Transfers, Is there too many loop holes?

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Transfers, Is there too many loop holes?

Post by Truth&fiction »

Whats everyone thoughts . Should certain situations be looked at if there is a pattern ? Name some good points and bad points . Is the OHSAA watching close enough ?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Transfers, Is there too many loop holes?

Post by danicalifornia »

Why does no one mention when a student moves from School A to School B for academics? Should that student have to sit out half of their AP classes?

Seriously though, I see nothing wrong with getting into the best situation for yourself to enjoy your high school years. I think that the rules that are in place now are pretty ridiculous as well, so it really should slow down transfers since sitting out half of a season is a pretty big deal to the kids.

With competitive balance in play now, it likely will affect schools wanting transfers as well.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I, like danicalifornia, have no problem with the transfer issue in today's HS sports. But for the would-be transfer, be careful what you wish for. There's always politics, parents, and cliques no matter what school system someone transfers to. If a kid were to transfer, it probably should be no later than his/her sophomore year so they can get acclimated to their new school. To transfer in their senior season is much too risky given all the factors mentioned previously.......and with the new OHSAA rules you certainly don't want to sit out half a season as a senior.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

I to dislike the sitting half a season . A move in is legit and to better yourself I think is OK . Could all this be monitored better ? I do not know . Loading up with top players has been going on for a long time just not in Basketball . This is only for discussion and due to quiet posting. Thanks for your comments .

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

I think the transfer rules are trying to help eliminate recruiting the "super teams".

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Everyone recruits to a certain degree, some do it more than others and some are better at it than others. AAU is the cancer that creates some of it.
Not sure what can be done about it. As many rules as they have, recruiting and transferring is as rampant as ever.

Blackcobra
Freshman Team

Post by Blackcobra »

OHSAA is unorganized and unprepared for transfers, the rules are punishing kids that been caught in domestic situations...those up to no good slip through easily, i can take a kid and put him in any school i want its that easy if you study.

falcon117
Riding the Bench

Post by falcon117 »

trojandave wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:59 am I, like danicalifornia, have no problem with the transfer issue in today's HS sports. But for the would-be transfer, be careful what you wish for. There's always politics, parents, and cliques no matter what school system someone transfers to. If a kid were to transfer, it probably should be no later than his/her sophomore year so they can get acclimated to their new school. To transfer in their senior season is much too risky given all the factors mentioned previously.......and with the new OHSAA rules you certainly don't want to sit out half a season as a senior.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to transfer (look at what Oak Hill will put on the court this season). I would advise the kids wanting to transfer that the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If you transfer while school is out you shouldn't have to sit out. If you transfer in during the schools season because of a family split you shouldn't have to sit out any. So many more reasons.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

i don't have a prob with a student transferring for academics or if their parents split up but if they choice to do so solely for sports then yes i do feel they should have to sit out

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

I think the State is too easy on transfers. Some schools play by the rules others find ways around them. Let me give you all an example and tell me what you think. Granted this example might prove to be true. Let's say a school has 5 transfers and all of them transferred by exception. That means they can play without sitting out. I'm not saying it can't be done but it just seems highly unlikely. Would you say that this passes the smell test? If you were a State official how would you look at this?

Return to “Boys Basketball”