Freshman Team

01/18/19 Chesapeake @ Gallia Academy

Post by SEOAL74 »

Thoughts on this OVC Matchup

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Re: 01/18/19 Chesapeake @ Gallia Academy

Post by SEOAL74 »

This should be a good game I look for Gallia to builded on their win over Portsmouth and win this one 64 to 53 Gallia needs to get on a roll and put some wins together. I thought Gallia played ok against Portsmouth but we had some defensive lapses and we took a few bad shots. Gallia when they learn to share the basketball and don't care who scores the points they can be as good as anyone in this area. Gallia has at least 6 guys on this team who can score in double figures on any given night. Gallia don't have anyone that a team can say we have to shut down this kid to beat them.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I will take the Blue Devils at home. After getting there confidence back, I think they can see that they can play some pretty good basketball together.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I like the blue devils to win this. Would like to see the blue devils take another step forward. To me the signs of that would be keeping Chesapeake below 50 points. The blue devils have athletes not basketball players so you are going to see breakdowns because they have some fundamental problems. Your not going to fix big fundamental problems in the middle of season or even in one season. So this team needs to continue to use its athleticism on defense. What I would like to see them add in to there right man to man defense is a 1-3-1 zone foul line extended and trap out of it in front court. This will
Allow them to continue to force turnovers and use there athletes but allow a triangular defense behind them to cut down on the cutters back doors and layups. And mix this defense. Do not want to see them go to a basic zone. Doing that takes away your greatest strength.

On offense I agree that this team has a lot of kids who can score. What this team doesn’t have and haven’t had in the 7 or 8 years I have been back into following this team and that is a point guard. They don’t develop them and it hurts this team and has hurt this team. Since they don’t have a good distributor of the ball that makes them less then great receivers of the ball. So you have to realize you are going to turn the ball over more then average so you have to force more on defensive end.

So this team needs to exploit matchups and create one on one opportunities and everyone crash the boards. You would think with as many guys that we have that are great dribble drive guys that can get to bucket thatcat least one of them would be good of penetrate and distribute.

But we don’t have that. If they can just do what they do well they will win a lot of games.

This is a big if. But if this team could win out they I think would still be the 1 or 2 seed in this sectional. To do that though they can’t lose any of these games they should be able to handle then manage a home win against ironton. Go on road and beat a fairland team that destroyed you and a game that should be for the league title. And beat a very good warrrn team at home.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

I'll take Chesapeake against Gallia without Loveday

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

svac83 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:45 am I like the blue devils to win this. Would like to see the blue devils take another step forward. To me the signs of that would be keeping Chesapeake below 50 points. The blue devils have athletes not basketball players so you are going to see breakdowns because they have some fundamental problems. Your not going to fix big fundamental problems in the middle of season or even in one season. So this team needs to continue to use its athleticism on defense. What I would like to see them add in to there right man to man defense is a 1-3-1 zone foul line extended and trap out of it in front court. This will
Allow them to continue to force turnovers and use there athletes but allow a triangular defense behind them to cut down on the cutters back doors and layups. And mix this defense. Do not want to see them go to a basic zone. Doing that takes away your greatest strength.

On offense I agree that this team has a lot of kids who can score. What this team doesn’t have and haven’t had in the 7 or 8 years I have been back into following this team and that is a point guard. They don’t develop them and it hurts this team and has hurt this team. Since they don’t have a good distributor of the ball that makes them less then great receivers of the ball. So you have to realize you are going to turn the ball over more then average so you have to force more on defensive end.

So this team needs to exploit matchups and create one on one opportunities and everyone crash the boards. You would think with as many guys that we have that are great dribble drive guys that can get to bucket thatcat least one of them would be good of penetrate and distribute.

But we don’t have that. If they can just do what they do well they will win a lot of games.

This is a big if. But if this team could win out they I think would still be the 1 or 2 seed in this sectional. To do that though they can’t lose any of these games they should be able to handle then manage a home win against ironton. Go on road and beat a fairland team that destroyed you and a game that should be for the league title. And beat a very good warrrn team at home.
Good Post!

BigBlue85
Waterboy

Post by BigBlue85 »

Gallia Academy will run off and hide from Chesapeake in this one. Portsmouth is not your daddy's Portsmouth and only a fraction of the power they once were so I'm not getting too excited about that win. BUT, a win is a win and always better than a loss. That being said look for the Blue to prevail rather easily in this one 67-45 GoBlue BleedBlue

toldya
Freshman Team

Post by toldya »

My glasses are not so blue. I will go with Peake based on one reason. I guess we will know in a few hours.

Unbiased
Waterboy

Post by Unbiased »

I am shocked at the amount of Gallia predictions. It may just be me, and I could be wrong, but I think Chesapeake takes this one by 10-15. Both teams have played one common opponent in the very near past, that is Fairland. Gallia, got ran out of their own gym. While Chesapeake, was leading going into the 4th quarter when Fairland started to take over. I believe that the Blue Devils will finish out the season on a solid note, but I don’t think it starts with this one.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Good win by blue devils tonight but still a lot of things to work on.

I don’t criticize this coaching staff much but we need a substitution pattern and plan if we are going to play like this. We have enough kids that can play this style of basketball that pretty much every 2 or 3 minutes there should be some fresh legs in the game.

A lot of stupid fouls late in game do to tired legs. Also the offense got tired and sloppy for same reason.

Rest up blue devils big week next week. You go to rock hill Tuesday. Friday night you host ironton and Saturday night you get warren at home.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

And one more thing Justin in the 5 spot on defense did a great job. Never thought of him that way but he is your strong thick body.

DaBlueDevilFan1988
Waterboy

Post by DaBlueDevilFan1988 »

Another strong performance from the blue devils. Cory Call still up for the mythical OVC POY. And YoungBull Caleb Henry came up big with 15 alongside Justin McClelland who had 14. It's safe to say, when you play the Devils at home it's like a trip to hell.

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

A good game by the Blue Devils! I thought we played better tonight than we did Tuesday night. Our bench I thought didn’t play as well tonight and it hurt us some when they were on the floor tonight, but I do believe we have a good bench and I think we should be playing Brennan CARTER some he’s not a bad player and isn’t even getting into the games and he’s a senior who could help them some.

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

Unbiased wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:36 pm I am shocked at the amount of Gallia predictions. It may just be me, and I could be wrong, but I think Chesapeake takes this one by 10-15. Both teams have played one common opponent in the very near past, that is Fairland. Gallia, got ran out of their own gym. While Chesapeake, was leading going into the 4th quarter when Fairland started to take over. I believe that the Blue Devils will finish out the season on a solid note, but I don’t think it starts with this one.
You can't compare scores of other games it's all about match ups and the Fairland game was a game that Gallia didn't show up and didn't have enough time to prepare for Fairland without Loveday. Gallia went into that game against Fairland having just beaten South Point soundly and knowing that Fairland lost to South Point 49 to 35 and was leading at the Half 35 to 7. I can tell you this Fairland is not no 25 points better than the Blue Devils they just caught them at the right time. I really believe this Blue Devil team is going to get better and better and I think they will be a better team without Loveday!

Unbiased
Waterboy

Post by Unbiased »

SEOAL74 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:18 pm
Unbiased wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:36 pm I am shocked at the amount of Gallia predictions. It may just be me, and I could be wrong, but I think Chesapeake takes this one by 10-15. Both teams have played one common opponent in the very near past, that is Fairland. Gallia, got ran out of their own gym. While Chesapeake, was leading going into the 4th quarter when Fairland started to take over. I believe that the Blue Devils will finish out the season on a solid note, but I don’t think it starts with this one.
You can't compare scores of other games it's all about match ups and the Fairland game was a game that Gallia didn't show up and didn't have enough time to prepare for Fairland without Loveday. Gallia went into that game against Fairland having just beaten South Point soundly and knowing that Fairland lost to South Point 49 to 35 and was leading at the Half 35 to 7. I can tell you this Fairland is not no 25 points better than the Blue Devils they just caught them at the right time. I really believe this Blue Devil team is going to get better and better and I think they will be a better team without Loveday!
I meant no disrespect to the Blue Devils. Though I disagree, if you were saying that they are competitive with Fairland on another night, I can and will admit that they proved me wrong tonight. I have had a confidence in this years Chesapeake team after I watched them play Athens, they have not played like I would hope. Big win by the Blue Devils though, hopefully it will spark a run to close the season!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Congrats Blue Devils on the win over The Peake. Remember, one game at a time.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

74 I hope you are correct. I will be at fairland and be rooting hard for the blue devils and hopefully we have a game plan and execute it and win. And I think they can but I won’t be shocked if they run the blue devils out of building.

I have saw nothing over the last few years or this year to believe the blue devils are a better team then fairland do I believe the blue devils can win yes. But they will have to play there best game of year

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

svac83 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:54 pm
74 I hope you are correct. I will be at fairland and be rooting hard for the blue devils and hopefully we have a game plan and execute it and win. And I think they can but I won’t be shocked if they run the blue devils out of building.

I have saw nothing over the last few years or this year to believe the blue devils are a better team then fairland do I believe the blue devils can win yes. But they will have to play there best game of year
I believe this next 4 game stretch @ Rock Hill then Ironton, Warren and Coal Grove all @ home will tell us where the Blue Devils are at if we can win all those games and that's a big if we will be ready for a rematch with Fairland. We still have time to improve on a few things and get a lot better. We are just now learning to play without Loveday in which this team was build around and I believe it hurt some of Gallia's Players and limited them on what they could do. Opposing teams are now learning this team was more than Loveday they have some kids on this team who can play! When you have as many as kids as Gallia who can score the Ball it makes you dangerous as a team.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Each of those games in that stretch will be its own challenge. Rock hill has played so many teams closeyou got to figure they are going to get someone. Then the ironton game is going to be physical pounding on both sides. And how you come out of that game and have the energy to be at your best against warren is a big as cgallenge as you ever face and then you get Cole grove the next Tuesday your right that is a tough stretch. But I will be disappointed if tgeee not at least 3-1 and think they can go 4-0.

The only reason I say what I say about the blue devils and fairland is. It is just not a good matchup for the blue devils. What the blue devils do well offensively is exactly what fairland defends the best. How Gallia Academy defends is a defense fairland is built to attack. That is why I think it is all game plan. You must do things you don’t normally do and do them well.

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

svac83 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:31 am Each of those games in that stretch will be its own challenge. Rock hill has played so many teams closeyou got to figure they are going to get someone. Then the ironton game is going to be physical pounding on both sides. And how you come out of that game and have the energy to be at your best against warren is a big as cgallenge as you ever face and then you get Cole grove the next Tuesday your right that is a tough stretch. But I will be disappointed if tgeee not at least 3-1 and think they can go 4-0.

The only reason I say what I say about the blue devils and fairland is. It is just not a good matchup for the blue devils. What the blue devils do well offensively is exactly what fairland defends the best. How Gallia Academy defends is a defense fairland is built to attack. That is why I think it is all game plan. You must do things you don’t normally do and do them well.
I talked to a Hall of fame basketball coach on how do do defend Fairland's type of offense he said the main thing is you have to put pressure on their guards and it has to be man to man and make every pass difficult and never lose site of who your guarding or you will pay for it!

Return to “Boys Basketball”