Wheelersburg @ Waverly, Friday, 2/1/19

Lightle04
SE

Re: Wheelersburg @ Waverly, Friday, 2/1/19

Post by Lightle04 »

Burg showed they have a lot of weapons. They are a very good team. I hate that their players feel a need to talk smack to the Waverly coach during the game it really takes away from how good they are. There is no reason Burg shouldn’t be a sweet 16 or elite 8 team this year. They have good size very athletic and can handle the ball at all 5 positions on the floor. And with Holden inside he is surrounded by good shooters.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

This game played out just about like I predicted. Teams that try to run with Wheelersburg will get beat and beat handily.

That is why I say Wheelersburg should win the Region. Central District will run with them and that is a formula for disaster.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

WHEELERSBURG SCORING
Mullins 21 (5 threes)
Holden 14 (6 in the 4th)
Salyers 13
Truitt 7
McCorkle 5
Miller 4
J. Salyers 3
Darnell 2
Wheelersburg was 10-15 from the line and shot around 50% FG's

WAVERLY SCORING
Marquez 15
Wolfe 9
Dunn 9
Robertson 6
Shoemaker 4
Remington 3
Waverly was 11-23 from the line and around 30% FG's missing many in the paint.

Turnovers were pretty even and 15 & 16.
Waverly with more offensive rebounds and Wheelersburg with more defensive rebounds and that's indicative of the shooting % of both teams.
You cant shoot that poorly from the line or the field and expect to win.

Good solid win by the Pirates and I look for them to make a very deep tournament run, possibly final 4.
I believe they are the best team Waverly has faced all year, including Chillicothe - would love to see that game.

Waverly has to put this one behind them and start preparing for a very good Jackson team coming in Tuesday. That game will have a lot to say about the D2 seeding.

GoBrownies3
Waterboy

Post by GoBrownies3 »

Can anyone tell me why the Wheelersburg coach continues to leave Holden in the game in blowouts? Lol I’ve seen multiple times now when he has been up 20+ under 2 min and leaves the kid in, even drawing up sets for him lol. Is the 30 point average and undefeated season not enough? It’s unfortunate that such a talented group is lead without class, and honestly it shows in the teams character and attitudes as a whole.

Wburgfan
Waterboy

Post by Wburgfan »

GoBrownies3 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:22 pm Can anyone tell me why the Wheelersburg coach continues to leave Holden in the game in blowouts? Lol I’ve seen multiple times now when he has been up 20+ under 2 min and leaves the kid in, even drawing up sets for him lol. Is the 30 point average and undefeated season not enough? It’s unfortunate that such a talented group is lead without class, and honestly it shows in the teams character and attitudes as a whole.
I am not exactly sure. I think it not the best idea. Tonight maybe it was because the limited minutes he had due to foul trouble and just wanted him to stay in rhythm with how hes played all year. I felt like it is a risk especially in physical games like this one.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I wasn’t close to the court but was at the game and I didn’t see any of the attitude stuff from anyone.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:58 pm I’m impressed with the depth Burg showed tonight. As far as the calls, Waverly is a tough team to officiate. They’re pressing the line physically at all times. But, they have a lot of quickness and athleticism that makes it difficult for officials to be consistent. As we all know, the SOC assigns the crews. I hope the Pirates make a deep run. Good luck. I thought the JV game showed that we have some battles to come on the hardwood for a few years.

I call BS on the no calls on Waverly. Marquez in no way could guard Holden and a good officiating crew would not have let him body up like that in the paint. If someone guards you like that on the street they are getting an elbow in the ear.

I just don’t understand the woody Schartzel has for Burg and the screwings he has given them over the years, mainly at the Convo.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:27 pm I wasn’t close to the court but was at the game and I didn’t see any of the attitude stuff from anyone.
There was some talk back and forth by both teams but noting like the first matchup.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Wburgfan wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:25 pm
GoBrownies3 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:22 pm Can anyone tell me why the Wheelersburg coach continues to leave Holden in the game in blowouts? Lol I’ve seen multiple times now when he has been up 20+ under 2 min and leaves the kid in, even drawing up sets for him lol. Is the 30 point average and undefeated season not enough? It’s unfortunate that such a talented group is lead without class, and honestly it shows in the teams character and attitudes as a whole.
I am not exactly sure. I think it not the best idea. Tonight maybe it was because the limited minutes he had due to foul trouble and just wanted him to stay in rhythm with how hes played all year. I felt like it is a risk especially in physical games like this one.
Waverly scored with 1:18 remaining and Travis immediately called timeout. As the teams were coming over he told the Wheelersburg coaches he was subbing in. It was acknowledged by the coaches so they knew it. Travis was not happy when the teams took to the court, Waverly JV's and Wheelersburg starters. No idea what you're trying to accomplish up 23 with 1:18 to play and you know the other team is subbing in their JV players.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I’m sure Steven wasn’t happy with the way the game was officiated and my guess, since they tried a full court pass to Holden, they were trying to get Holden a dunk to send a message.

Don’t poke the bear!!

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

smurray wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:45 pm
Why must a winning team have to quit trying to win? With 1:18 left to go who cares who’s left on the floor. Waverly wishes they could have gotten something done tonight but they couldn’t. Tiger starting 5 are not lengthy and were out matched from the start.
Waverly scored with 1:18 remaining and Travis immediately called timeout. As the teams were coming over he told the Wheelersburg coaches he was subbing in. It was acknowledged by the coaches so they knew it. Travis was not happy when the teams took to the court, Waverly JV's and Wheelersburg starters. No idea what you're trying to accomplish up 23 with 1:18 to play and you know the other team is subbing in their JV players.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

smurray wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:45 pm
And the Burg JV’s were promptly put in the ballgame before play resumed. Maybe Travis should worry about getting his team ready for Jackson on Tuesday. They can easily put a beat down on the Tigers just like the one they received tonight.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Didn't make it to the game, but listened to BurgFan for the first time. ( That alone was very entertaining.) After mayby a 13-13 tie in the first Qtr, and even 2 of Burgs starters in foul trouble, it wasn't much of a game after that. Even though a few teams have given the Burg a few anxious moments in a few of there recent games, I'm not sure that unless a team ( Around Here ) can dictate there tempo, and force the Burg to play at a tempo that they do not like, will be able to beat the Burg. I probably should have said when the tournament starts. As far as taking the starters out for both teams, the game sounded as if it was getting a little "chippy", I would have taken the starters out for both teams, being that the outcome had been decided a lot earlier.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:37 pm
oldschoolqb13 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:58 pm I’m impressed with the depth Burg showed tonight. As far as the calls, Waverly is a tough team to officiate. They’re pressing the line physically at all times. But, they have a lot of quickness and athleticism that makes it difficult for officials to be consistent. As we all know, the SOC assigns the crews. I hope the Pirates make a deep run. Good luck. I thought the JV game showed that we have some battles to come on the hardwood for a few years.

I call BS on the no calls on Waverly. Marquez in no way could guard Holden and a good officiating crew would not have let him body up like that in the paint. If someone guards you like that on the street they are getting an elbow in the ear.

I just don’t understand the woody Schartzel has for Burg and the screwings he has given them over the years, mainly at the Convo.
Only woody he has is for your wife after she losses 50lbs.

langra
Riding the Bench

Post by langra »

I normally don't like to talk about officiating but it was equally bad on both sides. 36 fouls called in one game is ridiculous (19 the first half and 17 the second). People pay to watch a ball game not 3 officials take the game out of the kids hands.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

:D :x :lol: :?
Last edited by Burg_Grad_77 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:00 pm I’m sure Steven wasn’t happy with the way the game was officiated and my guess, since they tried a full court pass to Holden, they were trying to get Holden a dunk to send a message.

Don’t poke the bear!!
:roll: Send a message?? What was that I'm just curious?? I love when people get inside the head of coaches or players and know what they're thinking or why they're doing something. I'm always compelled to find out what someone seen or heard while in another person's head. SMH.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:12 am

Pretty much uncalled for and childish, I'd expect a teenager to respond this way.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Had to sleep on it before I commented on this one. Read all the post game comments so I’m going to bullet point what really went down last night.

- Jv game was a good one. Both waverly and burg will be battling it out for a couple of years

- Waverly game plan. Take Holden’s limbs off each time he had ball. Get him in foul trouble or worse maybe a technical and off the court. Waverly successful in that part. He still had a double double and played two quarters.

- waverly struggles with teams that can guard. They look lost on who is going to take over. Marquez did a pretty good job at times and Wolfe but that’s it.

- Officials were inconsistent for both teams all night. Both teams were getting down right hammered at times but then they’d call a cheap one 30 ft from the basket.

- subs at the end. Ater immediately put his bench in like after one play. I don’t think he was paying that much to what waverly coach was doing

Other than that, burg showed why they are number 3 in the state and should move up. They can score 1-5. Their bench is solid, and they have a D1 basketball player.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:12 am

Come on Schwartzel, you’re better than this!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”