Southeastern Basketball - What is going on?

Chief02
Varsity

Southeastern Basketball - What is going on?

Post by Chief02 »

What is going on with Southeastern basketball? The chants for the coach to be fired by the student section at their recent game is a sign of dysfunction. When you are sitting your best players in crunch time and for entire 4th quarters, there is something wrong. Question is, what is it?

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Southeastern Basketball - What is going on?

Post by mattash »

Really chanting for a coach to be fired? lol things are getting out of control.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Chief02 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:07 pm What is going on with Southeastern basketball? The chants for the coach to be fired by the student section at their recent game is a sign of dysfunction. When you are sitting your best players in crunch time and for entire 4th quarters, there is something wrong. Question is, what is it?
Not ideal. Maybe the AD needs to step in and control those students.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

HamPorter wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:18 pm
Chief02 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:07 pm What is going on with Southeastern basketball? The chants for the coach to be fired by the student section at their recent game is a sign of dysfunction. When you are sitting your best players in crunch time and for entire 4th quarters, there is something wrong. Question is, what is it?
Not ideal. Maybe the AD needs to step in and control those students.
The coach is the AD. 🤣

E High
All State

Post by E High »

High school principal or Super should be around somewhere

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

How are they talent wise? Young? I know their record is poor, but are they under achieving?

How about JV/Junior High?

Sometimes fans/communities have too high of expectations. Are they really THIS bad?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:43 pm How are they talent wise? Young? I know their record is poor, but are they under achieving?

How about JV/Junior High?

Sometimes fans/communities have too high of expectations. Are they really THIS bad?
Decent talent, not great. Ruby is electric and they should return all but one of their rotation. Lots of underclassmen playing, but also not a lot of numbers in the entire program. No freshman team and low numbers on JV. 8th grade team finished last in the SVC.

I think an issue probably arises from how competitive they were early in the season, a 3-8 start wasn’t ideal, but since the year turned, they have been getting blown out almost every game.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

The principal was in attendance and stood over off to the side while it all unfolded, for the entire game. Took no noticeable action to stop it.

The varsity team has 1 senior, 3 juniors, 1 sophomore, and 3 freshmen. Saturday they started 3 freshmen and 2 juniors. Ruby and the other upper classmen have been getting less and less playing time it appears. Saturday, Ruby and Gillum were not on the court at the same time. They are agruably the two best players.

The team has regressed throughout the year. Their best players are not on the court when needed.....sometimes sitting out the entire last quarter of a game.

Typically regression falls to one of two things.....effective coaching/motivation or injuries. They haven’t had any major injuries.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Before the season began I thought this team was capable of winning between 7-10 games, still hoping for that. SE lost their leading scorer(18ppg) from a 11-14 team a season ago .They returned 2/3 starters and was going to have some young kids play major minutes. IMO, they lost their 2nd best player to a thumb injury early in the season, averaging a double/double at the time and as of a couple weeks ago, gone for the year with a foot injury. This maybe forced some of the younger kids to have to step up earlier than expected. The jockey has to ride the horse it is given. They just seemed to not gel, like they needed in order to win some of those early close games. Played hard just couldn't pull them out in the end. Quote from one of my all time faves. "It's going to get worse before it gets better" Roadhouse, great movie. I like the way the young guys have improved and as the season progresses and the veterans will hopefully continue to work in practice and improve their game as well. It is tough to mix 3/4 juniors & seniors with freshman but if it works it could be the start of something we haven't had in a while - winning seasons over the long haul. I think all these kids are capable and want to succeed. Definitely not where they want to be at this point of the season but no time to quit. I see this team winning between 11-14 games next season. If all goes well maybe more, who knows. I was off by a few this year. Trace, Adena, and Unioto would have to be the favorite. keep fighting the good fight.

Some quick Southeastern sports facts: The last 10 years. 2008-2018 current
Boys BB - 9.9 wins per year. 99-131 2 winning seasons 3-16
Girls BB - 12.1 wins per year 121-89 4 winning seasons 7-14
Volleyball 5 winning seasons 24-4
Football - 4 wins per year 40-62 3 winning seasons 7-4
Baseball 3 winning seasons
Softball 0 winning season
boys/girls track- probably 8 top 4 finishes combined in SVC
As a fan of Southeastern sports ( hard to use that word after what happened last week ) I have always been proud the way the kids on the court/field behave, regardless of record, they seem like good kids, do things the right way, and represent Southeastern in way that we should be proud. Coaches as well. The turnover rate had been crazy the past 10 years and in my opinion one of the issues, it is a thankless job. So thank you. I guess I just don't know what people expect.. it is nice to have teams like the girls BB the last few years, Football squad 2 years ago,and the volleyball the last 3 but that is not the norm. or at least it hasn't been the last 10-15 years. Hopefully we can get back to the days of expecting to win SVC titles year in and year out, wouldn't that be fun. Until then How about appreciating the hard work put in by the players on the court/fields no matter who it is and lets try to get back to the winning ways so many remember. If people are as unhappy as they say , quit talking about moving to another school....... and just move or get on board and try to right the ship, it could be a fun ride.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

Southeastern will be lucky to win 11-14 games next year due to lack of turnout of their better players. There is clearly some discord in the building. The students may not run the show, but they have a pulse on how the student body feels towards those who are leading the ship.

The players clearly bust their butts. No one is questioning that. From an outsiders view seeing what goes on, there is an issue in leadership. Ruby and Gillum sitting heavy minutes represents an issue of concern. These are players to be relied on in times like this and it seems as though the coach is not allowing that to happen. They aren’t taking themselves out of the game.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

See as an outsider you have realistic expectations, These kids, this season needed that more than ever, After thinking about it I do agree with you that they would be fortunate to win 11-14 games, next season. zane trace x2, Adena x2, Unioto x2, Paint Valley x2, Vinton county and Piketon classic are 10 games they would not be favored in. Hopefully they keep getting better and can upset team or two. Games are won in the off season, have to see who shows up and roll with them into the rebuilding process that has been going on since 2007 SVC championship team, These kids are capable of being a good team the next few years. Support goes along way. Now as an outsider, if you are implying that having 5 coaches in 8 years is the answer, please stay on the outside.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

KRS wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:35 pm See as an outsider you have realistic expectations, These kids, this season needed that more than ever, After thinking about it I do agree with you that they would be fortunate to win 11-14 games, next season. zane trace x2, Adena x2, Unioto x2, Paint Valley x2, Vinton county and Piketon classic are 10 games they would not be favored in. Hopefully they keep getting better and can upset team or two. Games are won in the off season, have to see who shows up and roll with them into the rebuilding process that has been going on since 2007 SVC championship team, These kids are capable of being a good team the next few years. Support goes along way. Now as an outsider, if you are implying that having 5 coaches in 8 years is the answer, please stay on the outside.
Coaching turnover certainly doesn’t help. And your assumption that I am implying it doesn’t have an effect is dead wrong. However, the current coach is also the AD. So how much of the situation rests in his hands?

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Very little, that position has as much turnover than the coaching positions, probably 4 different people in the last 10 years. Low pay, no say, and take the blame. = Athletic Director.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

So what you’re saying is the problem is school leadership then in not allowing consistency and standardization to take hold. Coach Slaughter from a few years ago seemed like he was taking the team in the right direction.

And I am actually very aware of the Athletic Director definition you provided. Seems quite accurate.

FalconFever02
Freshman Team

Post by FalconFever02 »

Should of kept Slaughter.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Really ? Supposedly there were issues. He moves every couple years ? Probably wrong assessment ?

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

E High wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:57 am Really ? Supposedly there were issues. He moves every couple years ? Probably wrong assessment ?
Key word “supposedly”. And there are issues now too.

cactus
Waterboy

Post by cactus »

Before the season, I would have picked Southeastern to finish in the middle of the pack. I had ZT winning it with Adena following. I thought Unioto, Paint Valley and Southeastern would be 3-5, in no particular order. Then, I had Piketon, Huntington and Westfall rounding out the league. I didn't think they would be one of the top teams, but I will say I am surprised that they are currently in last place in the league.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Friday could be interesting. Huntington just beat New Hope, a team that Southeastern lost to by 26 just 3 days ago.

I thought that was the most winnable game left for the Panthers, maybe not anymore.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Chief02 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:19 am
E High wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:57 am Really ? Supposedly there were issues. He moves every couple years ? Probably wrong assessment ?
Key word “supposedly”. And there are issues now too.
What exactly are the issues?? The coaches picked SE to finish 7th. Before the season. if they can upset Huntington that’s is exactly where they wilL be . Uhrig, Cox, Slaughter, Strausbaugh, they all tried to turn it around . We have won 8,9,11 games the last 3 years with 3 different coaches. Eventually you have to have some stability. Sometimes it takes a guy coming in and cleaning house to change the attitudes of players and parents, that’s a hard job and it will take more years than the previous were or are currently being given. If they go another direction , Best of luck to the next guy. The good news. There is only 2 1/2 weeks left and we can start the process of getting rid of the baseball and softball coach .
Last edited by KRS on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”