Sportsmanship/Positive Stories/High Road

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Sportsmanship/Positive Stories/High Road

Post by mlittle »

warrior1 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:17 pm
se-alum wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:41 am Just this passed weekend, all SVC teams and Chillicothe wore Kunkel Strong t-shirts during warmups to support Eli Kunkel, a 2015 Adena Graduate and standout baseball player, who was recently diagnosed with a fatal brain disease(Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease), and is not given much time to live. A great showing of support from the entire area.
Our community is great in the Scioto valley and the village is a great place to live. Thank you to everyone.
It is a special league

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

This may be the best topic I've ever seen on this site....thanks Ironman. Although I don't personally know many on here, I certainly appreciate all of your opinions and know that we are all bound by our love for high school sports and the stories and people that go with them.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:03 pm This may be the best topic I've ever seen on this site....thanks Ironman. Although I don't personally know many on here, I certainly appreciate all of your opinions and know that we are all bound by our love for high school sports and the stories and people that go with them.
Thank You...I’m far from always positive but I thought a thread like this was needed. More threads to follow.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Ironman 92,
I wish that I could remember all the details so that I could tell about it, I think that mayby you will remember. I'm pretty sure it involved the Northwest High School Football Team. I can't remember what area team they were playing, but from what I can remember, both coaches from each team, plus the officals, arranged at the end of the game, to have this kid run the ball for mayby a touchdown. I may be wrong about the details, and if you don't recall, mayby someone else will.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:14 pm Ironman 92,
I wish that I could remember all the details so that I could tell about it, I think that mayby you will remember. I'm pretty sure it involved the Northwest High School Football Team. I can't remember what area team they were playing, but from what I can remember, both coaches from each team, plus the officals, arranged at the end of the game, to have this kid run the ball for mayby a touchdown. I may be wrong about the details, and if you don't recall, mayby someone else will.
2002 against Waverly.

It was a really cool and touching moment for sure. I’m glad you brought it up!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Oh no doubt. Jake Porter up on the ESPY stage. Yeah that story is #1 to the feels. I go look at that ESPY in the trophy case every year I make it to NW which is most years. An all-time moment.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:24 pm
Oh no doubt. Jake Porter up on the ESPY stage. Yeah that story is #1 to the feels. I go look at that ESPY in the trophy case every year I make it to NW which is most years. An all-time moment.
Yes, it was a magical moment. I was actually an assistant coach at Waverly at the time. My old college teammate Derek DeWitt was the head coach. Derek had spoken to Dave Franz (head coach at Northwest at the time and now the AD...fantastic guy) before the game and Dave said if the game gets out of hand he wanted to put Jake in for a play or two (had no intention of him carrying the ball). Jake had a rare disorder that prevented him from playing athletics, but was around all the sports and was loved by the kids and the Mohawk coaches. When the time came, a timeout was called (can't remember who called it), but both coaches were out in the middle of the field discussing something and it kind of looked like they were arguing (they weren't). Derek was telling Dave he wanted Jake to get the ball and score and Dave was saying no you don't have to do that (I think we had a shutout going at the time). Well, Derek won lol, and the rest is Espy history. Jake took the handoff and our guys were diving at his feet and he went the distance. It was like he won the Super Bowl...wasn't a dry eye on our sideline.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

bump

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

TTT

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

I played for Eastern Pike in 1999 for coach Caldwell,I was a senior.. I had a teammate named Josh who was a starter and a good player,he averaged double figures in scoring that year as a Jr. Eastern had alot coming back the following year including Josh,but doctors discovered that he had a heart condition and he was told he couldn't play his Sr year. Eastern went onto a good season with 15 wins and a trip to the Convo. Josh dressed all year and on senior night,Coach put Josh in the game with about a minute left to finish his career at Eastern on the floor..With crowd giving him a standing ovation,Coach told him just take it easy as he was just hoping and expecting him to just maybe get a shot up..well Josh got a shot up, made it, started pressing full court,got a steal and a layup,Crowd went nuts, pretty cool moment to see ..so much for taking it easy lol.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

beaverlover wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:58 pm I played for Eastern Pike in 1999 for coach Caldwell,I was a senior.. I had a teammate named Josh who was a starter and a good player,he averaged double figures in scoring that year as a Jr. Eastern had alot coming back the following year including Josh,but doctors discovered that he had a heart condition and he was told he couldn't play his Sr year. Eastern went onto a good season with 15 wins and a trip to the Convo. Josh dressed all year and on senior night,Coach put Josh in the game with about a minute left to finish his career at Eastern on the floor..With crowd giving him a standing ovation,Coach told him just take it easy as he was just hoping and expecting him to just maybe get a shot up..well Josh got a shot up, made it, started pressing full court,got a steal and a layup,Crowd went nuts, pretty cool moment to see ..so much for taking it easy lol.
I student taught at Eastern the year before that...didn’t realize he was unable to play his senior year

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Yep,that was a rough couple years. In 99 Doug and Danny Williams transferred,we lost starting PG in game 4 with a torn ACL, In 2000, same starting PG tore other ACL early in season,plus losing Josh who.was other guard.. ended up having a forward running the point.
.That 00 team overcome alot to reach district final that season

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Senior night for Fisher Catholic was tonight against New Hope CA. The highlight of tonight was senior Evan Long checking in during the second half and swishing a three on a kick-out. Evan was diagnosed not too long ago with, what I believe is, a form of muscular dystrophy.

Evan is a great teammate, hard worker and a good kid. He’s notched in a couple times into the scoring column this year, in fact. What probably makes this a ‘feel good’ story in particular is the energy and confidence as the play is made. Point guard dishes out and raises his hand, shot is good and the place erupts. Video here: https://twitter.com/fcboysbball/status/ ... 89920?s=21

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

formerfcfan wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 pm Senior night for Fisher Catholic was tonight against New Hope CA. The highlight of tonight was senior Evan Long checking in during the second half and swishing a three on a kick-out. Evan was diagnosed not too long ago with, what I believe is, a form of muscular dystrophy.

Evan is a great teammate, hard worker and a good kid. He’s notched in a couple times into the scoring column this year, in fact. What probably makes this a ‘feel good’ story in particular is the energy and confidence as the play is made. Point guard dishes out and raises his hand, shot is good and the place erupts. Video here: https://twitter.com/fcboysbball/status/ ... 89920?s=21
That was really great to see. Point guard raising his hand, and you are right, the crowd really did erupt. Really glad you had the Video.

Return to “Boys Basketball”