Wheelersburg vs Oak Hill, 1/18/19

3sUp
Varsity

Re: Wheelersburg vs Oak Hill, 1/18/19

Post by 3sUp »

wobycat wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:27 am During the fan ejection, I watched norm stare down the AD for Burg and say something to him. I’m sure it wasn’t sorry. Fans feed off this type of mentality. I’ve seen a lot of threads this year with Oak Hill involved. He’s a great basketball coach but his legacy will be known as a hit head.
Woby, do you make any posts that aren’t bashing the other team or defending the burg for something? I get it’s hard not to be biased and you want to defend your team but these posts just make the argument escalate.

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

gametime wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:23 am
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:49 am
SOC94 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:26 pm

I’ll gladly take your money. If you read my posts Bandit I plainly stated refs don’t win or lose ball games. You’re just showing your true stupidity by commenting on something you didn’t take the time to read.
Then if the officiating doesn’t win or lose games why do you and others spend so much time bashing it. Keyboard warrior and official and I may as well add coaching expert who probably never accomplished anything ever in sports.
I think what a lot of people are saying even though the officials was one sided in the second half oak hill still had a chance to win. If anyone at that game knows anything about basketball they knew what was going on with the officials. This Game was disgraceful to all good, Honest officials that try to do a good job.
The better team won bottom line! But let's blame every loss on the officials it's always their fault lol

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:14 am

Then if the officiating doesn’t win or lose games why do you and others spend so much time bashing it. Keyboard warrior and official and I may as well add coaching expert who probably never accomplished anything ever in sports.
I think what a lot of people are saying even though the officials was one sided in the second half oak hill still had a chance to win. If anyone at that game knows anything about basketball they knew what was going on with the officials. This Game was disgraceful to all good, Honest officials that try to do a good job.
The better team won bottom line! But let's blame every loss on the officials it's always their fault lol
I Guess it’s over no need to show up,Burg has spoken 😂

You can't handle the truth
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

3sUp wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:48 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:27 am During the fan ejection, I watched norm stare down the AD for Burg and say something to him. I’m sure it wasn’t sorry. Fans feed off this type of mentality. I’ve seen a lot of threads this year with Oak Hill involved. He’s a great basketball coach but his legacy will be known as a hit head.
Woby, do you make any posts that aren’t bashing the other team or defending the burg for something? I get it’s hard not to be biased and you want to defend your team but these posts just make the argument escalate.
Not on this thread. Not a fan of norm.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:19 pm

Why $200? Lol
I’ll gladly take your money. If you read my posts Bandit I plainly stated refs don’t win or lose ball games. You’re just showing your true stupidity by commenting on something you didn’t take the time to read.
All I said was the crew was bad when I was in school and is still bad. If that struck a nerve then you have some serious issues. No keyboard warrior. I’m beyond proud of what I accomplished in high school. So take your ignorance else where. Have a good day.

Alwaysanoak
Waterboy

Post by Alwaysanoak »

wobycat wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:38 am
3sUp wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:48 am
Not on this thread. Not a fan of norm.
Wobycat, you say you’re not a fan of Norm but yet you are obviously watching his every move. Most fans would be watching the comotion not our coach lol. Maybe a love/hate relationship you have with our HOF coach?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

As I said in an earlier post, I was not really a fan of either team,but just knowing the history of these 2 schools when playing each other in basketball, I figured it would be a great game to go and see. Let me just touch on this real quick, in no way am I defending the guy throwing a bottle or any other thing on the floor or any place at all. He was thrown out, and he should have been. This doesn't make it one bit better, and even though it was thrown in the direction of the student section, the opinion of some of the people sitting nearby was that it was thrown toward the official on the uncalled goaltending call. Bad regardless anyway you look at it. It's probably not fair to label all OH fans as bad, when I'm pretty sure that the Burg has there rabid fans as well. I think sometimes we as fans when following our favorite team, and we don't always win in the way we are used to winning, that we don't always give proper credit to our opponent. Rather than saying Holden wasn't 100%, just mayby No.24 and 4 were playing pretty good defense on him. And they weren't taking him out because he was sick, but mayby to give instructions in how to get more involved in there offense. One other thing I noticed was that No 24 was making Holden work on defense harder than usual. 24 wasn't always finishing at the basket, but he was most certainly getting there. You know that might have been the best thing that could happen to the Burg, they are a very good team, but has been taken to the end in both of there last 2 games. Sometimes we might read to much about how good we are, and really need a wakeup call. As far as the officals are concerned, I'm not even going to go there. Win or lose, I'm tired of talking about the officals every game.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Just curious, has anyone seen a video of the block/goal tending?

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I have not seen a video. When the play happened, I really thought that they had called a foul on the Burg on the play. As I was leaving the parking lot, I tuned in to 95'7, but they were doing the Ironton-PHS game and it was in the 3rd Qtr. I then got 99'3 and they were doing the wrap-up to the Burg-OH game. I have no idea who these guys are or whose games they usually do. They were talking about the goaltending call not being called, and that it was probably a critical non-call in the game. If it sounds as if I thought it should have been called or not, I don't really know, I'm just saying what I heard on the radio and what I've seen posted on this site.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

SOC94 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:16 pm

All I said was the crew was bad when I was in school and is still bad. If that struck a nerve then you have some serious issues. No keyboard warrior. I’m beyond proud of what I accomplished in high school. So take your ignorance else where. Have a good day.
No nerve struck. Just saying if you are such a good official why are you not out there giving back to the game???

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Well, in today’s age of social media and instant video excuse me for being critical that NOT 1 piece of video has surfaced to confirm the complaints that many of you have. Hell 1 poster claimed Norm has had only 3 T’s in his career and this crew gave him 2. Yet, Norm averages probably that many a season. I’ve got a payceck that says the call at the rim on the “goaltending” was correct. Wasn’t at the game, but know enough about this place to know if it was a poor call that the video would already be posted somewhere. 😎

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

This adds nothing but when Jackson was at Burg...Holden jumped and swatted the ball at the top of the square. Many Jackson fans around me were yelling for goal tending but we are so not used to anyone even being able to block a ball close to that high, we just don’t see it. It wasn’t the easiest call for the refs because they likely don’t see it much either and it “felt” like a goal tend, but it was not and they got it right.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:50 pm This adds nothing but when Jackson was at Burg...Holden jumped and swatted the ball at the top of the square. Many Jackson fans around me were yelling for goal tending but we are so not used to anyone even being able to block a ball close to that high, we just don’t see it. It wasn’t the easiest call for the refs because they likely don’t see it much either and it “felt” like a goal tend, but it was not and they got it right.
Sounds like Ibi Watson at Logan Elm. Called a goal tending on a block off the top of the square. Something you rarely see

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

If you go to Wheelersburg Basketball's Hudl account, they have highlights of each game. There is a video of the block and it seems to be a typical bang bang play. Tough to tell if it hit to board first but a great effort play to say the least. Holden comes from behind the 3 line to get the block.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:42 pm If you go to Wheelersburg Basketball's Hudl account, they have highlights of each game. There is a video of the block and it seems to be a typical bang bang play. Tough to tell if it hit to board first but a great effort play to say the least. Holden comes from behind the 3 line to get the block.
I haven't seen the clip but the backboard plays no part in a goaltend call. Only the fact that the ball is or isn't in its downward trajectory when the ball is interfered with. Beyond the cylinder infraction.

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:23 pm
spider2Ybanana wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:42 pm If you go to Wheelersburg Basketball's Hudl account, they have highlights of each game. There is a video of the block and it seems to be a typical bang bang play. Tough to tell if it hit to board first but a great effort play to say the least. Holden comes from behind the 3 line to get the block.
I haven't seen the clip but the backboard plays no part in a goaltend call. Only the fact that the ball is or isn't in its downward trajectory when the ball is interfered with. Beyond the cylinder infraction.
If the ball hits the backboard first (above rim level), before the defensive player touches it, it is a goaltend. This is not the same as pinning the ball on the glass. As long as the defensive player touches the ball first, pinning the ball on the glass is not a violation.
Last edited by spider2Ybanana on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:45 pm
If the ball hits the backboard first, before the defensive player touches it, it is a goaltend.
That is not in the goaltending rule.

Google "most misunderstood basketball rules" and you will find the interfering with the ball after it contacts the backboard version of goaltending.
Last edited by Tri-StateYouthSports on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Spider,
You are wrong—- the ball can hit the backboard and then be hit. As long as it’s on its way up and not in or on the cylinder.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:48 pm
spider2Ybanana wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:45 pm

If the ball hits the backboard first, before the defensive player touches it, it is a goaltend.
That is not in the goaltending rule.
http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_11.html

Rule #11 in the game of basketball-Basketball interference-Goaltending
Secion1-A parts D and E.

Unless the goaltending rule is defined differently depending on the level of play.
Last edited by spider2Ybanana on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tomcat
Riding the Bench

Post by tomcat »

Yes if the ball hits the backboard on its way up or going down it is goaltending. You can pin a ball against the backboard as long as it hasn’t touched the backboard and is on its way up.

Return to “Boys Basketball”