Jackson @ Wheelersburg

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Jackson @ Wheelersburg

Post by VetteMan »

Does anyone know for sure that Jackson even had a timeout left to be able to call ? Just asking, really don't know ?

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

I felt like a traitor but made the trip down 141 to take this one in. I wasn’t disappointed. Wheelersburg was one run away from me leaving early but Jackson kept playing their tails off and scrapped back. They definitely showed their talents. I’ve seen that Wallis is going to play at Rio Grande and I can see why. That kid can play and just never stops. No clue how he doesn’t tire. Holden didn’t disappoint and teams probably shouldn’t poke that bear. Donaldson missed some open jumpers early but he is so fun to watch on the court. Mullins, Yates hit shots all around the perimeter. The Jackson freshman was in during the crucial run and so was Holden. Some crying above about letting Jackson back in but Holden was in during that big 17 point comeback. A couple big players didn’t show much to me but high school kids have off and on games.

My rooting was kind of like me watching a Steelers vs Ravens game but this game delivered. Wheelersburg better ball movement on offense. Jackson gritty as can be. These teams are close and the game showed exactly that. Burg way better early and Jackson way better late. I mean this game went into overtime at Wheelersburg. Gotta give both teams a lot of credit! I thought this game deserved better officiating but also a very tough game to keep up with. A lot of high level high school players.

Burg could go really deep in the tournament

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:05 pm Does anyone know for sure that Jackson even had a timeout left to be able to call ? Just asking, really don't know ?
... good question ! I have know idea ... the possibility of "talking it over" may not have even been an option LOL ... sitting 90 miles away, not even in the Cheap Seats , having "slept on it" it's so much easier than being courtside, IN THE MOMENT , weighing the options in 5 seconds LOL ... I admire all of these coaches for doing what they do, how they do it - outstanding stuff ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:10 pm
VetteMan wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:05 pm Does anyone know for sure that Jackson even had a timeout left to be able to call ? Just asking, really don't know ?
... good question ! I have know idea ... the possibility of "talking it over" may not have even been an option LOL ... sitting 90 miles away, not even in the Cheap Seats , having "slept on it" it's so much easier than being courtside, IN THE MOMENT , weighing the options in 5 seconds LOL ... I admire all of these coaches for doing what they do, how they do it - outstanding stuff ...
I believe they had 1 or 2 but not positive. Being at the game in the moment...I’m perfectly fine with no timeout. Jackson had every scratch of momentum and Wheelersburg was on their heels. I’ll tip my cap to Burg’s defense on that possession.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

28 vs. 14
Interesting fact vetteman thanks.

Pfloyd I almost asked if they called a timeout last night. Was critical of the 3 at the end too seems like someone would drive and stick one in. 92 said they had lock down d so mabye best option?

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

greygoose wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:23 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:48 pm Great win by the Pirates. Jackson had the shot at the buzzer to win but couldn’t get it to go. No. 3, 10 and 12 carried Jackson down the stretch but 3 should have fouled out before the 4th qtr. You can not bump the offensive player like he did all night while on defense.

On a side note, McDavid needs to get out of reffing. He has always picked on Burg star players over the years and tonight was no different. He called two of the worst fouls on Holden I’ve ever seen. Jackson player drove the lane, Tanner just stood there straight up and he called both fouls. That has to be let go.

Also, how does Holden not touch the ball in the paint. NO ONE AROUND HERE CAN STOP HIM WHEN HE GETS THE BALL THAT DEEP!!!!!!!! When Jackson was making there comeback he hardly touched the ball. Jackson had no one that could guard him.
So there's no bumping in basketball?? LOL. As long as the boys hands are up and he's got defensive position it's his ground just because the offensive player drives it into him while going down the court. Sometimes it probably get a bit excessive and there's times it could be called more, the Remmington boy from Waverly does this exact thing keep the hands up cut off the player. Kind of funny a team gets a nice quality win and you can't help but to point a finger at refs, did they cause Jackson to come back from 17 down?? Did they help get Jackson down by that?? Game went to OT and Burg won a really hard fought game once Jackson decided to play some ball. If he was "picking" on the best player don't you think that player would be in foul trouble all game?? sheesh enjoy the win man. Burg is an excellent team that won a big game at home.

No where did I say it determined the outcome of the game. I guarantee to the refs start calling that in the sectionals and district, the bumping of the offensive player.

On another note you are saying that it is okay for a defender to bump the offensive player and it is not a foul but a defender standing straight up on an offensive player and not making any move for the ball is, because that is what two of the fouls on Holden were and yes he wasn’t in foul trouble but in a sense he was because he picked up his second foul with 3 minutes to go until halftime so he had to sit down and then the picked up his third with 3 minutes to go in the 3rd and he had to sit. After that it changed his whole defensive attitude as he was afraid to get near a guy in fear of another BS foul called on him. If Holden fouls out in that game Burg loses.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

allamericanironman wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:13 pm 28 vs. 14

Pfloyd I almost asked if they called a timeout last night. Was critical of the 3 at the end too seems like someone would drive and stick one in. 92 said they had lock down d so mabye best option?
Were you even at the game and do you even have a clue about basketball? Jackson had to start fouling to make there comeback that is why the discrepancy in the free throws.

SMDH!!’

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:20 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:48 pm Great win by the Pirates. Jackson had the shot at the buzzer to win but couldn’t get it to go. No. 3, 10 and 12 carried Jackson down the stretch but 3 should have fouled out before the 4th qtr. You can not bump the offensive player like he did all night while on defense.

On a side note, McDavid needs to get out of reffing. He has always picked on Burg star players over the years and tonight was no different. He called two of the worst fouls on Holden I’ve ever seen. Jackson player drove the lane, Tanner just stood there straight up and he called both fouls. That has to be let go.

Also, how does Holden not touch the ball in the paint. NO ONE AROUND HERE CAN STOP HIM WHEN HE GETS THE BALL THAT DEEP!!!!!!!! When Jackson was making there comeback he hardly touched the ball. Jackson had no one that could guard him.
So there's no bumping in basketball?? LOL. As long as the boys hands are up and he's got defensive position it's his ground just because the offensive player drives it into him while going down the court. Sometimes it probably get a bit excessive and there's times it could be called more, the Remmington boy from Waverly does this exact thing keep the hands up cut off the player. Kind of funny a team gets a nice quality win and you can't help but to point a finger at refs, did they cause Jackson to come back from 17 down?? Did they help get Jackson down by that?? Game went to OT and Burg won a really hard fought game once Jackson decided to play some ball. If he was "picking" on the best player don't you think that player would be in foul trouble all game?? sheesh enjoy the win man. Burg is an excellent team that won a big game at home.

No where did I say it determined the outcome of the game. I guarantee to the refs start calling that in the sectionals and district, the bumping of the offensive player.

On another note you are saying that it is okay for a defender to bump the offensive player and it is not a foul but a defender standing straight up on an offensive player and not making any move for the ball is, because that is what two of the fouls on Holden were and yes he wasn’t in foul trouble but in a sense he was because he picked up his second foul with 3 minutes to go until halftime so he had to sit down and then the picked up his third with 3 minutes to go in the 3rd and he had to sit. After that it changed his whole defensive attitude as he was afraid to get near a guy in fear of another BS foul called on him. If Holden fouls out in that game Burg loses.
Holden didn’t HAVE to sit with 2 fouls in the first half....Donaldson also had 2 fouls and played smartly the rest of the half and avoided his 3rd
Last edited by Ironman92 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:22 pm
allamericanironman wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:13 pm 28 vs. 14

Were you even at the game and do you even have a clue about basketball? Jackson had to start fouling to make there comeback that is why the discrepancy in the free throws.

SMDH!!’
He wasn’t at the game. I was and I didn’t feel the gap was as big as the stats. Jackson didn’t have many fouls because they were down in regulation, if any. Did give them around 6 in OT trying for a comeback.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Jackson’s coach knows what he’s doing but he doesn’t stay off the refs the whole game.

That’s one of the more experienced crews in the area. They did not alter the game. Burg didn’t hit very well at the line at the end or it would’ve never went into overtime.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:20 pm

You may very well be right, it will depend on the ref and how much of a bump is to much. To say the defender can't bump the offensive player, no you are incorrect in a big way on that one. If the game was played that way the offense would just take it to the defender each time and there'd be no one left to play. If the defensively player is in good position and doesn't have his hands out on the offensive player, so far this year I've seen the contact let go. Seems to me this game followed along with this trend, as you said come tourney who's to say if they call it a bit more touchy than they have so far in the regular season. As far as your other scenario just depends, defender comes down with his arms in the slightest and he's getting called. Sounds like someone else said Holden didn't have 2 fouls in the 1st half anyways and good players know how to play with foul trouble, which he wasn't in. Now once he picks up that 3 foul before half then we can talk about it and see how he plays through it, I've seen big players be in foul trouble and manage it just fine. They might have to let a uncontested layup go here or there but beats the alternative of possibly fouling out because you wanted to try and block a guy in the lane. Basically the theme here is, you thought it was a great win by the pirates, which it was. However, you felt the need to complain about the refs and how this player or that one should've fouled out because you thought they were fouling. Enjoy the win, I'm sure he got away with some things that others thought should've been called.

sportsdude
Waterboy

Post by sportsdude »

I predicted this game go in OT but got the winner wrong. Great game. Wish we could have a rematch at home.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:07 pm
Jackson’s coach knows what he’s doing but he doesn’t stay off the refs the whole game.

That’s one of the more experienced crews in the area. They did not alter the game. Burg didn’t hit very well at the line at the end or it would’ve never went into overtime.
Burg shot 82% on free throws for the game. I’m gonna guess that is above their season average.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:58 pm

Burg shot 82% on free throws for the game. I’m gonna guess that is above their season average.
So? They hit one more of those and there’s no overtime. Jackson shot well at the line late too. In front of the cheer block. Pretty impressive

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:02 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:58 pm

So? They hit one more of those and there’s no overtime. Jackson shot well at the line late too. In front of the cheer block. Pretty impressive
Wallis is nails on the line. I can’t remember others shooting late.

I mean if Burg was 17/28 from the line I could go not with the late free throws avoiding OT. Burg was 23/28, hard to blame free throws at 82+%....Jackson missed shots they normally don’t in the first 2 1/2 quarters or they wouldn’t have been down 17.

Looked like a tough shooter’s gym but I think both teams were very good from 3 point range. Jackson JV was 0/14 from 3 so that backed up my thought.

Burg student section was great...enjoyed them

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

toldya wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:02 pm Thx 92. Gee a little sensitive. Relax and enjoy your recent success in basketball. Heavens knows you have waited a long time for it.

Nice wins but hardly earth shattering. Beat Chillicothe. That would be a nice win.
I believe Jackson already beat Chillicothe? I know they've played once this season, not sure of the outcome though.
edit: nvm im stupid, don't know where i got that from^ lol

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Both teams played well at times though watching Wheelersburg, even up 16 points, I thought that they struggled and were off their game last night. Give credit to Jackson on the comeback. Wheelersburg shot better than 50% on the night for the first three quarters and then shot 20% in the fourth quarter. Jackson shot around 35% for the first three quarters and then shoot over 65% in the fourth quarter during their comeback. As for the free throws, prior to the fourth quarter, Wheelersburg had shot 8 free throws and Jackson had shot 5. All of the free throws either team shot in the fourth quarter were fouled shots. (Got a little more physical in the fourth.) In the overtime, Wheelersburg shot 12 free throws, 10 of which came as Jackson committed 5 fouls to force them to the free throw line. Wheelersburg was 20/29 and Jackson was 9/12. Take out the ten deliberate ones, 13/19 and 9/12. Not outrageous difference by any means. Now if Jackson could hit 75% of their 2's (6/8) and 3's (3/4) (what they shot before the final miss of the fourth quarter) and do it all the time, they could beat anyone. Fun game for the casual fan.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

drrabbit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:05 pm Both teams played well at times though watching Wheelersburg, even up 16 points, I thought that they struggled and were off their game last night. Give credit to Jackson on the comeback. Wheelersburg shot better than 50% on the night for the first three quarters and then shot 20% in the fourth quarter. Jackson shot around 35% for the first three quarters and then shoot over 65% in the fourth quarter during their comeback. As for the free throws, prior to the fourth quarter, Wheelersburg had shot 8 free throws and Jackson had shot 5. All of the free throws either team shot in the fourth quarter were fouled shots. (Got a little more physical in the fourth.) In the overtime, Wheelersburg shot 12 free throws, 10 of which came as Jackson committed 5 fouls to force them to the free throw line. Wheelersburg was 20/29 and Jackson was 9/12. Take out the ten deliberate ones, 13/19 and 9/12. Not outrageous difference by any means. Now if Jackson could hit 75% of their 2's (6/8) and 3's (3/4) (what they shot before the final miss of the fourth quarter) and do it all the time, they could beat anyone. Fun game for the casual fan.
Thanks for the recap.

Burg only 8 free throws first 3 quarters and Jackson only 5 and Burg shot 9 free throws in first 7 minutes while Jackson was fighting back.

Would still enjoy 3 point %....both teams hitting pretty good

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

How many points did Holden Have in regulation

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

allamericanironman wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:20 pm How many points did Holden Have in regulation
1 too many

Return to “Boys Basketball”