Sportsmanship/Positive Stories/High Road

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Sportsmanship/Positive Stories/High Road

Post by Ironman92 »

Let’s here some pertaining to our SE District (feel free to go back in time)

Back in 2012 at Jackson’s senior night we had 6 seniors. Two seniors were mainstay starters from game 1 of their sophomore year. The one senior who was a really good perimeter shooter and solid guard insisted to coach that he would be the senior on the bench, thus allowing the senior that never started would get the appropriate senior starting spot and early playing time. It doesn’t sound like much but I’ve never seen that happen before and when I think of that player....I don’t remember his 500-600 points, I remember his display of kindness that night.

Last season when Miami Trace visited Jackson they had a guard (Cameron Carter) and Jackson’s Carson Spohn was told to follow him everywhere, well he did and was well within the rules but also relentless and probably a bit irritating. During a free throw late in the game Carter was called over by his coach....and Spohn of course went with him and stood about 9 inches away as coach spoke to the player. Never blinking. Carter then grabbed his water bottle, squirted himself a drink and then looked at Spohn and without words offered Spohn a drink. Spohn nodded, Carter squeezed him a mouthful and they went back to business. Loved that high road he took and everyone on Jackson side that saw it did too.

At Whiteoak they have a special needs kid that everyone loves and he’s always been part of the basketball team since 3rd grade (Friday he was crowned homecoming king)...every now and then he gets an opportunity to play the final portion of the game. Each time I’ve watched his teammates make sure he gets the ball, the opponent does what they should and the referees sometimes miss a little travel...and when it goes in, it’s the only moment everyone in the gym is happy.

Let’s hear some of yours
Last edited by Ironman92 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Re: Sportsmanship/Positive Stories/High Road

Post by Hoopie74 »

This weekend at the Dave Young Classic I do not recall hearing any beligerance at all, either toward refs or oposing teams. No technicals and all around clean games.

In 1998 Trey Edwards was a senior and played for Peebles. In Junior high Trey was an awesome upcoming star for Peebles.He was injured and lost his leg and had many head injuries. People thought he would be luck to survive. Trey survived and Played later in his Junior and Senior years with a prothetic leg.He played in most all the games except when sores we're too bad and even then he would try. That kid showed more guts on that one good leg and I am amazed to this day that he is still contributing every day to our Small community.
Trey's father Jerry Edwards was a multi sport player at Peebles and Moorhead State and won many awards while playing at each school. Anyone who played against Jerry in independent basketball,on the softball fields ,fast pitch or slow pitch or on the links can testify to his athletic ability. Trey always puts that same effort out every day.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:44 pm Let’s here some pertaining to our SE District (feel free to go back in time)

Back in 2012 at Jackson’s senior night we had 6 seniors. Two seniors were mainstay starters from game 1 of their sophomore year. The one senior who was a really good perimeter shooter and solid guard insisted to coach that he would be the senior on the bench, thus allowing the senior that never started would get the appropriate senior starting spot and early playing time. It doesn’t sound like much but I’ve never seen that happen before and when I think of that player....I don’t remember his 500-600 points, I remember his display of kindness that night.

Last season when Washington CH visited Jackson they had a guard and Jackson’s Carson Spohn was told to follow him everywhere, well he did and was well within the rules but also relentless and probably a bit irritating. During a free throw late in the game the Washington player was called over by his coach....and Spohn of course went with him and stood about 9 inches away as coach spoke to the player. Never blinking. The Washington player then grabbed his water bottle, squirted himself a drink and then looked at Spohn and without words offered Spohn a drink. Spohn nodded, Wash player squeezed him a mouthful and they went back to business. Loved that high road he took and everyone on Jackson side that saw it did too.

At Whiteoak they have a special needs kid that everyone loves and he’s always been part of the basketball team since 3rd grade (Friday he was crowned homecoming king)...every now and then he gets an opportunity to play the final portion of the game. Each time I’ve watched his teammates make sure he gets the ball, the opponent does what they should and the referees sometimes miss a little travel...and when it goes in, it’s the only moment everyone in the gym is happy.

Let’s hear some of yours
Very good Stories! I remember you telling about Carson Spohn last year.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

The Peake would have one Senior on the team this year. Early last year he was diagnosed with osteo-carcinoma is his knee. Chemo and reconstructive surgery. This year they found more and under went more chemo. His last scan showed more problems and decisions to be made with him and family.
Coach Davis has hept his spot on the team and the boys wear warm up shirts with his name and number on them.
I feel this is a class act.
Prayers and Tanner Strong

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

All great stories

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Keep em coming

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

This happened to me, a couple of years ago while attending a Warren game at the Warrior Dome ... a little background - I had been diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma Cancer back in 2010 ... I had battled for 6 years - many treatments, hospital stays at the James, surgeries ... back in 2016, they had found something more in my January scan ... they wanted me back for another scan in March ... between the January CT scans and the March CT scans I was doing what I have done for 19 years - go to high school basketball games/reporting on high school basketball games ... the act of kindness/selflessness that took place at/after the Warren vs Athens game that night - a greater act of sportsmanship/kindness by a Coaching staff/basketball team I have never known - will ALWAYS remember that night for as long as I live ... here's my post from after the game :

... it's not a secret - pfloyd is a big fan of the Warren Warriors - have been for 15 years or so ... Coach Maddox and I both taught at Logan High School in the same department before Coach Maddox took his coaching/teaching talents to Warren Local - Logan's loss for sure ... we have been friends forever it seems ... I have always had great respect for Coach Maddox as a person, a teacher and a friend for 30 years - tonight , after the Warren , Athens game Coach Maddox & his staff only solidified that respect ...

... I always try to at least say hello to Coach Maddox whenever I'm at the Warrior Dome - it's what friends do ... I did so tonight as well - we talked hoops - I gave him the scoop on Fairfield Union & the transfer PG , Blane yelled at me for NOT letting him know I was in the gym for the Parkersburg game Tuesday night ... i returned to my cheap seat location ... as the game progressed through the first half ... Blane's wife Sally who was sitting in front of me , returned to her seat and told me that Coach Maddox wanted to see me following the game - win or lose ... okay ... the game got into the 4th quarter ... it got a little chippy when a couple of Athens players took down a Warren player - 2 Warren technicals were called one on a player who simply said what EVERYONE in the gym said when he saw how hard the tackle was of his teammate = technical #1 ... Coach Maddox had a few words with an official = technical #2 ... the game continued , Warren pushed out to nearly a 20 point lead ... with 30 seconds or so left in the game I'm writing down Napkin Stats and I hear Coach Maddox yelling my name from the bench !!! for a second I thought " Coach ! I don't have any eligibility left !" ... I told the folks around me " he wants to yell at me and blame the technical on me - I didn't say anything Coach Maddox !!!" ... he yells for me to go to the Warren locker room after the game ... ??????

I walked into the locker room the Warriors , Coach Maddox & coaching staff celebrating the "W" over Athens ... I then heard Coach Maddox introduce me to the team, he introduced me as his long time friend, that the players know me by my internet/seops name but he knows me as Mike ... he informed the players that I was battling cancer again ... asked them if they would join hands with him, me and the coaching staff to pray for me, pfloyd ... he asked me if that would be alright ... right there in the locker room , where but seconds before the Warriors were celebrating ... Coach Maddox explained to his young men that he KNEW that with his, his players prayers I could beat cancer ... I had tears in my eyes the whole time as Coach Jack Colgrove - with the entire Warrior family holding hands in a circle with pfloyd - led the team in praying for pfloyd ...

... players who had just worked their butts off on the floor for 32 minutes were now learning a life lesson from Coach Maddox ... that basketball as important to them at that time is what it is - a game ... that there are things bigger and more important than basketball ... Coach mentioned that the kids themselves knew of family/friends who were affected by cancer ... not too many dry eyes in that locker room ... it was my pleasure to shake those kids hands after the "Amen" in unison ... I thanked them all ...

... I just want to thank Coach Maddox, Coach Mitchem, Coach Coffman, Coach Colgrove and every single one of those Warren players for giving this old man, pfloyd , a memory that I will take with me forever ... I WILL beat this terrible disease ... cancer has no chance - I have the Big Bad Blue fighting for me ! ... Life IS worth Living ... #livinglifeonMYterms

pfloyd ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

peake71 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:19 pm The Peake would have one Senior on the team this year. Early last year he was diagnosed with osteo-carcinoma is his knee. Chemo and reconstructive surgery. This year they found more and under went more chemo. His last scan showed more problems and decisions to be made with him and family.
Coach Davis has hept his spot on the team and the boys wear warm up shirts with his name and number on them.
I feel this is a class act.
Prayers and Tanner Strong
Absolutely. Prayers and well wishes to that kid and his family/friends

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:59 pm This happened to me, a couple of years ago while attending a Warren game at the Warrior Dome ... a little background - I had been diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma Cancer back in 2010 ... I had battled for 6 years - many treatments, hospital staffs at the James, surgeries ... back in 2016, they had found something more in my January scan ... they wanted me back for another scan in March ... between the January CT scans and the March CT scans I was doing what I have done for 19 years - go to high school basketball games/reporting on high school basketball games ... the act of kindness/selflessness that took place at/after the Warren vs Athens game that night - a greater act of sportsmanship/kindness by a Coaching staff/basketball team I have never known - will ALWAYS remember that night for as long as I live ... here's my post from after the game :

... it's not a secret - pfloyd is a big fan of the Warren Warriors - have been for 15 years or so ... Coach Maddox and I both taught at Logan High School in the same department before Coach Maddox took his coaching/teaching talents to Warren Local - Logan's loss for sure ... we have been friends forever it seems ... I have always had great respect for Coach Maddox as a person, a teacher and a friend for 30 years - tonight , after the Warren , Athens game Coach Maddox & his staff only solidified that respect ...

... I always try to at least say hello to Coach Maddox whenever I'm at the Warrior Dome - it's what friends do ... I did so tonight as well - we talked hoops - I gave him the scoop on Fairfield Union & the transfer PG , Blane yelled at me for NOT letting him know I was in the gym for the Parkersburg game Tuesday night ... i returned to my cheap seat location ... as the game progressed through the first half ... Blane's wife Sally who was sitting in front of me , returned to her seat and told me that Coach Maddox wanted to see me following the game - win or lose ... okay ... the game got into the 4th quarter ... it got a little chippy when a couple of Athens players took down a Warren player - 2 Warren technicals were called one on a player who simply said what EVERYONE in the gym said when he saw how hard the tackle was of his teammate = technical #1 ... Coach Maddox had a few words with an official = technical #2 ... the game continued , Warren pushed out to nearly a 20 point lead ... with 30 seconds or so left in the game I'm writing down Napkin Stats and I hear Coach Maddox yelling my name from the bench !!! for a second I thought " Coach ! I don't have any eligibility left !" ... I told the folks around me " he wants to yell at me and blame the technical on me - I didn't say anything Coach Maddox !!!" ... he yells for me to go to the Warren locker room after the game ... ??????

I walked into the locker room the Warriors , Coach Maddox & coaching staff celebrating the "W" over Athens ... I then heard Coach Maddox introduce me to the team, he introduced me as his long time friend, that the players know me by my internet/seops name but he knows me as Mike ... he informed the players that I was battling cancer again ... asked them if they would join hands with him, me and the coaching staff to pray for me, pfloyd ... he asked me if that would be alright ... right there in the locker room , where but seconds before the Warriors were celebrating ... Coach Maddox explained to his young men that he KNEW that with his, his players prayers I could beat cancer ... I had tears in my eyes the whole time as Coach Jack Colgrove - with the entire Warrior family holding hands in a circle with pfloyd - led the team in praying for pfloyd ...

... players who had just worked their butts off on the floor for 32 minutes were now learning a life lesson from Coach Maddox ... that basketball as important to them at that time is what it is - a game ... that there are things bigger and more important than basketball ... Coach mentioned that the kids themselves knew of family/friends who were affected by cancer ... not too many dry eyes in that locker room ... it was my pleasure to shake those kids hands after the "Amen" in unison ... I thanked them all ...

... I just want to thank Coach Maddox, Coach Mitchem, Coach Coffman, Coach Colgrove and every single one of those Warren players for giving this old man, pfloyd , a memory that I will take with me forever ... I WILL beat this terrible disease ... cancer has no chance - I have the Big Bad Blue fighting for me ! ... Life IS worth Living ... #livinglifeonMYterms

pfloyd ...
Whew.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:59 pm This happened to me, a couple of years ago while attending a Warren game at the Warrior Dome ... a little background - I had been diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma Cancer back in 2010 ... I had battled for 6 years - many treatments, hospital staffs at the James, surgeries ... back in 2016, they had found something more in my January scan ... they wanted me back for another scan in March ... between the January CT scans and the March CT scans I was doing what I have done for 19 years - go to high school basketball games/reporting on high school basketball games ... the act of kindness/selflessness that took place at/after the Warren vs Athens game that night - a greater act of sportsmanship/kindness by a Coaching staff/basketball team I have never known - will ALWAYS remember that night for as long as I live ... here's my post from after the game :

pfloyd ...
Not gonna lie, this one got to me a little as I lost my mother at the age of 5 to that terrible disease as many many others have lost loved ones to the same fate. Floyd, as memorable as that was for you I bet that made such an impression on those young men. To see two grown men praying and crying together and showing what friendship and what the value of human life truly is, will be something I’m sure they’ll never forget. This is just one of the many reasons I love sports

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Before we played at Huntington earlier this year, when they called the captains to mid court in the pregame, Huntington’s Elijah McCloskey told them to hold on and ran over past our bench. When he got there, he found his friend who is wheelchair bound and asked him if he wanted to come out with him. So, after he said yes, Elijah led him out for the captain’s meeting.

I’m not sure how many people even saw it, but right then everything that I had heard about Elijah was verified.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mlittle wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:41 pm

pfloyd ...
Not gonna lie, this one got to me a little as I lost my mother at the age of 5 to that terrible disease as many many others have lost loved ones to the same fate. Floyd, as memorable as that was for you I bet that made such an impression on those young men. To see two grown men praying and crying together and showing what friendship and what the value of human life truly is, will be something I’m sure they’ll never forget. This is just one of the many reasons I love sports
... it was such a moment mlittle, I get tears in my eyes when I reread the post - the feelings of the moment come flowing back ... those young men in that room, I will never forget them and what they did that night - the 6 year mental/physical fight ... #cancersucks

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:59 pm This happened to me, a couple of years ago while attending a Warren game at the Warrior Dome ... a little background - I had been diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma Cancer back in 2010 ... I had battled for 6 years - many treatments, hospital stays at the James, surgeries ... back in 2016, they had found something more in my January scan ... they wanted me back for another scan in March ... between the January CT scans and the March CT scans I was doing what I have done for 19 years - go to high school basketball games/reporting on high school basketball games ... the act of kindness/selflessness that took place at/after the Warren vs Athens game that night - a greater act of sportsmanship/kindness by a Coaching staff/basketball team I have never known - will ALWAYS remember that night for as long as I live ... here's my post from after the game :

pfloyd ...

Tearjerker

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:43 pm Before we played at Huntington earlier this year, when they called the captains to mid court in the pregame, Huntington’s Elijah McCloskey told them to hold on and ran over past our bench. When he got there, he found his friend who is wheelchair bound and asked him if he wanted to come out with him. So, after he said yes, Elijah led him out for the captain’s meeting.

I’m not sure how many people even saw it, but right then everything that I had heard about Elijah was verified.
... one thing that I have found in all of my travels around Southern/Southeast Ohio - the players , these young men, kids are such awesome individuals ... when one such as Elijah McCloskey does what you described it validates that basketball IS just a game and these young men are more than just basketball players ... great moment you shared daniC ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

You are welcome Mattash

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

I prayed for you back then Pfloyd and pray for the safety of all the youngsters, just as I prayed for my boy during 11 years of Bull riding. Sports and all people involved can give you the will to go on. Awesome stories.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hoopie74 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:07 pm I prayed for you back then Pfloyd and pray for the safety of all the youngsters, just as I prayed for my boy during 11 years of Bull riding. Sports and all people involved can give you the will to go on. Awesome stories.
... not sure I would have made it through without you Hoopie74 & the rest of the SEOPs Nation ... the support was special ... I am forever grateful for ALL of the prayers and support that I was shown ... you folks are special peoples ...

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:26 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:07 pm I prayed for you back then Pfloyd and pray for the safety of all the youngsters, just as I prayed for my boy during 11 years of Bull riding. Sports and all people involved can give you the will to go on. Awesome stories.
... not sure I would have made it through without you Hoopie74 & the rest of the SEOPs Nation ... the support was special ... I am forever grateful for ALL of the prayers and support that I was shown ... you folks are special peoples ...
You are strong willed and the reason for this site.Its our duty to look out for each other as human beings. I'm just glad to be able to continue to critique you.hahaha! Seriously the kids involved in sports in these little communities keeps us all going along with the history they pass on.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hoopie74 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:47 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:26 pm
You are strong willed and the reason for this site.Its our duty to look out for each other as human beings. I'm just glad to be able to continue to critique you.hahaha! Seriously the kids involved in sports in these little communities keeps us all going along with the history they pass on.
LOL - you're the best Hoopie74 , I need someone to keep me in line for sure LOL ...the kids, sports, the game of basketball , life in small towns ... I wouldn't change it for anything ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

If this was a poor sportsmanship thread we’d be on page 6 right now

Return to “Boys Basketball”