Wheelersburg vs Oak Hill, 1/18/19

burgfella69
JV Team

Wheelersburg vs Oak Hill, 1/18/19

Post by burgfella69 »

Big rematch for the SOC race. Burg currently 2 games ahead of everyone, a win in this one would certainly make them huge favorites for the golden ball. Burg won last match-up 76-57 at Oak Hill.

Holden had 24 and 8, Truitt had 18, and Connor Mullins had 15, with a solid 8 from Trent Salyers and 8 from Miller off the bench.
Hammond and Darby combined for 52 of Oak Hill's 57, Hammond with 32 and 11. Hammond was unstoppable in the post and Darby was very solid in transition.

Burg (12-0) coming off a big overtime win against Jackson while Oak Hill (9-3) has lost 2 of their last 4.

Thoughts?

bigburgboy
Riding the Bench

Re: Wheelersburg vs Oak Hill, 1/18/19

Post by bigburgboy »

With this game being at burg I can see them winning by 10-15, they need to start taking better care of the ball.
Turnovers is what caused their last game to be so close.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

bigburgboy wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:35 am With this game being at burg I can see them winning by 10-15, they need to start taking better care of the ball.
Turnovers is what caused their last game to be so close.
agreed

OSU Alumni 2000
Riding the Bench

Post by OSU Alumni 2000 »

Burg by 25.

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

I think it will be closer than the first matchup if Burg plays like they did most of the game against Jackson. Burg needs to put together a good 4 quarter effort need to not to get up by double digits and then take their foot off the gas that's happened in a few games I've been too this year. Burg 72 Oak Hill 59

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:51 pm I think it will be closer than the first matchup if Burg plays like they did most of the game against Jackson. Burg needs to put together a good 4 quarter effort need to not to get up by double digits and then take their foot off the gas that's happened in a few games I've been too this year. Burg 72 Oak Hill 59
If Burg shoots over 50% for 3 quarters it’s not going to be close at all

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Oak Hill with Hammond/Darby/Hanning/Harden are a good ball club but what they are not is Wheelersburg ... the Burg has too many pieces as starters AND scorers/defenders coming in off the bench ... Oak Hill can not handle the pressure that WHS will apply on the perimeter - OHHS had 25 turnovers in their loss to Coal Grove ... as good as Darby is , he is not a pg who can handle pressure ... as always to have a chance the Oaks will have to control the tempo - they will have to hit shots, if they don't hit shots Wheelersburg rebounds so well and gets out in transition so quickly - this one may get out of hand quickly on the Pirates home court ... we'll see ! the game isn't played on paper or determined by some cheap seat guy like me LOL ... best of luck to both of these TEAMS !

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

First off I doubt that this opinion is going to sit well with a lot of the Oak Hill fans.After watching both of these teams this year, I think there is the largest disparity in talent between these two teams, that I can remember in quite a few years.After seeing and reading about how these three, the Burg, Coal Grove, and Waverly pressed and pressured OH into turnover after turnover, ( I might add all 3 games were played at Oak Hill ) how anyone could think that things would get any better now when having to play at Wheelersburg. I hope I'm wrong and that it could be a very good ballgame. I know the effort will be there, as it is with any Norm Persin coached team, but sometimes effort will only take a team so far.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:35 am First off I doubt that this opinion is going to sit well with a lot of the Oak Hill fans.After watching both of these teams this year, I think there is the largest disparity in talent between these two teams, that I can remember in quite a few years.After seeing and reading about how these three, the Burg, Coal Grove, and Waverly pressed and pressured OH into turnover after turnover, ( I might add all 3 games were played at Oak Hill ) how anyone could think that things would get any better now when having to play at Wheelersburg. I hope I'm wrong and that it could be a very good ballgame. I know the effort will be there, as it is with any Norm Persin coached team, but sometimes effort will only take a team so far.
bold statement, I have to say I agree.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

Going into the season I figured we would struggle with pressure and a lack of a 3rd scorer. Hard for Darby and Hammond to do damage when our guard play struggles with pressure. Darby is only human and tires quickly against all the pressure running the point. Hammond gets 2 or 3 defenders his way when he catches it inside the paint. Lack of outside shooting and a true PG were always gonna be the deciding factor on if they could beat the good teams in southern Ohio. We can beat bad to above average teams but good to great we really struggle with.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

SOC94 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:43 pm Going into the season I figured we would struggle with pressure and a lack of a 3rd scorer. Hard for Darby and Hammond to do damage when our guard play struggles with pressure. Darby is only human and tires quickly against all the pressure running the point. Hammond gets 2 or 3 defenders his way when he catches it inside the paint. Lack of outside shooting and a true PG were always gonna be the deciding factor on if they could beat the good teams in southern Ohio. We can beat bad to above average teams but good to great we really struggle with.
In watching OH play against one of the better teams, you are right on point. Darby and Hammond can only do so much. Regardless even if they both have good scoring games, they will still not be able to score enough points to be able to beat the better teams.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Unless someone steps up as the third scorer for the Oaks, they are going to struggle. Hammond and Darby can have 25 each but unless someone else has 15 or more, the result will be the same

23tdb
Riding the Bench

Post by 23tdb »

47-37 burg won

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Turning point in this very close and very hotly contested game was Norm getting his technical and the Oak Hill fans throwing things on the floor and getting tossed. It seemed the Burg played harder after that.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
Bradley39
Riding the Bench

Post by Bradley39 »

An obvious missed goaltending call decided this game. Sick for the Oak Hill players who came to play and flat out wanted it more. Credit to the Burg players for never letting Oak Hill pull away, but once again Wheelersburg is bailed out at home by poor officiating. 9-2 final foul count in the second half after Burg trailed by 3 at halftime. Fishy. Both teams played motivated after the fans were ejected, but Burg’s talent capped the fourth quarter. Hard to imagine Burg losing another game this season and will make a deep tournament run. As for the Oaks, this game may give them momentum as they look to make a tourney run. Unfortunate that the stripes ruin another great game.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

No excuse for it!!!! A grown man throwing a partially filled pop bottle from his seat at mid court and it landing in the middle of the Burg student section. If that wasn’t enough, he wanted to fight the world after that. Pretty pathetic!!!

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

Bradley39 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:14 pm An obvious missed goaltending call decided this game. Sick for the Oak Hill players who came to play and flat out wanted it more. Credit to the Burg players for never letting Oak Hill pull away, but once again Wheelersburg is bailed out at home by poor officiating. 9-2 final foul count in the second half after Burg trailed by 3 at halftime. Fishy. Both teams played motivated after the fans were ejected, but Burg’s talent capped the fourth quarter. Hard to imagine Burg losing another game this season and will make a deep tournament run. As for the Oaks, this game may give them momentum as they look to make a tourney run. Unfortunate that the stripes ruin another great game.
Have to agree with some missed calls and bad calls but it definitely went both ways and no way did a missed goal tending call decide this game and I agree it was goal tending but I seen plenty of fouls that weren't called on Oak Hill. If the Oaks had a good shooting guard they would be hard to beat #4 and #24 are excellent players but Burg is little more athletic and better on defense

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Bradley39 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:14 pm An obvious missed goaltending call decided this game. Sick for the Oak Hill players who came to play and flat out wanted it more. Credit to the Burg players for never letting Oak Hill pull away, but once again Wheelersburg is bailed out at home by poor officiating. 9-2 final foul count in the second half after Burg trailed by 3 at halftime. Fishy. Both teams played motivated after the fans were ejected, but Burg’s talent capped the fourth quarter. Hard to imagine Burg losing another game this season and will make a deep tournament run. As for the Oaks, this game may give them momentum as they look to make a tourney run. Unfortunate that the stripes ruin another great game.
The referees didn’t cause Oak Hill to lose this game. The OH players on the floor lost the game. Norm’s temper lost the game. Oak Hill missed A LOT of easy shots around the basket and were out rebounded numerous times. The Oaks played a good first half, but they didn’t play as well in the second half. The final second half foul count was due to some intentional fouls by the Oaks. At least 3 were maybe even 4. So were the referees bailing out The Burg when they didn’t count his game tying 3 pointer at the halftime buzzer even though it was already in the air BEFORE the buzzer sounded. Doesn’t seem like it. You know who bailed out The Burg? Themselves. They stepped up their game in the second half and refused to lose.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Once again. The officials were assigned by the league. Burg has no say. The officials did not decide the game. As far as the goal tend. Could have been but norm is an idiot and his fans feed off of him. Grown men yelling F You several times over and over again and throwing things at a high school basketball game. They need banned.

Bradley39
Riding the Bench

Post by Bradley39 »

Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:28 pm
Have to agree with some missed calls and bad calls but it definitely went both ways and no way did a missed goal tending call decide this game and I agree it was goal tending but I seen plenty of fouls that weren't called on Oak Hill. If the Oaks had a good shooting guard they would be hard to beat #4 and #24 are excellent players but Burg is little more athletic and better on defense
Bad calls both ways, yes. But are you saying Burg only fouled twice in the whole second half? I’m not saying it was one sided the whole time but just when it mattered. Oak Hill was down 4 before the goaltend which gave Burg 2 points and the ensuing technical made the play a 4 point swing. When you’re down 8 late in the game against a more athletic team, hard to come back.

Return to “Boys Basketball”