2019 Southeast District -- Official Seeding/Brackets (Div II, III & IV) Updates and Scores Thread

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: 2019 Southeast District -- Official Seeding/Brackets (Div II, III & IV) Updates and Scores Thread

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

trojandave wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:03 pm Going undefeated is a tremendous accomplishment, and it's not Wheelersburg's fault that the SOC II is not that strong this year. The non-conference schedule is not real difficult, but I give the Burg credit for at least leaving the SE district for a couple of games up north. Normally, East Liverpool is normally better than what they showed vs. the Pirates. The Potters are in the top 20 all time in Ohio for wins.

The down side of going undefeated in the regular season is that the pressure of playing in the tournament and staying undefeated makes some teams play not to lose, something they haven't experienced to that point of the season.

Unioto was 24-0 in the 2015 D2 regional, playing a Walnut Ridge team that I felt was not nearly as good as the Shermans (I was at the game), but in the final 2 minutes the Tanks missed a bunch of FT's and it cost them dearly in a 46-45 loss. Not saying that Unioto felt the pressure of staying undefeated, but missing those FT's might have been a sign of it.

Wheelersburg upset undefeated 20-0 Chesapeake at Rock Hill in the D3 sectional tournament (I can't remember what year--early 2000's?....I was at the game). I believe Chris Ellis was one of the stars of that Burg team.

Wheelersburg was undefeated going into the 1988 D3 regional final vs. New Philadelphia Tusky Valley. Tusky Valley upset the 24-0 Pirates.

In 1980, Waverly upset previously undefeated 23-0 Dresden Tri-Valley in the Class AA regional semifinals 48-45. Onno Steger was a star player for the Tigers that year. Waverly lost to Portsmouth in the regional final 49-48. Portsmouth advanced to the state with 5 regular season losses.

In 1979, Portsmouth was 21-0 and had won 29 games in a row dating back to the 1978 state championship season (8 games in the 78 tourney and 21 in 79). It was the longest winning streak in PHS history. The Trojans played Ironton in the Class AA district final that year, with PHS already having beaten the Fighting Tigers 71-57 the last game of the regular season. In the district championship, though, IHS won 54-52 on two Dickie James FT's with 4 seconds left. One of the starters on that 1979 Ironton team was SEOPS member 79Tiger.

It's tough to get to the state undefeated.......if Wheelersburg were to accomplish that, it would be a rare feat indeed. It's very possible that it could happen for the Pirates. But there will be at least one game along the way that won't be decided until the last minute or two.

I think Burg has actually knocked 20-0 Chesapeake out of the sectionals twice over the years. the first one was I believe in 1992, with Chris Ellis and Cris Carter. Story of that tourney run was Coach Lovenguth decided to finally start a Freshman by the name of Jonathon Eaton and with him at the guard position Burg went on an amazing run losing to Sugarcreek Garaway and 7'2" Jason Terry in the Regional final. Big play in that game was when Garaway brought a seldom used player into the game (told to me by a Garaway fan) and he started a fight with Burg PG Cris Carter and Burg went to pieces after that. I remember 6'4" Ellis had Terry by the neck during the fight and it was just an ugly scene that was a definite setup. Burg went into the tourney that year either 10-10 or 9-11.

The second time they beat Peake in the sectionals was the one year Andrew Bendolph played for Burg. Barrick finally turned him loose in that game and man did he go off. I believe he had around 31 and Peake had no answer for him. I think Burg lost in the District final to Huntington Ross.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 2019 Southeast District -- Official Seeding/Brackets (Div II, III & IV) Updates and Scores Thread

Post by Ironman92 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:14 pm
trojandave wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:03 pm Going undefeated is a tremendous accomplishment, and it's not Wheelersburg's fault that the SOC II is not that strong this year. The non-conference schedule is not real difficult, but I give the Burg credit for at least leaving the SE district for a couple of games up north. Normally, East Liverpool is normally better than what they showed vs. the Pirates. The Potters are in the top 20 all time in Ohio for wins.

The down side of going undefeated in the regular season is that the pressure of playing in the tournament and staying undefeated makes some teams play not to lose, something they haven't experienced to that point of the season.

Unioto was 24-0 in the 2015 D2 regional, playing a Walnut Ridge team that I felt was not nearly as good as the Shermans (I was at the game), but in the final 2 minutes the Tanks missed a bunch of FT's and it cost them dearly in a 46-45 loss. Not saying that Unioto felt the pressure of staying undefeated, but missing those FT's might have been a sign of it.

Wheelersburg upset undefeated 20-0 Chesapeake at Rock Hill in the D3 sectional tournament (I can't remember what year--early 2000's?....I was at the game). I believe Chris Ellis was one of the stars of that Burg team.

Wheelersburg was undefeated going into the 1988 D3 regional final vs. New Philadelphia Tusky Valley. Tusky Valley upset the 24-0 Pirates.

In 1980, Waverly upset previously undefeated 23-0 Dresden Tri-Valley in the Class AA regional semifinals 48-45. Onno Steger was a star player for the Tigers that year. Waverly lost to Portsmouth in the regional final 49-48. Portsmouth advanced to the state with 5 regular season losses.

In 1979, Portsmouth was 21-0 and had won 29 games in a row dating back to the 1978 state championship season (8 games in the 78 tourney and 21 in 79). It was the longest winning streak in PHS history. The Trojans played Ironton in the Class AA district final that year, with PHS already having beaten the Fighting Tigers 71-57 the last game of the regular season. In the district championship, though, IHS won 54-52 on two Dickie James FT's with 4 seconds left. One of the starters on that 1979 Ironton team was SEOPS member 79Tiger.

It's tough to get to the state undefeated.......if Wheelersburg were to accomplish that, it would be a rare feat indeed. It's very possible that it could happen for the Pirates. But there will be at least one game along the way that won't be decided until the last minute or two.

I think Burg has actually knocked 20-0 Chesapeake out of the sectionals twice over the years. the first one was I believe in 1992, with Chris Ellis and Cris Carter. Story of that tourney run was Coach Lovenguth decided to finally start a Freshman by the name of Jonathon Eaton and with him at the guard position Burg went on an amazing run losing to Sugarcreek Garaway and 7'2" Jason Terry in the Regional final. Big play in that game was when Garaway brought a seldom used player into the game (told to me by a Garaway fan) and he started a fight with Burg PG Cris Carter and Burg went to pieces after that. I remember 6'4" Ellis had Terry by the neck during the fight and it was just an ugly scene that was a definite setup. Burg went into the tourney that year either 10-10 or 9-11.

The second time they beat Peake in the sectionals was the one year Andrew Bendolph played for Burg. Barrick finally turned him loose in that game and man did he go off. I believe he had around 31 and Peake had no answer for him. I think Burg lost in the District final to Huntington Ross.
Good story. I remember Ellis...he was a monster athlete. I thought Terry was a couple years older than me but guess not. Just saw Terry tonight on Alexander’s bench

And remember Bendolph knocking off the 20-0 or 19-1 Oaks in the sectional final

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

1991 and Sparta Highland instead of Sugarcreek Garaway.

Oak Hill instead of Chesapeake when Bendolph played.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
E High
All State

Post by E High »

Undeafted means nothing when the true season starts in a couple weeks. Good luck all !

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

E High wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:04 am Undeafted means nothing when the true season starts in a couple weeks. Good luck all !
I have always liked comments like this one.

Insult insult insult then good luck to all or wish you the best. 😂

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

ultimate warrior wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:06 pm Look out for Reedsville Eastern as the dark horse in DIV!! My pick to win the District crown! GO fight WIN, rah rah rah
They have a tough path to the districts. South Webster is a tough match up for Eastern.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

SPfan4LIFE wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:24 am We will see if its a "cupcake walk." Goes to show that none of you all were at the SP vs Burg game at Burg, we gave them all they wanted and some. They were lucky we played at Burg or they might have a loss.
But did you win? Beat Meigs first then pump your chest. In the tourney, anything can happen.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I don't get the beef on non-conference scheduling. Who cares? You either are good or you ain't.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

wobycat wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:23 pm I don't get the beef on non-conference scheduling. Who cares? You either are good or you ain't.
So how 'good' are you? If you don't schedule teams that you think are better than you, you will never know. And I would hate for the 1st time my team is challenged all season to be in post-season play.

As a coach, I would much rather know going into post-season play that I won't see a team, no matter how far I make it, that is better than a team I played in non-conference play.

Post by oldbballdad »

^^^that guy gets it

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:42 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:23 pm I don't get the beef on non-conference scheduling. Who cares? You either are good or you ain't.
So how 'good' are you? If you don't schedule teams that you think are better than you, you will never know. And I would hate for the 1st time my team is challenged all season to be in post-season play.

As a coach, I would much rather know going into post-season play that I won't see a team, no matter how far I make it, that is better than a team I played in non-conference play.
Why? LOL How is knowing that you're not going to see a team in the tournament better than what you scheduled non-conference going to help you win in the tournament? Especially, when you don't win any of them. You still have to put the ball in the basket.

Burg's schedule was fine. You guys act like they scheduled manchester, east, and green.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

To draw on the infamous words of Mike Tyson "Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth". I'd rather get punched in the mouth during the regular season and find out how my team responds as opposed to when it's win or go home time.

Post by wobycat »

How is that going to help Fairland? Do you believe that getting beat by dublin Coffman will help them win tournament games? How so?

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

wobycat wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:16 pm How is that going to help Fairland? Do you believe that getting beat by dublin Coffman will help them win tournament games? How so?
Actually yes I do. Playing better teams makes you better. It's as simple as that.

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:59 pm

Why? LOL How is knowing that you're not going to see a team in the tournament better than what you scheduled non-conference going to help you win in the tournament? Especially, when you don't win any of them. You still have to put the ball in the basket.

Burg's schedule was fine. You guys act like they scheduled manchester, east, and green.
These schedules are made far in advance
so how are you really gonna know how good your opponents are gonna be unless you can see into the future i guess ? Burgs schedule is what it is and they are dominating their opponents I think the average margin of victory is over 20 pts. And come tournament time of course Burg is going to be tested especially if they make a deep run IMO the sectional championship game wilk be a good one if its South Point they are a good team. There are a lot of good teams in the area Burg was just much better this year just because Burg wins by 20 doesn't mean they beat a bad team

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:24 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:59 pm

These schedules are made far in advance
so how are you really gonna know how good your opponents are gonna be unless you can see into the future i guess ? Burgs schedule is what it is and they are dominating their opponents I think the average margin of victory is over 20 pts. And come tournament time of course Burg is going to be tested especially if they make a deep run IMO the sectional championship game wilk be a good one if its South Point they are a good team. There are a lot of good teams in the area Burg was just much better this year just because Burg wins by 20 doesn't mean they beat a bad team
... I like the Fairfield Union philosophy in doing their scheduling their non-conference games ... obviously you have no control over the conference games - teams in the league are either up or down BUT when FU schedules in the non-conf side of the schedule from year to year the goal is to schedule 1/3 of their games vs teams that the coaching staff feels they SHOULD NOT win (which they could win if the play THE perfect game, stretches/pushes TEAM, etc) ... 1/3 of the games vs non-conf teams who they feel are EQUAL to their own team (still have to play well to win, will push FU to win) ... finally the last 1/3 vs teams who on paper FU SHOULD beat ... all games are "teachable" games to improve TEAM ... Goals : win the MSL , non-conference allow FU to improve to win the MSL AND (2nd goal) to advance deep into the post season ...

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:40 pm 1991 and Sparta Highland instead of Sugarcreek Garaway.

Thanks Lucas, I guess it doesn't really matter if it's accurate or not, just throw it out there, and if it sticks fine.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:15 pm
LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:40 pm 1991 and Sparta Highland instead of Sugarcreek Garaway.

Thanks Lucas, I guess it doesn't really matter if it's accurate or not, just throw it out there, and if it sticks fine.
It was 92. I was wrong on the correction to 91.

But it was Sparta Highland

59-51 in Regional Final.
Attachments
24E57802-66E5-4368-B2CF-D682C4C0DC55.png

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
E High
All State

Post by E High »

Don’t think I’m insulting anyone. I have an opinion like everyone else. Sorry if we disagree. You must be a liberal Dem 😂. And yes, I do wish everyone luck !

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:36 pm
VetteMan wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:15 pm

It was 92. I was wrong on the correction to 91.

But it was Sparta Highland

59-51 in Regional Final.
I wasn't questioning you or even the year, I have a good friend whose son played with Jason Terry at Sparta Highland. Also Bendolph had his good game against Oak Hill in 2010, and OH was 20-0 that year before the tournament.

Return to “Boys Basketball”