Best defenders in Southeast Ohio

victor creed
Varsity

Re: Best defenders in Southeast Ohio

Post by victor creed »

Somebody post up the classic homerun trot of Pedro Cerano for JJ Truitt. Great defender it really takes some marbles to stand in there and take all those charges

FXboi13
Waterboy

Post by FXboi13 »

I’m very biased in my judgement here, considering I only watch Webster and who they play on any given night.. But Blevins is BY FAR the most scary defender in the paint I’ve seen, probably ever in HS basketball. But when you have an athlete capable of Vince Carter 360 windmills in SE OH D4, you have almost no chance trying to finish under the rim with him around. So there’s my vote.
Also, this Remington fellow being mentioned.. If he’s the kid who guarded Blevins full court against Webster, he was burnt almost every time. Yes, he does give good energy and effort and probably forces turnovers often times against average players. But the intelligence to back off the pressure when it’s not working is necessary in my judgement of a good defender. In his case against Webster, his pressure just led to scramble defense in the half court which led to wide open 3’s.
I’d also take Mr Tanner Holden 2nd to Belvins on D. (More skilled offensively though) Puts just the right amount of pressure on when he needs to, uses his long arms and quick hands very effectively. But on rare cases he has been caught reaching and crossed then dunked on. But we won’t talk about that!!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Shiloah moves 8.5 ft with every pace and jumps at two times the speed of gravity. Easily the best defender in the south. No kid has finished a break away layup basket with Blevins trailing behind. LEBRON JAMES SMACKKK

Even Holden got swatted the other night

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:36 pm ... when you watch a lot of high school basketball as I do ... when you see "single" defenders who stand out THEY play on TEAMS who's entire TEAM are great defenders because THAT is what is "taught" on a TEAM basis ... Defense IS a TEAM "skill" - every player must play fundamentally sound D for the TEAM to be successful :

All of these TEAMS hold opponents on average below the "Magic 50" points per game (not in any particular order)

Logan (13-3)
Chillicothe (16-5)
Zane Trace (16-4)
Fairland (16-4)
Logan Elm (10-9)
Athens (15-4)
Warren (12-6)
Trimble (15-3)
Eastern Pike (19-1)
Oak Hill (15-4)
Western Pike (15-4)
Eastern Brown (15-5)
Fairfield Union (13-7)
Jackson (13-7)
Waterford (12-6)
Alexander (13-6)
Chesapeake (12-9)
Burg scored at a 74 point per game clip this year while holding opponents to 47.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Swanker Pine wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:46 pm Shiloah moves 8.5 ft with every pace and jumps at two times the speed of gravity. Easily the best defender in the south. No kid has finished a break away layup basket with Blevins trailing behind. LEBRON JAMES SMACKKK

Even Holden got swatted the other night
Blevins is a unique athlete. He jumps like a deer. His on ball defense isn’t as good as Holden’s but you have to air mail shots in because you’re not jumping above him.

Unbiased
Waterboy

Post by Unbiased »

A kid that I believe should have his name in this conversation is Matt Mondlak from Fairland. He is a strong, solid defender who has guarded the likes of Blevins of SW, Large of Ironton, Music of CG, Fraulini of Portsmouth and a group of Jackson players and held them all way below their season averages to result in wins for the Dragons. This kids defensive pressure definitely goes unnoticed

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:32 am
pfloyd wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:36 pm ... when you watch a lot of high school basketball as I do ... when you see "single" defenders who stand out THEY play on TEAMS who's entire TEAM are great defenders because THAT is what is "taught" on a TEAM basis ... Defense IS a TEAM "skill" - every player must play fundamentally sound D for the TEAM to be successful :

All of these TEAMS hold opponents on average below the "Magic 50" points per game (not in any particular order)

Logan (13-3)
Chillicothe (16-5)
Zane Trace (16-4)
Fairland (16-4)
Logan Elm (10-9)
Athens (15-4)
Warren (12-6)
Trimble (15-3)
Eastern Pike (19-1)
Oak Hill (15-4)
Western Pike (15-4)
Eastern Brown (15-5)
Fairfield Union (13-7)
Jackson (13-7)
Waterford (12-6)
Alexander (13-6)
Chesapeake (12-9)
Burg scored at a 74 point per game clip this year while holding opponents to 47.
... outstanding ! the Pirates simply get it done at BOTH ends of the floor - THAT'S how teams go undefeated and go deep in the survive and advance season ... makes it a lot easier to "survive and advance" when you are outscoring opponents at a +27 ppg clip LOL - great "season long" TEAM performance ... well done - pfloyd

Tigerhawk123
Waterboy

Post by Tigerhawk123 »

Ethan Cockerill - McClain.

traf1
Varsity

Post by traf1 »

Jake Blagg
Rock Hill

Return to “Boys Basketball”