Athens v. Alexander Round 2

basketball12349
Riding the Bench

Athens v. Alexander Round 2

Post by basketball12349 »

Thoughts on this game coming up? I feel that it will be a very close game as always between the two teams but "the alley" is a tough place to play for the visiting team. Alexander seems like they have improved from beating VC by 1 point at the beginning of the year then now an easy 30. Should be a good game! Thoughts?

Barber1973
Freshman Team

Re: Athens v. Alexander Round 2

Post by Barber1973 »

Alex by 10

basketball12349
Riding the Bench

Post by basketball12349 »

Figured you guys would have more to say. This should be the TVC Ohio championship game for sure. Going to be packed in the alley!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Alex by 2

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Alex will win by 10 to 15--if they "Get Terry the ball"--there is nobody in the TVC that can guard him---get him the ball---Athens going in wrong direction--last year they started out slow and made a great comeback---don't see it this year!!! I thought they would run thru the TVC--not close. Just not playing as a team.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

vcgrad wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:00 am Alex will win by 10 to 15--if they "Get Terry the ball"--there is nobody in the TVC that can guard him---get him the ball---Athens going in wrong direction--last year they started out slow and made a great comeback---don't see it this year!!! I thought they would run thru the TVC--not close. Just not playing as a team.
Athens is (12-2) in their last 14 games ... lol
Played VC without Williams, which made a huge difference.
Beat Alexander by 10 earlier and Terry was held scoreless. ZERO points. Hynes and Butcher are more than capable of guarding him, which was evident in first match-up.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Alexander mayby better not be looking to far ahead to the Bulldogs, as I think they have a date with Oak Hill coming up tomorrow night, and Stormin Norm has been know to win a game or two. OH is not the team of the past 2 or 3 years, but you just never know.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

vcgrad wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:00 am Alex will win by 10 to 15--if they "Get Terry the ball"--there is nobody in the TVC that can guard him---get him the ball---Athens going in wrong direction--last year they started out slow and made a great comeback---don't see it this year!!! I thought they would run thru the TVC--not close. Just not playing as a team.
Curious as to where you are getting the info that Athens is not playing as a team? If you look at the stat lines of the games the scoring is pretty evenly distributed amongst the starting five and now even the 6th man Markins. VC has to rely on Arbaugh solely. With Athens any player on the team can be leading scorer any given night.

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

I honestly have no good prediction on this game. it could go either way. there are a lot of factors that go into this game so I have no clue.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens 41
Alexander 39

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

This will be an interesting matchup. Style favors Athens, I think if Alexander can find a way to speed the game up and extend the benches of both teams that give us the best chance to win.

slowdown game verses the zone Athens 43-40. up tempo both teams playing 9 deep, Alexander 62 - 55.

Go Alex.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

spartans_fan wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:55 pm This will be an interesting matchup. Style favors Athens, I think if Alexander can find a way to speed the game up and extend the benches of both teams that give us the best chance to win.

slowdown game verses the zone Athens 43-40. up tempo both teams playing 9 deep, Alexander 62 - 55.

Go Alex.
I agree. Athens does not want to get into a track meet with Alex.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Reds Fan wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:47 pm I honestly have no good prediction on this game. it could go either way. there are a lot of factors that go into this game so I have no clue.
My thoughts exactly.
Big crowd, lots of pressure, who handles it the best (mentally) may come out on top.

On a side note: I hope the refs let Section 8 be Section 8. Just adds to the atmosphere, imo.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:05 pm
Reds Fan wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:47 pm I honestly have no good prediction on this game. it could go either way. there are a lot of factors that go into this game so I have no clue.
My thoughts exactly.
Big crowd, lots of pressure, who handles it the best (mentally) may come out on top.

On a side note: I hope the refs let Section 8 be Section 8. Just adds to the atmosphere, imo.
That only happens when Vinton County comes to the Ally. Section 8 will be worked up for this one.

Go Alex!

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

spartans_fan wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:55 pm This will be an interesting matchup. Style favors Athens, I think if Alexander can find a way to speed the game up and extend the benches of both teams that give us the best chance to win.

Go Alex.
Does Athens go Zone, 3-2 or man to man? If Man to Man, who do u put on Mecum and Kearns? I know Kearns scores the brunt of the point for Alexander last time. Based on Bulldogs93, info last few games Maxfield covering the key player, so do you put him on Mecum or Kearns with the assumption Williams covers the other. How did Mecum do against Maxfield head to head last time? I believe he covered him when they went man and Williams had Kearns. Any thoughts on putting Chubb on Terry? Or do you double down with Butcher and Hynes pushing him out of the lane. Doubtful Terry u give away to many points inside so going to be up to the transition offense and outside shooting so Butcher, Chubb and Markins might need to get hot from the outside. Rest on Tuesday and the shooting display vs Nelsonville and Woods academy might have been a good thing for their confidence outside.
Buttttt it’s at Alexander, a difficult crowd, refs seem to be a yearly factor and everyone is going to be on edge to score. It will take all the Bulldogs scoring and GREAT passing to win this.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

With Terry playing much better lately, just go with a zone D, let Hynes and Butcher deal with him down low.
Chubb, Maxfield, Elijah play a match up zone on the outside covering up Mecum , Riley and Kearns.

That's just a guess.

Athens will probably try a little of everything.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Athens by 14

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Is this the year Alexander breaks the Convo curse?

A win here would help in seeding.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Maxfield/Mecum. Hynes/Irwin. Butcher/Terry. Williams/Kearns. Chubb/Riley. Markins/Brown. MAN O MAN!!! Not Sure I have ever seen 2 teams match up like this. Throw down in the Alley Friday night-Let’s get it on!!!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Alexander vs Athens at The Alley

Return to “Boys Basketball”