2019 Southeast District -- Official Seeding/Brackets (Div II, III & IV) Updates and Scores Thread

Hoopie74
SEOP

Re: 2019 Southeast District -- Official Seeding/Brackets (Div II, III & IV) Updates and Scores Thread

Post by Hoopie74 »

BallDontLie wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:57 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:57 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:49 pm All things considered, I think all the brackets look right. The coaches did a good job this year.
Clay over Whiteoak is silly but maybe Whiteoak preferred it that way
In D3 and D4 brackets shac schools were capable of avoiding each other. For some teams like peebles and Whiteoak they avoid playing each other a 3rd time. Could be good strategy to get more representation in the convo but it does lead to tough matchups such as Whiteoak’s path playing Green. It will be interesting to see what Kibler prepares for these upcoming games.
If Whiteoak can get that first round win, it would get Hamilton in better shape and if that is the case,then I believe Whiteoak matches up very well with Green.
Clay's coach was scouting Peebles over the weekend ,so I believe he likes his position . Peebles has been working on some wrinkles in the past few weeks, and the reserves are clones of the varsity. Peebles is definitely deeper as a team now and stressing defense. Games this week vs Ripley and finishing with Fairfield at Fairfield will have the Indians ready for the one and done. #dontsleepontheSHAC

beaverlover
SE

Re: 2019 Southeast District -- Official Seeding/Brackets (Div II, III & IV) Updates and Scores Thread

Post by beaverlover »

Hoopie74 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:53 am
BallDontLie wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:57 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:57 pm

Clay over Whiteoak is silly but maybe Whiteoak preferred it that way
In D3 and D4 brackets shac schools were capable of avoiding each other. For some teams like peebles and Whiteoak they avoid playing each other a 3rd time. Could be good strategy to get more representation in the convo but it does lead to tough matchups such as Whiteoak’s path playing Green. It will be interesting to see what Kibler prepares for these upcoming games.
If Whiteoak can get that first round win, it would get Hamilton in better shape and if that is the case,then I believe Whiteoak matches up very well with Green.
Clay's coach was scouting Peebles over the weekend ,so I believe he likes his position . Peebles has been working on some wrinkles in the past few weeks, and the reserves are clones of the varsity. Peebles is definitely deeper as a team now and stressing defense. Games this week vs Ripley and finishing with Fairfield at Fairfield will have the Indians ready for the one and done. #dontsleepontheSHAC
I wouldn't say Clay coach likes his position.Clay is a pretty big underdog against Coach Areys Indians,He did pretty much know he'd be playing Green or Peebles and since he knows Conference foe Green very well, Peebles was the team to scout. Whiteoak vs Green should be a dandy
Last edited by beaverlover on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Added Regional Semi's/Finals and State Semi's/Finals dates & times to brackets.

Post by burgfella69 »

The Wheelersburg-Fairland District Final possibility is very interesting... Fairland is very dangerous but they have to play two good teams in Alexander and Eastern Brown before the District Finals. However, good overall draw for the Pirates. They get to play a South Point team they've already blown out this season (or a 9 seeded Meigs team) and play North Adams or Piketon (more than likely) at the Convo. If the Pirates can survive the District rounds, they'll play the East district in the semis, which means they won't see Harvest Prep until the Regional Finals (if they win), which gives Eastern Pike a chance to eliminate them first. Probably the best and most lucky Burg coulda asked for/gotten.

Hawks1112
Varsity

Post by Hawks1112 »

Wonder why the southeast brackets are not up yet on the ohsaa website

Hawks1112
Varsity

Post by Hawks1112 »

Whoops i just seen another posted topic about it

Tigersfan2019
Waterboy

Post by Tigersfan2019 »

Just love how Wheelersburg has a cup cake walk to the District finals...

Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

Thats what being undefeated gets ya?

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

being number two in the state, untouched the regular season, yep, thats what you earn, it wasnt handed to them, but getting the job done in the one and done world, is a very difficult task

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Tigersfan2019 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:49 pm Just love how Wheelersburg has a cup cake walk to the District finals...
Who do you want them to face? Fairland in sectional then Eastern Brown and Eastern Pike in in districts? End result would be the same.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Wheelersburg deserved the 1 seed and the route they have due to their regular season success. Their path is justified.

A district final against Fairland would be quite the matchup.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

I may be the only one with this opinion but I think if you get to the end of the regular season undefeated, it is a scheduling fail on the part of the AD/Coach. The regular season is the time to test your team against teams that are better than you. ie strength of schedule.

Below are the teams that won state titles (in the past 10 yrs) after going undefeated in regular season.
  • 2015 D-IV New Madison
    2014 D-IV Convoy Crestview
    2012 D-II Dayton Dunbar
    2008 D-IV New Knoxville
Most state champs have multiple (2+) regular season loses.
Last edited by Tri-StateYouthSports on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by SPfan4LIFE »

We will see if its a "cupcake walk." Goes to show that none of you all were at the SP vs Burg game at Burg, we gave them all they wanted and some. They were lucky we played at Burg or they might have a loss.

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 am I may be the only one with this opinion but I think if you get to the end of the regular season undefeated, it is a scheduling fail on the part of the AD/Coach. The regular season is the time to test your team against teams that are better than you. ie strength of schedule.

Below are the teams that won state titles (in the past 10 yrs) after going undefeated in regular season.
  • 2015 D-IV New Madison
    2014 D-IV Convoy Crestview
    2012 D-II Dayton Dunbar
    2008 D-IV New Knoxville
Most state champs have multiple (2+) regular season loses.
trust me most burg fans agree with u. Ater is notorious for scheduling cupcakes and removing almost all tough opponents like Fairland the last cpl years. We played in a joke of a tourney up north when we should have used those two games for bigger and better opponents like Chillicothe or Zane trace or something like that

Football and baseball both are good about scheduling better teams now and look what success we’ve had from it unfortunately basketball is lagging behind there

Our toughest out of conference was jackson and Ironton both good out of conference matchups but Russell and greenup both have no reason to be on there with how down they are

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Going undefeated is a tremendous accomplishment, and it's not Wheelersburg's fault that the SOC II is not that strong this year. The non-conference schedule is not real difficult, but I give the Burg credit for at least leaving the SE district for a couple of games up north. Normally, East Liverpool is normally better than what they showed vs. the Pirates. The Potters are in the top 20 all time in Ohio for wins.

The down side of going undefeated in the regular season is that the pressure of playing in the tournament and staying undefeated makes some teams play not to lose, something they haven't experienced to that point of the season.

Unioto was 24-0 in the 2015 D2 regional, playing a Walnut Ridge team that I felt was not nearly as good as the Shermans (I was at the game), but in the final 2 minutes the Tanks missed a bunch of FT's and it cost them dearly in a 46-45 loss. Not saying that Unioto felt the pressure of staying undefeated, but missing those FT's might have been a sign of it.

Wheelersburg upset undefeated 20-0 Chesapeake at Rock Hill in the D3 sectional tournament (I can't remember what year--early 2000's?....I was at the game). I believe Chris Ellis was one of the stars of that Burg team.

Wheelersburg was undefeated going into the 1988 D3 regional final vs. New Philadelphia Tusky Valley. Tusky Valley upset the 24-0 Pirates.

In 1980, Waverly upset previously undefeated 23-0 Dresden Tri-Valley in the Class AA regional semifinals 48-45. Onno Steger was a star player for the Tigers that year. Waverly lost to Portsmouth in the regional final 49-48. Portsmouth advanced to the state with 5 regular season losses.

In 1979, Portsmouth was 21-0 and had won 29 games in a row dating back to the 1978 state championship season (8 games in the 78 tourney and 21 in 79). It was the longest winning streak in PHS history. The Trojans played Ironton in the Class AA district final that year, with PHS already having beaten the Fighting Tigers 71-57 the last game of the regular season. In the district championship, though, IHS won 54-52 on two Dickie James FT's with 4 seconds left. One of the starters on that 1979 Ironton team was SEOPS member 79Tiger.

It's tough to get to the state undefeated.......if Wheelersburg were to accomplish that, it would be a rare feat indeed. It's very possible that it could happen for the Pirates. But there will be at least one game along the way that won't be decided until the last minute or two.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

trojandave wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:03 pm Going undefeated is a tremendous accomplishment, and it's not Wheelersburg's fault that the SOC II is not that strong this year. The non-conference schedule is not real difficult, but I give the Burg credit for at least leaving the SE district for a couple of games up north. Normally, East Liverpool is normally better than what they showed vs. the Pirates. The Potters are in the top 20 all time in Ohio for wins.

The down side of going undefeated in the regular season is that the pressure of playing in the tournament and staying undefeated makes some teams play not to lose, something they haven't experienced to that point of the season.

Unioto was 24-0 in the 2015 D2 regional, playing a Walnut Ridge team that I felt was not nearly as good as the Shermans (I was at the game), but in the final 2 minutes the Tanks missed a bunch of FT's and it cost them dearly in a 46-45 loss. Not saying that Unioto felt the pressure of staying undefeated, but missing those FT's might have been a sign of it.

Wheelersburg upset undefeated 20-0 Chesapeake at Rock Hill in the D3 sectional tournament (I can't remember what year--early 2000's?....I was at the game). I believe Chris Ellis was one of the stars of that Burg team.

Wheelersburg was undefeated going into the 1988 D3 regional final vs. New Philadelphia Tusky Valley. Tusky Valley upset the 24-0 Pirates.

In 1980, Waverly upset previously undefeated 23-0 Dresden Tri-Valley in the Class AA regional semifinals 48-45. Onno Steger was a star player for the Tigers that year. Waverly lost to Portsmouth in the regional final 49-48. Portsmouth advanced to the state with 5 regular season losses.

In 1979, Portsmouth was 21-0 and had won 29 games in a row dating back to the 1978 state championship season (8 games in the 78 tourney and 21 in 79). It was the longest winning streak in PHS history. The Trojans played Ironton in the Class AA district final that year, with PHS already having beaten the Fighting Tigers 71-57 the last game of the regular season. In the district championship, though, IHS won 54-52 on two Dickie James FT's with 4 seconds left. One of the starters on that 1979 Ironton team was SEOPS member 79Tiger.

It's tough to get to the state undefeated.......if Wheelersburg were to accomplish that, it would be a rare feat indeed. It's very possible that it could happen for the Pirates. But there will be at least one game along the way that won't be decided until the last minute or two.

I think Burg has actually knocked 20-0 Chesapeake out of the sectionals twice over the years. the first one was I believe in 1992, with Chris Ellis and Cris Carter. Story of that tourney run was Coach Lovenguth decided to finally start a Freshman by the name of Jonathon Eaton and with him at the guard position Burg went on an amazing run losing to Sugarcreek Garaway and 7'2" Jason Terry in the Regional final. Big play in that game was when Garaway brought a seldom used player into the game (told to me by a Garaway fan) and he started a fight with Burg PG Cris Carter and Burg went to pieces after that. I remember 6'4" Ellis had Terry by the neck during the fight and it was just an ugly scene that was a definite setup. Burg went into the tourney that year either 10-10 or 9-11.

The second time they beat Peake in the sectionals was the one year Andrew Bendolph played for Burg. Barrick finally turned him loose in that game and man did he go off. I believe he had around 31 and Peake had no answer for him. I think Burg lost in the District final to Huntington Ross.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:14 pm
trojandave wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:03 pm Going undefeated is a tremendous accomplishment, and it's not Wheelersburg's fault that the SOC II is not that strong this year. The non-conference schedule is not real difficult, but I give the Burg credit for at least leaving the SE district for a couple of games up north. Normally, East Liverpool is normally better than what they showed vs. the Pirates. The Potters are in the top 20 all time in Ohio for wins.

I think Burg has actually knocked 20-0 Chesapeake out of the sectionals twice over the years. the first one was I believe in 1992, with Chris Ellis and Cris Carter. Story of that tourney run was Coach Lovenguth decided to finally start a Freshman by the name of Jonathon Eaton and with him at the guard position Burg went on an amazing run losing to Sugarcreek Garaway and 7'2" Jason Terry in the Regional final. Big play in that game was when Garaway brought a seldom used player into the game (told to me by a Garaway fan) and he started a fight with Burg PG Cris Carter and Burg went to pieces after that. I remember 6'4" Ellis had Terry by the neck during the fight and it was just an ugly scene that was a definite setup. Burg went into the tourney that year either 10-10 or 9-11.

The second time they beat Peake in the sectionals was the one year Andrew Bendolph played for Burg. Barrick finally turned him loose in that game and man did he go off. I believe he had around 31 and Peake had no answer for him. I think Burg lost in the District final to Huntington Ross.
Good story. I remember Ellis...he was a monster athlete. I thought Terry was a couple years older than me but guess not. Just saw Terry tonight on Alexander’s bench

And remember Bendolph knocking off the 20-0 or 19-1 Oaks in the sectional final

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

1991 and Sparta Highland instead of Sugarcreek Garaway.

Oak Hill instead of Chesapeake when Bendolph played.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
E High
All State

Post by E High »

Undeafted means nothing when the true season starts in a couple weeks. Good luck all !

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

E High wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:04 am Undeafted means nothing when the true season starts in a couple weeks. Good luck all !
I have always liked comments like this one.

Insult insult insult then good luck to all or wish you the best. 😂

Return to “Boys Basketball”