Jackson at Waverly 02/05

smurray
SEOPS HO

Jackson at Waverly 02/05

Post by smurray »

Waverly needs to put the game last night behind them and focus on the Ironman coming to town.
I don’t think the loss last night effects the Tigers Sectional seeding as Gallia and Unioto shouldn’t jump the Tigers who appears to be at the 5 slot right now (Greenfield 4).
Does a win over Jackson move the Tigers up any (probably not unless Greenfield loses) but it would just be flip flopping the two teams).
Does a loss to Jackson drop the Tigers down (doubt it, since we’re talking moving them below Gallipolis or Unioto).
Tigers desperately need the win though to give them so momentum and confidence.

Jackson brings a very good team to the jungle with some great challenges for the Tigers!

123xxx
Freshman Team

Re: Jackson at Waverly 02/05

Post by 123xxx »

This will be a great contest. I look for Waverly to work out a 1-3 point win but free throws will determine the outcome IMO.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Waverly won’t drop below the 5 no matter what IMO.

McClain is unlikely to lose as their WCH game was moved to after the draw. That game moving after the draw makes it tougher for a lot of movement 2-5...but still could

Jackson @ Waverly will be a good game. If Jackson is steady on perimeter defense and stays long without fouling on Marquez drives ....they should muster a close win. If Jackson gets lazy closing out on Robertson/Marquez..even Shoemaker or Remington and Waverly offense can keep up. Wolfe good at getting to the rim with his athleticism.

Waverly does have the players to defend Jackson. Davis may need a good all around game to put Jackson over the top.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

If the Ironmen don't have a weak or slow start I think they handle the Tigers by 7-ish points or so, get out of the blocks slow and the Tigers could grab a W.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Should and could be a very good ballgame. The Tigers always play better when they are causing havoc with there press, and creating a lot of turnovers. Jackson has one of the best point guards around SEO as far as I'm concerned. ( Leist being the other ) Waverly can be a very tough team to beat when there press is working, and they are shooting at least decently. If it turns into a half court game, the Ironmen have some kids that can score the ball. The way that the officals call the game, if either team gets into serious foul trouble, will probably decide the outcome.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Can’t imagine they’ll press Jackson a ton, but who knows.

Robertson saw Jackson tonight. Can’t imagine he got much from it though. Not a pretty game....but coaches can always see a thing or two to help their chances.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Be a good game for Athens to scout since they are off.

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:40 am Be a good game for Athens to scout since they are off.
Probably should go to the Marietta at Meigs game.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

ShoeHorn wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:44 am
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:40 am Be a good game for Athens to scout since they are off.
Probably should go to the Marietta at Meigs game.
Yes for now that would make more sense.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:51 pm Can’t imagine they’ll press Jackson a ton, but who knows.

Robertson saw Jackson tonight. Can’t imagine he got much from it though. Not a pretty game....but coaches can always see a thing or two to help their chances.
That's kind of Waverly's MO though is applying pressure the entire game. While Jackson might be able to handle the press, I don't think Waverly's offense can handle turning the game into a half court affair. They simply don't perform well when they're not able to get out and run. Maybe if they're having a hot shooting night they back off a bit but for the most part I think Waverly's offense is more dependent on that pressure style defense and the ability to try and speed up the tempo of the game.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:00 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:51 pm Can’t imagine they’ll press Jackson a ton, but who knows.

That's kind of Waverly's MO though is applying pressure the entire game. While Jackson might be able to handle the press, I don't think Waverly's offense can handle turning the game into a half court affair. They simply don't perform well when they're not able to get out and run. Maybe if they're having a hot shooting night they back off a bit but for the most part I think Waverly's offense is more dependent on that pressure style defense and the ability to try and speed up the tempo of the game.
You kinda just described Jackson too

I know Waverly will pressure all game just not maybe full court pressing is what I meant

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Jackson is in a real good position for seeding even though the losses to fairland and Hillsboro hurt But then in the end can be very helpful in who they get matched up against come seeding time. They need to build some momentum this week and a road win in the jungle to start the week and a win at home against chilly to end would sure get the Ironmen rolling in the direction they need to be at this time of year. Should be a good game against the tigers. Just need the right Ironmen team to show up on the road. It has notbeen the friendliest to them this year.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

I watched Jackson at Chillicothe and at Greenfield. They struggled alot. If I read the standings correctly they are 6 or 7 and 0 at home. I’d guess they’ll get themselves into foul trouble and I think Marquez and Robertson will win the guard matchup. Wolf maybe guard Donaldson and he’s athletic enough to give Donaldson trouble.

Waverly will want this game more than Jackson. Jackson maybe has the two seed regardless.

Waverly 67
Jackson 62

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Jackson hasn’t been great away from home, but I think they are talented enough at guard to be able to deal with Waverly’s pressure as a whole. Remington could be too physical and quick for Wallis, but I think Wallis is good enough to hold his own. But that has to be the matchup to watch.

I’ll take the Ironmen by a handful

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

this'll be interesting. After seeing both play,

Jackson 65
Waverly 56

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

With Waverly this year it’s been about matchups and their ability to make shots.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

burgfella69 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:58 am this'll be interesting. After seeing both play,

Jackson 65
Waverly 56
I think that sounds about right. I’ll take the Ironmen in this one.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

If:

Jackson

* defends the perimeter
* avoids foul trouble
* doesn’t foul Marquez when he penetrates

They’ll win

Waverly

*can create open shots for Robertson and Marquez
*get Jackson playing a bit faster than they want to
*win the rebounding stat

They will win the game.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:33 pm If:

Jackson

* defends the perimeter
* avoids foul trouble

They’ll win

Waverly

*win the rebounding stat

They will win the game.
Think one thing that needs to be added to that, not sure about Jackson, but Waverly has struggled from the line all season. If they find themselves in a close game this could be a big problem for them. I watched Waverly miss 7 straight free throws in a game, as Valley kept crawling their way back in it at the end in game 1.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

greygoose wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:11 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:33 pm If:

Jackson

* defends the perimeter
* avoids foul trouble

They’ll win

Waverly

*win the rebounding stat

They will win the game.
Think one thing that needs to be added to that, not sure about Jackson, but Waverly has struggled from the line all season. If they find themselves in a close game this could be a big problem for them. I watched Waverly miss 7 straight free throws in a game, as Valley kept crawling their way back in it at the end in game 1.
Yeah, goes along with my emphasis of avoiding fouls. They can’t make the free throws if they aren’t shooting as many

Return to “Boys Basketball”