(

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Really? what an asinine statement! Maybe its because the actual occupant and owner of the building has their own contest that need played.

March 8th OHIO basketball takes on Miami at 7:00 PM

March 9th OHIO women's basketball takes on Bowling Green at 1:00 PM

The District Athletic Board tried to get the University to play their games at the Athens Rec Center, but for some reason they were not willing to do so. Maybe next year people will consult with experts on this board before they set schedules.

Return to “Boys Basketball”