Best defenders in Southeast Ohio

football87
Freshman Team

Re: Best defenders in Southeast Ohio

Post by football87 »

burgfella69 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:54 am How many did Holden hang on Remington twice this year?
6’6 Holden vs 5’10 Remington...

Don’t know about the 1st game but at Waverly, Holden scores 14.
Would hope a D1 player would score 30 a night against teams with NO future college players (not even d2 or d3).

No need to bring that stuff into this topic

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

football87 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:40 pm
burgfella69 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:54 am How many did Holden hang on Remington twice this year?
6’6 Holden vs 5’10 Remington...

Don’t know about the 1st game but at Waverly, Holden scores 14.
Would hope a D1 player would score 30 a night against teams with NO future college players (not even d2 or d3).

No need to bring that stuff into this topic
Dude was also sitting for more than half the game... or he mighta had 30

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Cody is deciding between track and. Basketball at the next level. Not sure why you would say he is not a d2 or d3 level. He will have an opportunity to play at the d2 level if he decides on basketball.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Northwest freshman Brayden Campbell will flat get after you on defense.

orangeandblack98
Riding the Bench

Post by orangeandblack98 »

no one in the soc and southeast ohio is at holdens level. Blevins is very good too but wouldnt go as far to say hes the best in southeast ohio.

ITS FALCONTIME
Waterboy

Post by ITS FALCONTIME »

Vogelsong from Minford

football87
Freshman Team

Post by football87 »

Ukfanatic wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:26 pm Cody is deciding between track and. Basketball at the next level. Not sure why you would say he is not a d2 or d3 level. He will have an opportunity to play at the d2 level if he decides on basketball.
Did not mean that he couldn’t play D2- he definitely can. I had not heard that he wants to play in college that’s why I said that. Regardless, I would hope a D1 commit could score on a player that’s about 8 inches shorter than him.

Not taking away from Holden either, just don’t act like Remington isn’t one of the best defenders in the state because Holden scores on him.

bigburgboy
Riding the Bench

Post by bigburgboy »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:36 pm ... when you watch a lot of high school basketball as I do ... when you see "single" defenders who stand out THEY play on TEAMS who's entire TEAM are great defenders because THAT is what is "taught" on a TEAM basis ... Defense IS a TEAM "skill" - every player must play fundamentally sound D for the TEAM to be successful :

All of these TEAMS hold opponents on average below the "Magic 50" points per game (not in any particular order)

Logan (13-3)
Chillicothe (16-5)
Zane Trace (16-4)
Fairland (16-4)
Logan Elm (10-9)
Athens (15-4)
Warren (12-6)
Trimble (15-3)
Eastern Pike (19-1)
Oak Hill (15-4)
Western Pike (15-4)
Eastern Brown (15-5)
Fairfield Union (13-7)
Jackson (13-7)
Waterford (12-6)
Alexander (13-6)
Chesapeake (12-9)
After looking at this and not seeing Wheelersburg, I felt like I'd do some research. Being a burg faithful like myself, I went to the SEOPS scoreboard and found Burg's average PPG they give up. and according to what i seen burg is currently at giving up 49.6 PPG :D :lol:

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Gotcha football87. Thanks for the kind words. He grew up with a basketball in his hands always thinking he wanted to play at the next level. When he broke his leg his sophomore year everything kinda got put on hold. Then last hear he goes and blows up during track season and falls in love with long jumping. He has a tough decision to make but today he wants to run track in college. Tommorrow who knows. Will be fun either way!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

bigburgboy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:01 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:36 pm ... when you watch a lot of high school basketball as I do ... when you see "single" defenders who stand out THEY play on TEAMS who's entire TEAM are great defenders because THAT is what is "taught" on a TEAM basis ... Defense IS a TEAM "skill" - every player must play fundamentally sound D for the TEAM to be successful :

All of these TEAMS hold opponents on average below the "Magic 50" points per game (not in any particular order)

Logan (13-3)
Chillicothe (16-5)
Zane Trace (16-4)
Fairland (16-4)
Logan Elm (10-9)
Athens (15-4)
Warren (12-6)
Trimble (15-3)
Eastern Pike (19-1)
Oak Hill (15-4)
Western Pike (15-4)
Eastern Brown (15-5)
Fairfield Union (13-7)
Jackson (13-7)
Waterford (12-6)
Alexander (13-6)
Chesapeake (12-9)
After looking at this and not seeing Wheelersburg, I felt like I'd do some research. Being a burg faithful like myself, I went to the SEOPS scoreboard and found Burg's average PPG they give up. and according to what i seen burg is currently at giving up 49.6 PPG :D :lol:
Waverly decent offense on teams giving up under 50 per game.
Waverly 60 on Athens at Piketon
Waverly 57 at Oak Hill
Waverly 65 on Jackson
Waverly 57 at Wheelersburg

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Washington is holding teams to 48 a game. Some teams were missed when he compiled that list.

I hadn’t put anything about our guards but I think we guard as well as anyone in the backcourt

Held Unioto to 42
Held VC to 42
Held Waverly to 44
Held McClain to 47 Just to name a few.

Evan Upthegrove And Omar Porter And Blaise Tayese combine to do a nice job.

smurray wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:36 pm [quote=bigburgboy post_id=<a href="tel:1752108">1752108</a> time=<a href="tel:1549998119">1549998119</a> user_id=15452]
[quote=pfloyd post_id=<a href="tel:1751324">1751324</a> time=<a href="tel:1549823771">1549823771</a> user_id=121]
... when you watch a lot of high school basketball as I do ... when you see "single" defenders who stand out THEY play on TEAMS who's entire TEAM are great defenders because THAT is what is "taught" on a TEAM basis ... Defense IS a TEAM "skill" - every player must play fundamentally sound D for the TEAM to be successful :

Logan (13-3)
Chillicothe (16-5)
Zane Trace (16-4)
Fairland (16-4)
Logan Elm (10-9)
Athens (15-4)
Warren (12-6)
Trimble (15-3)
Eastern Pike (19-1)
Oak Hill (15-4)
Western Pike (15-4)
Eastern Brown (15-5)
Fairfield Union (13-7)
Jackson (13-7)
Waterford (12-6)
Alexander (13-6)
Chesapeake (12-9)
[/quote]

Waverly decent offense on teams giving up under 50 per game.
Waverly 60 on Athens at Piketon
Waverly 57 at Oak Hill
Waverly 65 on Jackson
Waverly 57 at Wheelersburg
[/quote]

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bigburgboy wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Logan (13-3)
Chillicothe (16-5)
Zane Trace (16-4)
Fairland (16-4)
Logan Elm (10-9)
Athens (15-4)
Warren (12-6)
Trimble (15-3)
Eastern Pike (19-1)
Oak Hill (15-4)
Western Pike (15-4)
Eastern Brown (15-5)
Fairfield Union (13-7)
Jackson (13-7)
Waterford (12-6)
Alexander (13-6)
Chesapeake (12-9)
...bigburgboy, when I posted this the Burg was right AT 50 ppg defensively LOL ... I TOO wanted to make sure I didn't leave someone like the Burg out - they're 20-0 ... I KNEW that they were scoring around 75 ppg ... mattash's figures have WHS at 50 ppg PA (points against) for their 20-0 record ... wasn't trying to slight anyone ... when you are throwing the ball in the hole at the clip Wheelersburg does - that 50 ppg goal isn't as critical ... when you are say a Logan Elm who has no size in the paint, they rely on the 3 pointer/transition buckets AND holding their opponents under 50 as LE only averages around 52 ppg on offense - THAT defensive number IS crucial - hence they AREN'T 20-0 BUT they DO have some BIG W's this season ...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The most important defensive statistics to me are opponent's FG pct. and turnovers forced. A team can play deliberate and then say afterward that their defense was outstanding, when it actuality the pace of play kept the score down.

B-ball-fan
Riding the Bench

Post by B-ball-fan »

I know Northwest has one of the worst team in the area but one bright spot is a freshmen named Brayden Campbell. Look at how he has done 1-1 against some of the best players around. Holden -at Nwest 10 I think. Mcloskey from Huntington 5, WhiteOaks best had 6, just a few examples. I know you have to throw in some variables but he’s solid.

In youth we learn. In age we understand.
Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

JJ Truitts defense is really good he took 2 more charges last night against Webster.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Somebody post up the classic homerun trot of Pedro Cerano for JJ Truitt. Great defender it really takes some marbles to stand in there and take all those charges

FXboi13
Waterboy

Post by FXboi13 »

I’m very biased in my judgement here, considering I only watch Webster and who they play on any given night.. But Blevins is BY FAR the most scary defender in the paint I’ve seen, probably ever in HS basketball. But when you have an athlete capable of Vince Carter 360 windmills in SE OH D4, you have almost no chance trying to finish under the rim with him around. So there’s my vote.
Also, this Remington fellow being mentioned.. If he’s the kid who guarded Blevins full court against Webster, he was burnt almost every time. Yes, he does give good energy and effort and probably forces turnovers often times against average players. But the intelligence to back off the pressure when it’s not working is necessary in my judgement of a good defender. In his case against Webster, his pressure just led to scramble defense in the half court which led to wide open 3’s.
I’d also take Mr Tanner Holden 2nd to Belvins on D. (More skilled offensively though) Puts just the right amount of pressure on when he needs to, uses his long arms and quick hands very effectively. But on rare cases he has been caught reaching and crossed then dunked on. But we won’t talk about that!!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Shiloah moves 8.5 ft with every pace and jumps at two times the speed of gravity. Easily the best defender in the south. No kid has finished a break away layup basket with Blevins trailing behind. LEBRON JAMES SMACKKK

Even Holden got swatted the other night

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Logan (13-3)
Chillicothe (16-5)
Zane Trace (16-4)
Fairland (16-4)
Logan Elm (10-9)
Athens (15-4)
Warren (12-6)
Trimble (15-3)
Eastern Pike (19-1)
Oak Hill (15-4)
Western Pike (15-4)
Eastern Brown (15-5)
Fairfield Union (13-7)
Jackson (13-7)
Waterford (12-6)
Alexander (13-6)
Chesapeake (12-9)
Burg scored at a 74 point per game clip this year while holding opponents to 47.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Swanker Pine wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:46 pm Shiloah moves 8.5 ft with every pace and jumps at two times the speed of gravity. Easily the best defender in the south. No kid has finished a break away layup basket with Blevins trailing behind. LEBRON JAMES SMACKKK

Even Holden got swatted the other night
Blevins is a unique athlete. He jumps like a deer. His on ball defense isn’t as good as Holden’s but you have to air mail shots in because you’re not jumping above him.

Return to “Boys Basketball”