Meigs @ Athens 2/8

VisionQuest
All State

Meigs @ Athens 2/8

Post by VisionQuest »

Athens coming off a 53-38 win at the Alley last Friday. Meigs with a win at home over Marietta tonight 67-53. Athens won by 14 in the 1st match up at Meigs. Athens and Meigs both playing good ball right now. Athens is sitting at 9-1 in the league and have this one and at Wellston next week to round out TVC-Ohio play. Thoughts???

VisionQuest
All State

Re: Meigs @ Athens 2/8

Post by VisionQuest »

Anyone???

Meigsican
Waterboy

Post by Meigsican »

I’ll play. Taking Meigs in a close one. If they can speed up tempo.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

Meigsican wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:16 pm I’ll play. Taking Meigs in a close one. If they can speed up tempo.
you mean keep up the tempo for 4 quarters. Scored 25 first quarter against Marietta

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Bad matchup for Meigs

Athens 58
Meigs 50

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Think it will be a close game. I’m sure they stick Maxfield in Bear, but whose going to defend Cleland? The Freshman has been playing good ball and Bartrum been stepping up a bit too. Hynes has been rock solid and Butcher as well. If Williams and Maxfield can keep the deep shots up top and Meigs out of the paint, they will do well. Calling it 54-46 Athens

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

Athens by 12

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

With the game being at Athens, I just think that the Bulldogs defense will be a little to much for Meigs.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

I think Athens players need to do a little better job of protecting the basketball when it’s in their hands. One of the main things that I have noticed is when some of them get the ball they will hold it down low around their waist and I noticed Meigs-Cleland mainly will just knock it out of their hands for a Turnover-Warren players are also masters as this. I always thought you get that ball and get those elbows out and the ball in near your chest or get it above your head before the pass. Anyway if Athens can keep those turnovers down and keep an eye on Cleland I think they can win. Baer will probably get his, he is just too smooth and a pure shooter.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

I have been really impressed with Meigs talent this year, they just have not put it all together in the two games I have seen them play this year. I would say Athens has the advantage in strategy and in game adjustments. Meigs has stolen games from Athens in the past when Athens feels like the game is easy. I am going to take Athens by 5 with their senior leadership in this one.

Go Alex (can I put that on a meigs @ athens post?)

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

55-51 Final. Baer with 20, just a great player but doesn’t have the supporting cast, next year they will be a force in the TVC with Cleland, Ty Bartrum and Baer. They sure hustled tonight like I said they would. For Athens Hynes had 14 and 2 crucial free throws final 12 seconds after a big rebound off a free throw miss in the 4th quarter. Junior Andrew Stevens came up with a big steal and hit a big time free throw also. Maxfield had 11 I believe. All the Bulldogs played well in one capacity or another. Williams some big time steals and rebounds and just an all around spark plug driving to the basket and getting buckets. Markins with a big 3 late and Chubb with just all around hustle tonight and a big factor when they switched to that 3-2 Zone in the 4th and put him in the middle with that long wingspan. Butcher had a great game-more aggressive in the paint than usual and it paid off, sadly he fouled out-he gets called for so many fouls just because kids bounce off his big body, he is like a Brickhouse and the referees almost always fall for the flops. Good job Bulldogs TVC-OHIO CHAMPS!!!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

spartans_fan wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:23 am I have been really impressed with Meigs talent this year, they just have not put it all together in the two games I have seen them play this year. I would say Athens has the advantage in strategy and in game adjustments. Meigs has stolen games from Athens in the past when Athens feels like the game is easy. I am going to take Athens by 5 with their senior leadership in this one.

Spot on prediction. Meigs will be good next year

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:29 pm 55-51 Final. Baer with 20, just a great player but doesn’t have the supporting cast, next year they will be a force in the TVC with Cleland, Ty Bartrum and Baer. They sure hustled tonight like I said they would. For Athens Hynes had 14 and 2 crucial free throws final 12 seconds after a big rebound off a free throw miss in the 4th quarter. Junior Andrew Stevens came up with a big steal and hit a big time free throw also. Maxfield had 11 I believe. All the Bulldogs played well in one capacity or another. Williams some big time steals and rebounds and just an all around spark plug driving to the basket and getting buckets. Markins with a big 3 late and Chubb with just all around hustle tonight and a big factor when they switched to that 3-2 Zone in the 4th and put him in the middle with that long wingspan. Butcher had a great game-more aggressive in the paint than usual and it paid off, sadly he fouled out-he gets called for so many fouls just because kids bounce off his big body, he is like a Brickhouse and the referees almost always fall for the flops. Good job Bulldogs TVC-OHIO CHAMPS!!!
Bartrum’s moving?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:32 pm
spartans_fan wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:23 am I have been really impressed with Meigs talent this year, they just have not put it all together in the two games I have seen them play this year. I would say Athens has the advantage in strategy and in game adjustments. Meigs has stolen games from Athens in the past when Athens feels like the game is easy. I am going to take Athens by 5 with their senior leadership in this one.

Spot on prediction. Meigs will be good next year
Ironman92 was real close also with 58-50!!!

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

VisionQuest wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:29 pm 55-51 Final. Baer with 20, just a great player but doesn’t have the supporting cast, next year they will be a force in the TVC with Cleland, Ty Bartrum and Baer. They sure hustled tonight like I said they would. For Athens Hynes had 14 and 2 crucial free throws final 12 seconds after a big rebound off a free throw miss in the 4th quarter. Junior Andrew Stevens came up with a big steal and hit a big time free throw also. Maxfield had 11 I believe. All the Bulldogs played well in one capacity or another. Williams some big time steals and rebounds and just an all around spark plug driving to the basket and getting buckets. Markins with a big 3 late and Chubb with just all around hustle tonight and a big factor when they switched to that 3-2 Zone in the 4th and put him in the middle with that long wingspan. Butcher had a great game-more aggressive in the paint than usual and it paid off, sadly he fouled out-he gets called for so many fouls just because kids bounce off his big body, he is like a Brickhouse and the referees almost always fall for the flops. Good job Bulldogs TVC-OHIO CHAMPS!!!
Ty Bartrum is gone after this season. Also lose Seniors Bartrum, Lilly and Darst.

Ballboy
Waterboy

Post by Ballboy »

I agree Baer is a pure shooter! He doesn’t like to play defense! Good game last night Meigs and Athens,!

Return to “Boys Basketball”